Author Topic: How We Think Smash Bros. 3DS Should Be Updated  (Read 3251 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
How We Think Smash Bros. 3DS Should Be Updated
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:00:30 AM »

After playing countless hours, here are a few ideas on how to make Smash Bros. on 3DS better.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/38799/how-we-think-smash-bros-3ds-should-be-updated

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS has been out for a few weeks now and I've spent way too much time playing it. While the game is extremely fun, I have found that there are several changes and additional features I'd like to see made available through future software patches.

While no major update is guaranteed, Nintendo has already released a patch for the game on day one that, as far as we know, improved the online play.  How far they are willing to go with these updates is currently unknown. That said, Satoru Iwata has stated that Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS would support Amiibo, so some sort of update is likely in the works to accommodate this promised feature.

So without further ado, here are my wants in a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS update.

2.jpg

Characters

Yes, we all want more characters added to the roster. Personally I'd like to see Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Wolf, and Lucas make a comeback. We could talk about this all day, so I'm just going to end it with that. (I won't be going into character balance changes. While it's something I'd like to see eventually, the meta game is too young to make smart tweaks.)

3.jpg

Stages

I feel like there are currently too many stages that move too much or have some sort of stage hazard. There is nothing really wrong with these, but more stages that are considered tournament viable would be nice too. Not every level needs a ridiculous feature. So hopefully we see a few more levels added to the game or maybe just a way to turn off specific stage hazards.Also, why is there still an open space on the stage select screen? Is this hinting at something, or will it become one of those unsolvable Nintendo mysteries?

4.jpg

The online mode actually works this time around and is surprisingly fun and addictive. However, that doesn't mean a few positive changes can't be made.

Multiple For Glory Modes - I like to play Smash Bros. tournament style without items, so this mode is perfect for me. However, I don't know of any Smash Bros. competitions that only use Final Destination. For that reason, I'd like the For Glory mode to be split into two.

The current For Glory model can still exist and be called Omega For Glory. Then a new For Glory option should be added that adds a wider list of playable stages.

Custom Moves - It's understandable that, currently, the online modes do not allow for the use of custom moves. However, I do think that optional modes should be added for people wishing to use them. So there should be For Fun and For Glory (both Omega and with more stages) modes that let players use Custom Moves. I still think equipment and Mii Fighters should be banned in this mode.

Team Battles - Yes, it's currently possible to play two vs. two battles online. Though what's really baffling is the fact that there is no way to team up with a friend. Does anyone really want to play doubles with randomly assigned allies?  I’d love for it to be possible to team up with someone on my friends list.

Rivals - Past Nintendo titles made it possible to add players you enjoyed playing against to a Rivals list (with the consent of that player). It’d be great if this Feature was brought to Smash Bros.

5.jpg

Smash Run – Smash Run is a major mode that is exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version. I’ve played it all by myself countless times in order to complete challenges and to unlock various goods. The downside is it’s a very lonely mode for a lot of people. It would be nice if there were a way to make Smash Run work online.

Communities - Mario Kart 7 and 8 both featured Communities or Tournaments. Basically, someone could set one of these up with whatever rules they made and people could join and play with other members with the Community code. It was a great way to play against other people who have similar rule tastes to your own. I have no idea why Smash Bros. doesn't take advantage of this.

Amiibo Battles - Once Amiibo support is implemented I'm hoping they add some online modes that support the figures. It would be great to let my Amiibo figures fight online against other player's figures in either one vs. one or two vs. two battles. Heck, we should also be able to do two vs. two fights where I can fight alongside my Amiibo. Not only would this be fun, but it would add value to Nintendo's new line of toys.

7.jpg

Multi-Man Smash

Currently after successfully completing one of these challenges, players are required to exit out of the mode and reenter it in order to play again with a different character. Other Stadium modes in the game offer an option to play again with a different character. Why is that feature absent here?

7.jpg

Shops

Trophies are only one of the major collectables in this game. So the shop, which often contains trophies the player has yet to unlock, is a very nice addition. After playing hours of that Trophy Shooter mini-game in Brawl, you better believe I appreciate it.Sadly, there is currently no shop for Custom Parts. Custom Parts, especially Custom Moves and Mii Accessories, are extremely annoying to obtain. So a shop selling these major additions to the Super Smash Bros. experience would be very welcome and save players a ton of unnecessary time required to grind for everything. Heck, they could even make this long grind a bit less stressful to players by not letting duplicates drop until everything is collected.

8.jpg

Replay Sharing

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS lets players save match replays in a way that is vastly improved over how it was handled in Brawl. Sadly, there is currently no way to share these replays with friends. Hopefully a replay-sharing feature is patched in, or maybe Nintendo could release a standalone application to share and view this data.

9.jpg

Further New Nintendo 3DS Support

Our own Danny Bivens has tried Smash Bros. out on Nintendo’s updated handheld. The good news is, yes the C-stick is supported, as are the new ZL and ZR buttons. The bad news is that there is currently no way to change the controls for any of the new buttons on the New 3DS. Hopefully a future update will allow users to assign their own commands to the new shoulder buttons and allow players to choose between the new or old style of C-stick functionality.

-

Do you think I missed something important? Do you like these changes? Have an idea of your own? Let us hear about it in the talkback thread below!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: How We Think Smash Bros. 3DS Should Be Updated
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:15:45 PM »
My list is completely different.

- More Options: The list of settings is smaller than even Melee. Custom item frequency is a omission that many players have noted. I would also like to have a pure random stage selection that lets me just skip that screen and get into fighting. Also, there needs to be a way to save your settings as a new default. It doesn't make sense that I would need to change Stock from 2 to 3 every time I go into the main Smash mode.

- Smash Run Tweaks: The final match rules should be announced before the 5-minute period, not after, so players can strategically decide where to go and what upgrades to prioritize. You should be able to choose a spawn point, both at the start and when you die. This mode also needs a better explanation of what the pick-ups do, and you should be able to choose the default touch screen display (map vs. stats).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
I don't want more tournament stages.  In fact I like less.  Every stage has a flat mode but, one of the most interesting stages is the Freak'n Fire Emblem stage.  Really?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »
Instead of running a blank screen during boot and closure, I want a video of Sakurai's cat eating a Ridley doll.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline perryb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »
I'm completely satisfied with the amount of players and stages. I agree with Jonny, and I also want an adventure mode within Smash Run.  I love Smash Run, it just needs a sense of progression.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »
I want an option to turn off stage hazards.

Offline necro909

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »
I am probably going to give up Smash, finding it a slightly boring and simplistic. I will stay only if Princess Daisy is made a proper character

Offline InvaderREN

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 03:40:56 AM »
1. Item Frequency.
2. Regular stages in "For Glory".
3. Item Frequency.
4. Item Frequency.