Community Forums > Movies & TV

Khushrenada's Annual Oscar Thread. 2016 Edition.

<< < (3/3)

Khushrenada:
My top ten of 2015 are:

10. The Revenant
09. The Big Short
08. Brooklyn
07. Kingsman: The Secret Service
06. The Martian
05. Creed
04. Room
03. The Walk
02. Jurassic World
01. Inside Out

I was going to comment on some of this but this thread doesn't seem to have much interest besides my own so let's move on to Oscar Predications!

Khushrenada:
Oscar Predications:

Best Picture - The Big Short
Best Director - Alejandro G. Inarritu
Best Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio
Best Actress - Brie Larson
Best Supporting Actor - Sylvester Stallone
Best Supporting Actress - Alicia Vikander
Best Original Screenplay - Spotlight
Best Adapted Screenplay - The Big Short
Best Cinematography - The Revenant
Best Film Editing - Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Foreign Language Film - Son of Saul
Best Animated Film - Inside Out
Best Documentary - Amy
Best Production Design - Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Costume Design - Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Make-up and Hair - Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Original Score - The Hateful Eight, Ennio Morricone
Best Original Song - Til it Happens to You, “The Hunting Grounds”
Best Visual Effects - Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Best Sound Editing - Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Sound Mixing - The Revenant
Best Short Film - Ave Maria
Best Animated Short - World Of Tomorrow 
Best Short Documentary - Body Team 12

Khushrenada:
The boldest choice is probably my Best Picture prediction. The smart choice seems to be The Revenant and I'm probably going to take a loss on it but I just feel like it could be an upset. There's certain factors that I think give The Big Short a chance but I'm not going to get into them now.

The acting categories seem to be pretty locked up although the Supporting Actor categories are a bit closer with Stallone vs Rylance and Vikander vs Winslet. If Bale beats both Stallone and Rylance and actually wins best supporting Actor, then I'm going to feel very confident about my best picture prediction.

Most other picks I feel very sure about although there are a couple of them that are a two horse race but one nominee seems to be further ahead than the other to make me feel safe enough choosing them.

It's the last 6 choices I've listed that seem to be a wild west and I could see myself totally bombing out on. If you want to play along and try and beat me, choosing different winners there will probably be your best chance. Or you could just choose The Revenant as Best Picture winner and choose everything else the same as me. But what's the fun in that?

I'm looking forward to the show and seeing how well I do. The dream is still to get 100% right. Even though I'm going against the grain with The Big Short, I'm still choosing it in the hopes I get that mythical 100%. Best I've done is 22/24. Last year was a setback for me so here's hoping for a rebound performance this year which won't be easy in a year with a lot of unpredictability.

For now, I'm going to go and get some Chinese food and settle in for the night.

Khushrenada:
And the final results:

Best Picture - The Big Short

Wrong. (All though I was right to bet against The Revenant. I just chose he wrong topical film.)

Best Director - Alejandro G. Inarritu

Right.

Best Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio

Right.

Best Actress - Brie Larson

Right.

Best Supporting Actor - Sylvester Stallone

Wrong. (I knew it was a two-horse race between Stallone and Rylance but I believed the Stallone hype train even though I knew Rylance had the more memorable performance having seen Bridge of Spies and Creed. Rylance steals the show from Tom Hanks somehow.)

Best Supporting Actress - Alicia Vikander

Right.

Best Original Screenplay - Spotlight

Right.

Best Adapted Screenplay - The Big Short

Right.

Best Cinematography - The Revenant

Right.

Best Film Editing - Mad Max: Fury Road

Right.

Best Foreign Language Film - Son of Saul

Right.

Best Animated Film - Inside Out

Right.

Best Documentary - Amy

Right.

Best Production Design - Mad Max: Fury Road

Right.

Best Costume Design - Mad Max: Fury Road

Right.

Best Make-up and Hair - Mad Max: Fury Road

Right.

Best Original Score - The Hateful Eight, Ennio Morricone

Right.

Best Original Song - Til it Happens to You, “The Hunting Grounds”

Wrong. (I thought about going with the Bond song but Gaga seemed to have all the support in Oscar predictions and Skyfall won best song a few years back and Writing on the Wall didn't seem as strong as that one. Gaga performed bits from The Sound of Music a year ago to great reviews and it seemed like the Oscar community was embracing her. The great thing about this upset is that Sam Smith's singing seemed to be a bit of a mess whereas Gaga's performance was spot on and got the crowd the most emotional from what was shown. When Sam Smith won, the crowd seemed pretty shocked.)

Best Visual Effects - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Wrong. (This is probably the biggest upset to me. It was already a tough category and I can't think of anyone who had chosen or suggested Ex Machina as the potential winner in this category. It would have been my last choice here. Just wow.)

Best Sound Editing - Mad Max: Fury Road

Right.

Best Sound Mixing - The Revenant

Wrong. (That's what I get for splitting the sound categories between Mad Max and The Revenant to ensure I'd get one right.)

Best Short Film - Ave Maria

Wrong. (Not a surprise. Support was all over the place for nominees in this category and it was the only one I considered a 4 way race.)

Best Animated Short - World Of Tomorrow 

Wrong. (A lot of pundits were predicting Bear Story but I chose World of Tomorrow because it had gotten some high critical praise and I thought that might translate to a win.)

Best Short Documentary - Body Team 12

Wrong. (I also didn't see this one coming. Predictions seemed to be divided between this film and Memories of the Shoah but somehow A Girl in the River pulled out the win.)

End Result: 16/24. Unsurprisingly, the 6 categories I was most worried about kicked my butt with only 1 correct choice in them. Combined with the misses in Supporting Actor, Song and my Best Picture risk, it was just an average performance by me. Better than a poor performance but still so short from what I was hoping for.

I hope you all enjoyed this year's Oscar thread and I look forward to wasting your time with one again next year.

BlackNMild2k1:
you got enough right that you should call in and play the odds with your local bookie next time and get paid for this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version