Author Topic: Castlevania for Nintendo 64 Review  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Apollo5

• Addison Webb
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Castlevania for Nintendo 64 Review
« on: October 30, 2014, 02:27:43 AM »

A miserable pile of secrets.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/38880/castlevania-for-nintendo-64-review

The early 3D era of gaming was essentially the gaming industry’s middle school years.  Big time franchises were facing the growing pains and the awkward voice cracks associated with growing up. While some franchises made the transition with swagger, Castlevania wasn’t so lucky.

Castlevania for Nintendo 64 was the first entry into the third dimension for a series that was legendary in the 2D world.  It marked the beginning of an eternal struggle for the series to bring to 3D what made the 2D games so great.

One aspect left unchanged in the transition to 3D is the story.  Dracula’s has reappeared once again and it’s up to Reinhardt Schneider, the heir to the Belmont family, and the magically gifted orphan, Carrie Fernandez, to stop Dracula. At the start fo the game, players can chose between either of these leading characters.  

Castlevania 64 is a primitive 3D action platformer that suffers from many of the symptoms that plague games of the same ilk.  The camera has a mind of its own and switches angles to try to suit the situation the player finds him/herself in, and not being able to control the camera can be deadly in difficult platforming situations.  I often found myself falling to my death because I wasn’t confident in my depth perception thanks to some awkward camera angles.

Additionally, combat in Castlevania 64 is atrocious.  The whip seems to have a mind of its own.  No matter what way you are facing, if the whip decides to auto-lock on an enemy, you may find yourself getting rotated in a completely different direction.  All too often I was left feeling frustrated after wasting secondary weapons by accidentally throwing them at nothing.

Likewise, the game’s controls are equally frustrating.  Loot acquired from killing enemies lies on the ground for a temporary period. Unlike most games, walking over the item does not pick it up automatically.  While this did prevent me from picking up an unwanted secondary weapon, I found myself trying to balance attacking and collecting loot while simultaneously fighting off mobs.  It essentially becomes a game of grab what you can without dying.  Worse yet, the movement controls are extremely loose and sometimes take far too long to respond to player input.

One of the things I love the most about the Castlevania series is its incredible library of soundtracks.  Some of the best tracks in video games come from this series. However, Castlevania for the Nintendo 64 has long stretches without music.  When there is music, the compositions are sadly just cliche  horror tunes that prove to be downright boring.  

The same goes for the game’s visuals, unfortunately, as jerky and uninspired graphics add to the game’s lack of character.  Rather than creating an experience that immerses the gamer in a dark, horror-filled atmosphere, Castlevania 64’s graphics are just plain ugly.  On top of that, choppy animations make the cut scenes, which are intended to be frightening, almost comical.  

In the end, I cannot recommend Castlevania 64 to anyone but the most hardcore fans of the franchise.  Fortunately, the Castlevania series has so many great titles, so there really isn’t any reason pull out the N64 to get your vampire hunting fix.

Addison Webb

Offline peacefulwar

• Localization isn't censorship
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania for Nintendo 64 Review
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »
Yeah but dat music doe... http://youtu.be/iWQ1p7CYzt0?list=PL9EC108E92392460D

Extremely biased, one-sided review.  You went into it already hating it.  You came out still hating it.

Offline Apollo5

• Addison Webb
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:51 AM »
Well,

This was my first time ever playing the game so I had no reason to hate it.  I love the Castlevania series.  This game just does a bad job of taking Castlevania into 3D.  The dev team didn't take in to consideration many things that make 3D games enjoyable and playable.
Addison Webb

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »
+

Seriously though....for clarity, is this coming out for Wii U or 3DS virtual console?  Or is NWR releasing retro reviews and I just have been not paying attention enough?

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »

Extremely biased, one-sided review.  You went into it already hating it.  You came out still hating it.

dude the game is universally hated, sharing a link of some fringe outlier who actually liked it despite all the flaws doesn't change the fact its a bad game.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline jvgsjeff

• View Profile
    • JVGS
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »
It's certainly not a great game, but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I still had some fun with it, despite its flaws. But I'm glad you got the title right, at least. So many people think it's called Castlevania 64.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »
It's certainly not a great game, but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. I still had some fun with it, despite its flaws. But I'm glad you got the title right, at least. So many people think it's called Castlevania 64.

I agree. I'm not about to call the first Castlevania on N64 a "good" game (the camera is a nightmare, platforming is extremely finnicky, and the Nitrous section can **** right off), but I enjoyed my time with it. The atmosphere was fantastic for its time, the music catchy, and it felt true to the series. Thankfully, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness would arrive soon after to expand the existing game with more characters, stages, and music for a more complete experience.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »

dude the game is universally hated, sharing a link of some fringe outlier who actually liked it despite all the flaws doesn't change the fact its a bad game.

Dude, he shared a link of music. Not an opinion on the game. Don't snap at someone when you clearly have no idea what your talking about.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
Not a fan of the game, but sweet Jebus, the title screen remix of Opposing Divine Bloodlines is fantastic.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »

Dude, he shared a link of music. Not an opinion on the game. Don't snap at someone when you clearly have no idea what your talking about.

I wasn't snapping at him and I know his comment had nothing to do with the music even if the link did, and YES I followed the link too but his comment was confrontational so I reacted, as is often my way, appropriately don't like it don't respond no need to defend some one else who didn't feel the need to either. Plus I wasn't entirely series I had the game when it was new but it is near universally hated, maybe not among super die hard Nintendo fans I guess but everyone else its regarded as one of the worst Castlevania games and one fo the worst N64 games also.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:08 AM »

I wasn't snapping at him and I know his comment had nothing to do with the music even if the link did, and YES I followed the link too but his comment was confrontational so I reacted, as is often my way, appropriately don't like it don't respond no need to defend some one else who didn't feel the need to either. Plus I wasn't entirely series I had the game when it was new but it is near universally hated, maybe not among super die hard Nintendo fans I guess but everyone else its regarded as one of the worst Castlevania games and one fo the worst N64 games also.

The link is about music but his comment sounds very confrontational so why does he get a free pass but I don't?

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »
Casti 64 was awful, I bought it few days after launch.

I turned on the game, I was so in awe and excitement after that great intro with the kid laying the violin....

But then shortly after I was WTF is this?....want my money back!!

So yeah....another pro was THAT INTRO...so to me the game is 4/10

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 01:11:42 AM »
The game is not that bad.  I haven't played this game since it's original release, but I recall enjoying it very much.  If this gets a release on Wii U Virtual Console, I will probably download it.  The music was also pretty good.  I have the soundtrack and my favorite tracks are Introduction, Prologue, Dungeon Main Theme, Tower of Science/Execution/Sorcery, and the ending credits.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 01:59:31 AM »
As a 3D N64 adventure game no its not that bad, as a fast paced action adventure game its terrible. What most people complain about is how its not enough like a typical Castlevania and being in 3D isn't the problem because they have done amazing 3D games in the series since, it was just a slow paced, ackward, clunky mess. The sequel isn't any better both were forgettable. But I suppose if you only had an N64 or really loved 3D games it might not have been an issue but compared to SOTN this game is a drag to play, its even a drag compared to Nightmare Creatures a game that does this type of game much better on the same console so its not even the consoles fault.

This was the very first game I bought for my N64 after playing Super Mario 64 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy (which I quickly traded in for the vastly superior PS1 version the very next week) I had already come off of playing Bloodlines on Genesis, 4 and X on SNES, and then there was this nightmare. My friend brother in law had Symphony of the Night and I would just watch him play and when a friend loaned me his copy of Nightmare Creatures I was even more disappointed that this type of game could be done right.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
+

Seriously though....for clarity, is this coming out for Wii U or 3DS virtual console?  Or is NWR releasing retro reviews and I just have been not paying attention enough?

for reals tho.

I had to check the top of the page and make sure I was on page 1 of Talkback and didn't accidentally end up on page 123 of Talkback.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
Weird to do a retro review just to trash a game. The pair of N64 Castlevanias are my fave in the series.