Author Topic: List of Suggestions  (Read 21022 times)

Offline popkorn1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2003, 08:09:34 AM »
There's nothing much more I want change about these forums, I love them, color and all!

Regarding the post about the graphic at the top taking you back to PGC and not the forum main page, I agree, but also understand Rick's reasoning.  I'm just throwing this out there - I'd be happy with it:

Why not do an image map or something on that graphic, and have the "Planet Gamecube" part take you back to PGC, and the "Forums" part of the graphic take you to the forums main page?  That makes sense, and it would help a ton.  I hate having to click that tiny "home" button.

Keep up the great work!!!!!!

Offline Frozen-Solid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2003, 09:34:57 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Rick.  Just one last question, is it possible to make "subscribe to this thread" checked by default?

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2003, 09:39:02 AM »

Also, all the complaints about colors, avatars, signatures, ect. are just annoying the crap out of me. Who cares if you get some stupid picture underneith your name or some piddly title saying you've posted more then someone else? Things like that are what makes forums suck. I much prefer the way you guys are doing things now then in the past. You're old forums were slow, cluttered, and filled with stupidity. While the stupidity still remains thanks to certain forumers, at least it's no longer slow and cluttered. While avatars at the very least would be nice (hell, they can be limited to 100x100 pixels and limited to being hosted off the site to keep bandwidth usage down) they dont really matter.

Nice contradiction there. Who cares about avatars? Obviously YOU DO, or else you wouldn't have said they would only be nice to the very least. (Meaning the least they can be is nice, I wonder if you even know what you are saying.) Of course, I am also disappointed to hear you say that we are stupid. So much for having mature "forumers".
Now let me explain this thread to you. They are suggestions for improvements if possible!!! None are complaints. I even tried to explain that a little, even by the topic sentence, but obviously some people just have a hard time understanding.

There is so much cool stuff that we're going to be able to do, you'll hardly beleive it when we start unleashing it on you guys. In fact, it's going to make you guys wonder why you were griping about avatars and titles so much.

Hah, what are you trying to do, start another megaton?
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2003, 09:45:06 AM »
one thing this forum reminds me of is the discus boards...we didn't have signatures(we just posted a phrase every single time...kinda a manual signature before they were called signatures...or something)<BR>At the same time its a lot like ezboards...one thing is it looks a lot cleaner. I think in this forum we will be able to increase once again our level of eliteness. The original op2000 boards were a cesspool of eliteness(hell we criticized people's spelling for god sake; you don't see that any more!), unfortunately too many people came in<BR>and flooded it with idiocy. We rarely had "fanboy attacks" in the old day where some fanboy would come on the board and wreak havoc...hell how old is the term fanboy?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:27:02 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
List of Suggestions
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2003, 12:18:18 PM »
Ahh, the OpN2000 days of the intelligencia. Though in retrospect it was too closed a community for its own good (leads to intellectual in-breeding when you can't bring in new blood often enough), the concept of it being a place where people HAD to step up to the plate to even register as a blip on the radar is somewhat missed. Memories...
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline Frozen-Solid

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2003, 01:24:43 PM »
The stupidity here comes from people not being able to read.  I said "avatars would be nice but are not needed" - I'll take bannerless, popupless forums that are hosted on a site's own over some pointless avatars any day.

These are easily some of the fastest and best looking forums I've ever used.  Let's keep it that way.

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2003, 02:27:33 PM »
Frozen, did you read what I said? Yes, you only suggested it would be nice, but it is not needed for this forum to function. Well, thank you for that obvious information. However, like you, I think it would be nice also, and if there is a possibility of getting avatars, I am not going to just lazily sit down and say "Oh well." I want to find out WHY there are no avatars. You find that stupid, but lazyness will get you nowhere, buddy. You can't complain saying it would be nice and saying we are stupid for saying it would be nice as well. Thats just truly idiotic. You need to realize what you are saying before you do say it.  
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline Frozen-Solid

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2003, 02:38:47 PM »
Once again, you fail to see my point. While they are a "nice" addition, I really couldnt give a damn about them.  These forums are already fast and work great, avatars would just slow them up again.  And while I am lazy, that is not why I dont care about avatars.  I dont care abotu avatars because I DONT CARE. They are a useless perk and I couldnt give a damn if they were here or not. 99% of people's avatars looked like pure <insert word here, stupid censors...> anyway.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2003, 04:04:40 PM »
One thing I would like to see is a link that you can click that shows you all the new posts since your last visit.  It's a feature that I sorely miss from the last forum I was an active poster at.  It was blended into their search function, and presented you with the link when you logged in.  It was nice because you could just browse through the pages of new posts, and post in the threads that caught your eye.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2003, 04:07:29 PM »
That's probably not going to happen, unless I can find a way to manage the sheer size the list would become if someone left for a month or so then came back.  It would be a fairly major database draw, unfortunately.  It would work fine in a small forum, but if this gets anywhere near as large as the last one, it would get very unweildy, VERY fast.  Sorry.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2003, 04:50:01 PM »
And yet you fail to see MY point. I see them as good, but useless also. However, unlike you, I would like to have them and that is no reason to call anyone stupid over that. And Rick, you know that link you click to see all users online? Well, can you make it so the default list we see is "all" instead of "a"? Because I am thinking that is unecissary to go through an alphabet first.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2003, 05:16:48 PM »

Well, can you make it so the default list we see is "all" instead of "a"? Because I am thinking that is unecissary to go through an alphabet first.

Same reason.  While it might be handy NOW, when the forum starts getting really busy, it's going to create a huge database draw.  I mean, we're already getting between 10-20 people online at once, and that's in only four days of being in BETA.  When we shut down the other forums and kick this into high gear, it's going to be a LOT worse.

Trust me, if we're not giving you a very logical and helpful feature, it's probably in the interest of keeping the Forums moving at a decent pace.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2003, 05:17:38 PM »
ah Justin Nation the co-father of the opn2000/pn2000/pgc legacy. You didnt see him or Billy on the other forums...because their crazy(the forums, not necassarilly the co-fathers...they could bu thats besides the point)  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2003, 05:22:16 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
That's probably not going to happen, unless I can find a way to manage the sheer size the list would become if someone left for a month or so then came back.  It would be a fairly major database draw, unfortunately.  It would work fine in a small forum, but if this gets anywhere near as large as the last one, it would get very unweildy, VERY fast.  Sorry.

Actually, the forum I am speaking of was very large, and got a large amount of traffic daily.  I am willing to bet more than the PGC forums.  Usually I would log in about once a day, and whenever I searched for the new posts I would get about 200 results. I know that someone recently was gone for 5 months and got something like 10,000 results.  I am not sure how much bandwidth it consumed, or how big a draw it was on the database, but it seemed to be manageable by the site.

It seems to be offline at the moment, but if you would like I can PM you with the URL.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
List of Suggestions
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2003, 01:12:01 AM »
Though possibly not the best place to talk tech for Rick, if you did want to build in such a feature you could put a cap on the records returned. Thing is, it would still be a somewhat unnecessary strain since this board at least will point you to content that has been updated, just at a high level and it makes you drill down. It's one of those things though... if you check in often enough the number of new threads to check is manageable, if you leave for too long you may as well assume just about everything is new anyway...
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2003, 08:03:28 AM »
Never let it be said that I don't try to listen to our users.  I've set the Who's On screen to default to listing ALL users Online.  However, we reserve the right to turn this feature OFF when/if it becomes to much of a database draw.

But until then ... enjoy!  

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2003, 08:44:04 AM »

Never let it be said that I don't try to listen to our users.  I've set the Who's On screen to default to listing ALL users Online.  However, we reserve the right to turn this feature OFF when/if it becomes to much of a database draw.

Can you set it up so that users can decide how many Who's On users they want to look at on a page,  5, 10 per page, and so on like the number of topics, or threads on a page?  I like features like that because I find it easier and faster to display 10 instead of twenty.  It works in my e-mail and on the old forums.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2003, 08:51:25 AM »
That would actually require quite a bit more work than changing a simple default setting.  Perhaps in the future, but not at this time.

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2003, 09:51:33 AM »
TALKBACK

Can you set things up so that when readers want to discuss a news item it doesn't just go into the "Talk back" forum? I think it would be better if the threads were in the proper forums: gameboy news would go into the gameboy forum, gamecube news would go into the gamecube forum, and so forth.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2003, 09:59:56 AM »
We could, but the effort involved would be significant, and I'm not entirely sure that it would be all that beneficial in the long run.  I'll look into it, but I'm not making any promises.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2003, 10:04:21 AM »
How about a listing of all forum members, not just the ones online at the moment?  Or is that not easy to do?
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2003, 10:10:22 AM »
It's very easy to do, but it's already over 300 users, and isn't going to get any smaller.  Sorry, but the draw on the database would be much too large.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2003, 11:07:02 AM »

Originally posted by: Edisim
TALKBACK

Can you set things up so that when readers want to discuss a news item it doesn't just go into the "Talk back" forum? I think it would be better if the threads were in the proper forums: gameboy news would go into the gameboy forum, gamecube news would go into the gamecube forum, and so forth.

Actually, you're not the first one to suggest this, but I do think it's better to have all of the news in one discussion area. - And remember not everything falls neatly into a category which makes things much more complicated when you're talking about setting up an automated system.

Goodness!! The quote function in these forums is slick.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2003, 11:59:55 AM »

Thanks Rick, you the man! And for now, I have no complaints. You know, since you guys are mainly doing other things at the moment.

Offline Evilmanman

• View Profile
List of Suggestions
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2003, 02:17:02 AM »
how about Mario emoticons!
and a seperate page to click on to see what the emoticons look like, which also shows the code used to type it.
Also a place to write a description in your profile.

But other then that all is good.
THE SECRET IS ON THE EASTERN PENINSULA. I KNOW NOTHING. I AM ERROR.