Author Topic: Help me with my dream!  (Read 36873 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Help me with my dream!
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2007, 08:38:37 AM »
I've tested the Game Boys and two copies of the game that I have, but I haven't tested all the link cables and four player adapters.  Don't worry, I *will* test them and make sure everything is working *before* I get everyone over...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »
Hot-diggity darn!  I've got two copies of the game in-hand right now.  I've bought and paid for 12 others.  And I've got bids in on the "final two".

Wow.  This is happening quite fast.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »
He is getting closer, so says the photo he emailed me!

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »
I'm worried.

I've now got five copies of the game and I cannot seem to get them to link together in a Five Player game.  I've got e-mails out for support on this, but I've tried all kinds of combinations and can't seem to get anything to work for five players.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Help me with my dream!
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2007, 01:24:24 PM »
Maybe you can't have any empty spots on the four-player adapters?  Just a totally random guess.  If that was the case then six should work, since two of the eight slots are used to link the adapters together, right?

It would really suck if you found out that sixteen-player only worked in theory but they shipped the game when it wasn't actually possible - yet no one ever noticed.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2007, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
Wait a sec... how does Pay Pal work if you can't take credit cards? Do I have to add funds via my bank account first, then transfer those funds to you???

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »
The way I understood it the 4 player adapters cannot be used to get a 16 player network set up, the 16 player thing worked in their dev environment but the necessary hardware wasn't sold...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2007, 12:52:47 AM »
Karion: yeah, I believe that's how it works...

KDR: I'm beginning to believe that may be the case...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2007, 01:23:04 AM »
Oh man.... what a let down if that's the case.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2007, 02:01:55 AM »
It's supposed to work...

The logistics of the setup necessary to take advantage of 16-sided play were so demanding as to make a full Four Swords ensemble seem like nothing: sixteen players, sixteen Game Boys, sixteen copies of FaceBall, a handful of daisy-chained four-player link cables, and enough AA batteries to sustain a small city through a rolling blackout.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2007, 04:22:44 AM »
Well, how does multiplayer work?  Are there modes for any number up to 16 players, or is it like, single player/two-player/four-player/sixteen-player without any of the numbers in between?  If the latter, maybe you can't do any more then four-player until you get a full sixteen...

I'm just guessing again.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2007, 05:06:12 AM »
CRAP.

I have something that might be working... but I'm not certian.  I really need a 5th GBA to test this out though...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2007, 05:55:43 AM »
Current Testing Situation:

I am just unable to get the original Game Boy Four player adatpers to work (with the five game paks I have now).

When using the Four Player adapter for Four Players, the title screen looks like this:

Notice the number 4 in the box on the bottom right?  That's telling you how many players you have connected.  It doesn't appear when you're just using two GB's with one link cable.

Plugging a second FPA into the first one, in either of the three ports doesn't allow me to do anything useful.... So I did some Google seaching and came across something that interested me.

It was a post right here on Nintendo World Report forums.

By me.

Go ahead and take a second to read the initial post in this thread.  Don't worry... I'll wait.....

Well, as you can see, for F1 Race, this particular linking method failed.  Miserably.  F1 Race simply would *not* recognize linked units with GBA Link cables...

...But what if FaceBall 2000 did?

Here is four GBAs, linked together in a hearty chain of love.

Booting up the units, you get:

Nothing.  You'll notice there is no box saying how many players are connected, like when using the FPA.

Except, when starting the game...

"4 Players Ready" - just like it says when you start the game with the FPA.

Unfortunatly, I only have four GBA units - and thus cannot test this with a 5th one (also, I only have four GBA link cables, I'd need another one of those)... but something tells me this is the route I want to take to make this work...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2007, 06:57:46 AM »
Courage um, ...Richard. Ulysses' Odyssey was not an easy journey either.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »
Sweetness...
ShyGuy says your going to meet Sirens.
This is going to sound weird but I wonder what would happen if you called the manufacturer/developer and asked for help on configuration.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2007, 08:16:12 AM »
Hey, maybe they'll send you their one-and-only-Faceball-2000-specific-multi-link adapter with 16 built-in GB Link Cable ends (with 16 ends, maybe it'll look like two tarantulas on top of each other for some reason) which they did testing of the game on, since they have no use for it any longer and you're the only person in history other than them to even attempt accomplish to this.

Yeah, right.  :P  But it would be funny if they did send you something like that.

Though I'm arachnophobic and if I wasn't too freaked out by the sight, I'd smash anything that looks like two tarantulas on top of each other because I certainly don't want more tarantulas in the world.

This post took an odd turn.  :/

It's probably been said but I think you could tour with gaming conventions since too few people in the world have, or could ever, experience 16-player Faceball 2000.  It would probably look best if you had 16 yellow Game Boy Pockets, official GB Link Cables, and a platformesque structure to arrange all sixteen Game Boys in a fixed circle thing.  And staff with yellow happy face T-shirts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2007, 09:36:01 AM »
I've got e-mails out to try to find out what I can do...

It's interesting how odd of a turn this took.  First, we thought it'd be hard to find 16 copies of the game but the systems would be the hard part.  Now, it turns out that the game was pretty easy to get, but it's the systems that might cause me problems...

Well, worst case, I found a use for the games...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2007, 09:49:07 AM »
Systems won't be a problem; if you find sixteen players chances are you're got at least that many systems (if not double that number).  The problem is coming up with the systems before coming up with the players.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2007, 06:17:59 AM »
As interesting as it would be to get every Game Boy that SHOULD be compatible, maybe your best bet is to get 16 of one particular Game Boy type.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »
Although I'm not sure who would at this point, for any doubters out there:

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »
That's an obvious Photoshop

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
GAH!!! SOMEONE OUT BID ME ON THE LAST COPY I NEEDED!!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »
And it wasn't me :sad;

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
It works, it works!  Whoo!  It works!  I'll post more info when I get home, but I gotta go paint now.

Also, I got my 16th copy today - found it at a used game store.

*EDIT* - I'm done with painting for today.  Actually, we didn't do a lick of painting - just stripping.  It's hell.

Anywhoo, I was able to test the game with five GBA units, linked together as shown above (except with two more GBASPs, one less GameBoy Player, and one more Cable).

This, of course, means my next step is to get more GBA cables...

Also, I got my NES Top Loader that I've wanted forever.  It didn't come with Dogbone controllers, but, hey... beggars can't be choosers, eh?