Author Topic: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Wii U VC) Review Mini  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Wii U VC) Review Mini
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »

Now you can actually see the game without a Worm Light.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewmini/38742/castlevania-circle-of-the-moon-wii-u-vc-review-mini

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was the Game Boy Advance’s most ambitious launch game. It was also virtually unplayable on the original GBA, but by no fault of its own. The game’s dark color palette and small (but detailed) sprites paired with the system’s lack of a backlight meant that, even in an ideal lighting situation, players were left straining their eyes at this otherwise beautiful game. While the GBA SP and the Game Boy Player did make the game more playable back in the day, the Wii U Virtual Console version brings it to modern day.  Circle of the Moon has the distinction of being the second post-Symphony game in the series, but did not involve series stalwart Koji Igarashi. Despite that, it is arguably better than the Igarashi-produced Harmony of Dissonance. The environments are interesting and well-rendered, and character sprites are lovingly crafted. This is a slower-moving Castlevania game than most, but the large map is very Metroidvania in design—hero Nathan Graves can travel around the castle at will, though he’ll need equipment won from boss fights to really get around.

There is a clear focus on finding HP, MP, and Heart upgrades. They are literally everywhere, though most require some degree of backtracking. Enemies drop a variety of loot, including better armor and “Duel Set-up System” cards—this game’s magic system. The cards are split into two sets, and equipping a card from each one gives Nathan a shield, elemental attack, summon, buff, etc. Half the fun of this game is finding new card combinations and figuring out their effects (there’s no shame in consulting a FAQ).

The game does not actually look great on your TV, even with pixel smoothing. It’s much more enjoyable on the GamePad with some headphones. Save states are nice, especially when you’re about to be confronted by the game’s most irritating boss (Zombie Dragons).

Overall, this is a fairly standard Metroidvania game. It’s gorgeous, but the music is understated and largely forgettable. Some areas go on too long, and the castle’s warp points are unevenly distributed. Circle of the Moon features an interesting reward system—beating the game unlocks a new game type where your stats are remixed and you have all the magic cards. Beat it under those conditions to unlock another new game type...and so on. There are five unique remixes, and the last one is purely for masochists.

I’ve always liked Circle. It’s not the best post-Symphony Castlevania by any means, but it’s definitely one that every lover of the Metroid-style design should play.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Wii U VC) Review Mini
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »
Music is largely forgetable?!? if anything it's a soundtrack that lacks identity because it's all cherry picked from various entries in the series! I think there's all of 3 or 4 completley original pieces of the game, and everything else is remixes...! I accociate pieces like "The Sinking old Sanctuary", "Clockwork Mansion", "Big Battle" and "Aquarius" with Circle of the moon! Hell, the first time I ever heard "Vampire Killer" was in Circle of the Moon, and it's very different take on the piece has stuck with me throughout the years...!

Also, if you intend to get this game, there's a really hilarious and fun game breaking bug that is worth mentioning. The DSS Cards were not properly programmed, and there is a fun exploit I shall put the exploit behind spoiler text for those who don't want to know how to do it.

Once you have one Beast and one God card (I'd suggest Salamander from the Bomb Skeletons and Mercury from the Bone Pillars.) you need only select the cards you have, hit the DSS activation button, and while the animation is playing go into the pause menu and select card slots you don't have yet, and you'll activate the selected card's effects before having acquired them. This makes the Mage mode you unlock for beating the game the first time useless, pretty much.

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Wii U VC) Review Mini
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »
I never owned a GBA, but judging from the games I've played on the WiiU VC, the sound chip of the GBA must have been mediocre compared to the SNES....and I remember that the big catch of the GBA was that it supposed to be a SNES in your pocket!