Author Topic: Telltale Signs Publishing Agreement with Nintendo  (Read 4288 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Telltale Signs Publishing Agreement with Nintendo
« on: August 24, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »

Telltale Games will be self-publishing their Wii games on disc. The first is back in time!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27587

Telltale Games signed an agreement with Nintendo of America, allowing them to publish games for Wii in disc-based retail form, as opposed to only making them available through the WiiWare download service. This overcomes file and download size limitations set in place for digital content.

The first title they're releasing under the new agreement is Back to the Future: The Game, their episodic continuation of the hit film series. The package is set to hit stores in October at a retail price of $19.99, much cheaper than the original price of the digital version released for PC earlier this year. 

According to Dan Connors, CEO and co-founder of Telltale, "Securing a publishing agreement with Nintendo of America ensures that we can make our popular content available on every major console platform. Back to the Future: The Game is a great fit for the Wii platform and we're excited to bring it to retail this holiday."

Previous Telltale Games has released disc-based compilations for Wii before. The first two seasons of the Sam & Max games were released for Wii on disc, but were published by Atari and The Adventure Company. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People was published by Telltale Games but was released on the WiiWare service.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Telltale Signs Publishing Agreement with Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »
That's the same price as the DLC subscription 5-pack AFAIK.  I only paid $20 for the 5 games on the PSN the day episode 1 launched.  Nevertheless, it's a great game -- well written and well acted.  Glad Wii owners will get the chance to play the series.

Offline Flipster

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
Hey, look at that; it's what TellTale should have done in the first place. I would have gladly bought a physical copy of Tales of Monkey island for $50, but now it's too late. Instead I watched the longplay (and again recently lol) ::)

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
Smart move, Telltale.  You shall get my purchase!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:33:37 PM »
It is nice to be able to get a physical disc copy of the game, which is not possible with the PSN version.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »
Hopefuly other developers catch on to this and put other games not released onto Wiiware due to file size and graphical limitations onto the Wii. I would really love to have that Scott Pilgrim and TMNT Re-shelled game on Wii and for $19.99 that is not bad.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
Sweet - I remember hearing a rumor about this some time ago.  Glad it's true - can't wait to buy BttF!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
My interest in this company's games just went from zero to... well, something more than zero.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:26:29 PM by Mop it up »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
So your interest dropped because they will be easier to get access to? Huh?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »
Whoops. I meant more than zero. I guess. I'm bad at math. I mean there's now a chance I'd buy one of their games instead of no chance.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
LOL, that makes more sense.

I have no interest in the BTTF game, though I hope they do something like this with the Tales of Monkey Island games. This is not the first time their games have been bundled and released on Wii (both seasons of Sam & Max were), though I guess they are confident enough to publish this one on their own.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »
They made the Sam and Max games? I own those, so it looks like I have already bought a game from this company. And it was because they were on a disc, I never would have bought them on WiiWare.

Offline SeaNet

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:30 PM »
i bought on ps3 when it was on sale.. I think i paid 11.00 for it.. I'll gladly get the Wii version to have a physical copy. It's a great game. I'd like to support them!
3DS FC 0344-9434-2907

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:33:01 PM »
Yep: http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax

It was their first episodic game and I think the one that made the concept popular.

Offline Podings

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 04:32:05 AM »
Sam & Max was not their first episodic game; that was Bone, and after that came CSI.

Then Sam & Max entered the scene, and they inarguably made the approach popular, that much is true.

And TellTale not having a publishing deal themselves explains why Sam & Max Season 2 never arrived on Wii; they had to rely on The Adventure Company, who might have felt the first season just didn't sell well enough.
I'm the love child of an NES and a C64.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 07:45:41 AM »
Yep, I for one, was (obviously, given my usual avatar choice) disappointed that they didn't make more of the Bone games; it's a shame because they ended the series at a point in the story before the actual adventuring started. 

I like the idea behind Tell Tales game model, even if I don't always like the execution.  I rather enjoyed Back To The Future and Tales of Monkey Island, and I'm looking forward to their upcoming King's Quest series.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
Sam & Max was not their first episodic game; that was Bone, and after that came CSI.

Then Sam & Max entered the scene, and they inarguably made the approach popular, that much is true.

And TellTale not having a publishing deal themselves explains why Sam & Max Season 2 never arrived on Wii; they had to rely on The Adventure Company, who might have felt the first season just didn't sell well enough.

CSI was one game. 5 different cases, but it was released as one game. The Bones games were separate releases, not episodic. Sam & Max was their first true episodic game. Doesn't matter anyways, that is the past.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
The Strong Bad games are excellent. I highly recommend any or all episodes on WiWare. I have all 5.

I was considering picking up the BTTF games on PSN but I think I would rather have:
a) a physical disc; and
b) Wii pointer control.

$19.99 seems like a steal.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:59:37 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline DanielM

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »
I have a couple of friends who bought it for the PC and they enjoyed it. I might give it a chance.
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer