Author Topic: Twilight Princess HD: Now with 100% more Amiibo!  (Read 33605 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight Princess HD: Now with 100% more Amiibo!
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
Windwaker HD did have frame rate issues, try shooting the cannon for instance.
I didn't say it didn't. As stated in the post you quoted, Wind Waker HD came out in 2013. It was also released during a time when Nintendo needed something to release. In two and a half years, this couldn't have been improved?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

From everything I've read, Twilight Princess HD is a straight port which makes me wonder why this is a $60 even with that awesome Amiibo. I appreciate that the textures were redone, but Nintendo and Tantalus Interactive could have gone above and beyond to really make this rerelease special by tightening the game in places and cutting some of the fat (namely in that brutal tutorial at the beginning). I'm still keeping my pre-order, but it's at least a little disappointing. Nintendo did a really good job of making Wind Waker HD the definitive version of that game so it's a shame this didn't get the same treatment.

They did try to cut some of the fat.  You get more rupees at the beginning so you can buy everything and leave the village faster.  There's also only 12 insects you have to kill in each section instead of 16 so they did try to make some improvements.  They also give an item that helps you track Poe's now making that side quest less tedious as well.

Yes there's still pacing issues but that was always going to happen since the biggest problem is a lot of Twilight Princess padding is storyline and character event related making it a lot harder to truly change things.  When many involve cutscenes and important story information being told during them, cutting things becomes very tricky.  It's not like Wind Waker were it's biggest padding, the Triforce quest is much easier to edit like just lowering the amount of Rupees you pay Tingle and then putting the Triforce shards in chests now instead of the map leading to them.  In order to truly fix many of Twilight Princess fetchquests they'd have to pretty much remake certain sections of the game so the story would still work which Nintendo never does in Zelda ports/remasters.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
They did try to cut some of the fat.
Unless you get out of the village in less than 15 minutes for example, they should have tried harder.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
I STILL don't get the hate for the introduction to the game.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2016, 08:54:23 PM »
I STILL don't get the hate for the introduction to the game.
What's not to get? It's a chore. You don't have to agree and from the sounds of it, you don't which is perfectly fine, but what people don't like about it is pretty simple.

It takes forever to just get the first real sword, and everything before that isn't particularly fun. Round up some goats. Find a cat. Retrieval a cradle. Go fishing. And so on. None of that is optional. That's all world building stuff and character introductions, and I get what the developers are going for, but it's so tedious. It's teaching you to do things you have to do again later anyway for heart pieces and whatnot. Let me deal with it then if I want. Why bog the beginning of the game down with things that aren't even mandatory later? It's a lot of handholding in a game that isn't that complicated. It may have taken something like seven years, but Nintendo acknowledged how boring the tutorials are by letting go on your merry way in less than 10 minutes in A Link Between Worlds.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »
Yup, pretty much what Adrock just said...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
I guess I never found it tedious. I saw it as a charming way to show the simplicity of life in the village as opposed to the very different nature of the world beyond. Most of the activities aren't applicable to the rest of Hyrule because they have no place there- however, there's plenty of parallels to be found.

I can understand how it might not gel with someone, but to say it ruins the opening of the game, or even the game itself, is a silly claim. In my opinion. I guess I'll never get that.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2016, 01:52:41 AM »
When you advertise adventure and slashing things with a sword, it's understandable that people will want to get to that as soon as possible.

Sorta like with Xenoblade X and the Skell, though Zelda has it worse since they are easier games to grasp.

I never took too much issue with the slow starts of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. If anything, I enjoyed the quaint and mundane beginning moments. It always makes me feel that I'm a bit of an oddball to hear so many complaints on the slow and tutorialized starts of 3D Zelda games

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2016, 02:29:42 AM »
Fun story: I got Twilight Princess at launch with my Wii, proceeded to play it for 2 hours (pretty much just that intro), and then never touched it again.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline doubleobevin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2016, 06:09:44 AM »
Think the only thing I hate about this game, and Ocarina of time too for that matter, is the fishing..Oh my giddy aunt I could never get the hang of it. That cat had to wait ages for his fish!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »
Fun story: I got Twilight Princess at launch with my Wii, proceeded to play it for 2 hours (pretty much just that intro), and then never touched it again.

Must've have been too much excitement for you.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »
damn, I had forgotten about all that fishing crap and fetch quests at the start of the game. I am not sure if it is because of how much time since I played or if it didn't seem to bother me that much.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »
I wasn't nearly as bothered by the TP intro as I was the SS intro.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2016, 12:39:21 AM »
The first "guiding rod" mini game in the forest killed SS for me. I never returned to the game to this day. I really should go and complete it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
So, I did a live chat with Nintendo Customer Service and confirmed that the Soundtrack CD that was announced, BY REGGIE, as coming with pre-orders of the Twilight Princess HD Amiibo Bundle in North America, doesn't apply to ANY Canadian pre-orders. None. You can't get it in Canada no matter which retailer you order from.
I have expressed my displeasure with Nintendo for this. It has been duly noted, I assume. I encourage my other Canadian brothers and sisters (and those in solidarity with us) to similarly express their displeasure with this oversight for us poor Canadian souls.
Thanks for your time and attention.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
I wasn't nearly as bothered by the TP intro as I was the SS intro.
Or the rest of SS,

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
us poor Canadian souls.

Well that about sums it up.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
The first "guiding rod" mini game in the forest killed SS for me. I never returned to the game to this day. I really should go and complete it.
I think people treat the dowsing segments a bit unfairly, as they're really supposed to help you search for brief periods of time and not extended ones. You simply should not keep that thing open any longer than when you first hone in on the object you're seeking. Anyone who felt "forced" to keep dowsing mode open any longer is A) not really taking advantage of the rest of the movement features of the game and/or B) unaware that there might be enemies nearby.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
I liked the intro from a story standpoint, it made Link feel more like a person by showing a more average life before taking on the role of a hero. It could probably stand to be shorter though as it did drag on a bit, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I found the collection segments with the wolf more boring and tedious than the opening.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:59 PM »
The intro was overlong, yes, but the true annoyance for me were those kids (Malo and gang).  They were constantly talking and swooning and getting captured.  I really hated that Ilia (or whatever her name was) was such an integral part of the story.  I just couldn't get into it.

Overall, I loved Twilight Princess, especially the last half of the game with all the cool dungeons. I agree with most here, though, that there doesn't seem to be anything enticing that the HD remake adds for $60.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2016, 05:05:56 AM »
Jebus, seriously? It dips below 30 frames per second? Wind Waker HD ran at 30 frames per second, but the game came out in 2013.

This disappoints me a great deal. The one Zelda game I was really hoping for a re-release with decent controls is the one they cheap out on and ruin. I was expecting solid 30fps at the very minimum. I was optimistically hoping for a nice 60fps port. Evidently they haven't done that. To be honest I'd have rather had SD at 60fps and decent controls. Or even 720p textures etc.

How can they mess up a 10(?) year old game one far superior hardware so badly? Is this going to be another Arkham Knight?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
Tantalus was probably given a very short timeframe to get this port ready, which sucks because they've been proven to at least handle Wii U ports well. How many chances has a non-Japanese dev been given to port a Nintendo developed game?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
I think it's pretty clear that TP HD is a rush job.  The Zelda WiiU delay coupled with the scant release schedule and warm reception of WW HD made it a viable option.  This is probably why we're not seeing as many gameplay improvements.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »
How many chances has a non-Japanese dev been given to port a Nintendo developed game?
Are we counting Retro Studios and Monolith Software? If so, Monster Games' port of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Xenoblade Chronicles are the only ones I can think of.
I think it's pretty clear that TP HD is a rush job.
Nintendo and Tantalus Media still missed the window for when Twilight Princess HD should have been released. Wii U's holiday was brutal.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:56:30 AM by Adrock »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2016, 01:56:39 PM »
I liked the intro from a story standpoint, it made Link feel more like a person by showing a more average life before taking on the role of a hero. It could probably stand to be shorter though as it did drag on a bit, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I found the collection segments with the wolf more boring and tedious than the opening.
That and I also like that there are a bunch of hidden rupees that you can get to during the intro by poking around a bit with cusco gliding and the bird grass.