Author Topic: Retron 5 - ???  (Read 9258 times)

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
Retron 5 - ???
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
I haven't seen a post on here about the Retron 5.  I've never had a clone system before but I couldn't help but to pre-order it. 

Plays NES/SNES/GEN/Master System (thru Power Converter), all gameboy systems
Upconverts all games to 720p
Bluetooth controller + slots for NES/SNES/GEN/MS controller (controllers can be remapped)
10 save states per game through SD card support
Use any controller with any system
# of different filters including scan lines
supposedly 100% compatibility and no lag action
ability to speed up or slow down games (Mario at 200%?)
built in game genie code support
$99 price tag

Am I dumb?  I actually have all these systems and a GBA player on the gamecube, but I'd been considering getting a 2nd SNES for another TV and I think this would be nice to try instead.  I'm big on the save state support (only reason I've been supporting VC), and HDMI output since it is difficult to get a good setup on an hd tv with an old system. 

Typically clone systems have provided an inferior game option compared to the original and this may not be able to pull it off, but I like how this is trying to bring something new to retro games. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:20:48 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Retron 5 - ???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »
I've REALLY been eying it.

You're right - they're trying something totally new.  This is supposed to be an Android-based system with emulators.  They're claiming 100% compatibility and the ability to update the emulators if need be.

I'm really interested, because of all the extra features... but the "space saving" isn't a huge thing for me... in fact, I'd probably leave my NES/SNES hooked up.  Because.

I'm waiting to hear some of the reviews before I bite though.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:06:17 PM »
The save states thing is interesting. I've been meaning to replay a few SNES games, but I'm afraid the battery back up will die out on those old cartridges and I'll progress.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »
I am extremely interested in this.  But, I don't know where to buy physical games anymore.  Sometimes I wish companies would allow you to just purchase ROMs for gamers that want to use emulators.  I think opening that market would actually make you a lot of money. 

And I know you can say Nintendo does that with the Virtual Console and such...but actually, they don't.  If you buy the ROM you could play it on any emulator...not just a Nintendo system.

And then that answers my question why it would never happen. 

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »
The space savings is and isn't important to me. I have an nes/snes/dreamcast/genesis/gamecube all hooked to a 32" crt in my mancave.  I don't really plan on changing that setup. Its really about gaming on my 50" plasma and having access to those games without moving my systems back and forth (cable nightmare)

Plus on my main tv, my wife would not be pleased with multiple systems hooked up.   

Ebay or half.com are good places to buy online. Some people get lucky in garage sales or pawn shops. I get most of my games from a local game/dvd resell shop. There are generally a couple of these in every city.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
I have been tossing around the thought of getting a retro system ever since I discovered mt NES stopped working. Plus we only have one TV and my wife gets antsy with too many systems out at once. Would save the whole cable nightmare as well. And this would be an easy way for me to get a genesis system at the same time. Plus map-able and swap-able controllers would be awesome. I always prefered the SNES controller over the NES one.

Please post your impressions when/if you guys get one.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
I do plan on having a game session and posting on here when I get it. I'm open to specific game requests if I have them. I've had it preordered for a while and I haven't wavered on that decision. I've been picking up some games in anticipation. I picked up Mega Man and Bass for the Super Famicom to try out. I bought Snes extensions since I figure that will be my go to controller. I've got big expectations so we'll see if it can meet them.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:43:31 PM »
The Retron 5 got delayed until 1st Q of 2014.  So I guess I'll be waiting for my hands on for a little longer. 

I did read a couple of bad things from hands on.  Obviously the graphics look amazing.  There were a couple of reviews that said that there was input lag.  Supposedly Hyperkin will have this corrected in the final version but I'd be upset if it had lag since that will suck in most twitch games.  But I've decided at $99 I'll bite the bullet and hold my pre-order for now. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
I can't imagine that the graphics look "amazing." Sure there will be some filters, but an SNES game running a MAME2X filter still looks like an SNES game running a MAME2X filter. Having said that, it's still pretty awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »
Been a while but this thing is finally releasing. 

Here is probably the best review so far: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hyperkin-retron-5-review/1100-6419841/

There do appear to be a few games with some minor errors.  I saw somewhere that you couldn't transfer saves to the Catridge for Zelda/Mario RPG.  There was a game (Pier Solar) that supposedly doesn't play on it.  Some homebrew carts work/others don't.  Supposedly there will be a patch to fix some of these issues in a few days. 

Disappointing that they changed the official price to $139.  I pre-ordered from Amazon so I believe I'm locked in at $76.  But I wasn't a prime member then so I have slow shipping.  I don't officially have a delivery date, but I'm hoping to have the system by 6/13. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
Seems like a waste. Just download emulators for each console and download the ROMs for the games you own. This thing is basically doing the same thing.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
Yeah, if you buy a 6 $20 adapters to use your actual system controllers and either have a pc connected to an hdtv or are willing to keep one connected you'll get a similar experience.

Some of us old timers have a nice collection of carts and would rather play those than work with emulators. For $76 that I'm locked in at, I think it has a feature set that seems worth the price. I'll know more when I get it and can see the execution.  I have my systems currently connected to a 32" crt. That will be my base point of comparison.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »
But you are working with emulators, even though you're using the cartridges.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
It's more convenient in this box that uses actual controllers, carts, and has hdmi out. If you are happy with your pc emulation then this isn't for you. I know about pc emulation and I'm still but I'm still buying it. Others seemed to have an interest in it so I plan on posting impressions.  This product isn't for everybody so I wouldn't expect everybody to have an interest in it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
Reading the Review its not where I would want it for the asked price.  Now $50-70 (Cost of a new game)  I be there.  They need to be a bit better for there current price.  I'll keep watching.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »
Same. You got in on the deal, good for you, but that's way too much of a regular retail price. And again, you are using emulators on this thing. It's nice that you can use the real controllers, but the real controllers are terrible by today's standards, and a PS4 or 360 controller would be much more comfortable. Also bear in mind that the HDMI output is actually going to make everything look worse - you get more detail, but it's bad detail.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
Maybe I got a good deal, maybe the thing is a piece of crap.  I plan to post impressions so people can gauge what they may be willing to pay for something like this.  Hyperkin intends to get this to $99 eventually and I'm sure there will be sales prices.  This also has 5 cartridge slots and 6 controller ports which I'm sure adds to the cost over something like the Ouya.

You must need to clean your SNES controllers.  Mine works perfectly and play games from that era at least as good (if not better) than those other controllers.  I've certainly never heard it called terrible by someone that enjoys games from that era.  It's the gold standard from that time period.  The design was copied as recently as the Wii classic controller and many other controllers use the same basic design for retro play.  Most would greatly prefer it over the offset and poorly regarded 360 dpad.  Plus, I've always hated analogue shoulder buttons for retro games.  It messes up my timing immensely in something like Mario Kart.  But that's subjective and would give an idea why you prefer PC emulation as getting a 360 controller to work with that is easy. 

All the reviews I've seen say the added detail through HDMI looks much better than the composite that the systems use now.  Much like almost all PC emulation looks better than the original system.  But I'd rather have this conversation after I play the system.  Looking better is is a big feature and if it doesn't look better that would very negatively affect my impressions. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
I'll agree the NES controller is uncomfortable, but the SNES and Genesis controllers seem more than ergonomic enough for the games of those eras. They may not work well for many modern games though.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
I've never really cared for the SNES controller, but that may just be because I've barely ever used one. I love the 6-button Genesis pad, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
SNES controller is nice, but it's nothing compared to an Xbox 360 or PS4 controller. I imagine you'd be able to use those with the Retron 5 too.

Offline Cambot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »
Hey all, I'm not a really active community member here, but I've listened to the podcast religiously for about seven years and thought I'd post this:

I really like the Retron 5, by the way. I've always been a purist and never owned a clone, but this one caught my attention thanks to the HDMI out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:30:47 PM by Cambot »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
That poor thing...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »
I really haven't played this much or had a good opportunity to do back and forth comparisons directly to the SNES. 

I'm kind of torn on it right now.  Graphically some of the games look amazing.  But surprisingly, there isn't a one filter works for all games approach.  Some of the games just look odd with the graphical filters.  But you can show the games without filters so not all is lost. 

* The cart slots are tight, but I didn't find too much of an issue with it.  I've found pulled the cart on the corner loosens the cart without providing a great deal of force. 
* I haven't tried all the controller ports, but all my cartridge slots work I've tried the famicom/gba/master system.  It also recognized all the carts I've tried thus far.  I want to update the firmware before I go crazy with some combinations though. 
* It works well with an SNES controller.  I actually haven't played with the Retron 5 controller yet.  It feels as bad as they say in my hand though so I'm not looking forward to trying it.
* Knock on wood, system seems to play fine now and I've not had some of the problems others have had.  I think it looks nice with the SNES grey/purple highlights. 

Probably the only negative (and why I'm on the fence) is there definately is some lag with SNES games.  I'll try some different TVs and see how much is being affected by my end.  I'll also compare to Wii U VC offscreen because I think I've seen some lag there too.  It's not a great amount of lag and changing TVs to my PC monitor lowered the lag so there may be further opportunities to lower.  SMK is a game that I feel lags right now.  On my plasma tv I tried a couple of races and didn't place.  I tried with the PC monitor and I won the first 4 races.  It feels better, but still not like playing on a SNES.  I don't think every system has lag though.  I'll have to do some more research.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »
I imagine if there is lag it's due to your TV, but I could be wrong, especially if your TV is native 1080p plasma. I imagine you could try "Game Mode" but that's going to typically downsample to 480p and blow it up. If this thing output 1080p then you probably wouldn't have that lag - then again, it could just be an issue with the emulator.