Author Topic: Splatoon (Wii U) Review  (Read 14534 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon (Wii U) Review In Progress
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
The whole reason people are interested in this game is because it's different. If Nintendo just made the same shooter everybody else is making, nobody would give a ****, especially if it was missing stuff like voice chat.

I think Wii U owners are pretty much interested in any game Nintendo makes for the Wii U because you either play this or go more months with nothing.  It would be hard for Nintendo to make a Wii U game at this point that no one would pay any attention to.

If the approach is "let's make a new game" and then they come up with this ink-squid idea it's a pretty cool idea.  I think the problem is this emphasis of it as an online third person shooter or like it's Nintendo's answer for that genre.  I don't know if Nintendo started that emphasis or fans and the media did.  I feel that looking at it from that point of view it is too different.  It's like how Metroid Prime being a first person game where you shoot things was seen as a FPS.  Nintendo made sure to promote it as a first person adventure, which probably fell on deaf ears for the most part but the idea was right.  If you saw Metroid Prime as a Halo-killer it failed in that role because it was such a different game than what it was being compared to.  Still an absolutely amazing game but not the Halo-killer people tried to make it out to be.  It's no different than when people call Pikmin an RTS which makes it sound like it's going to take down StarCraft.  No, it's a completely different game and if you were expecting it to fill your desire for an RTS it will not do so.

So really I feel like I'm one of those idiots that couldn't see Metroid Prime as anything but an FPS who then got all pissy because it didn't play like Halo.  Splatoon really is its own thing.  If Nintendo has been promoting it as their Gears of War then that's the problem because this isn't that and if you wanted to see Nintendo tackle something like that you're still going to be waiting.  Did Nintendo hype this up as such or was it us?  If Nintendo was doing it, that was the mistake.  If I look at it with those sorts of expectations this doesn't even come close but just as some new game Nintendo is busting out that really is its own unique thing then it works.

It's been promoted as a squad-based online shooter, which it is. It's Gears of War in the same way Pikmin is Starcraft. At this point I figure you have to just be looking for reasons to be upset with Nintendo if you can find fault with them coming up with a new IP that's a unique take on a genre they haven't explored in the past.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »
I don't have a problem with Nintendo creating their own spin on the genre. It worked out fantastically with Smash Bros., so the more the merrier. My issue with this game since they announced the launch details is that this release is a joke. If ANY other company had released a multiplayer-centric shooter like this with this many missing features; maps; & modes, people would riot.

Really, can you imagine a Call of Duty release where all you get in the box is the SP campaign & the MP Team Deathmatch mode on 5 maps (with King of the Hill unlocked when you prestige)? Zombies mode? The ability to form teams with your friends? More maps? Capture the Flag mode? You get those features you've come to expect from multiplayer-centric shooters months later. There would be riots in the streets, and reviews would be so scathing of the spectacular lack of content it would break Metacritic. But hey, this is Nintendo, who we apparently must always treat with Kid Gloves like it's ****ing Elementary School, where everyone gets a trophy just for showing up because heaven forbid we have expectations on something they made actually stacking up against their competitors!  Because hey...MAKING GAMES IS HARD!  ::)

Part of me still wants to buy this game for the SP portion, pretty much because Sony delayed the much more desirable Ratchet & Clank reboot to next year, but what Nintendo's providing at launch is pathetic and it's unbelievable how much people are letting them slide over that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 06:38:33 PM »
You know, it just occurred to me what Splatoon is: it's Activision's Destiny all over again.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »
Video review is now embedded in the article.
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »
I don't have a problem with Nintendo creating their own spin on the genre. It worked out fantastically with Smash Bros., so the more the merrier. My issue with this game since they announced the launch details is that this release is a joke. If ANY other company had released a multiplayer-centric shooter like this with this many missing features; maps; & modes, people would riot.

Really, can you imagine a Call of Duty release where all you get in the box is the SP campaign & the MP Team Deathmatch mode on 5 maps (with King of the Hill unlocked when you prestige)? Zombies mode? The ability to form teams with your friends? More maps? Capture the Flag mode? You get those features you've come to expect from multiplayer-centric shooters months later. There would be riots in the streets, and reviews would be so scathing of the spectacular lack of content it would break Metacritic. But hey, this is Nintendo, who we apparently must always treat with Kid Gloves like it's ****ing Elementary School, where everyone gets a trophy just for showing up because heaven forbid we have expectations on something they made actually stacking up against their competitors!  Because hey...MAKING GAMES IS HARD!  ::)

Part of me still wants to buy this game for the SP portion, pretty much because Sony delayed the much more desirable Ratchet & Clank reboot to next year, but what Nintendo's providing at launch is pathetic and it's unbelievable how much people are letting them slide over that.

I'm guessing you just left the cave you've been in the last month because Nintendo has gotten criticized for the lack of those features.

The game is currently at 81% on Gamerankings
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/805617-splatoon/index.html

And 81% on Metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/splatoon

The number one complaint is exactly what you say people don't seem to care about. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:10 PM »
At this point I figure you have to just be looking for reasons to be upset with Nintendo if you can find fault with them coming up with a new IP that's a unique take on a genre they haven't explored in the past.

I think the written nature of a forum makes me look more negative than I am.  This is a "eh, this doesn't really interest me that much" vs. a "this boneheaded decision is going to tornedo the console".  There are different degrees of criticism.

I don't recall Nintendo making Pikmin vs. StarCraft comparisons and that's good because that really isn't fair to Pikmin.  In that sense I feel that making direct comparisons between Splatoon and the overall online shooter genre does it a disservice.

But hey, this is Nintendo, who we apparently must always treat with Kid Gloves like it's ****ing Elementary School

That's funny because a lot of the time it feels like Nintendo treats us like we're in elementary school.  Nintendo was upfront about some of this stuff showing up late and honesty goes a long way in improving perception.  That doesn't excuse them but that sort of approach works pretty well.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »
Splatoon is an online shooter, though. Comparisons to those games are unavoidable. Unless you want Nintendo to pretend that those don't exist, and this is a completely new concept.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »
The game is currently at 81% on Gamerankings
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/805617-splatoon/index.html

And 81% on Metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/splatoon

The number one complaint is exactly what you say people don't seem to care about.

Suffice it to say that I find an 81 extraordinarily kind for an unfinished game released at full price w/ almost none of the expected features for this type of game.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 08:52:52 PM »
The game isn't unfinished just because they plan to add FREE content in 6 or 7 weeks. They will be expanding a finished game. Do you consider all games with DLC to be unfinished? Is The Witcher 3 unfinished because they pla to add DLC?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »
Dude, Splatoon is being released unfinished due to the features and content it's missing. Even the most ardent Nintendo fan would have a hard time defending this.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »
$60 for five maps and two modes with missing features is a bit steep IMO.  You might save face in Europe or Japan but in the NA market the game is retailing at full $60 day one. That's whole "free" DLC doesn't help much since it should already have been included like the ability to play with friends?  To be honest, I think Nintendo should have delayed the game or at least sell us what the game is currently worth--not something with "future" promises. 

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »
The game isn't unfinished just because they plan to add FREE content in 6 or 7 weeks. They will be expanding a finished game. Do you consider all games with DLC to be unfinished? Is The Witcher 3 unfinished because they pla to add DLC?

My god...where to even start with this idiotic comparison?

First off, Witcher 3 is a massive 25 -> 200 hour RPG full of probably 100 -> 200 sidequests and optional hunts, and every sidequest is specially crafted with cinematic camera work & voice acting. By contrast to its nearest competitors (Skyrim & Dragon Age Inquisition), there's just as muchcontent and (IMO, in regards to Skyrim) better content in Witcher 3. The game has some technical issues, but far less and far less game-breaking than something like Skyrim. And yes, CD Projeckt Red is only going to add more content with the DLC packs. No, Witcher 3 is not "unfinished" in the same way Splatoon is.

By comparison, Splatoon's feature set at launch is a joke. It's a multiplayer-centric online shooter that has barely any online multiplayer content in it. Its feature set is on-par with something like Dead Space 2, a single-player 3rd person shooter with a tacked-on MP mode. And I highly doubt Splatoon can hang with Dead Space 2 when it comes to its single-player mode, incidentally. And that's not "free DLC", btw. Those are the missing features and maps that should have been in the game at launch, but with your full priced purchase you're paying Nintendo to finish them so they can provided them to you at a later time.

Splatoon is the equivalent of last year's NHL 15 release, where EA released the game without most of the modes that were standard to the franchise and then "patched them in" over the next few months as "free DLC."

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 09:42:48 PM »
Is it bull that Nintendo is charging $60/$70 in North America for a game that clearly is missing some stuff that should be there at launch? Undoubtedly. That doesn't necessarily preclude what is there from being really good though.

I begrudgingly paid $70 for that very reason. I put off pre-ordering after the Direct because all of this stuff rubbed me the wrong way, but the fact of the matter is I found the game (even in its current state) to be a ton of fun. I'm not going to forgo enjoying the game in the name of principles. And that's what it probably came down to for the reviewers too. "Reviewing what's there" works both ways. You can dock points because it's missing stuff that should be there, but if what's actually there is still a good game, it deserves a good score.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 01:09:23 AM »
Servers held up pretty well to the opening barrage. I got one error message on the night, and that was after playing 8 or 10 matches without any issue. So far, so good.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »
Nintendo tends to not drop game prices very quickly, if at all, and in Splatoon's case that rep will help them out.  Most games tend to drop to pretty much half price within less than a year after release.  If you could expect Nintendo to do that as well you could just wait until the DLC shows up for Splatoon and buy it then instead of paying a higher price for LESS content.  Though because it's Nintendo the price likely won't drop.

You can dock points because it's missing stuff that should be there, but if what's actually there is still a good game, it deserves a good score.

I think price plays a factor.  Some games offer good content but not that much of it and are a good game but not worth $60.  I would want reviewers to point that out.  Reviews are supposed to be for the benefit of consumers.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
But then you're doing relative comparisons.  And price is always tricky to review on since prices can differ by region and some people are just more ballin' than others.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline kokumaker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon (Wii U) Review
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 10:04:22 PM »
I've barely been able to play it, because my daughter is totally addicted to it. She has shunned the single-player mode completely and only plays online. I've seen maybe two of her games get dropped in the last couple of days, but for the most part, the online has been seamless.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
Look everyone wants to talk about what determines if this game has enough features and modes. For me there's only 1 question. I bought the game at release will I, as a 30 year old guy, get $60 worth of fun out of this game. It's too early to tell for sure, but as of right now it looks like I probably will because I'm loving it and to top it off the shocker of all... My wife loves it and asks me to play the 2 player mode with her. How often can I say I played Nintendo/PlayStation with my wife? Right now I can

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
Glorious 9!

Neal is so kind to a game that has launched so bare bones :p

You know, it just occurred to me what Splatoon is: it's Activision's Destiny all over again.

Quite an apt comparison. Of course, Splatoon and Nintendo "benefits" from the lack of grandiose posturing and marketing. As well as Nintendo's peculiar relations with the enthusiast press where they are regarded simultaneously with derision and fondness.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2015, 10:59:39 PM »
Did anyone try this? I wanted to do it, but I must've done something wrong because in 4 tries it never worked

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2015, 11:38:22 PM »
I feel like the only reason this game is getting a lot of attention and high scores is because there's no other games for WiiU right now. There's really only a fun little 4 on 4 online multiplayer to this game, that's it. There's really no story or campaign. I feel like it's really a $30 retail game or a $20 download game at best, and if there were a bunch of other A+ games coming out and available. This game would get a 6/10. I feel like everyone has drank the kool-aid. When did this become the standard for a 9/10 game?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 12:39:29 AM »
There is a campaign and nobody owns only a Wii U....

I find it odd that the shout options are "come here" and "cool" in the German version whereas the former seems to be just "booyah" in the US version? Kinda changes the meaning...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 12:42:04 AM »
It's "To me!" and "Nice" in UK version.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 01:38:59 AM »
So far, I've plunked 40 hours into Splatoon over the past few weeks. I'm on my second trip through the campaign (partially because the review copy was a separate review build and my save data didn't carry over but I'm still enjoying the campaign a second time through). I'm not bored of multiplayer. I can't wait for my Amiibo 3-pack to arrive so I can mess with the new challenges.

I know folks will think that this game is barebones or that it was released half-finished. With the rollout plan for maps, that might be true. But even with 5 maps at launch and some wonky online things, Splatoon is fun as hell and it's not showing any signs of slowing down for me.

So, that's why I gave it a 9. A 9 was the best-case scenario if the servers ran fine. They run fine and this game rocks.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 08:11:25 AM »
I feel like the only reason this game is getting a lot of attention and high scores is because there's no other games for WiiU right now. There's really only a fun little 4 on 4 online multiplayer to this game, that's it. There's really no story or campaign. I feel like it's really a $30 retail game or a $20 download game at best, and if there were a bunch of other A+ games coming out and available. This game would get a 6/10. I feel like everyone has drank the kool-aid. When did this become the standard for a 9/10 game?

Sorry man, but Neal isn't an "inflate the score because it's a Nintendo game" kind of guy. Of you remember he gave Mario Kart 8 a 7.5, and got death threats for it, but refused to change it. I'm thinking if Neal is giving it a9 it's a legit 9 for him. If it had been someone like Daan Koopman I'd wonder if maybe he'd played so many bad games lately that it's just him being amazed with a game that's not terrible (if you don't know what I'm talking about go look at the last 10 games Daan has reviewed)