Author Topic: Metroid Prime for Home Consoles Not Coming Until Next Console  (Read 12034 times)

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime for Home Consoles Not Coming Until Next Console
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
This thread isn't even about Metroid anymore. Nice job, everyone.

Then we've shown the Metroid franchise the exact same amount of respect that Nintendo has. Maybe now we can have a shitty spin-off thread with the same name coded in Geocities & ASCII Art (the "shitty tech demo" of internet technology).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »
This thread isn't even about Metroid anymore. Nice job, everyone.

Just like Nintendo's newest Metroid title.  ba-dumb-tish.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
The Wii U doesn't have a Metroid game, 3D World is a largely-multiplayer game more in line with the New Super Mario Bros. series, and Zelda will not be a Wii U game by this time next year. It's so incredibly obvious at this point that that's an NX game, without question.

So, Zelda's getting delayed to 2017?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 08:43:53 PM »
The Wii U doesn't have a Metroid game, 3D World is a largely-multiplayer game more in line with the New Super Mario Bros. series, and Zelda will not be a Wii U game by this time next year. It's so incredibly obvious at this point that that's an NX game, without question.

So, Zelda's getting delayed to 2017?

Actually, I suspect NX comes out next Fall, and Zelda's going to be its launch title. Really, what about that pathetic Nintendo Direct Nintendo just did would make you think the Wii U has ANY software releasing next year besides Fire Emblem x SMT? The sales certainly don't give me a reason to think it will, nor Nintendo's focus on 3DS over Wii U. Given Nintendo's pitiful Wii U support lately, there's no way that system lasts another year without a replacement. I think NX gets formerly announced at E3 2016 and then comes out that November.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »
So, what Bethesda is saying...Reggie doesn't do anything to seduce third parties?

I can see that. And I imagine it isn't all about money hats. Simply talking to third parties could be beneficial. As fr as NOA is concerned it is simply marketing things that come from Japan. These aren't the Peter Main, Howard Lincoln and Arakawa days. Those guys were the next closest things to entrepreneurs. They were building something new.

It seems as though the way Nintendo operates is: You show interest in us, if not we will show no interest in you.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 01:55:50 AM »
Actually, I suspect NX comes out next Fall, and Zelda's going to be its launch title. Really, what about that pathetic Nintendo Direct Nintendo just did would make you think the Wii U has ANY software releasing next year besides Fire Emblem x SMT? The sales certainly don't give me a reason to think it will, nor Nintendo's focus on 3DS over Wii U. Given Nintendo's pitiful Wii U support lately, there's no way that system lasts another year without a replacement. I think NX gets formerly announced at E3 2016 and then comes out that November.

The Wii U had a much stronger lineup then the 3DS at this E3.  Not really sure where people keep getting the idea the 3DS is being supported more when most of it's games shown were either low budget sequels running off existing engines or already released Japanese games that are just being localized later.  Combined with the fact last years E3 wasn't that impressive for the 3DS either, the signs point much stronger to them gearing up more for the NX being a new handheld next year then home console.

Once again, with mobile devices eating away at the traditional handheld market all around the world and especially in Japan, there's no way Nintendo is going to focus on a new home console that could eat away resources they'll need to make sure the next handheld is a success.  This is like how back during the Wii era people were so sure the successor would be released in 2011, even though most of their major home console devs releasing games in 2009 and 2010 showed it'd be impossible to do that.  The same things is happening right now where most of Nintendo's home console teams have been releasing Wii U games in 2014 and 2015. 

The only way the NX can be a home console is if it's like the Wii where it's just a Wii U with more RAM put in it to allow for easier development since the teams can just reuse their Wii U engines with some minor upgrades and we all know how happy that will make some of you. ::)   Anyone expecting the NX to be a home console that can rival the PS4/One in power and still be released in Fall 2016 is just setting themselves up for disappointment.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 04:05:35 AM »

The Wii U had a much stronger lineup then the 3DS at this E3.  Not really sure where people keep getting the idea the 3DS is being supported more when most of it's games shown were either low budget sequels running off existing engines or already released Japanese games that are just being localized later.  Combined with the fact last years E3 wasn't that impressive for the 3DS either, the signs point much stronger to them gearing up more for the NX being a new handheld next year then home console.

Once again, with mobile devices eating away at the traditional handheld market all around the world and especially in Japan, there's no way Nintendo is going to focus on a new home console that could eat away resources they'll need to make sure the next handheld is a success.  This is like how back during the Wii era people were so sure the successor would be released in 2011, even though most of their major home console devs releasing games in 2009 and 2010 showed it'd be impossible to do that.  The same things is happening right now where most of Nintendo's home console teams have been releasing Wii U games in 2014 and 2015. 

The only way the NX can be a home console is if it's like the Wii where it's just a Wii U with more RAM put in it to allow for easier development since the teams can just reuse their Wii U engines with some minor upgrades and we all know how happy that will make some of you. ::)   Anyone expecting the NX to be a home console that can rival the PS4/One in power and still be released in Fall 2016 is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

this all rings true to my expectations. Anyone thinking Nintendo will have a new console out by 2016 are not being pessimistic in the right way. They probably wont have a new console out till 2017, there will probably be a total game drought in 2016 to mid 2017. The next console will probably only be marginally more powerful than a ps4.

the only optimism i can throw in, is they might have their **** together with their own game production and third party support by 2017. maybe.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 06:44:19 AM »
Then we've shown the Metroid franchise the exact same amount of respect that Nintendo has.
Not at all the point I was making, but sure
the signs point much stronger to them gearing up more for the NX being a new handheld next year then home console.
While not definitive proof:
Quote from: Reggie Fils-Aime
"We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later."
Quote from: Kensuke Tanabe
“If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo’s NX console. It’s a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side.â€
That's two people in separate interviews during the same week who seemed to slip up and call NX Nintendo's next home console.

In any case, it doesn't make sense to make the next Metroid Prime on Wii U. Whatever NX is benefits far more from having a a brand new solo Metroid adventure on it sooner rather than later.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:21 AM »
This is one of those instances where it's to my benefit that I haven't played any of the Metroid Prime games.  Means I have time to pick up the trilogy and give it a Run on Wii U before they end up announcing  a new one.

I feed back for the Metroid fans who have been chomping at the bit for a new one though.  I feel the same way as someone whose begging to blow $60 on a new F-Zero game.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 09:38:32 AM »
The Wii U had a much stronger lineup then the 3DS at this E3.  Not really sure where people keep getting the idea the 3DS is being supported more when most of it's games shown were either low budget sequels running off existing engines or already released Japanese games that are just being localized later.

Well, let me put it this way: The Wii U only had 2 new games revealed in the Direct (Star Fox was announced last year), and both of them are shovelware. Everything else the Wii U has this year are titles that were greenlit years ago and delayed till this Fall because Nintendo can't get an HD game out the door to save their lives. Even Zelda is a title that we've known about for years. Nintendo announce ZERO major new projects for Wii U in that last Direct. By contrast, 3DS is at least still getting worthwhile new titles announced for next years, even if they are lower budget.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
Would you like to make a friendly wager?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
The NX, which as Adrock has pointed out has been more or less "outed" as a console, should be out in 2016 but probably won't be out until 2017.  It should in the sense that the plan to replace the Wii U should have started pretty damn early and I figure Nintendo took a while to admit the problem.  They're slow so I expect 2017 and, yes, I expect jack **** for the Wii U in that time and then Nintendo will wonder why no one gives a **** about their new console when they've disappeared for two years.

Perm suggested that consoles are peaking.  That's what we all hoped this time, that the need for the PS4 and XB1 wasn't there and those consoles would flop.  Well that didn't.  It all seemed at the time like we could make due with that level of graphics but things changed and we saw we could do better.  If Nintendo is relying on graphics to peak that's a big risk.

No Metroid and likely no Zelda.  Anyone else see the Saturn parallel when Sega didn't even get a real Sonic game out for it?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
Perm suggested that consoles are peaking.  That's what we all hoped this time, that the need for the PS4 and XB1 wasn't there and those consoles would flop.  Well that didn't.
Well, the Xbox One, in spite of all the advantages it has, is barely outpacing the Wii U.
I wouldn't call the PS4 a flop by any means, but it sure ain't burning up any records.

"Peaking" might be a pretty good way to describe it.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
Perm suggested that consoles are peaking.  That's what we all hoped this time, that the need for the PS4 and XB1 wasn't there and those consoles would flop.  Well that didn't.
Well, the Xbox One, in spite of all the advantages it has, is barely outpacing the Wii U.
I wouldn't call the PS4 a flop by any means, but it sure ain't burning up any records.

The PS4's sold over 21 million units in less than 2 years. I'm pretty sure that's "burning up some records." Both consoles are outpacing their predecessors. I have my concerns about these consoles going forward since both have definitely had issues getting software out the door, but let's not pretend that there hasn't been an impressive showing thus far. Hell, if Nintendo hadn't cheaped-out with the Wii U, maybe their latest console wouldn't be 2nd only to the Virtual Boy as the biggest failure in the company's history.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
The PS4's sold over 21 million units in less than 2 years. I'm pretty sure that's "burning up some records."

Someone with better memory or faster reasearch skills can correct me (or give a more exact number), but didn't the top selling system from the last generation sell something like 40 million units in two years?  How is selling half-that burning up any kind of records?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
didn't the top selling system from the last generation sell something like 40 million units in two years?  How is selling half-that burning up any kind of records?
Something something casuals something.

You know better by now, UncleBewb.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2015, 01:53:43 AM »

The Wii U was made obsolete a year after it came out by those other consoles.  It's best chance was that the market would reject the other new consoles, so the status quo would remain PS3, X360, Wii U which gave the Wii U a fighting chance.  Didn't happen.  So the NX has to not just compare well to the PS4 and XB1 but it also has to compare well to any hypothetical successors that would come out prior to the NX successor.  If Nintendo is going to be trapped in between generations like this they have to try to future proof their console.  So they can't assume that the market is going to be content with what we have now forever.  Maybe this generation can go long enough that Nintendo can "join" part way in and then go to the next gen with everyone else and still get a good length life out of the NX.  But they can't assume that or they'll just get lapped by the competition again or they'll have to kill the NX off prematurely which they really can't do.

Bringing up the Wii's success in 2015 is about as useful as bringing up the NES's success.  Doesn't help Nintendo's bottom line, doesn't sell the current product, has no meaningful impact on Nintendo's future.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:05 AM »
I like video games.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
The Wii U was made obsolete a year after it came out by those other consoles.
And yet, the superior XBox One is barely outpacing the Wii U.. what does that say?

Bringing up the Wii's success in 2015 is about as useful as bringing up the NES's success.  Doesn't help Nintendo's bottom line, doesn't sell the current product, has no meaningful impact on Nintendo's future.

I did not bring up the Wii's success.  I brought up historical sales figures for comparison to the claim that the PS4's 20-some million units in two years is some kind of evidence that the home console market is alive and well - which is weird when it's half of what the market leader did just one generation ago.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:39:16 PM by UncleBob »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
Software sales are also not looking good, despite healthy PS4 sales. We're past the point where it can just be blamed on "well of course sales look bad compared to when GTAV was released". There's also a really anemic release schedule all around with a really homogenized design baseline. Things ain't looking too healthy to me. I'll admit to a smidgen of schadenfreude here, but in actuality it's really not good for Nintendo's prospects when the whole traditional sector seems to be contracting. 

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »
And yet, the superior XBox One is barely outpacing the Wii U.. what does that say?

That Microsoft's initial anti-consumer plans pissed people off and that forcing a Kinect purchase didn't fly.  Plus MS has ZERO presence in Japan which skewers the figures if you look at it from a worldwide perspective.  How is the Xbox One doing in America and Europe compared to the Wii U?

Though I still don't see the relevance.  So consoles aren't doing as well in general this gen as they were last gen.  So what?  How does that help Nintendo next gen?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 04:04:26 PM »

That Microsoft's initial anti-consumer plans pissed people off and that forcing a Kinect purchase didn't fly.  Plus MS has ZERO presence in Japan which skewers the figures if you look at it from a worldwide perspective.  How is the Xbox One doing in America and Europe compared to the Wii U?

Though I still don't see the relevance.  So consoles aren't doing as well in general this gen as they were last gen.  So what?  How does that help Nintendo next gen?

It could help Nintendo next gen because if customer didn't buy a console they might want to buy a new one. The price most people are willing to buy a console for is $250. Wii sold at that price and sold well. Wii U was $350 and is now $299. Ps4 is the best selling console at $399. Its only $100 more expensive than Wii U. If Wii u were to get competitive with its price than it might start selling. 3rd party support will not come back though.

What Nintendo should do is release a version of the console without the wii u gamepad for $150 cheaper. and then do something like this.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »

I can't help but think we're having two different conversations.

Console sales have peaked.  There's little demand for them world-wide.  Wii U sales are in the tank.  XBoxOne sales aren't much better (regardless of how you crutch them).  PS4 sales aren't bad, but they're nothing to get excited over.  All three systems combined probably don't even meet the sales of the market leader by this time last gen (MS and Nintendo are about 10 Million units each while Sony is around 20 - meanwhile, Wii sold like 40 million plus units in two years).

The console market *is* dying.  At the very least, it's in hibernation.  Did it peak last-generation and we'll never see sales like that again?  I dunno.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2015, 05:37:42 PM »

I can't help but think we're having two different conversations.

Console sales have peaked.  There's little demand for them world-wide.  Wii U sales are in the tank.  XBoxOne sales aren't much better (regardless of how you crutch them).  PS4 sales aren't bad, but they're nothing to get excited over.  All three systems combined probably don't even meet the sales of the market leader by this time last gen (MS and Nintendo are about 10 Million units each while Sony is around 20 - meanwhile, Wii sold like 40 million plus units in two years).

The console market *is* dying.  At the very least, it's in hibernation.  Did it peak last-generation and we'll never see sales like that again?  I dunno.

I think it's a little unfair to compare the Wii to the PS4. Beyond the fact that one launched at $250 while the other launched at $400, they set out do different things, and the Wii appealed to people who wouldn't traditionally call themselves gamers. Maybe if another wide-appeal console with a "revolutionary" (for lack of a better word) hook hit the market, we would see Wii-level sales again. None of the current gen consoles can claim to be that, so it's hard to say whether the numbers inferior to the Wii are due to a dying market or just because none of the current gen consoles have the perfect set of attributes for wide appeal that the Wii did.

Last I heard, the PS4 and the Xbox One were selling at a greater pace than their own last gen counterparts, which is a more apt comparison imo. Maybe console gaming is dying in some places, or in some form, but I think a blanket statement like "console gaming is dying" is oversimplifying things a bit.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 06:18:27 PM »
I still have friends who are wanting to buy a Wii Mini despite implicit instructions on how its a waste of money. They're also the type who still want a ps3. I can get behind getting the ps3 more than a wii mini, but for not that much more you can buy a ps4. To me a big purchase is a big purchase.