Author Topic: Nintendo Announces New 2DS XL  (Read 7262 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Announces New 2DS XL
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
I would argue Nintendo will get more money from people buying this and the copious amounts of 3DS software available than a one-time purchase of the NES Classic.
I would argue there are more people left who want an NES Classic Edition than people who don't already own a 3DS and would specifically purchase New 2DS XL and copious amounts of new software.

There are also multiple similarly-priced competitors for playing 3DS games available on the market right now, where NES Classic has no (legal and legitimate) competition.

I like the 2DS XL design, but find the pricing borderline ludicrous. There is no moderately priced entry into the product line outside of the (clearly marketed at children) original 2DS console, and as someone who need to replace his handheld before playing again I find that hugely disappointing.

In Canada you can pay $110 for a 2DS with game included, $200 for a New 2DS XL, or $240 for New 3DS XL. Those are all of the options. The latter two don't come with chargers or games. Paying over $200 for a system that has been around since 2011 (yes, it's been improved since then... but how many games use those improvements?) is ludicrous.

Remember the Black Friday sale where they brought out a cheaper 3DS unit? I was so excited... of course, there was virtually no stock provided and I've never seen an in-stock non-XL unit since that date.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 04:37:42 PM »
I would argue Nintendo will get more money from people buying this and the copious amounts of 3DS software available than a one-time purchase of the NES Classic.
I would argue there are more people left who want an NES Classic Edition than people who don't already own a 3DS and would specifically purchase New 2DS XL and copious amounts of new software.

This. A week ago people found it inconceivable that Nintendo could produce NES Minis, SNES Minis and Switches at the same time. But now it's totally fine that Nintendo is producing SNES Minis, Switches and yet another 3DS variant all at the same time.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
Any inferences to be drawn on whether this could mean Stars or a Gen 4 remake? I need another 3DS for evolving Pokémon and transferring items. This may work nice, especially if I can bundle it with a game or two.

The Gen 4 remakes of Diamond Dust and Pearl Powder *will* happen for one simple reason:  money. 

Now will they be released for 3DS?  Switch?  Something else?  Good questions these.  My conjecture would be 3DS in October/November 2017 to coincide with Game Freak's near-annual release schedule.  Plus considering how long video games must be in development these days I am willing to bet Game Freak began developing Diamond Dust and Pearl Powder the day after ORAS were released (Nov 22, 2014).

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »

This. A week ago people found it inconceivable that Nintendo could produce NES Minis, SNES Minis and Switches at the same time. But now it's totally fine that Nintendo is producing SNES Minis, Switches and yet another 3DS variant all at the same time.

I'm interested to see if these "people" are the same "people" thinking it's "totally fine" and how many there are. The reason 3DS stock has been so limited is probably because of preparing for this new 2DS system and having good amounts on shelves. I also doubt a one time $60 purchase in the NES Classic would rival the one time $100-whatever purchase of the New 2DS XL and the extra money made from software. There is no "what else will people buy" with the NES Classic. It's a one time purchase with no extra means for revenue in software. Can't say the same about the New 2DS XL.

In a perfect world, Nintendo wouldn't be stupid and quit producing the NES Classic, but when has Nintendo ever been truly 100% competent?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
I almost feel like Nintendo are parodying themselves at this point.

I don't see why the regular NEW 3DS couldn't have filled in the $150 price point.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »
So they're calling it "XL", despite not having a regular New 2DS?
Maybe Nintendo hasn't announced it yet. I mean, this is the same company that just released a new 2DS model in 2017 nearly two months after launching hardware meant to replace it.

Or just accept that the fact that we live in a world that somehow struggles with the concept of small, medium, and large. Starbucks, for example, offers Short (English), Tall (English), Grande (Spanish), Venti Hot (Italian and English), Venti Cold (Italian and English), and Trenta (technically wrong Italian because "trenta" means "thirty" and the cup is 31 oz).
I'm pretty sure if they were going to do that they'd have announced it along side this. Plus, I do see their reasoning-- they want to highlight the fact it has extra-large screens as its selling point over the original 2DS, but still had to throw "New" in there to make sure folks are aware know it contains the New 3DS upgrades as well.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »

I'm not following your logic as not only were 3DSes/2DSes always going to still be manufactured along side the SNES minis and Switches anyhow. Also, I'm fairly certain the current 2DS is going to be discontinued for this, just the same way the NES Mini would be for the SNES Mini.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 09:15:40 PM »
I wonder if the NES Classic Mini would have even existed if Nintendo knew how high 3DS sales would be during the holidays.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 10:49:25 PM »
I almost feel like Nintendo are parodying themselves at this point.

I don't see why the regular NEW 3DS couldn't have filled in the $150 price point.

Nintendo probably sees better sales from the XL models. Plus, not needed the 3D makes it cheaper.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
Any inferences to be drawn on whether this could mean Stars or a Gen 4 remake? I need another 3DS for evolving Pokémon and transferring items. This may work nice, especially if I can bundle it with a game or two.

The Gen 4 remakes of Diamond Dust and Pearl Powder *will* happen for one simple reason:  money. 

Now will they be released for 3DS?  Switch?  Something else?  Good questions these.  My conjecture would be 3DS in October/November 2017 to coincide with Game Freak's near-annual release schedule.  Plus considering how long video games must be in development these days I am willing to bet Game Freak began developing Diamond Dust and Pearl Powder the day after ORAS were released (Nov 22, 2014).

Yes, I meant to include "on the 3DS family of systems"

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2017, 07:45:34 AM »
I'm less interested now that I've thought this through. I really like the design, but it probably won't work for my needs. I wanted a second 3DS for Pokémon, but it was also going to serve as back-up device (or more accurately, my current 3DS, which is showing signs of wear, would become the secondary device). I don't use the 3D much, but it is essential for a few games. If I get the 2DS, I'll still need to get another 3DS to stick in the back of my closet. Part of what I really like about the 3DS (and being almost all digital) is I can back up all my data and a back-up version of the console for posterity isn't cost prohibitive.