Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3153700 times)

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #5850 on: March 11, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
Ohhhh lol, I don't even know why that'll even be in question then.  The wiiu is coming out in 2012, it damn well better be able to support tech from 2009.

Damn, e3 is going to be epic.  Seeing nintendo games built around current tech is going to be something special.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: March 11, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
Unreal Engine 3 was the most popular engine of this generation, but I think it also had the least imaginative games and the art design usually had a very similar feel across the games that used it. I hope another engine is more popular next gen.
Alice: Madness Returns, Asura's Wrath, Mirror's Edge, and TERA look similar to each other?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3

Granted most of the UE3 games look like Gears of War, but that is not the fault of the engine.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: March 11, 2012, 10:56:58 PM »
Mortal Kombat (9) ran on Unreal Engine 3...doesn't seem anything at all like Gears if War 3.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: March 11, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »
There are exceptions, sure, but even Asura's wrath looks very Gears of War to me. Most of the games using the engine have that too shiny, too bumpy, too chunky UE3 look.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5854 on: March 11, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »
I find it funny that, according to Wikipedia, Zumba Fitness uses Unreal Engine 3.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:22 AM »
What other major next-gen engines are out there that will be contemporary to UE4? Frostbite 2?

Talked to my source again. Nothing else actually. This person didn't get to do extensive research on engines or anything. They were at GDC for other business and nonesense regarding the company.

You should ask him if he has a devkit.

if yes:
does it contain more or less than 3GB RAM
if more:
is it closer to 4GB or 3GB

Is there another feature to the uMote that we haven't heard about yet?
if yes:
is it from additional hardware added since E3 (such as a rear facing camera, analog triggers or something along those lines)

What AMD GPU would he most closely associate the Wii U GPU and why?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:25:00 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: March 12, 2012, 03:01:38 AM »
For the person who mentioned Direct X 12, that is a product that is at least 2 years out as Windows 8 will be coming with Direct X 11.1.  So you'd have to wait for Windows 9 before 12 would even exist.  UE4 is DX11 based I believe.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »
Well I assumed based on that UE3 was for DX9/10/11, and that UE4 would be for the next DX's. I didn't state it as fact.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: March 12, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
Microsoft have shipped the next version of DX on the same OS before.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
What other major next-gen engines are out there that will be contemporary to UE4? Frostbite 2?

Talked to my source again. Nothing else actually. This person didn't get to do extensive research on engines or anything. They were at GDC for other business and nonesense regarding the company.

You should ask him if he has a devkit.

if yes:
does it contain more or less than 3GB RAM
if more:
is it closer to 4GB or 3GB

Is there another feature to the uMote that we haven't heard about yet?
if yes:
is it from additional hardware added since E3 (such as a rear facing camera, analog triggers or something along those lines)
What AMD GPU would he most closely associate the Wii U GPU and why?

Nothing! The only thing added was app support for the Upad. Only he didn't seem so sure about it. He said he would keep me updated with info though.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Karanlos

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: March 12, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
I'm going to assume that UE4 is intended for DirectX 12 and up which would be quite a leap from 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRp_mVi969I

Wait what? Quite a leap? DirectX 12? ;P?

Okay let's take it from the beginning. Direct3D 8 to 9 was quite a leap because developers could now program the Vertex and Pixel shaders. This is one of the reasons Wii didn't get nay ports more or less because the engine had to be rewritten to fit the Wii API which has the same features as Direct3D 8 more or less. Direct3D 8 is really static. Adding lamps in a scene requires you to add them via the API. With 9  u merely had to add them as a variable in the pixel shader.

Direct3D 9 to 10 was quite a leap because the GPU architecture went from being devided into vertex- and pixel shader units into a unified arcihtecture where every units could do everything. Things means you didn't have to have in mind the vertex shaders could be starving while pixel shaders could keep up.
Direct3D 10 to 11 was a minor upgrade, mostly only adding tessellation, other than that it was only API changes.

Wii U has a modern GPU with modern architecture. The 4870 is more or less a 5770 or 6750 or 7750 with the lack of a proper tessellation unit.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:08:41 PM by Karanlos »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: March 12, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
Wii U has a modern GPU with modern architecture. The 4870 is more or less a 5770 or 6750 or 7750 with the lack of a proper tessellation unit.
And the GPU in the WiiU can easily be modified to do proper tessellation, though it may not be extremely necessary.  Tessellation is only just now being utilized more substantially in PC games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
3 New IP's @ E3 for Nintendo?
« Reply #5862 on: March 13, 2012, 01:13:09 AM »
Nintendo to reveal atleast 3 new IP's @ E3!?
http://www.forgetthebox.net/uncategorized/nintendo-working-on-at-least-three-new-franchises-for-the-wii-u.php
We are hearing from our sources that there will be between ten to eleven Nintendo published retail games shown for the Wii U at E3, with the rest of the Wii U games being third party titles. It seems that Nintendo already knows what titles they will be revealing and displaying at E3 even though E3 is still a little less than three months away. Around 70 Wii U games are currently in development from a variety of publishers, and Nintendo will be publishing/releasing four Wii U games of their own before the end of 2012. We’ve been told that Nintendo is considering keeping the price of the Wii U lower than they want to, and they will release a tsunami wave of 3DS and Wii U software this holiday season to soften the blow from hardware losses.

According to our insider source, Nintendo has at least three new franchises in development by various studios for the Wii U. Nintendo has always been under criticism for recycling their existing franchises over and over again, and it seems that Nintendo may have taken some of that criticism to heart. Nintendo had recently published new intellectual properties such as Pandora’s Tower, Xenoblade Chronicles, and The Last Story for the Wii, and then they published Dillon’s Rolling Western, Pushmo, and Freaky Forms for the 3DS. It seems more evident that Nintendo is pushing harder for new franchises and more creativity.

that seems like a lot of detail for what Nintendo has planned. I wonder how credible this rumor is as I'm not very familiar with the site it's coming from.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: March 13, 2012, 01:25:18 AM »
Wow that sounds exciting but sounds a little too good to be true. Or you know maybe not. A new Wii like series could be one or 2 of them. I'm hoping for at least 1 character based, story driven IP.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: March 13, 2012, 01:47:34 AM »
I hope one of the new IPs is an FPS. It probably isn't, but that's what I would hope for. Microsoft and Sony have their own exclusive FPS games, but this is the one genre Nintendo is completely devoid of and it should be addressed.
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5865 on: March 13, 2012, 02:48:57 AM »
Nintendo having an exclusive and successful shooter series or two would be good. Don't know who would be making it unless Retro would be okay staring down the barrel of a different gun for the good part of another decade. Maybe Nintendo can fuse/collaborate Retro, High Voltage, and n-Space and make some magic!

The rumor that interests me most is Nintendo taking a loss on the Wii U. Given the history of how Nintendo profits off of selling hardware, this is an unexpected and aggressive move if it is true. It might mean a cheap home console, or it could be that the system has a lot of pep.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: March 13, 2012, 07:11:44 AM »
The rumor that interests me most is Nintendo taking a loss on the Wii U. Given the history of how Nintendo profits off of selling hardware, this is an unexpected and aggressive move if it is true. It might mean a cheap home console, or it could be that the system has a lot of pep.
Yeah, I'd be really surprised if Nintendo took a loss on hardware out of the gate. Is that really a smart strategy? I'm not convinced that they're taking a loss on 3DS but I recall reading years ago that they took a small loss during the GameCube years after one of the price drops (possibly when they cut it to $99, not sure though).

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was willing to break even on hardware. That's a fair compromise. Still, in terms of spending money, I really wish Nintendo would start using better components in their hardware, specifically things like glass screens, bigger/better lithium ion batteries, a better/faster Wi-Fi chip etc. I'm just listing things on 3DS but they apply to Wii U also. I hope Nintendo manages to get the tablet controller to last at least 15-20 hours on a single charge.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: March 13, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »
Reading what BnM posted My take away is:

3 Months out they better know what there going to be showing at E3 for the most part.  Good, large scale, custom presentations take time to make.

...that Nintendo is considering keeping the price of the Wii U lower than they want to...

We all know that Nintendo has a pretty good profit margin on most there products.  For Nintendo getting say 1% above cost on the Hardware is not as much as they like.

I'm not going to comment on the numbers and that last paragraph could just as easily be an educated guess.  The reasoning is given in there.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5868 on: March 13, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
I think Nintendo should rebrand Custom Robo with a robust online feature. Some team style death match gameplay would really fit with the series. But new IPs are cool too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »
I would love another Custom Robo game.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: March 13, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
Traditionally Nintendo never sold their hardware for a loss, but what may make the Wii U different is that this time around Nintendo has a shitload of money which they've made over the last 6 years from the extremely successful DS and Wii. All of this extra money Nintendo has at its disposal may change their thinking about selling hardware at a loss. They would definitely make it back in software sales, so I don't see it as much of a risk.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »
It's not just that. I think the market is definitely more price conscious now, and weak foreign exchange rates will also cut into their profitability on each sale.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: March 13, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
They had a lot of money going into the N64 from the Super Nintendo.  Nintendo is never hurting for money, but they make choices to insure that will continue.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: March 13, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
Yeah, there's a reason Nintendo has all that money saved up: they've resisted many past temptations to spend it. This fiscal conservatism enables their consistent artistic radicalism, and always keeps them buffered against a fate like Sega's.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: March 13, 2012, 02:21:47 PM »
Wow that sounds exciting but sounds a little too good to be true. Or you know maybe not. A new Wii like series could be one or 2 of them. I'm hoping for at least 1 character based, story driven IP.

I'm hoping for something story driven as well.  Steel Diver is new IP but do I give a ****?  It needs to be something exciting where we are introduced to a new world and form an emotional connection with it.  Wii Sports was a licence to print money but is there any emotional interest in it like fans have for Mario, Pokemon, Zelda?  It's just customized avatars playing sports.  Not every game can have a mythology to it but that is what I really want out of a new IP from Nintendo.

The low price thing is encouraging because it is not associated with Nintendo intentionally borking the specs to achieve it.  I want good value, not something cheap.  It also suggests that Nintendo learned from the 3DS.