Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 682287 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)
« Reply #2125 on: February 06, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »
Finally if there isn't any other major trades then this would be the last one. 

The Clippers, Knicks and Wizards have agreed to a three-team trade that will land Marcus Morris and Isaiah Thomas with the Clippers, league sources tell ESPN. Jerome Robinson will join the Wizards, Moe Harkless and a 2020 first-round pick to the Knicks.    https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225508038418849795

So with Clippers getting Isaiah Thomas in all likelihood Collison is going to the Lakers.

Suns and Lakers didn't make a move as of this post. This is good for the Lakers. Less so for the Suns.  With D'lo and KAT together on the T-Wolves I don't expect that Booker is going to be with the Suns much longer.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 06, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »
What do Warriors fans think about getting Wiggins...

Wiggins is a bust who in no way makes the Warriors better and is owed 94 million over the next 3 seasons. Any "production" he gives the team comes at the cost of depth at the end of the bench that we desperately need given our aging, oft-injured superstars. I'll happily eat crow if I'm proved otherwise but it's safe to say that Warriors brass made a mistake thinking so highly of him.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:36:19 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 06, 2020, 04:13:20 PM »
I can’t defend the Russell/Wiggins trade from the Warriors’ perspective. Everyone knew the Timberwolves salivated at the mere thought of pairing Towns and Russell. I expected the Warriors to rake the Timberwolves over the coals whether at the deadline or this summer.
With D'lo and KAT together on the T-Wolves I don't expect that Booker is going to be with the Suns much longer.
Pardon my ignorance. How are these related?

The Clippers getting Morris sucks for the Lakers. Brightest timeline would have been keeping Kuzma and the Clippers not improving.

I wonder if Rose is getting bought out. He serves no real purpose on the Pistons right now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:16:40 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 06, 2020, 05:21:45 PM »
This is Wiggins chance to shine.
If he survives the summer trades, he better make the best of being teamed up with the Dubs Big 3, and get a ring.
We coming back full force next season, and we could use a big athletic man down low that can also stretch the floor.

Edit:
Dray gonna love having someone to feed inside again, and also another person to kick out to. Could be a really good fit if Wiggins rises to the opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:15:05 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2129 on: February 06, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
Quote from: BeautifulShy on Today at 01:14:03 PM
With D'lo and KAT together on the T-Wolves I don't expect that Booker is going to be with the Suns much longer.

Pardon my ignorance. How are these related?

Booker, D'lo and KAT are all friends and have said that they are going to be on a team together sometime in the future.    https://arizonasports.com/story/2123032/dlo-devin-booker-karl-anthony-towns-and-himself-will-play-together/   

Consider this the new LeBron, Wade and Bosh/ Carmello trade.   
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: February 06, 2020, 06:31:52 PM »
I edited my previous post regarding Wiggins.

And the Grizz just sent Iguodala to the Heat for Justice Winslow.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2131 on: February 06, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »
Looks like the NBA All-Star Draft is finished and these are the players drafted to their respective teams.

Team LeBron Starters

LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard
Luka Doncic
James Harden

Reserves
Damian Lillard
Ben Simmons
Nikola Jokic
Jayson Tatum
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Domantas Sabonis

Team Giannis Starters

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Joel Embiid
Pascal Siakam
Kemba Walker
Trae Young

Reserves
Khris Middleton
Bam Adebayo
Rudy Gobert
Jimmy Butler
Kyle Lowry
Brandon Ingram
Donovan Mitchell
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:35:21 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: February 06, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
I presume that’s the order in which the players were picked. Jebus, James ended up with Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, AND Luka Dončić? I feel like Antetokounmpo deliberately didn’t pick Leonard because of last year’s playoffs. I get James picking Davis first because teammates/Klutch. There’s just no universe in which Leonard should be picked third based on talent/skill.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2133 on: February 06, 2020, 07:59:51 PM »
Yes AD was drafted first by LeBron and the Giannis picked Embid.   One thing to note is all the starters remained in their own conference.  Reserves there was a mix of both conferences. 

I mean when you think about Giannis and how he plays with him in the middle and shooters around him the starting lineup doesn't look too bad.  That is really the only lens I can say the starters were ideal choices for his team.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 07, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
... I feel like Antetokounmpo deliberately didn’t pick Leonard because of last year’s playoffs. ...

And yet he did pick Siakam (earlier than I had expected) and Lowry. Not sure that the playoffs last year were really the deciding factor - his "my other African brother" comment about Siakam made me think that regional loyalty might have influenced him to pick Embiid opposite Davis, much like it influenced him to take Middleton as the first reserve.

I still feel bad that Booker couldn't make the cut.
Will there be any injury replacements this year? I wondered in particular about Luka and Embiid, who are dealing with issues that might make rest more appealing.

One other interesting note: is it my imagination, or did Ingram fall pretty far below where his skillset might suggest he be picked? Felt like James specifically didn't want him... hahaha.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:05:58 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 08, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »
I just wanna to revisit my thoughts on Wiggins. I know the kid is talented, but doesn't really have the work ethic to be the player he shows the promise to be. He's been very "ho-hum" in Minnesota, occasionally reminding people he was a top pick for split seconds at a time.
I think him getting in that GS culture next to both Step, Klay and Dray who all have a good chemistry and great work ethic may spark something in this kid to want to live up to something and realize he may actually have a chance to succeed here now that he has a chance could ignite the flame and give it focus to it burns harder and brighter.

I have to admit, I haven't watched him play much, as I never pay attention to the Timberwolves, out side of those Prince Jerseys (fire), but he could be an asset if he gets properly motivated and buys into the culture. I hear the culture in Minny was not good, and all they did was play videogames.

On the other hand..... D-Lo and Steph and Klay could've been fun to watch, but honestly, I never expected D-Lo to last past the trade deadline.... and even if he did somehow, never past the summer. Probably could've gotten more for him during the summer, but the Wiggins trade could undervalued trade since Wiggins has plenty of potential from everything I've heard, he just need to be polished and focused.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:09 PM »
So...yeah, that happened. Bognanovic with a ridiculous, off-balance game-winning 3 at the buzzer with only 1.6 seconds to work with after the Rockets just hit a potential game-winning 3 of their own. Go figure.

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjoX0Kcc8E
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:59:40 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 10, 2020, 08:12:52 AM »
I feel like they shouldn't have needed the crazy, last-second shot - if Houston had won, Utah would've thrown this one away. But wow, what a buzzer beater! One of the best of the season so far? I mean, the defense was solid all around. It was just a huge shot.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 10, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
I feel like they shouldn't have needed the crazy, last-second shot - if Houston had won, Utah would've thrown this one away. But wow, what a buzzer beater! One of the best of the season so far? I mean, the defense was solid all around. It was just a huge shot.

Unfortunately, the Rockets just historically have our number, between Harden  and this new defensive strategy apparently everyone in the West is using on us now where they go Small Ball. We also just haven't found a solution where Conley works in our offense. His inclusion is driving down Mitchell & Ingles, who traditionally are our primary ball handlers.

Bogey got fouled on that shot, too. I doubt he would have gotten the whistle if the shot hadn't gone in, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: February 10, 2020, 10:47:19 PM »
Eesh... Raptors were down to their third-string center, with both Gasol (injured) and Ibaka (sick) sitting out vs Karl Anthony Towns and the T-Wolves. Thank goodness Minnesota (a) doesn't play any defense, and (b) are generally a terrible team.

Chalk up 137 points and another Raptors win, bringing their franchise-record win streak to 14 in a row.

Granted, that's almost entirely versus bad teams during a weak spot in the schedule. Toronto still hasn't shown out well against top tier teams... but I love how they take care of business against teams the "should" beat. Very rare to see this team take a night off, which is why they've hit 40 wins before the all-star break.

#underrated

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: February 10, 2020, 11:53:35 PM »
These Warriors are so bad right now.
At the gym in full Warrior gear, and about to shut the game off and just listen to music instead.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2141 on: February 11, 2020, 12:02:16 AM »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2142 on: February 11, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »
The Raptors streak is actually at 15, which is the longest win streak ever amassed by a professional Canadian team in the three Big Four leagues + the CFL.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: February 11, 2020, 10:28:33 AM »

....at least I'm still trying to watch.

I'm just glad Steph is eager to get back on the court in early March and hopefully bring some consistent scoring and competent ball handling and ball movement back into the rotation.

The massive amounts of rookie ball at play is just frustrating, and I can only imagine what Dray is going through trying to coach these rooks on the court during the game.

Next season with Steph, Klay, Dray, and Wiggins should be fun though.
Question is, do we trade our Top3 (#1!!!) pick for something of immediate experienced value, or grab that center everyone thinks we should get?

and how many people would melt down if the Dubs actually got that #1 pick in the draft!? that would be hilarious and amazing, specifically for the reactions, but for the potential to the team as well.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2144 on: February 11, 2020, 11:48:26 AM »
Your starters, when healthy, are still good enough to contend.  I would invest in the future; i.e., keep the pick.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: February 11, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
... Next season with Steph, Klay, Dray, and Wiggins should be fun though.  ...

Looney too, right? I mean, when healthy he looked like there was a lot of potential there, and a good fit with the other Golden State starters.

Your starters, when healthy, are still good enough to contend.  I would invest in the future; i.e., keep the pick.

Without knowing, or caring, much about the cap situation I tend to agree. It would be incredible to bring in a talented youngster who could develop in a winning environment.

However, I have a feeling that the cost of a #1 pick might be pretty high once you figure in the taxes (luxury; repeat?) that Golden State will be facing in the near future. Unless there is a specific player they really like, I can't help but wonder if they'd be better off flipping a known #1 pick now for a couple unknown picks in the future to delay the rebuild while collecting multiple future assets.

(Which decision to pursue also might depend on your faith in the scouting department. Right now, Toronto fans have enjoyed watching a string of great players who were either undrafted or picked well outside the lottery. High draft picks don't always pay off.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:13:03 PM by ejamer »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2146 on: February 11, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
ejamer all the trades that the Warriors did at the trade deadline was to get away from the repeater tax.  Glen Robinson III and Alec Burk to Philly were the first step to get under the luxery tax.  Even the D'lo trade they sent over Spellman and Evans with D'lo to the T-Wolves so the Warriors are good to go on the tax end of things.

If I were the warriors I would keep the pick and draft some center so you have that young piece to grow with Wiggins after the warriors core is gone.  All three are in their early 30s and Draymond is already regressing so look to the future with the pick.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2147 on: February 12, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
However, I have a feeling that the cost of a #1 pick might be pretty high once you figure in the taxes (luxury; repeat?) that Golden State will be facing in the near future. Unless there is a specific player they really like, I can't help but wonder if they'd be better off flipping a known #1 pick now for a couple unknown picks in the future to delay the rebuild while collecting multiple future assets.

Hm, that's a good point.  Every team rebuilds eventually, so you could put it off until you accumulate a good number of picks over two to three years.  But you also need to consider how long your current players will last.  Klay's injury might shorten his career a bit (knock on wood it doesn't), but Steph might hang around a little bit past the window you might be able to get picks for.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2148 on: February 13, 2020, 07:13:17 PM »
Looks like the NBA All-Star Draft is finished and these are the players drafted to their respective teams.

Team LeBron Starters

LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard
Luka Doncic
James Harden

Reserves

Damian Lillard
Ben Simmons
Nikola Jokic
Jayson Tatum
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Domantas Sabonis

Team Giannis Starters

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Joel Embiid
Pascal Siakam
Kemba Walker
Trae Young

Reserves
Khris Middleton
Bam Adebayo
Rudy Gobert
Jimmy Butler
Kyle Lowry
Brandon Ingram
Donovan Mitchell

So there has been one change to this list since Damian Lillard got injured the other day.

Devin Booker is taking Lillard's place on the All-Star team and in the 3 point contest.   This is Bookers first All-Star selection and Lillard did say that Booker should replace him in the All-Star game.  This is the Suns first All-Star selection since 2012 who was Steve Nash.   
Everyone on Bright Side of the Sun is very happy.   https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/2/13/21136081/devin-booker-is-an-nba-all-star-phoenix-suns-first-since-2012#

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:16:39 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: February 13, 2020, 08:00:16 PM »
I was wondering when Pau Gasol was going to be interviewed about Bryant’s death. For anyone interested:
Gasol is the main reason I follow the Lakers. I liked his attitude and approach to basketball. I hope the Lakers retire #16.

Big win last night. F Jamal Murray. Alex Caruso should play more.

Anyway, I’m so disappointed Damian Lillard had to drop out of the three-point contest. This year, there are two shots placed six feet behind the line. That’s Lillard’s shot! (Unless you’re Paul George who said something else recently that makes me dislike the Clippers even more this year than I already did).