Author Topic: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100  (Read 32427 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

So, this is a thing. $100. 20 games, including FF7, Wild ARMS, Jumping Flash, Tekken 3, & Ridge Racer Type 4.

The thing will be $100 in the US, $130 in Canada. It will include 2 NON-Dualshock controllers, and it will NOT come with an AC Adaptor, apparently learning from Nintendo not including one in the 3DS XL.

Personally, I can't say I'm interested. Most of the PS1 lineup doesn't hold up, especially if we're not getting Dualshock-era games. Not including the AC adaptor is just stupid. I wish they'd have just skipped to the PS2 Classic , what people actually want. At least with Sony doing this, you'll probably be able to actually find them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:30:34 AM »
I won't be getting one of these, that said, I assume it'll also sell fairly well to the people who grew up on these games like those who grew up on NES/SNES flocked to those mini consoles. 

I've determined the real appeal of the NES/SNES classics to me were less the games (especially given how easy it is to mod it to add more), and more the controllers.  For some reason, I'm a lot more particular about playing NES/SNES/Sega Genesis games than I think I am for PS1 games and beyond.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
No dualshock is weird, although most games are perfectly playable without them. Guess Ape Escape is out though.

Wonder what other games they'll add.
You'd kinda expect to at least need Resident Evil 1 or 2, Metal Gear Solid, one of the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games, Tony Hawk 2, Gran Turismo, Oddworld, PaRappa, and Tomb Raider right? Maybe WipEout, Driver, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, a Syphon Filter title, Rayman, and another big name RPG too. The PS1 library is so vast, selection will definitely skip over several major classics.

Does "pre-loaded" imply it'll be possible to load/purchase further games for it somehow, or not?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
I’m tempted because I think the classic consoles are cool. Snagging an NES Classic made me feel comfortable postponing signing up for Nintendo Switch Online until December. However, like the Neo Geo Mini, I don’t have the same attachment to the OG PlayStation as Nintendo’s legacy consoles. That generation was a weird transition too. Many of those games don’t hold up. And Switch is getting Final Fantasy VII so if I really want to scratch that itch, I can wait until next year.

It’s bizarre that Sony didn’t announce the entire lineup.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
Quick impressions, some already mentioned by others:
* odd to not see the actual games listed, and the five they did list didn't really excite; this could be an issue with Sony consoles, because first-party development is (IMO) much less important that third-party support, which can create licensing headaches
* original PS controllers are possibly my least favorite of all controllers; don't like how they feel generally and really don't like the d-pad replacement, so their inclusion here is a bit of a disappointment
* functionally, I'm struggling to see value because I already own a PSTV (aka: super tiny, HDMI-compatible mini-console that gives access to many great PSOne Classic titles from PSN at very low cost)

But toss those concerns aside, and it's still pretty awesome to see. Others who have more nostalgia for the PlayStation era will likely be stoked by this news. Hopefully Sony does a great job with the quality - I fully expect them to.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
This is a copycat idea but it's such an obviously GOOD copycat idea that I can't fault Sony for doing it.  The PS1 is like the NES equivalent for people ten years younger than me so it will probably hit the same nostalgic beats, just for different people than Nintendo's offerings.

One thing that is a little bit of a problem for Sony is that the PlayStation really is defined by third party games.  The NES and SNES kind of were as well but Nintendo themselves had such strong first party titles that even if they didn't get third party games on their classic systems, they could still have made a pretty desirable product.  When people think NES they'll think Mario, Zelda, Punch-Out, Metroid as much as Mega Man or Castlevania.  That's not the case with the PS1.  They'll think Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tekken well before first party titles like... um... Crash Bandicoot I guess.  Because of that third party focus this is probably going to have an imbalance of first party titles that were not as iconic and less third party titles that were.  I feel the NES and SNES Classic lineups are really close to being the ideal dream lineup for the system but I doubt this will get there as there will be too many companies that would need to be involved.  Gran Turismo is probably the only first party title that really feels like it MUST be there and it probably won't be due to rights issues with the cars.

I may get this but only if the quality is on par with Nintendo's systems.  Sega has had Genesis systems for years but they apparently suck so I've had no interest in getting one.  Nintendo has set the bar very high and I expect Sony to match it.  Since the price point is pretty high (Atari and Genesis consoles are quite cheap) I'm thinking Sony is aiming to match Nintendo.

Poor Microsoft can't get in on this action that well.  The Xbox doesn't quite seem retro enough and even if they went for it it's clearly the ONLY product they could release (Xbox 360 Classic? lol).  Of course now that this is coming out the N64 Classic seems like a mandatory product - though it's going to be hurt by the lack of Rare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 01:22:49 PM »
I’m not confident nostalgia for Sony is anywhere near as strong as Nintendo and even Sega. The people who grew up with PlayStation as their first console probably still play video games. They may have already downloaded these games ages ago. Are they the type to double dip on a nostalgia machine? Do they have any reason to with the games tied to their PSN account? Sony has even been using the same basic controller for two decades.

After collectors get their hands on PlayStation Classic, I don’t know who this is for. With NES and SNES Classic Editions, Nintendo infamously produced so few units at first because it specifically targeted lapsed players who stopped gaming after those consoles and right before PlayStation, grossly underestimating how eager its own fans were willing to buy Super Mario Bros. for the 473619th time.

Just today, Sega announced it’s delaying the Mega Drive Mini to essentially overhaul the whole thing. AtGames is no longer handling it; an unnamed Japanese developer is (possibly M2 who worked on Sega Ages). Good call. Like Ian alluded to, AtGames’ officially licensed Sega Genesis Flashback was not good. Hopefully, Sega will get it right this time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:35:21 PM by Adrock »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
...  I feel the NES and SNES Classic lineups are really close to being the ideal dream lineup for the system but I doubt this will get there as there will be too many companies that would need to be involved.  ...

One other thing that (to me) might be problematic for creating an "ideal lineup" is that PlayStation had such a varied lineup, not everyone will remember the same games fondly. To some, it was a sports console. To others, an RPG machine. And for others, neither of those genres mattered at all...

That wouldn't prevent them from picking 20 absolutely awesome games though, if licencing isn't an issue.

Here's hoping for Future Cop LAPD and Klonoa!

Just today, Sega announced it’s delaying the Mega Drive Mini to essentially overhaul the whole thing. AtGames is no longer handling it; an unnamed Japanese developer is (possibly M2 who worked on Sega Ages). Good call. Like Ian alluded to, AtGames’ officially licensed Sega Genesis Flashback was not good. Hopefully, Sega will get it right this time.

Awesome news - I'm more interested in this, personally, as I don't have easy and convenient access to old Genesis classics the same way that I do to PSOne Classics. Not sure if I'd buy one, but would strongly consider it.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
Great to hear that Sega's overhauling their version.  In a way one could look at these mini-consoles as an unofficial "series" of products from multiple companies.  If Sony or Sega can release products that can stand next to Nintendo's then there will be people that want a complete collection of "Classics".

One issue with this though is that a lot of iconic PS1 games have an 'M' rating.  MGS, Twisted Metal and the Resident Evil series are ones that immediately come to mind.  It seems wrong to be missing those but I see the obvious benefit of a product that's more family friendly.  This wasn't an issue with the NES/SNES Classics because the ESRB didn't exist for most of their existence and the only titles that would bump things to an 'M' would be the Mortal Kombat games.  The Genesis benefits from that as well.

As for what titles I would want to see on this I would like a good balance between really popular games and well regarded games that are expensive and rare to buy used copies of.  One thing that really made the SNES Classic worth it was that it had expensive games like Earthbound in it.  If games like Suikoden II or Klonoa are included then the value of this goes up significantly.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
...  If games like Suikoden II or Klonoa are included then the value of this goes up significantly.

Although it's worth mentioning that both of those games are available as cheap digital downloads via PSN.

I wonder if there will be any exclusive games that didn't seen normal release, like Star Fox 2. Who could say no to a localized version of LSD: Dream Emulator?  (Seriously, with just 20 games and such a huge library, it's hard to say what might be included. Will there be underappreciated gems, or mostly well-known mainstream games? I'd wager the latter for nostalgia purposes...)

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »
Oh man, Nintendo should release an N64 Classic as close to the PS1 release date as possible. Let's have another N64 VS PS1 war and see who comes out on top this time! :evil;
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:09 PM »
Oh man, Nintendo should release an N64 Classic as close to the PS1 release date as possible. Let's have another N64 VS PS1 war and see who comes out on top this time! :evil;

I'm betting PlayStation Classic would drastically outpace N64 Classic sales.

Sure, the only reason for that is because Nintendo's doesn't have the willingness/ability to put out enough stock to meet demand... but a win is a win.

FWIW:  I still haven't seen either an NES or SNES Classic system in stock at stores, although managed to trade for an SNES Classic and was lucky enough to secure an online order of the NES Classic during an hour it was in stock.  Highly doubt Sony will take the same marketing tactic.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
Really? I just stopped in EBGames yesterday and they had 5 NES Classics right on their counter. It seems when I do stop by a store like Toys R Us or Wal-Mart, I'll see a couple of these behind their counter as well. I've had the feeling that Nintendo's met the demand for this already and then I see a post like yours and I'm shocked that people are still having a hard time finding or acquiring one of these classic systems.  The SNES now maybe. That I haven't seen in awhile but the NES seems to be getting stocked enough.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »
I find it funny how these throwback systems didn't seem very popular until Nintendo did it.

What's the story with the AC adapter? Can it use one that came with some other product? Does any old USB cable or something like that work with it? If it requires its own adapter made specially for it, then it's certainly odd to sell that separately.

I can't see this thing selling all that well, but I'm probably underestimating PS1 nostalgia.

As far as availability goes with Nintendo's Classics, I guess it must vary wildly by area. Here, the SNES Classic was scarce only during its launch and the following holiday, but that happens to every popular product. Since then, it's been easy to find one. The NES Classic has had stacks since its re-release; I remember counting 21 at the local Walmart two weeks after it came out. I dare say Nintendo may have overproduced it this time, hee hee.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »
For me, the lack of Dualshocks; the unknown software lineup; and the $100 price tag are pretty much deal breakers. The PS1 was notorious for its outright ban of 2D games overall, and I think we can all agree that playing a 3D game with a Dpad really sucks.

I say "I think we can all agree" because there are some deranged people that actually like Metroid Other M. :P

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »
Want.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »
The Genesis flashbacks main downfall was its sound chip, and IR controller. Fix those and I'd have a good experience.

I wanted the colecovision flashbacks, but now their expensive items on ebay.

I would really like a Jaguar 64 classic console though. I had Raiden, Alien vs Predator, NBA hangtime, and Cybermorph back in 7th grade. If it hadn't broke and we hadn't returned it I'd still have it. I was thinking about building my own with a raspberry pi, but I need a 3D printer

100 bucks is steep. It isn't worth the novelty.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »
I think a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition would outsell PlayStation Classic, especially if Nintendo made a deal with Microsoft to include Rare games and/or if Nintendo sorted out the rights to Goldeneye. I know it’s an M rated game; we’re talking hypotheticals here. This isn’t 1997 anymore. Classic consoles sell on nostalgia, not gaming trends of the time. PlayStation had more games. Pick only 20, and that evens out the value prospect. Most games on PlayStation Classic have probably been available on the PlayStation Store for a decade, and they’re tied to an account. It’s much harder to legally download first party Nintendo games because Nintendo.
I find it funny how these throwback systems didn't seem very popular until Nintendo did it.
To be fair, Nintendo was the first company to release a good one. Atari and Sega licensed their brands to subpar products. Also, Nintendo fans tend to have more of an attachment to the company’s legacy products and with good reason. Most of the games hold up really well.
What's the story with the AC adapter? Can it use one that came with some other product?
PlayStation Classic looks like it uses a regular USB Type A to micro for power. I guess Sony assumes most people have a USB port on their TV. And if you’ve had a smartphone in the last nine or 10 years, you probably have a 5 volt charger which you can use. That said, the decision is defensible. Like New 3DS XL, I still would have preferred it included. Those things don’t cost that much for hardware manufacturers. I suppose every penny counts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
I'm sure there are reasons for it but it's still funny to me!

Actually, Goldeneye 007 is rated T. You might be confusing it with Perfect Dark which got the M rating.

That's good if it uses a standard cord for power, makes more sense why it wouldn't be in there. I mean sure, it should still be in there, but Sony's always been known for cutting corners too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »
Oh, wow. I always thought Goldeneye was rated M. A T rating would make it easier to include. Too bad the rights are a colossal clusterfuck. It’s hard to imagine a Nintendo 64 Classic without it.

I don’t see the point in PlayStation Classic if it doesn’t include M rated games. Sure, Sony can do it, but I feel like it kind of misses the point.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:10:17 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
lol at the Jaguar mini suggestion.  I mean, I'd buy it but the market for that is miniscule.  Probably couldn't put AvP on there because of licensing issues.  For me I want the more obscure systems.  Give me a Turbo Duo mini for example, because I can't afford to collect the real games.  But that's not really the idea.

I think an N64 classic would sell better than the PlayStation Classic if Nintendo made enough of them because Nintendo has a dedicated fanbase that other companies just don't have.  I wouldn't even assume that more people have nostalgia for the N64 over the PS1 but rather just that those that do have N64 nostalgia are more likely to buy such a product.

I don't like the exclusion of the AC adapter because while I have a couple USB adapters, this is a console so it's going to be plugged into the TV most of the time and stay there.  I could use the one that came with my SNES Classic but then I can't have both plugged in and ready to go, I have to swap around.  I have one for my phone but that has to remain accessible because I need to charge my phone.  A handheld device like the 3DS is different because the AC is just for charging so you're constantly swapping things in and out.  But a non-handheld device should plug into the power and be expected to stay there, meaning it has to eat up a USB adapter full time.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
... the NES seems to be getting stocked enough.

... availability ... must vary wildly by area. ...

Availability issues must be a location thing, since others online keep saying they aren't hard to find.

I live in the East Coast of Canada, and we have a pretty small population. Maybe we just don't rate for bringing them in, or maybe scalpers are still taking them all (although none are currently listed on Kijiji in my city). I literally look at every toy/department/video game store when I go out - about once every week or so - and have never seen either in stock since initial release.

Count me in for one of the Jaguar and TurboDuo Mini units though!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
I wouldn't even assume that more people have nostalgia for the N64 over the PS1 but rather just that those that do have N64 nostalgia are more likely to buy such a product.
I wonder which console more people are nostalgic for: N64 or PS One?

Nostalgia is a powerful tool. Sony released PlayStation TV almost five years ago. It's compatible with PS One Classics and even supports multiplayer for those games. People could have made their own PlayStation Classic years ago. They could yet largely didn't. The price of entry was higher though I think a lot of interest in PlayStation Classic is driven by the fact that it's shaped like an original PlayStation.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »
I already bought a $100 piece of miniature overpriced electronics to play PS1 games from Sony; a Vita memory card.

No analog means I can look forward to Loaded and Re:Loaded... yeah, hard pass.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 11:41:27 PM »
People were complaining that you can buy a Vita TV that plays hundreds of PS1 games for the same price.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
People were complaining that you can buy a Vita TV that plays hundreds of PS1 games for the same price.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 03:58:52 AM »
People were complaining that you can buy a memory card for a Vita TV that plays hundreds of PS1 games for the same price.
ftfy

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »
Every time one of these mini consoles gets announced there are all sorts of complaints about alternate ways to get the same games, including suggestions of piracy and hacks.  As if Sony or Nintendo is going to not release a product because someone can use a Raspberry Pi and downloaded ROMs without Sony or Nintendo getting a cent.  And the NES and SNES Classic sold like gangbusters.  If you were at a Sony board meeting and said "people can just turn the PS TV into this" while Nintendo's product is flying off the shelf they would laugh at you.  Clearly there is a market for these things and Sony has the opportunity to get in on that action so why would they not?  SNK is doing the same thing and Sega seems to have realized that if they get their act together they can get in on it too.  I guarantee you there are people in the Xbox division of MS discussing if they can make a mini console of the original Xbox.

I can see how someone would not understand the appeal because it doesn't personally appeal to them but it makes total sense why Sony would think this product stood a chance of succeeding.  And if it sells they can release a PS2 mini next year.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 02:48:16 PM »
People who bring up Raspberry Pi in this instances almost always miss the part where most people don’t want to deal with that. The average person just wants a thing that does a thing.

Of course Sony should be releasing PlayStation Classic. It would be leaving money on the table otherwise. While PlayStation Classic will likely sell out initial shipments almost entirely by being housed in a cute little original PlayStation-shaped mold despite doing significantly less than other first party devices, Sony has far more reason than Nintendo to make this a limited time item. Unlike Nintendo, Sony has made legally downloading and transferring games extremely easy. That alone makes PlayStation Classic less appealing to some people. What makes this worthwhile beyond the enthusiast crowd? With SNES Classic Edition, Nintendo even threw in a previously unreleased game. Does Sony have one of those lying around?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
Another aspect which makes me wonder about PSX nostalgia is how the games never really went away. Not only could the PS2 play PS1 games but so too could the PS3. It wasn't until PS4 that people could no longer use their PS1 discs on their new Sony console, though they can still download a lot of the popular games. There hasn't been a time where PS1 games were unavailable. Heck, you can still buy a few brand new PS1 disc games from places like Square's website. You know the old cliché, "absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »
Another aspect which makes me wonder about PSX nostalgia is how the games never really went away. Not only could the PS2 play PS1 games but so too could the PS3. It wasn't until PS4 that people could no longer use their PS1 discs on their new Sony console, though they can still download a lot of the popular games. There hasn't been a time where PS1 games were unavailable. Heck, you can still buy a few brand new PS1 disc games from places like Square's website. You know the old cliché, "absence makes the heart grow fonder."

I mean, most of the NES/SNES Classic libraries have been available for at least a decade on Wii/Wii U/N3DS too though... Yes, that's shorter than Sony's almost continuous support (I guess PS2 support was dropped on the later PS3s, but PS1 still worked?), but it's not insignificant.

The convenience argument Adrock makes is probably true to for the average consumer though, so in that regard you're right that Sony has made it much easier to play PS1 games than Nintendo did for its older systems (from Wii points, to no SNES on most 3DS models). But I don't know if the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" cliché entirely holds up, as NES/SNES weren't technically absent... Less conveniently available though for sure!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 05:00:06 PM »
Heck, you can still buy a few brand new PS1 disc games from places like Square's website.

You can?!

*checks*

Hmmmm, I don't have FFIX.  It would be nice to have it in mint condition where I know there are no scratches.  But it's Greatest Hits.  Ehhhhhhh.

My local used game store has had a handful of, well, pretty much the exact same titles on Square's site, that have been available brand new since the PlayStation was still current.  They've always sold new games as well so literally the new PS1 section just slowly wilted down to these three or four games and they've sat there in a little corner for 15 years.  Now I see why.  There are some PS1 games that had huge print runs because the CD format is so cheap compared to carts.

For a Star Fox 2 equivalent I think Sony's best bet would be the localize a title that hasn't been released here.  Maybe there's something that was only released in Japan and Europe that's already in English that North American gamers would appreciate getting.  SCEA was really down on 2D games when the PS1 launched so there's probably something from that time period that would fit the bill.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
The convenience argument Adrock makes is probably true to for the average consumer though, so in that regard you're right that Sony has made it much easier to play PS1 games than Nintendo did for its older systems (from Wii points, to no SNES on most 3DS models). But I don't know if the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" cliché entirely holds up, as NES/SNES weren't technically absent... Less conveniently available though for sure!
Never underestimate the power of convenience. Trust me... on THIS one!

For a Star Fox 2 equivalent I think Sony's best bet would be the localize a title that hasn't been released here.  Maybe there's something that was only released in Japan and Europe that's already in English that North American gamers would appreciate getting.
I did a quick search and I didn't find anything particularly interesting, though I'm not very familiar with the games. Maybe Monster Rancher 2?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
Never underestimate the power of convenience. Trust me... on THIS one!

For a Star Fox 2 equivalent I think Sony's best bet would be the localize a title that hasn't been released here.  Maybe there's something that was only released in Japan and Europe that's already in English that North American gamers would appreciate getting.
I did a quick search and I didn't find anything particularly interesting, though I'm not very familiar with the games. Maybe Monster Rancher 2?

The Monster Rancher series would never fly because the Classic doesn't have an actual CD drive. The Monster Rancher games allowed you to create your own monsters by putting in music CDs. And I doubt Sony would spend the time to re-code the game to allow mp3s from a flash drive like they did with Vib Ribbon on PS3.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 07:08:56 PM »
Gunner's Heaven would work well as a bonus game.  It was released in Europe as Rapid Reload and the game was originally published by Sony so presumably they already have the rights to it.  It's like a Gunstar Heroes knock-off.

Vib Ribbon was also only released in Europe and Japan and it's first party.  But it has a similar gimmick to Monster Rancher in that you can get custom tracks from music CDs.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 12:21:07 AM »
The PlayStation Classic has standard USB ports, so you can most likely use PS3 and PS4 controllers for DualShock games.

Which would be more nostalgic - this or N64 Classic? I think in terms of sales, an N64 Classic would smoke this thing. Even though the PSX sold 3.5x as well as the N64 - you can play every PSX game on any PS2 and any PS3, so there's much less of a "need" for this device to play those games. You can even play every PSX game on a PSP, Vita, or PSTV if you so desire. For N64 (aside from emulation on an iQue), you have...one option.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
I think once we get into the 3D console area, the popularity contest gets a little more murky than the NES/SNES consoles.  Those two are cross-generational in popularity, people I know my brother's age all kind-of dropped off precipitously on video games when N64/PS1 gained popularity.

For me, outside of some obvious timeless games, the N64's most important games are ones that require 4 people (Mariokart, Goldeneye, Bomberman, Smash Bros, Mario Party).  I assume Nintendo wouldn't want to inflate the base price to pack-in 4 controllers, so I could see this being another mess like the NES classic where it's almost impossible to find spare controllers, assuming they even go the route of making it 4-player compatible.

PS1's library is mostly 1-2 player games, primarily because you had to buy an extra accessory to even enable 4 player games.  In that sense, I think I actually see more value in a PS1 Classic because of that.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
Ah, I had just looked up a list of games released in Europe and not NA, and recognized Monster Rancher 2 as being from a series I'd heard of before. I didn't know how the game worked.

I actually do remember hearing about Vib-Ribbon a long time ago, but I knew that one used CDs to create its levels so it won't fly for this.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
I can't say I'm surprised at the price point.  I think Sony learned from Nintendo's Classic Minis that the demand for these things was higher than Nintendo's price points.

Some things I do wonder, Spyro and Crash both had HD remakes, so I wonder if demand for those has tempered a bit.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
They've released the full list... and it's kinda butt.

•Battle Arena Toshinden
•Cool Boarders 2
•Destruction Derby
•Final Fantasy VII
•Grand Theft Auto
•Intelligent Qube
•Jumping Flash
•Metal Gear Solid
•Mr Driller
•Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
•Rayman
•Resident Evil Director’s Cut
•Revelations: Persona
•Ridge Racer Type 4
•Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
•Syphon Filter
•Tekken 3
•Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
•Twisted Metal
•Wild Arms

The fear that Sony only revealed five games because the rest weren't that impressive was justified.  Metal Gear Solid is really the only newly revealed game where I think "well of course they're including that".  Resident Evil makes sense but it probably should have been RE2.  But some of the other choices are just bizarre.  Why are the first Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby included instead of their superior sequels?  I'm going to also guess that of all the lists that fans made in anticipation of this product that not one of them had Rainbow Six on it.  What the hell is Ubisoft even doing on this thing?  Nobody gave a **** about them back then.

The SNES Classic's list was not perfect because no list really can be.  Chrono Trigger was a big omission.  But of the titles that did show up, Kirby's Dream Course was the only one where anyone said "what's this doing on here?"  Maybe your favourite title didn't show up but they weren't going to put 50 games on the thing and it was hard to point out titles that were on it that should have been left off.  But this is full of questionable filler and there are too many big titles missing.  Sony is obviously at the disadvantage that they don't have the first party lineup that Nintendo has and are thus at the mercy of third parties but they even botched their first party entries.

No purchase from me at all.  No point.  It would be cheaper to get the old discs for the handful of games on this that I actually want.

The focus on first entries for a lot of the series on here makes me suspect that there is a PS One Classic in the works with the Dualshock and a different selection of games.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
Some weird choices yeah. No Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Silent Hill, Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Castlevania, and Tony Hawk seems odd. Ian might be right they're saving those along with Ape Escape for a dualshock version or something...

Twisted Metal 2 would've been better than the first one, kinda like the DKC problem on Snes Classic Mini. GTA 1 but not 2? C'mon. And Resident Evil Director's Cut seems like a cheap way to get RE2 in there as well, assuming it retains the RE2 demo that was included with Director's Cut.

Shout-out to that Mr. Driller inclusion though! That's a fun franchise. I have a Japanese copy of the GameCube instalment. Imagine a lot of people will be won over by the Persona inclusion, too.

I'm going to also guess that of all the lists that fans made in anticipation of this product that not one of them had Rainbow Six on it.  What the hell is Ubisoft even doing on this thing?  Nobody gave a **** about them back then.

Coming from a PC background at the time, the first Rainbow Six coming to consoles was definitely appealing to me. Don't think our computer could run it, and magazines really hyped up the PC release. Of course the PS1 version is absolute dogshit with none of the tactical stuff left in haha, but I do think it was anticipated in some circles. Rayman was also huge, and while that game is total trash as well, I do think it's representative of the era. People are gonna hate them when they (re)play them here though haha.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
“Castlevania: Symphony of the Night” is a major omission though maybe this was intentional so as not to interfere with  “Castlevania Requiem” on PlayStation 4.

“Twisted Metal II” is much better than its predecessor.

I wasn’t planning on buying the PlayStation Classic, and the full list didn’t change my mind.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:28:46 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 01:51:04 PM »
Some weird choices yeah. No Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Silent Hill, Crash, Spyro, Klonoa, Castlevania, and Tony Hawk seems odd. Ian might be right they're saving those along with Ape Escape for a dualshock version or something...

Gran Turismo and Tony Hawk would have been licensing nightmares trying to get back the rights to all the cars in the former and the music and likenesses of real skaters in the latter.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
They've released the full list... and it's kinda butt.

I don't know... the list of games doesn't seem that bad. Certainly not that unexpected.

Most of the games getting included had sold well and were popular names back in the day. Many of the notable missing titles were ones that people expected might have issues (either licensing or competing with current sellable products).

That doesn't mean that I'm impressed or interested in buying the console - quite the contrary. But coming from someone who already owns a handful of PS One Classic games on PSN and doesn't have specific nostalgia for the console, this isn't a surprise.

What is a surprise to me is a complete lack of Tomb Raider - I really thought the first game would make an appearance. What is disappointing is how nothing from that list of games leaves me feeling like I'd be missing out if I just skip the mini-console altogether. Almost every game has improved sequels or updated versions available. It really feels like this idea was put together by marketing, instead of by people who want to preserve some great old games.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »
In a vacuum, I don't see the list on there as such a bad package.  But yes, I can think of lots of games that I would think deserve a home on the mini.

I likely am not going to consider getting one until we see how easy it is to mod anyway, unless availability is so scarce that I don't even have to consider it.  If it's as easy as the NES/SNES classic to amend the library, swapping in some other titles could make it a very compelling part of my collection.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2018, 03:05:04 PM »
One potential issue with hacking this thing is that PlayStation games are way bigger than SNES games.  Nintendo pretty much made the storage on their Classics as small as typical 2018 tech gets and it can still hold every game released on the platform.  That won't be the case here.

In fact I've heard conspiracy theories that storage space was a major consideration into the choice of games in the first place.  There are lots of first entries in series and a lot of games from earlier in the Playstation's life so they might be prioritizing smaller games so they can use smaller built-in storage and save a few bucks.  That also might explain the lack of RPGs which were usually multi-disc affairs.

By the way, Rainbow Six's average score on GameRankings is 48.07%  That is some outright PS1 shovelware and oddly enough that would have required some negotiating for the Tom Clancy IP.  Where the hell did that game come from?  They probably had rights issues for Tony Hawk, Wipeout's soundtrack, Gran Turismo's cars but they managed to pull strings for Tom Clancy for a crappy PS1 port of a PC game?  Did Ubisoft insist on this in exchange for Rayman (which is an okay selection but nothing anyone would have missed if it wasn't there)?

Are there rights issues for PaRappa the Rapper?  That seems like a popular first party title that oddly isn't included.

Why did Capcom go with a Street Fighter puzzle game rather than an actual fighting game?  They had no problem releasing good stuff on the NES/SNES Classics so where does the decision come to go with Puzzle Fighter (which is actually awesome by the way) but not the vastly more popular Street Fighter Alpha 3?  On the SNES Classic Capcom didn't **** around.  They didn't bother with obscure stuff like Magic Sword.  They had Street Fighter II Turbo, Mega Man X and Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts - some of their BIG games!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
One potential issue with hacking this thing is that PlayStation games are way bigger than SNES games.  Nintendo pretty much made the storage on their Classics as small as typical 2018 tech gets and it can still hold every game released on the platform.  That won't be the case here.

In fact I've heard conspiracy theories that storage space was a major consideration into the choice of games in the first place.  There are lots of first entries in series and a lot of games from earlier in the Playstation's life so they might be prioritizing smaller games so they can use smaller built-in storage and save a few bucks.  That also might explain the lack of RPGs which were usually multi-disc affairs.

By the way, Rainbow Six's average score on GameRankings is 48.07%  That is some outright PS1 shovelware and oddly enough that would have required some negotiating for the Tom Clancy IP.  Where the hell did that game come from?  They probably had rights issues for Tony Hawk, Wipeout's soundtrack, Gran Turismo's cars but they managed to pull strings for Tom Clancy for a crappy PS1 port of a PC game?  Did Ubisoft insist on this in exchange for Rayman (which is an okay selection but nothing anyone would have missed if it wasn't there)?

Are there rights issues for PaRappa the Rapper?  That seems like a popular first party title that oddly isn't included.

Why did Capcom go with a Street Fighter puzzle game rather than an actual fighting game?  They had no problem releasing good stuff on the NES/SNES Classics so where does the decision come to go with Puzzle Fighter (which is actually awesome by the way) but not the vastly more popular Street Fighter Alpha 3?  On the SNES Classic Capcom didn't **** around.  They didn't bother with obscure stuff like Magic Sword.  They had Street Fighter II Turbo, Mega Man X and Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts - some of their BIG games!

Don't forget Resident Evils 2 & 3 and Dino Crisis 1 & 2 that Capcom also could have included. Hell, RE 2 is probably the 2nd most loved game in the franchise behind 4, and instead they put in the terrible 1st game.

Square Enix also could have added Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Parasite Eve (hell, they DID in Japan).

I get why Symphony isn't here, bit Konami could have easily added Silent Hill.

This list is pathetic.

Games like Klanoa or Toomba also could have been added.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
So for context, I went to see what some PS fans thought of the lineup on a different site. A few weren't feeling the game selections, but most came off sounding really excited.  Nostalgia plays a big part in how we view things.

Modding capability could make this more interesting. But storage space could be an issue, and I'm also a bit of a stickler for actually owning a license for the games I play. Even just stocking it up with games I've purchased from PSN would be an improvement (to me) though.

That said, I want to give props for the puzzle games they selected. Intelligent Qube, Mr Driller, and Super Puzzle Fighter II. And it's not like the other games are bad.  Honestly, the (often somewhat obscure) games that I wanted most probably wouldn't generate as many nostalgic sales as the ones they've picked.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2018, 04:45:24 PM »
One thing that is very odd is that Square has three more games on the Japanese version: Parasite Eve, SaGa Frontier and G-Darius (Taito game, which they own the rights to).  All of those games got North American releases so they could have easily put them on the Western version and while those aren't Square's biggest titles they would make for a better lineup.  I hate to keep going back to Rainbow Six (seriously that's like putting the SNES port of Wing Commander on the SNES Classic) but it comes across as a desperation title to fill a list to an even 20 titles.  Ubisoft is not on the Japanese version at all so it seems like something SCEA negotiated.  But it would have been unnecessary if all of Square's titles were included.  So what happened with Square to get their contributions down to only FF7?  Surely Sony wouldn't want to do that on purpose.

The choice of games also appears to try to appeal to a false nostalgia based on franchises that are currently popular.  I'm specifically referring to Persona and GTA.  Those titles are not considered very good and were not especially popular at the time of release.  Neither of those series mattered much until the third game in the series was released on the PS2 (funny how it's the third one for both series).  I assume the intention here is hope that a present day fan of GTA or Persona will see the first game in the series on the PlayStation Classic, make the reasonable but completely wrong assumption that those are on par with the later titles, and buy it.  The intention isn't to present a snapshot of the PlayStation experience from back in the day but to latch onto the popularity of current hits.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »
...  I assume the intention here is hope that a present day fan of GTA or Persona will see the first game in the series on the PlayStation Classic, make the reasonable but completely wrong assumption that those are on par with the later titles, and buy it.  The intention isn't to present a snapshot of the PlayStation experience from back in the day but to latch onto the popularity of current hits.

Obviously we don't disagree:

.... It really feels like this idea was put together by marketing, instead of by people who want to preserve some great old games.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
Leave it to Sony to completely miss the point of these throwback consoles. Nintendo largely got the selection right. Sure, everyone has a favorite that didn’t make the cut, but one could make an argument for most of the games that were chosen. If/when Nintendo releases a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, it could top Sony’s list on first party titles alone. It still wouldn’t feel right without Rare though.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »
Leave it to Sony to completely miss the point of these throwback consoles. Nintendo largely got the selection right. Sure, everyone has a favorite that didn’t make the cut, but one could make an argument for most of the games that were chosen. If/when Nintendo releases a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition, it could top Sony’s list on first party titles alone. It still wouldn’t feel right without Rare though.

I might argue it's a little tougher for Sony to pick a "best of" list for Playstation that would hit most people's nostalgic favorites, too.  Anecdotally, when speaking with my friends about this, they've each come up with different games that are "must haves" that I wouldn't personally feel the same as.  I don't think Sony had as many must haves shared across the fanbase as maybe the NES and SNES does.

In regards to the question of storage - I'm sure the ISOs of PS1 games will take up enough space to make putting the whole library on there implausible, but I'm more interested in adding a few and removing a few from the current lineup.  I added the whole library to the NES classic and it just ended up unwieldy.  For the SNES classic, I only put on games I felt were glaring omissions. 

Regarding the legal/moral quandaries - I either 1) own copies of these games on other platforms, or 2) don't have a means to purchase a copy of the games I add other than ebay/Amazon, which for me has become more difficult to determine what's a legitimate vs repro copy of those games.  Hell, even my used game shop nearby that I used to go to as a kid sells repro carts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »
For what it's worth, I like the Japanese list of games better. Drops a few pieces of chaff and adds a couple interesting titles. Oh well.

If you can mod and create a small, self-curated list of games on the system it'll still be maybe interesting. Probably better to wait and see if a version comes out with better ccontrollers though. That's where I end up at, at least.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
Yeah, this is all hypothetical talk for me.  I didn't pre-order, and don't feel terribly compelled to buy-in when I have a PS3 that can play all the PS1 games I want, and don't often find myself pining to play many games on that console.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 02:05:52 PM »
Yeah, this is all hypothetical talk for me.  I didn't pre-order, and don't feel terribly compelled to buy-in when I have a PS3 that can play all the PS1 games I want, and don't often find myself pining to play many games on that console.
Pretty much that and I'm interested in maybe picking up a PS Vita which would give me access to all my digital PS1 games on the go.

Offline Oscar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
For what it's worth, I like the Japanese list of games better. Drops a few pieces of chaff and adds a couple interesting titles. Oh well.

If you can mod and create a small, self-curated list of games on the system it'll still be maybe interesting. Probably better to wait and see if a version comes out with better ccontrollers though. That's where I end up at, at least.
Yeah, I'll wait.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 04:07:55 PM »
Pretty much that and I'm interested in maybe picking up a PS Vita which would give me access to all my digital PS1 games on the go.

This is possibly a better use of funds. My PSP Go is great for PS One Classics on the move and A Vita is probably easier to get these days and would work just as well. Having access to a broad selection of more recent games is an added benefit.

If you do this, keep an eye on PSN sales and don't rush to buy everything you want at one time. PS One Classics go on sale often enough that you might save a good amount.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »

You know what I've realized?  This throwback console scene isn't even a thing.  It's just a Nintendo Classics scene.  Everyone else has flubbed it.  Nintendo's products are a phenomenon, everyone else is getting Atari Flashback success at best.  Hell, Nintendo didn't even know what they had.  The NES Classic vastly outsold their expectations and initial inventory.  Nintendo stumbled into gold simply because they made a product that met their high quality standards and they have such a strong first party lineup that could make up for third parties not playing ball (and yet oddly enough the third party selections on the Nintendo Classics are fantastic).

Everybody else either cheaps out on the quality (Sega, SNK) or lacks the rights to the proper IP (Commodore, Sony) to pull this off.

The best chance for a true competitor to Nintendo on this is if Sega's next go at this has the proper quality.  Sega already has the IP to have a great Genesis lineup, they just kept outsourcing this stuff to a crap company.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
...  The best chance for a true competitor to Nintendo on this is if Sega's next go at this has the proper quality.  Sega already has the IP to have a great Genesis lineup, they just kept outsourcing this stuff to a crap company.

Depending on game lineup, I'd buy a Genesis (aka: Mega Drive) Classic system if the quality was good.
I don't have any nostalgia for the system, as nobody I knew owned one growing up... but dabbled in some Genesis games with Wii Virtual Console and know there are some solid games available for the system that I haven't played yet.

It's disappointing that the Sega Genesis Collection for PSP doesn't work on PSTV - but that would make a classic console even more appealing...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
I might argue it's a little tougher for Sony to pick a "best of" list for Playstation that would hit most people's nostalgic favorites, too.  Anecdotally, when speaking with my friends about this, they've each come up with different games that are "must haves" that I wouldn't personally feel the same as.  I don't think Sony had as many must haves shared across the fanbase as maybe the NES and SNES does.
That's fair. Let's acknowledge two things:

1. Nintendo's first party titles are so universally praised that they absolutely should make up at least half of the selected titles of any given Nintendo throwback console.
2. The original PlayStation had such a wide variety of great third party games that no selection of 20 games was ever going to meet everyone's expectations.

With the second item in mind, Sony's selection is all over the place, seemingly with no rhyme or reason. Even if someone isn't a fan of Final Fantasy VII, they understand why it's there. It's so intertwined with the history of the original PlayStation and exemplifies why the console is held in such high esteem. I don't know if anyone can say the same about Mr. Driller or Cool Boaders 2. Are those the games people really think about when they look back on the console?
You know what I've realized?  This throwback console scene isn't even a thing.  It's just a Nintendo Classics scene.  Everyone else has flubbed it.  Nintendo's products are a phenomenon, everyone else is getting Atari Flashback success at best.
To me, the difference seems to be that Nintendo is the only company that has released throwback consoles created by people who actually play video games. PlayStation Classic looks like it was built by the marketing team or as a reaction to an investor meeting. Like when a shareholder asked why Sony wasn't also releasing a throwback console, they responded with "Ugh, fine," instead of, "We've offered 99% of the most memorable games digitally for over a decade. Why would we release this?"
Hell, Nintendo didn't even know what they had.  The NES Classic vastly outsold their expectations and initial inventory.  Nintendo stumbled into gold simply because they made a product that met their high quality standards and they have such a strong first party lineup that could make up for third parties not playing ball (and yet oddly enough the third party selections on the Nintendo Classics are fantastic).
I think Nintendo knew exactly what it had. It just wanted to make money then move on. The Classic Edition consoles were meant to pad their revenue during years in which Wii U was doing nothing. The problem with these things is that they take up shelf space, and even though each probably sells for a decent profit, there's no attach rate and they're stupidly easy to hack, meaning people could be playing hacked ROMs instead of buying new games.

Several years ago, Reggie Fils-Aime mentioned that retailers don't like carrying different color 3DS models. "If I had to try to have 25 different SKUs out there, Wal-Mart would kill me. So what that means is that we have to be more selective and more knowledgeable in how we handle different SKUs." I was in Target last night and I saw the Classic Edition consoles in the same case as Switch. Nintendo rereleased the Classic Edition consoles due to demand, but I bet it would rather have more Switch units in those retail cases.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2018, 08:41:19 PM »
If only there were some kind of model of 3DS with removable coverplates so Reggie would only have to sell two skus.

I was in Target last night and I saw the Classic Edition consoles in the same case as Switch. Nintendo rereleased the Classic Edition consoles due to demand, but I bet it would rather have more Switch units in those retail cases.
They're most likely in the display cases because they are fairly pricey and thus easily stolen. especially since you only really need the controllers and the system itself and they're both small enough to easily be concealed. if you can't nab the HDMI cord and USB cable you can just bring your own.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:46:47 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:28 PM »
They're most likely in the display cases because they are fairly pricey and thus easily stolen. especially since you only really need the controllers and the system itself and they're both small enough to easily be concealed. if you can't nab the HDMI cord and USB cable you can just bring your own.
Well, yeah, it’s obvious why the Classic Edition consoles are in the display case. The point is that they’re in the display case. Stores like Target have to make room for the Classic Edition consoles, meaning that much less space for Switch. I suppose retailers could wrap those security devices around them. Either way, hardware takes up shelf space and Nintendo has to balance how best to use it.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2018, 09:22:59 PM »
Speaking of NES Classic systems in a display case... tonight, for the first time ever, I saw NES Classic systems in stock in a local store. It seems like this is a common occurrence for everyone else, but I was impressed. Always takes me aback how tiny those little boxes are, especially when I consider how much joy (for me) is packed inside.

Hopefully people with Playstation nostalgia get just as excited about their upcoming classic systems (even if I have some minor complaints about how that system is being managed).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »
Game lineup is pretty disappointing. I get why they chose what they did, but given that there is no dual shock support, no image enhancement, and new proprietary controller ports, I think I'm going to pass.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2018, 01:02:17 AM »
Come on, no load times, no bad disc readers. It's not too bad a deal. At only $5 a game it's the equivy of 1/12th the price of a modern PlayStation game.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »
Come on, no load times, no bad disc readers. It's not too bad a deal. At only $5 a game it's the equivy of 1/12th the price of a modern PlayStation game.

True, in a vacuum, $5/game is perfectly reasonable.  But $5 on a game I don't want to play is also $ wasted.  And time is actually my bigger bottleneck when it comes to gaming anyway, at my age.

And I don't know about you all, but my NES/SNES classics have been in their cases for months.  I don't leave them plugged-in, and it's easy to not think about them as an option if they're tucked away in a cabinet/closet neatly.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
Since I've never liked the PSX, I can't comment on how good the game list is or isn't. It's nothing which appeals to me, but the same is true of the system itself. However, a lot of them are not games I recall being popular back in those days, but that's just anecdotal. I've never even heard of some of these.

The only thing I'll say is that they really should have tried to get Gran Turismo in there. As the number one best-seller on the PS1, lots of people probably have nostalgia for that game. It probably would have been enough to just remove the logos for the cars and they'd be fine. A PS1 Classic without Gran Turismo is almost like an NES Classic without Super Mario Bros.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, the Playstation Classic is the Playstation All-stars Battle Royale of retro consoles.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, the Playstation Classic is the Playstation All-stars Battle Royale of retro consoles.

Except that PS All-Stars BR actually had some redeeming features. The PlayStation Classic does not, but I get where you would get that analogy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:46:18 PM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
It's really sad that the "Micheal" commercial is still the coolest thing Sony has ever done to celebrate Playstation.

For that total loser who uses mobile like a chump.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »
Too harsh.

There are a bunch of good games on the PS Classic system. Many lapsed or non-gamers will be happy to replay Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy VII for the first time in years. The selected puzzle games are actually all pretty good, which will give the console some casual play value too.

The cost isn't at all justified for me, but saying there is no redeeming value is a step too far.
They just designed this little box of nostalgia for a different audience, I think...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »
Is it worth bumping this thread to mention that PSN has the Tomb Raider Legacy of Kain series on sale right now - something like 85% off, so close to a buck each?  It's not the same thing as buying a convenient plug-and-play console packed with old games, and none of these games cross-over with the PS Classic console lineup anyway, but if you have interest and a way to play these games (PS3, PSP, Vita) then it's hard to argue against the value.

I'm probably grabbing the original Tomb Raider for nostalgia. It sure as heck wasn't worth the standard price of $10 to me, but for a $1.50, I could relive some old gaming memories.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
We've played the PlayStation Classic, and it's underwhelming
As a piece of simple engineering, then, the PlayStation Classic is a triumph; a perfectly adorable, shrunken down version of the original that would look just splendid on your shelf. It's only really when you plug it in to play that things start to fall apart a little. The front-end is responsive if not exactly attractive - though its graphical stylings are at least period correct for the mid-90s games it's hosting. There are next to no options - you'll have the ability to enable a screensaver, tinker with power saving modes and language and... That's it. There are no screen filters, and nothing to try and soothe the transition of these games onto TVs that they were never designed for.
It most certainly is not a decent emulator, and far from the best way to play this (limited) selection of games.
At least it outputs in 720p.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616

A listing of licenses for open-source software accessible in the PlayStation Classic’s menu said that it uses the open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX ReARMed.

Yeah, can't really spend that much money on it if you're not going to nail the emulation.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »
Do the Nintendo classics have all those extra functions which aren't on this one? I saw a couple neat touches, like using the disc tray button at 'swap the disc' moments, and it emulates internal memory cards including the game logos.

That said, no PS1 start-up sound, no buy.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
$100 jeez

Buying the real deal doesn't cost that much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »
It outputs in 720p but it doesn't render at 720p so who cares? It only outputs at 720p because that's typically the minimum supported resolution via any TV's HDMI port these days, same with the NES and SNES Classic.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
Do the Nintendo classics have all those extra functions which aren't on this one? I saw a couple neat touches, like using the disc tray button at 'swap the disc' moments, and it emulates internal memory cards including the game logos.

That said, no PS1 start-up sound, no buy.

Nintendo classics out of the box have the reset button take you out of the game and back into the main menu.  There are also (i think 4?) save slots for each game on the NES/SNES classics. 

If you don't have qualms with modifying the software, you can pretty easily assign the reset input to the controller.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 08:45:32 AM »
$100 jeez

Buying the real deal doesn't cost that much.

Depends on what you mean. 

For a PS1 console and two controllers?  Sure, I easily can find that around for $25.

For the same list of games on top of that?  no.

You can argue and question the value compared to several other ways to play PS1 games (including the PS1, PS2, and PS3 consoles all accepting PS1 discs, and PS3 having digital offerings), but when comparing to other plug-and-play consoles, I don't think it's completely out of bounds at that price range.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
..., but when comparing to other plug-and-play consoles, I don't think it's completely out of bounds at that price range.

I agree that it's not completely out of bounds... but it's also not great value from what I'm seeing.

Feature set is ok, but pretty bare-bones.
Emulation quality is reported to be only ok, not great.
Game selection generally makes sense when appealing to people nostalgic for big sellers, although has a bunch of obvious omissions and clearly could have been better.

Even without getting into the fact that most of these games are playable elsewhere without too much trouble, and that pricing is a bit higher than what you see from competing systems (maybe because Sony has less first-party content?), the PlayStation Classic seems like a pretty mediocre system.

Obviously people who have strong nostalgia for the PS era, or who don't have affordable access to these games elsewhere, might feel differently...

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
I generally agree with your points.

I think Sony's intentions is like what Nintendo originally though with the NES/SNES classic though - people who maybe aren't as up to speed on current gaming but had/enjoyed/had nostalgia for the Playstation 1, don't want the hastle of a current console, want something plug-and-play.

But then we get right back to the problem of the games included.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »
Sony doesn't have as many consoles they can feasibly do this with as Nintendo does. You could probably do a PS2 classic although I don't know how easy it is to get a PS2 emulator running on the cheap these days but beyond that it's hard to say.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2018, 03:22:57 AM »
I think the classic consoles pretty much jumped the shark with this. The originals were $39.99 and then Nintendo upped it to $79.99, but it was better. Sony upping it to $100 is too far.  Many beloved Playstation games are mostly on Android now. I guess you're getting a box. I don't get real nostalgic for playstation. I could for n64,  but then again I have a big collection. The advantage to an n64 classic is I don't necessarily have to get up to change games. Also, I'd be pretty jazzed if they improved the joysticks build quality. Like make it out of metal instead.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
The more I hear about this thing, the worse it gets. The price is expensive, the games list is poor and lacking most of the titles people actually cared about, the emulation is apparently substandard, and the controllers aren't Dualshocks.

Why, again, should anyone buy this PoS? All the games on it are widely available on previous devices and are better played there. I have my issues with Nintendo's mini-consoles, but at least they seem to care about these things when they put them out. Sure, I've hacked them to add personal favorites, but the existing games on them were generally great selections.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
The PSX Classic is also just running the open source PCSX Reloaded emulator. I've lost all interest.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »
Remember when Somy tried to sue PS1 emulators out of existence? Those were the days.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
Just to add to this pile, Sony has confirmed that some of the games are represented by PAL versions, even for the North American product.  That means they run at a lower framerate.  This includes Tekken 3 which is one of the few true classics on this thing, now buggered up for really no good reason at all.  In what universe is a PAL version of ANY console game worth digging up now that TV signals are standardized through all regions?  As long as the system outputs HDMI then it will work in all regions so it should be using the framerate the game was originally designed for.

So for those counting it's $100 for FFVII, MGS, and a lot of questionable bullshit.  I am in shock at how flubbed this has been, particularly since the reaction to the original reveal was quite positive.  I feel like a complete sucker for ever suspecting this was worthy of the same discussion as Nintendo's Classic systems.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
It's garbage. IGN gave it a 5.5, idk what they were thinking with this thing. They should have enabled 3D hardware acceleration at the very least - they used an open source emulator that already has this option.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
Did they give a reason for using PAL versions?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
It's garbage. IGN gave it a 5.5, idk what they were thinking with this thing. They should have enabled 3D hardware acceleration at the very least - they used an open source emulator that already has this option.

5.5 is pretty damn terrible in an era where reviewers are afraid to give bad games a score lower than 7.  Yet it's still higher than Rainbow Six's GameRanking score! lol

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »
I haven't seen one...maybe licensing or something? That's a bizarre choice though, who wants to play games at full speed, right?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
So if I were to guess, it's because the hardware sucks and it was easier to get some games running at 50fps than 60fps...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-emulation-first-look

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2018, 11:50:50 PM »
The suspected reasoning I've heard about PAL versions is because of the multiple languages those games have allowing them to release the same unit in various regions. Nintendo, on the other hand, created different Classics for the various regions they released them in.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
So weird and disappointing.

PS Classic could have been pretty awesome. Game selection was always going to be tricky with so much third-party reliance, but it's not like they were lacking for options. I really expected Sony would do a better job on the hardware side. Having expandable Micro SD storage and access to the PSN store might have always been a pipe dream for this micro system... but the reality is very underwhelming.

Yet the whole thing seems like a colossal flop in execution. Questionable games, PAL ROMs, weak hardware, unfortunate controller choice... At least the power/reset/open buttons are all functional and awesome, and they didn't use any proprietary connectors.

Distribution woes aside, it seems like Nintendo is still the only company to get one of these retro mini-consoles right?  (The Commodore 64 one seems really close though; maybe I'm giving it short shrift.)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »
The best PSX Classic experience remains a modded PS3 or PSP.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »
So if I were to guess, it's because the hardware sucks and it was easier to get some games running at 50fps than 60fps...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-emulation-first-look

If you can't match 1995 hardware in 2018 you're doing something really wrong.  That would be like flubbing an Atari emulator in 2000.  But the Japanese version is all NTSC and presumably it can run those games fine.

I wonder if the PAL thing was due to handing off the ROM gathering duties to some intern you doesn't know better and he just grabbed English language ROMs not knowing that PAL and NTSC are things and no one spotted this until production was already under way.  Dedicated retro game enthusiasts know the difference but I know tons of people that owned a PlayStation back in the day and have good familiarity with it but have no clue that Europe and North America have different video standards and that that affects games.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »
PSP Go (synced with a DualShock controller, and connected via Component cables) is so much better than PlayStation Classic. Not easier to find these days, nor cheaper unless you bought in a long time ago when the system was getting cleared out. But still better, not to mention more flexible. It's been fun to run through a bunch of old PS1 Classics at home using one.

That said, it appears the PS Classic has been hacked quite efficiently by now. At least that prevents game selection from being the main blocking issue (assuming you don't mind the hacking/piracy required). I'm still a bummed about the old-style controllers though. Original PlayStation controllers are literally my least favorite of any gaming controllers I've used.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
The price is way down on Playstation Classic now. Now it's worth its price.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »
The best PSX Classic experience remains a modded PS3 or PSP.
Nah, the Vita has that crown if you can get past the memory cards.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
The price is way down on Playstation Classic now. Now it's worth its price.

Despite this being marked down online everywhere I see, when I go into Walmart it still lists the full price, which in CAD is like $120 or $130 (can't remember the exact amount).

Because of the PAL thing I just don't feel any desire to buy it at any price.  It sounds like the specs are junk so even hacking it probably isn't worthwhile if the games don't run well.  Most of the games I would actually be interested in I either already have them or some variation of them on another system (ie: Twin Snakes on Gamecube; Super Puzzle Fighter on PS3) or they're cheap titles if I want to get them.  I have a PS1, PS2 and PS3 and all of those can play PS1 discs so I have no lack of options there.  The SNES Classic had tons of games that are quite expensive to get old carts of these days which made it a tremendous value if you wanted to just play the games.  The PS Classic doesn't have that.  If you want Toshinden, for some reason, you can find it for under 10 bucks.  Persona is an exception as it is really expensive but you can get for the PSP and as far as I can tell that's the better version.

So what would I ever want this for?  It sucks at doing what it's supposed to do and the game library it comes with is so hit or miss that I might as well cherry pick the titles I do want for other platforms or a real PS1.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
The pal thing can be solved with a usb keyboard. It's too bad that it's $120 CAD(90USD) there. I got mine for $59.99. I've seen it for as low as $39.99 USD as of recently.  They're trying to get rid of the stock now. It was that bad of a failure. I'm not sure how you'd go about importing it at a cheaper price. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I haven't hacked it yet, mainly because I have a really old computer with windows xp, so I might not be able to use the software. I also have no PSX roms. So, I wouldn't get far.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »
They are like $80 CAD on amazon.ca, so there are cheaper options available. I'm a bit surprised that pricing hasn't dropped even further though.

Crazy that it's still $130 CAD at walmart.ca - no way these are worth that much and the demand isn't going move those units. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised though. My local Walmart still has full price Wii games on the shelf. Golly, I miss the days when Target tried to set up shop in Canada - that chain made a lot of bad choices, but they really understood how to mark down old/unwanted stock to get it off their shelves.

As for PS Vita being the best way to play... does it have TV output?  If not, then you aren't going to sway me from my PSP leanings.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2019, 12:16:05 PM »
As for PS Vita being the best way to play... does it have TV output?  If not, then you aren't going to sway me from my PSP leanings.

You don't want the PS Vita, you want the PS TV.  That's essentially a console version of the Vita that connects to a TV.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »

You don't want the PS Vita, you want the PS TV.  That's essentially a console version of the Vita that connects to a TV.

Ah, but the PS TV isn't portable.

With PSP, you can use the video-out cables to play full-size PSOne Classics on your TV or detach the console and play on the move! Best of both worlds (as long as you don't need HDMI).
:D

(I actually have a PSTV unit and am pretty happy with it too... but memory cards are insanely expensive and prone to getting corrupted, so I'm really hesitant to download games there.)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
Yeah but who the hell wants to play PS1 games on a TV? They aren't exactly good looking.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
Yeah but who the hell wants to play PS1 games on a TV? They aren't exactly good looking.

Jaggies you could cut your CENSORED on...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2019, 02:59:29 PM »
Teeth?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »

Although early 3D graphics haven't aged well for the most part, there are still a few lookers in the PS1 library. Castlevania (Chronicles, or Symphony of Night) on a big screen is nice, and so is Metal Slug. Lots of RPGs hold up well too, like Final Fantasy 9 or Breath of Fire 4 or Legend of Mana.

Mostly I agree with you, but there are enough exceptions to make it a nice option.

Plus, playing some games on a small handheld screen hides the rough edges but also hide a lot of "detail" that might be necessary - whether that's good or bad depends on the game. Playing Soviet Strike on a bigger screen where enemy bullets can be more easily seen doesn't hurt!

Teeth?

I was thinking "pixels", but wanted to leave it up for interpretation.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »

I love the irony of questioning why someone would want to play games for a console designed to hook up your TV to a TV.  Of course the coolest way to play PS1 games in on the PSOne with the flip up LCD screen! :)

Regarding the visuals this probably sounds like blasphemy on a Nintendo site but I actually prefer the PS1 graphics these days over the N64.  At the time I thought the PS1 graphics were jaggy and grainy but the N64's approach to addressing this was by making everything blurry.  The textures are also compressed and low-res to fit on the cartridge.  I'm pretty sure the first time I played N64 it was a coaxial connection on an 80's TV so it wasn't so noticeable but these days it sure is.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2019, 09:35:03 PM »
I think it depends on where you play n64 games. I have a Sanyo True Flat CRT screen. First party n64 games look "great" Many third party games look really bad. A few games hold up well from third parties.

You can turn off anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing with a gameshark. It's interesting. I used to call the cheat PSX mode.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »
So these are down to $40 CAD now, and were apparently being blown out from some stores at $20 recently... they are hacked if you care to make the effort... and I'm still having a hard time justifying a purchase. If I wanted to just hack something for pirating PS games, which I'm not all the keen to do, then I've got two PSP Go systems with cradles and TV out cables.

Am I off base here and missing out on a great deal? With two other mini consoles in the house already, is there value in grabbing a PS Classic while they are still kicking around?  It just seems like putting that money towards a Sega Genesis Mini would be a better option.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »
If you don't have Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid in some other form, $20 is worth it for those.  They're not in PAL versions are each easily worth $10 each.  Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
If you don't have Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid in some other form, $20 is worth it for those.  They're not in PAL versions are each easily worth $10 each.  Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Good enough - those games are covered, so I'm officially out on PS Classic despite the discounts.

I do admit that Intelligent Qube (did I spell that right?) looked interesting, but it's not enough to justify the time/space/effort.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »
So I got suckered into an impulse buy on one of these units because they are so damn cheap now.
My only real goal is to hack it so that I can play X-COM: Terror From the Deep on my TV instead of trying to find a way to play my Steam copy.

But when looking for other games that I might want to put on it, I realized that there just aren't many PS1 titles that appeal to me*. I remember the console have "all the games" back in the day, but looking now there are almost none that look worth playing outside of the (admittedly excellent) RPG lineup.

Spider-Man and Silent Bomber are both maybes if I can secure the images. I might copy over some of the PSN library that I already own for convenient access. Castlevania, Crash Team Racing, Herc's Adventures, and Mega Man Legends all seem like decent candidates.

Also, did anyone else grab one and hack it? Any recommendations about what provides the easiest, most direct interface? I don't want options, I just want the cleanest way possible to start playing the games I put on this mini console.

*: I say not many games, and yet I own 42 PSOne Classics on PSN. So really I mean to say "not many games that I don't already have full access to"...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:52:11 PM by ejamer »

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2019, 01:50:10 AM »
Every time I see this thread these days, all I can think is:

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
With the ability to switch things to NTSC using the keyboard hack (though I have no idea if any keyboard I own will work with it) and these things getting marked down I'm becoming somewhat interested in getting one if I can find it cheap, like under $20 cheap.  My local Wal-Mart has like ten of these things on the bottom shelf of their PS4 case still with a $40 price tag.  Come on, Wal-Mart, the jig is up!  Clear these things out for ten bucks and call it a day!

I haven't hacked my NES or SNES Classic and probably won't since I like them as they are.  But I won't have the same attachment to the PS Classic so it would be ideal to be my designated hack machine.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »
I haven't hacked my NES or SNES Classic and probably won't since I like them as they are.  But I won't have the same attachment to the PS Classic so it would be ideal to be my designated hack machine.

Exactly!

But does your Walmart actually mark things down?  Mine still has $60 Wii games.  Like, not the ones that might make sense to keep at that price - the shovelware they couldn't sell when people buying Wii games was actually a thing.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »

Exactly!

But does your Walmart actually mark things down?  Mine still has $60 Wii games.  Like, not the ones that might make sense to keep at that price - the shovelware they couldn't sell when people buying Wii games was actually a thing.

The games get marked down when they move from behind the glass case into a bin or a shelf.  It's like they're saying "we're not concerned about someone shoplifting this anymore".  Though they're slow about it.  No Wii games thankfully (except Just Dance 2019 of course!) but they still have too many full priced Wii U titles.

A few years ago my brother managed to score a PSTV for the same price as a PS3 controller (and it COMES with one, so it was essentially buy-a-controller-get-PSTV-free) when they were clearing them out.  So in theory this does happen.

I also have my eye on the lone Arcade1Up cabinet they still have.  It's Pac-Man, which is not what I would pick if I could have any of the Arcade1Up systems, but it's one I would gladly own if I could get a deal.  I've read reports of people finding those marked down to ridiculously low prices but this sits there all alone with its $450 CAD price tag.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2019, 06:10:06 PM »
A few years ago my brother managed to score a PSTV for the same price as a PS3 controller (and it COMES with one, so it was essentially buy-a-controller-get-PSTV-free) when they were clearing them out.  So in theory this does happen.

Was that the Lego Movie box set? I grabbed a copy of that one too, when it was like $50 CAD. Not a bad score, and it's been a great little mini-console for me. So maybe I'm being too harsh when suggesting there are no markdowns. It's just less common than I'd like for old stuff that obviously isn't going to sell at full price.

... Arcade1Up systems, ...

Those do seem tempting, but they're so tiny and the pricing isn't quite friendly enough to convince me yet.
But the TMNT one coming out sure does look sweet!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:16 PM »
So having had one for a little while, purchased at $30 CAD, I would be disappointed if not for the ability to hack the console.

The controller choice (non-DualShock) is a bit of a let down, the menus and interface feel slapped together and ugly, and the software included is a strange mix of odd and disappointing. The whole thing screams "cash in"... although by now it seems like that didn't pan out since everyone learned very quickly this mini console wasn't up to snuff.

Unfortunately, the hacks right now seem to prefer running off a USB and leaving the console memory mostly untouched. I'm not a fan of that approach. There are enough outright bad games on the system that I'm aiming to outright replace them - this can be done, but is apparently a bit more work. Also, buying an extra flash drive and powered USB hub (which is what people are recommending to use with the hacks) is more than I'm willing to shell out for a tiny portable console that doesn't stay hooked up when not in use.

Assuming there are no space issues, I think my target list of 20 games will look something like this:
1. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Herc's Adventures
6. Intelligent Qube
7. Jumping Flash!
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Mr Driller
10. Mega Man Legends 2
11. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
12. Rayman
13. Resident Evil Director's Cut
14. Revelations: Persona
15. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
16. Suikoden 2
17. Tomb Raider
18. Vagrant Story
19. Wild Arms
20. X-Com: Terror From the Deep

For anyone with a PSX itch to scratch, there are some excellent games on sale via PSN this week if you have the appropriate hardware to buy them.  (And if you do have hardware already, then buying those versions might be a better use of your money than the PlayStation Classic anyway.)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2019, 12:13:56 AM »
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Herc's Adventures
6. Intelligent Qube
7. Jumping Flash!
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Mr Driller
10. Mega Man Legends 2
12. Rayman
16. Suikoden 2
17. Tomb Raider
18. Vagrant Story
19. Wild Arms

I don't see Chrono Cross on that list.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2019, 12:17:59 AM »
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Herc's Adventures
6. Intelligent Qube
7. Jumping Flash!
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. Mr Driller
10. Mega Man Legends 2
12. Rayman
16. Suikoden 2
17. Tomb Raider
18. Vagrant Story
19. Wild Arms

I don't see Chrono Cross on that list.

Then he has taste, then.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
RPGs are actually a bit of a question mark for my list. Most of the PSX games that interest me probably fall in that genre, but they take a big commitment and I didn't want RPGs to overwhelm other genres. It would have been easy to add at least another half dozen if I expected to have time to play them.

I also avoided putting any games on the list that I don't legally own in some form or another (not that it makes much difference to anyone, I guess). So Chrono Cross had two strikes against being included.

If the second self-imposed restriction was lifted then Einhander and Ghost in the Shell probably would've made the list instead of Rayman and Resident Evil. Maybe Saiyuki: Journey West too...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
I've been putting in some time with my PS Classic recently.

It's funny... I'm still not a PS1 fan. The library of games is large, but most of them really didn't appeal to me very much. Worse, most games on the system have aged extremely poorly regarding both design and technology. However, it really only takes one or two games you want to play to make the whole thing justified.

For me, X-Com: Terror From the Deep was that game. It's easily accessible on PC, but (at least for me) slightly less convenient to play that way than to have a plug-and-play version available anywhere. Throw in Castlevania and Mega Man Legends, and suddenly this little mini console is actually something I'm getting a lot of joy from. It's also nice to get a few extra multiplayer games on the system - the arcade port of Bubble Bobble gets a lot of play, for example.

It's really a shame that Sony did such a half-ass job with this mini console. Underpowered hardware, poor user interface, questionable game selection, PAL version ROMs, not including dualshock controllers... it's like they were screaming "we don't care" when putting this thing together. However, replacing the games included on the console is easy, so I'm glad to have picked one up at deep clearance pricing.