Poll

Which TG-16/CD game should RFN crew and listeners play and discuss?

Bonk's Revenge
11 (27.5%)
Ninja Spirit
13 (32.5%)
Military Madness
2 (5%)
Cho-Aniki
12 (30%)
Chew Man Fu
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: July 02, 2009, 12:44:25 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #7 Poll - TurboGrafx Edition!  (Read 27152 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #7 Poll - TurboGrafx Edition!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 12:03:51 AM »
It's not a matter of what will win for me. I weigh what I actually want to play, what I am most curious about and also which game would spur our conversation and the crews discussion best.

Tell ya what, I'll play Military Madness with you sometime and we can have our own thread to chat.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:40 AM »
My hand is now being twisted behind the scene. Someone is being mean :P
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »
I still can't decide. I'm leaning towards Ninja Spirit because I was a big supporter of it last time.

Once you go ninja, you never go back.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »
I would really like to play Military Madness, but a strategy game just doesn't have a good chance of winning a RetroActive Poll.  It's the least-known of the games (except maybe for Chu Man Fu) and it's a niche genre.  Your vote will be more appreciated if you go with Ninja Spirit.  ;D

Actually, I think most gamers have at least heard of Military Madness. I never even heard of Ninja Spirit or Chew Man Fu before they came out on the VC. I had only briefly heard of the Bonk series before the first game came out on VC. I was aware of the Cho Aniki games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »
Ah, the TG-16...now you're stepping into my territory.

Firstly, yes, Ninja Spirit did receive a 10.  I actually have/had that issue of EGM, now that I think about it.  I may have tossed them all, but I used to have crazy issues of GamePro/EGM back in the day.  Ninja Spirit was a virtual replica of the arcade game, which was highly sought-after back in the day.

Bonk's Revenge is a really good platformer, Ninja Spirit is a bad-ass action platformer but hard as hell, Military Madness is a cool little strategy game (kind of a dumbed-down Advance Wars), Cho-Aniki is legendary, and Chew Man Fu is ass.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of a different Chew Man Fu. The title and story may be ass, but the actual game is quite good.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
You know, I'd ordinarily agree about there being nothing "serious" to discuss about Cho Aniki, but considering our last two retro games have been seriously difficult and hardcore (and I'd argue "crappy" in the case of Zelda II) it would be nice to have something not so serious for the RFN crew to lampoon.  It just occured to me, though: why isn't Lords of Thunder in this poll?  That was a TurboGrafx game, wasn't it?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »
You know, I'd ordinarily agree about there being nothing "serious" to discuss about Cho Aniki, but considering our last two retro games have been seriously difficult and hardcore (and I'd argue "crappy" in the case of Zelda II) it would be nice to have something not so serious for the RFN crew to lampoon.  It just occured to me, though: why isn't Lords of Thunder in this poll?  That was a TurboGrafx game, wasn't it?

I agree with broodwars.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »
It just occured to me, though: why isn't Lords of Thunder in this poll?  That was a TurboGrafx game, wasn't it?

I was thinking maybe a separate poll for the TG-CD but Cho-Aniki is a CD game. Better luck next time I suppose.

Jonny, I think going to platform specific polls was a great idea. Are we going to keep it that way outside of the periodic 'second chance' polls? That way N64 and GC games won't always dominate polls.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »

I agree with broodwars.

Why am I not surprised? ;)
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »

I agree with broodwars.

If you know anything about our history, you probably should be surprised.  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

Both Cho Aniki and Lords of Thunder have been discussed in earnest on the podcast already.  I'm not sure the crew would have much to say about them that hasn't been said before.

Jonny, I think going to platform specific polls was a great idea.

I echo this statement.  I also wouldn't mind seeing the occasional genre-specific poll.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »

I agree with broodwars.

If you know anything about our history, you probably should be surprised.  ;)

You should see the PMs she's sending me about the game and how horrible it is. She really does not like Ninja Spirit.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 04:23:25 PM »
All the more reason to vote for it!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:48 PM »
Hasn't Lindy been the only podcaster to even play Cho Aniki? I'd say there is plenty of ground to cover about the actual game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
Not playing a game doesn't stop the staff from talking about it at great lengths.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 06:49:25 PM »
I've had Cho Aniki for a few months now. Haven't played it extensively, but I mentioned it on the show, I think. Of course, I have Lords of Thunder too but haven't played that one in ages. I didn't want to include any shmups in the poll, for various reasons (although I do like the genre), but I made the exception for Cho Aniki because of its popularity in previous polls. Also, I do think there's at least one of us on RFN (maybe two) who haven't actually played it yet, whereas I think all four of us got Lords of Thunder in its hey day on the show.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
Hell why wasn't Twinbee in this poll, Lords of Thunder, and Star Parodier.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »
Maybe Jonny will save them for a genre specific poll that is for shooters?
My Game Collection

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 09:11:59 PM »
Okay, I finally voted for Bonk's Revenge because I can't resist a good platformer. The only other Bonk I've played was the GameCube remake of Bonk's Adventure, which was fun and quite humorous.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 10:29:01 AM »
Out of curiosity, can you see the results of the poll before it is final?  If so, you really should vote immediately after you create the poll.  Otherwise, you have an unfair advantage.  ;)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »

...Because there isn't room for 10 games...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2009, 01:06:10 PM »

...Because there isn't room for 10 games...

Whenever you do TurboGrafx 2 include those games and Neutopia or Super Star Solider 

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
Yes, I have voted.

For this poll, I voted with my heart...and my loins.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
Yes, I have voted.

For this poll, I voted with my heart...and my loins.

Oh dear. I think you should have Mrs. Lindy play the game too and see what she has to say about MAN-BEAMS.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
hahaha I'm not even going to go there.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog