Author Topic: Marvel's Midnight Suns Switch Release Cancelled  (Read 716 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Marvel's Midnight Suns Switch Release Cancelled
« on: May 02, 2023, 08:39:56 AM »

Superhero strategy will not be going portable.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/63614/marvels-midnight-suns-switch-release-cancelled

Another dose of strategy will not be coming to Switch after all.

A version of the Firaxis-developed turn based strategy game Marvel's Midnight Suns was announced for Switch release alongside other versions in 2021 with a target date of March, but the game ended up slipping to December 2022 and only launching on PlayStation 5, the Xbox Series, and PC. In an announcement today of the (digital-only) PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release date, a note was included "Note that a Nintendo Switch version of Marvel's Midnight Suns is no longer planned".

Developer Firaxis did not provide further comment.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel's Midnight Suns Switch Release Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 02:51:54 PM »
Given the delay and then the weak sales, this isn't a surprised.

I wonder if Hogwart's Legacy's Switch version will get canned as well.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel's Midnight Suns Switch Release Cancelled
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 06:53:13 PM »
Given the delay and then the weak sales, this isn't a surprised.

I wonder if Hogwart's Legacy's Switch version will get canned as well.

Well, if it does get cancelled, it won't be for lack of sales from the other versions. Much to the chagrin of some on this site, I'm sure. And having played the game on PS5, it's not an especially impressive game, visually. You could definitely trim back on some effects and draw distances to get that to work on even a device as perpetually underpowered as the Switch, at least when docked.

As for Midnight Suns, it's a card-based XCOM Marvel re-skin. You have to wonder how much they realistically expected to sell to begin with. I'm sure releasing the main versions in early December did the game no favors, either.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.