Author Topic: Metroid Prime Trilogy To Ship In Collector's Tin  (Read 17591 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Metriod Prime Trilogy Special Edition Announced
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 06:10:48 PM »
Even though I might not play through any of these games in their entirety, this package is way too enticing.

It has overarching achievments. That alone is all kinds of awesome.

I actually know of a forum that created their own forum-based achievments for Nintendo systems. You report in the post when you complete one of them and you get some points that are added to your total that is tracked on the OP. That is something I have considered starting here, but I don't want to try it until I get my own computer to spend time doing it on (ordering it today or tomorrow).

The achievements are great because they actually help you unlock stuff unlike ::cough Xbox 360 and PS3::cough::.

Fixed
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »
I thought you could do things with your trophies at least? Like display them on a shelf in Home? Or was I just assuming Animal Crossing features would be in Home?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 06:19:03 PM »
I said it once and I'll say it again...This is unlike Nintendo.
I would say it is unlike the current Nintendo. Don't forget about Super Mario All-Stars, that's very similar to this.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »
I said it once and I'll say it again...This is unlike Nintendo.
I would say it is unlike the current Nintendo. Don't forget about Super Mario All-Stars, that's very similar to this.

Wasn't that just a later pack-in for the SNES to help boost sales near the end of it's life? Memory is vague, but wasn't the N64 facing delays so they could have made All-Stars to help extend the life of the SNES to cover for the delayed N64 and the failure of the Virtual Boy. Both I imagine would have covered the extended gap from the 64's development lag.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
Super Mario All-Stars was released in 1993 and was not part of a system bundle. Super Mario World 2 was what became part of a bundle.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »
I thought you could do things with your trophies at least? Like display them on a shelf in Home?

That's what was supposed to happen. Remember how long it took them to semi-complete Home? That's right.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 06:38:23 PM »
I thought you could do things with your trophies at least? Like display them on a shelf in Home?

That's what was supposed to happen. Remember how long it took them to semi-complete Home? That's right.

the IGN guys actually made me want to get Home once. Because they were talking about how they would break the game by barricading doors with couches and building bridges with the couches from one building to another.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »
Home sucks balls. It's a lame advertising venue that takes way too long to load and has to update way too frequently. It had the potential to be good, but so far it hasn't.

Super Mario All-Stars was not bundled, but Nintendo later made a new version of that game (which also included Super Mario World) that was bundled with the SNES. That 5-in-1 cartridge is semi-rare because it was only available as part of a bundle.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
Home sucks balls. It's a lame advertising venue that takes way too long to load and has to update way too frequently. It had the potential to be good, but so far it hasn't.

You also forget that apparently you can't delete it once you install it, so once you have it you're stuck with it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »

You also forget that apparently you can't delete it once you install it, so once you have it you're stuck with it.

What? I didn't know that.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »

Can't you at least still format the hard drive?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »
I just realized it says "Metriod" in the headline instead of "Metroid".  May want to fix that. :)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »

Apparently it posseses your PS3 and if you do not format it within the first 48 hours it will turn all of the electrical appliances in your house against you. ;)

Your right, TJ, it was the 5 in 1 that was bundled not regular All-Stars.

@Ian
LOL, I think you're the first person to notice that.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 07:35:52 PM »

I suppose you could, but since you'd lose all of your saved progress in everything (unless you backed it up onto an external device) and would have to reinstall about 3 years' worth of firmware updates I don't know if you'd want to do that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
@Ian
LOL, I think you're the first person to notice that.
Nope. I just ignore spelling/grammar mistakes or else I'd drive myself crazy. I'd also be posting in lots of articles pointing them out. Even if it's a headline I'm still going to keep my mouth shut.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:25 PM »
Like Ian said, it's Metroid. Someone fix the damn thing.

What? I didn't know that.

You can. I just did. The 3111MB that it was using are no longer being used, but the Home icon does stay with no use whatsoever other than that you can click on it again if you wish to download it again.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »
Home is in your PS3, hacking your megabytes.

Back on topic.

Is this confirmed to have all three games on one disc or will it be a three dics set?
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
Home is in your PS3, hacking your megabytes.

Back on topic.

Is this confirmed to have all three games on one disc or will it be a three dics set?

I think it has been, you can select between the games and I would guess that helps keep the achievements so they work across games when you get the tokens.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 02:56:42 AM »
A special edition version of a re-release of a sequel of which the first already saw a re-release.

Nintendo going in hard for the moneyhats.

Care to explain? Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were released on Gamecube. Once each (later marked as best sellers, but that was just a change in box art, not a re-release). 3 was released on Wii. Once. Now all three games are in one special Wii trilogy collection with updated controls and special features. That's two versions of each game on the market.

Or are you referring to the fact that the PAL version of MP1 was delayed for a year and then had additional content when it finally shipped? I'd hardly call that a re-release.
This sounds like a pretty epic deal to me, and I'll gladly be buying it even though I own all three games. I'd rather they do it this way than individual releases like the New Play Control Metroid Prime series in Japan...
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »
Besides the gold cart of OOT, when was the last time Nintendo made a special edition of anything?

Does the bonus OoT/Master Quest disk that came with Wind Waker count?

Majora did the same gold pre-order thing, and that box had a cool holo front. I think I saved that one when my parents convinced me to throw them all out.

Wasn't every Majora cart like that, making it a very similar "special edition" to this Metroid one? Or was the hologram label only on some of those gold carts (I believe they were all gold carts for MM)?
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »
Yes, only the first releases of MM had the holographic label.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
Yes, only the first releases of MM had the holographic label.

And a friend of mine found both Ocarina and Majora special gold editions in a pawn shop for dirt cheap. I thought it was funny because they can fetch a pretty penny online.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime Trilogy To Ship In Collector's Tin
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2009, 05:16:11 PM »
Yeah, all North American copies of Zelda: Majora's Mask are gold. The funny thing is, the "collector's edition" with the holographic label is actually MORE common than the non-holographic one. Is that ironic?

I imagine the same thing would happen to this trilogy, if a standard version is released. Things labeled as being special or for collectors rarely end up valuable or rare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2009, 05:22:13 PM »
Yeah, all North American copies of Zelda: Majora's Mask are gold. The funny thing is, the "collector's edition" with the holographic label is actually MORE common than the non-holographic one. Is that ironic?

I imagine the same thing would happen to this trilogy, if a standard version is released. Things labeled as being special or for collectors rarely end up valuable or rare.

For Zelda I think it is understandable because didn't over a million people pre-order Ocarina? When you have that many copies wandering about it would be cheaper. I doubt there will be a non-collectore edition of this. The trilogy being on one disc what makes it a collectors edition.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2009, 06:08:55 PM »
For Zelda I think it is understandable because didn't over a million people pre-order Ocarina?
Only 50,000 gold cartridges of Zelda: Ocarina of Time were produced so they went to the first 50,000 pre-orders.