Author Topic: Fire Emblem Fates to Release in Two Versions in North America  (Read 9670 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Fates to Release in Two Versions in North America
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »
Gamers are great at voting with their wallets.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »

Nope, but why should they?  There is no clear message sent about why they don't want a game in that case (or why they bought despite questions/concerns).

But I don't know what else to call it.  I don't buy games that don't appeal to me, whether that's because of gameplay or graphics or story... or even delivery method. End of story.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »

I think DLC and microtransactions have taught publishers that they just have to make something we MOSTLY like.  As long as we generally still have a good time we'll put up with a lot of bullshit.  It's not good that they know this but it applies to a lot of things in life.  For example would you go without owning a car because there wasn't a model available that perfectly fit your needs?  No, you'll put up with compromises.  You'll vote for the lesser of two evils in an election, put up with crappy service if the alternative is going without any service at all, pay a little more if a price goes up.

You like Fire Emblem, right?  Can you go without it or is this worth getting jerked around a bit on because the resulting game will probably still be quite fun?  That's what Nintendo is thinking.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
Questions I have about this game:
* there is a choice that determines which path you follow; is that choice only open in the downloadable version, since it appears the two different retail versions have your choice already locked in unless you buy the DLC? And how does the downloadable version keep track of your choice - if you delete the game and redownload can you just go the other way?
* no matter which path you choose, there is a third option that is only available as DLC. So do people who want to go retail need to buy 2 retail copies of the game and then download the extra DLC content at least once to get access to everything? Or can they buy one copy of the game, get the other campaign as a DLC unlock, and then the bonus campaign as another piece of DLC?
* apparently Japan is getting a special edition retail release that has all three campaigns on one card. Will this come to North America?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
For the digital version you play till chapter 6 at which point
you will choose which side you want to be on. After that point I assume it downloads a key which locks you out of the other side stopping you from deleting it and starting again. The other side will be available at give or take 2/5 the price of the base, same for the third side but that will not be available until it has finished development. The same also applies for the physical version so you can download the discounted paths as if you got it digitally. The special edition comes with an artbook, trading cards, access to both sides and a download code for the 3rd when it comes out costing 9/5 the price of the main game. So the special edition is a good deal if you intend to buy everything.

Conclusion
Physical + Digital = 5/5 + 2/5 + 2/5
Physical x 2 + Digital = 5/5 + 5/5 + 2/5
Digital = 5/5 + 2/5 + 2/5
Special = 9/5 + Artbook and cards.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »
... After that point I assume it downloads a key which locks you out of the other side stopping you from deleting it and starting again. ...

For people asking why some are upset, this (if accurate) is it.

The retail game will all be there when you buy, but players are artificially limited in what can be accessed unless buying DLC content.  It's not about cost or amount of content provided, but how they are forcing DLC into a medium where it doesn't really belong or make sense.  (I also hate games that don't allow you to delete saved data in general, and tend not to buy them - Resident Evil: Mercenaries on 3DS comes to mind although it certainly isn't the only offender.)

If you don't care about the lines between physical and digital then this probably doesn't matter... or at least matters less.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
If the special edition is brought over, I'd probably buy it. I don't even really like Fire Emblem, but that would be one hell of a collector's item.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Oh you can delete your profile, they have even talked about how they upped the number of files to 9 and will let you save to the sd card rather than the cartridge now that the story isn't as linear. But after a chapter 6 I suppose it puts something onto your account that stops you from finishing the game, deleting it, and then redownloading it to play the other side.