Author Topic: Episode 395: Freaking CEOs  (Read 6853 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 395: Freaking CEOs
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »

Hear our early reactions to the funding success, plus lots of discussion about Nintendo games, Sega games, classic games, Japanese indie games, and massively multiplayer online role-playing games.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/38296/episode-395-freaking-ceos

Last week we announced the RFN 400 campaign, and this week we're already celebrating its success. This show opens with a few minutes of basking in the generosity of our listeners, as well as more info about what happens next. Then, we get an unusual start to New Business with a conversation that starts as Guillaume's wrap-up thoughts on the book Console Wars. That quickly evolves into our own angles on how Sega performed in the 90s, leading to several minutes of what Jonny calls "Radio Free Sega".

Gui brings it back to Nintendo with his long-awaited (and surprising!) impressions of Rayman Legends on Wii U. The next topic comes from Jon, and that's Cybernator (SNES) on Virtual Console. This one may not be a classic, but it's a rather interesting example of that generation's mech sidescroller fad. That provides a lovely segue to James, who's got the modern equivalent in Armored Hunter GUNHOUND EX and also checks out flashy, zany new shoot-em-up Astebreed, both from the lesser known Japanese indie scene. New Business finally concludes with Jonny's further exploration of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, plus his first real exposure to the MMORPG thing with an outsider's perspective on the first several hours of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

The remainder of the show is Listener Mail, and the two selections for this week include a look back at Link Between Worlds, how to control (or at least live with) your game backlog, and what bizarre franchise crossover is coming next. Please keep the great emails coming, and start getting excited for an awesome Episode 400!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 395: Freaking CEOs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »
James was thinking of Touhou Project. [not to be confused with the Kaiju movie company] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project

I'm honestly not that familiar with the games myself because I like being able to move around the screen when I play Shmups, but the music from the games is pretty great stuff, and I like some of the fan made spinoff titles like the Rockman Clone, Megamari [Starring Marisa, who if I am to understand correctly is sort of the Anti Hero secondary protagonist to the series who was originally a kooky villan ala' Wario].

It's kinda fun listening to Johnny talk about Final Fantasy 14. I took a pass myself on both versions although I have friends playing. I tossed 8 years of my life away at FF11, and more than any other video game, I blame FF11 for the direction my life has taken. I don't want that experience ever again. No love of Final Fantasy can save that. That being said, I have REALLY fond memories. it's a tough call, honestly.

Johnny has now provided James with the oppertunity to say "Bite my shiny metal ass!"

As for my backlog, I... I dunno, I don't like having unbeaten games laying around or games that I haven't at least dug in. Usually, it's not the case and I try to finish the games I choose to own, but I do have something that has thwarted me in Steam. Although being a broke freelance graphic designer is a dang good deterrent to the steam summer sale, but I have people that gift me stuff all the darned time, and half of my steam library isn't even installed. X___X

I've also started amassing a bunch of NES games that I haven't really played outside of a test play because it's kinda a pain to get everything hooked up. in the last month I've aquired Legendary Wings, Karnov, and Little Nemo The Dream Master, and put all of 5 minutes into the each of 'em.

I actually am finally getting around to the last game I got around my birthday right now. I got one hell of a set of games for my birthday, and just... wooh. When Super Mario 3D World is the weakest game of this group, that's gotta say something. On March the 27th, 2014, I recieved Super Mario 3D World,  Link Between Worlds, Dark Souls, Retro Game Challenge, and I'm now playing Radiant Historia. Then again, I sat there and played Dark souls for about 3 months. that game clicked with my gaming tastes SO much.

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:39:12 PM »
I still think Legends is better 2D platformer, solo, or more enjoyable than NSMBU. Yeah the "overworld" is lame, but that's not the main core of the game. Once I got used to the controls I feel they have way more precision than NSMBU, cause Mario has a slight slide that ruin the controls for me, albeit the overworld looks nice.

So I take Guillaume's comments with a grain of salt. I have not played the co-op, but as a solo game....it's awesome, also I like the records interface so I can compete with friends and the world.

I really like the "invaded" levels, it forces me to memorize and time button mashing almost to perfection. I got all the Teensies on that game. And got a couple of gold cups on the online challenges.

Nice animations, nice music, challenging. Not perfect but at least 8/10

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »
Cybernator's 2d mechanics are cool and I love the game...but the flying missions are very and artificially difficult, and lower the overall rate for this game to me...Being one of those technical ppl u guys take about I would give it at least a 70/100...

Oh and the bonus you get after the early trick that earns you the Napalm gun really saves the day, is such a nice and powerful weapon to have.

And as Guillaume says, save states really help a lot.

p.s.: BTW not that many ppl knows this Cybernator trick, probably cause the game was never that popular:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlg8q76kA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
I don't understand overworld complaint at all. It's nothing to me, less than nothing. Can i select levels? Yes? Then, it's okay.

The big problem with Legends isn't mission select which works (and that's the only thing it needs to do) but the unbelievable rehashing they did by including half of the previous game in.

And co-op is definitely broken, NSMB games are meticulously designed with both single and multplayer in mind, but Rayman very clearly isn't. Slapping gimmick that they did for laughs, only proves how little thought they put into multiplayer actually working.

Jumping physics. Yes, you only have two jumps if you just stand and press or tap jump button. BUT. The physics get extremely wonky when you start moving, because then you'll have momentum changing the height of the jump and the distance.

There is a crazy trick when you just jump with a very specific timing you will run twice as fast as regular run. It doesn't make sense -- you just have to learn the right rhythm of this jumps if you want to be competitive at online challenges.

And the artstyle doesn't help at all, because it's all very plant-like, squiggly looking -- there are no square angles and sometimes you lunge down and fall down through a thing that you expected to be a solid platform. Nope, it was just a random background/foreground sprout.

I still liked Legends, but it doesn't have the impact of Origins.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
I don't understand overworld complaint at all. It's nothing to me, less than nothing. Can i select levels? Yes? Then, it's okay.

I think it's a matter of aesthetic.  Functionally, such a basic level select screen is fine, but having level selection integrated into a world map or something like Peach's castle in Mario 64 can turn something that's generally mundane into an experience that's more like exploring something new, and makes it feel fresh or grandiose.

On another topic, I think we all know why RFN is meeting up in Colorado to do RFN 400. 

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:03 AM »
It's where I live. Actually, I priced out flights for each of us to meet up in each of the four home city, and mine was tied for lowest total airfares with James's city. Since my area is more of a destination in general, i.e. a lot of people would like to visit Colorado some day for various reasons, I volunteered to host. Also, I know that my apartment is large enough to host us comfortably, so I felt this choice would also let us avoid hotel costs. Finally, having done a Crosstawk "Cross-Con" here last year, I knew that a weekend in my city would probably be agreeable for all involved, myself included. It's just an awesome place to be with friends.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
Gunhound gets a whole lot easier if you abuse the auto-punch which will stop almost all projectiles fired at you. It doesn't work if you have the "anti-air" weapon equipped so keep using the standard MG when under attack.

Personally I like Gigantic Army more than Gunhound (in part because it's much simpler to control) and am not a big fan of Astebreed because it seems to be more style than substance.

A 3D equivalent to that weird "simmy yet arcadey" mixture is Armored Core, I'd recommend For Answer (better mission design) or Verdict Day (easier controls) if you want to try that series.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
Oh also I'd recommend Bunny Must Die from that Steam sale (except to James), it's a good Metroidvania game.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »
If we're talking about that Japanese Comiket sale, then my recommendations would be Mitsurugi Hikae and Freesia Fairy.

Mitsurugi Hikae is a low budget (and appropriately priced) DMC clone. Freesia is 2d hack'n'slash (think Dust or Guacamelee).

Both have decently deep combat system, so an action game fan (like me) should squeeze a lot of play from them.

I haven't bought them myself (i am not going to play them right away anyway so what's the point) but i played demo of Freesia Fairy, and it's pretty cool if a bit monotone at first.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
For additional context regarding my Rayman Legends experience, my wife exclusively used the touch screen (Murphy), even on levels not designed for special interaction. She is not interested in playing platformers. So I didn't have the infamous second player madness alluded to.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »
It's where I live. Actually, I priced out flights for each of us to meet up in each of the four home city, and mine was tied for lowest total airfares with James's city. Since my area is more of a destination in general, i.e. a lot of people would like to visit Colorado some day for various reasons, I volunteered to host. Also, I know that my apartment is large enough to host us comfortably, so I felt this choice would also let us avoid hotel costs. Finally, having done a Crosstawk "Cross-Con" here last year, I knew that a weekend in my city would probably be agreeable for all involved, myself included. It's just an awesome place to be with friends.

See, you took all the fun out of my snarky, yet predicable comment with such a deadpan response.  Way to deflate my balloon.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »
As you might guess, I've learned to deal with the easy jokes.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »
As you might guess, I've learned to deal with the easy jokes.
..But then he Got High.

I'm sorry, I knew where he was originally going and then that song instantly clicked with your response.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »
Ya-hey, la da da da
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 11:56:17 PM »
I'm just going to leave this here... in light of the backlog it seems appropriate to finally record and upload this thing.

For additional context regarding my Rayman Legends experience, my wife exclusively used the touch screen (Murphy), even on levels not designed for special interaction. She is not interested in playing platformers. So I didn't have the infamous second player madness alluded to.
I figured as much. Regular co-op not involving just slapping eachother is nigh impossible.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 04:33:15 AM »
Jon Lindemann aka Mr Diamond J: "As a reaction to my backlog, there are certain genres that I've pretty much sworn off completely, such as sports games. I don't even bother with them anymore."

Did I not just read on Twitter that you were Jonesing, so to speak, for Madden NFL 15? Is the spirit willing but the flesh is weak?

Remember Jon, your backlog doesn't own you, you own your backlog. This PSA is brought to you by Backloggers Anonymous, The Center for Puppetry Arts and the Ad Council.

P.S. You're doing yeoman's work live blogging Survivor Series 1991. I would suggest making a podcast (like Jonny did with Dune), but I don't think Crosstawk could handle that level of awesome.