Author Topic: Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (Switch) Review  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (Switch) Review
« on: July 02, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »

WHOA, have times changed.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/47650/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-switch-review

Crash Bandicoot and Nintendo aren’t strangers to one another. But the original trilogy of games have never appeared on any Nintendo console -- until now. Activision, along with Switch developer Toys for Bob have resurrected the three original PlayStation titles and have melded them into one HD collection These games are extremely faithful to their predecessors, which is both a good and bad thing.

The collection has HD remakes of the original Crash Bandicoot. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex’s Revenge and Crash Bandicoot: Warped. The first two games focus a lot on trial-and-error platforming. I can tell you this right now: you will die repeatedly, so stock up on lives. Warped offers a bit more variety in the gameplay department and is the most polished out of the three titles. All of them came out pretty early in the era of 3D platforming, and it shows in terms of gameplay.

I have to say, playing through these games were a nice throwback to the 1990s. But those feelings come at a price. 1996 was 22 years ago, and controls for platforming titles have improved dramatically since its infancy. I can forgive these games for their ultra finicky controls and annoying depth perception issues. But it does make me pretty glad later platformers fixed the issues that these games have.

As for the Switch port of this collection, I am happy to say, the games run really well. The HD upgrade is nicely crafted, with each level looking detailed and vibrant in color. It also looks and runs great, both in portable and TV mode. I was worried that there may be slowdown or frame rate issues since this title is being ported from a more powerful console. But everything runs extremely smoothly, making this the perfect port if you’re looking for something on the go.

Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy is a fun collection of titles filled with nostalgia value, presented in a wonderful looking HD package. It runs well and overall is a perfectly competent platformer. If you can forgive that some aspects of these games haven’t aged well in the last 20 years, then this can be a pretty fun throwback experience.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (Switch) Review
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »
I played the collection on PS4, and while the remake is visually lovely, I found the level design just absolutely cruel. Just couldn't get into it, though supposedly it got better by the 3rd game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 03:25:51 PM »
Crash always looked boring to me as a kid. Never liked his design or the way the environments looked in the first game. Still I think it's time to give these games a chance and see why they seem to be so beloved.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn