Author Topic: Episode 561: What Year Is It  (Read 2301 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 561: What Year Is It
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:24:03 AM »

Jon Lindemann still lists years by the reign of Roman Consuls.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/46592/episode-561-what-year-is-it

This week we run a three-man show through New Business, with Jon not joining us until the second act. Guillaume immediately takes us into an examination of the ethics of the thinly-veiled and dubiously-executed allegory Subsurface Circular. Psst, it's about immigration and automation. Speaking of automation, he also finished off Etrian Odyssey V. He is now eagerly waiting for the Etrian Odyssey robot to generate the next entry in the series. Meanwhile, James finished Dragon Quest Builders. The most terrifying boss he confronted was his own OCD. Greg closes us out with impressions of the Kirby Star Allies demo. Guillaume played it too, but his play - like most of his life - was illicit.

Jon joins us for New Business. This week we tackle the hard-hitting topics: games like Mario + Rabbids and Pikmin 3, keeping your Switch battery young and spry, fan-translated games we would love to get around to, and why Nintendo and BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment are always sneaking off to that closet. You can ask us about with whom we've staged secret liaisons by sending us an email.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 561: What Year Is It
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »
If ben is looking for games of strategy that pretty much stand up on their charm alone, then I'd like to direct him to any given game made by Nippon Ichi, but for a platform I know he owns? Disgaea 5 complete. granted, the charm is in the form of being satire anime that attemps to take the piss of what Otaku tend to want in their video games, but the different sort of flavor may appeal to you, and you'll have so much game on your hands that you'll probably be playing it for a good, long while.

My favorite Fan Translated game is Rudra no Hihou, as that game is not only pretty awesome, but the fan translation required an overhaul of the battle system, given that Language is a HUGE part of how the magic system works in that game.

of course... the original Freeware version of La Mulana was japan only and fan-translated...

Of course, there's a TON of games I would love to try that are fan translated. Nanashi no Game, the DS Square-Enix survival horror game/ Ringu inspired haunted video game game has been on my mind as of recent because the main theme of that game recently got a remix in Final Fantasy XIV (AKA Final Fanfiction as I like to call the game) There's also Keroro RPG/Tales of Sgt. Frog if we're talking about the Wolf Team Namco RPG thing. Namco X Capcom WAS on my radar until I played Project X Zone and realized I had enough banpresto SRPGs for a while.

Another one i've had on my radar for the longest time has been Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru. That's a game I actually would love to see a retroactive on as it'd give me an excuse to play a long-lost but coveted game by the guys at Nintendo R&D1.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:56:30 AM by ClexYoshi »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »
We don't take retroactive suggestions from you anymore, Clex.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
We don't take retroactive suggestions from you anymore, Clex.

Correct response.

Oh well. Someday I'll get off my rear and play Kaeru. it's kinda the long-lost sister game to Link's Awakening and Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:37:11 AM »
Who says Jon isn't a professional journalist (James)? Fact-checking himself while on the podcast! Can't ask for more than that. I remember Jon mentioning the falling asleep story before, only then he said that someone fell asleep in front of Hiroshi Yamauchi, thus causing the Pimp-Hand to cut ties with that company. I knew the real story from reading Game Over by David Sheff, but for whatever reason, I didn't bother to post it. Neither did anyone else from what I remember, so I guess I wasn't the only lazy, apathetic one. :p I was going to do it this time until Jon ended the episode on a fitting note!

After the divergence, I figured James was going to rightly (?) not mention the man beam sentence, but an unseen force must have compelled him! And why use one Cho-Aniki reference when you can squeeze out (?) another one in the farewell.

I'd like to play the translated versions of several Super Famicom RPGs like Treasure of the Rudras, Bahamut Lagoom, Treasure Hunter G. Also Wrecking Crew '98. It looks like the guy who had the Famicom Bunko: Hajimari no Mori Super Famicom game has dropped working on the game. Too bad. So many latter-day Super Famicom games yet to be translated.

A team is slowly working on Great Ace Attorney. Looks like it'll be finished before Kingdom Hearts 3 or FF7 Undead Edition! I typoed Kingdom Hearts into Hearst. Prophetic perhaps?

BTW I'm eating Wasabi-flavored Doritos Nachos right now. Limited time only, folks!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:38:43 AM by MASB »

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:38:07 AM »
I plug Switch in to phone charger while playing in handheld mode, makes battery last 3x time longer.