Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 453032 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1375 on: October 23, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Some predictions for tonight's Nintendo Direct:

1. DLC announced with Season Pass.

2. There will be at least one 3DS-Wii U connectivity character. Free with connectivity, paid DLC for those without both versions.

3. Major focus on the Wii U exclusive mode. Rumors suggest a Mario Party-esque board game mode.

4. Wii U version will have exclusive alts/costumes.

5. Ice Climbers return, Wii U exclusive. Wishful thinking, but I'm going with it.

6. Wii U bundle will be announced.

7. Amiibo demonstration, new figures unveiled.

8. Event Matches return.

9.  Stage Builder demonstration.

10. Demo announced, same lamezorz restrictions as the 3DS demo. Club Nintendo emails sent for the unlimited demo to be released tomorrow and the 30-use limited demo for the non-special peons to be released next Friday.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 23, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
I'm really not expecting a whole hell of a lot of surprising new info. The Smash World board game mode has already leaked, as have a number of Wii U stages.

So I'm guessing we'll get a lot of Amiibo details, explication of WiiU exclusive modes, new trophies, maybe most of the WiiU stages (spoiler: they accidentally confirmed that Temple is returning in a previous PotD).

I'll go against Adrock with a dour prediction that we will get no new character information either via connectivity or DLC. At most there will maybe be a hint about costume or stage DLC, but no characters. We'll get newcomer trailers for Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.

To get even more pessimistic, I'll also poo-poo the speculated 8-player mode. I bet it's either a tag-team set-up or an Amiibo play-along mode. So there.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 23, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
I would be happy with most of that, should it happen. I'm not really sure what to expect from this, in part because it's a stream and not pre-recorded. I'm sure at least a few of the 50 things have to be something lame like trophies, but they should show something compelling too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 23, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »
Man, Jungle Hijinx looks so cool.

Nice to see Mewtwo back (next Spring).

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 23, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
Welp, I was pretty wrong, which is a good thing. I can't imagine they'd have Mewtwo slated for Spring if that was the only DLC character. Cheers to more months of unceasing rumors! Though I think this direct pretty much debunked every existing "leak" that has gotten any attention.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: October 23, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
There's no way they're hyping a Spring 2015 release of just one downloadable character. Ice Climbers hype begin now!

The new Classic mode sound awesome.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 23, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
Welp, I was pretty wrong, which is a good thing. I can't imagine they'd have Mewtwo slated for Spring if that was the only DLC character. Cheers to more months of unceasing rumors! Though I think this direct pretty much debunked every existing "leak" that has gotten any attention.

According to Caterkiller, there is a leak regarding Chorus Men, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, and Ridley as characters coming to the Wii U and being available for the 3D as well. The Mewtwo confirmation strengthens that leak but it leaves Ice Climbers in the cold again.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 23, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
So Ridley's going to be a playable character and a stage hazard? Ehhhhh Ice Climbers for the win please.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 23, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »
I think the Spainkiller (from neogaf) leak is still alive. His source mentioned seeing moving models of Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, and the Chorus Kids. So far, he's two for four. He never specifically mentioned Ridley being playable.

I'd still like to see all the cut characters return. Four to six months gives them plenty of time to add more than just Mewtwo.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #1384 on: October 23, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
Nostalgia was leaking out of my eyes when I saw the Great Cave Offensive stage. Much, much nostalgia.

I need a Wii U now. Well, next month.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 23, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »
Hrm, I dunno, that "moving model" bit seems like a stretch in regards to Ridley. He was quite clearly going to be a stage boss from that tease, not sure why a source would bring up visual knowledge of that as worth passing along with playable characters. But yeah, I guess Spankiller is still technically in the running, though I suspect from the various leaks that Chorus Kids were planned but scrapped for technical reasons, like Ice Climbers. But time will tell!

Edit: Just checked up on that rumor; Spainkiller followed up on his original post, apparently, by DMing a NeoGAF user that his source claims to have seen these models running on the 3DS version, so stage boss Ridley doesn't qualify. So technically there could be a different version as a character. I realllly doubt it though; if the DLC characters are as far off as Spring, I don't know that it makes sense for an NoE marketer or tester or whatever to have seen them running.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:00:06 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
Mewtwo is a character many people have been speculating for a long time for obvious reasons.  First in the normal roster, and then as DLC right after the normal roster was revealed.  Now this Spainkiller could be right in the end but right now, making a prediction that Mewtwo was going to be DLC and he ended up being doesn't exactly give the guy the most credibility in the world.  It's not exactly a Wii Fit Trainer type of prediction that also happened to have Mega Man and Villager as well that.

Personally I'd expect Lucas and Wolf to be added as well since like Mewtwo, they're characters that already have existing movesets from former Smash Bros so they're easier to make.  I could also see Ice Climbers maybe returning since if the requirement to get DLC involves owning both versions, realistically everyone who owns both is going to prefer the Wii U version anyway so making them Wii U exclusive shouldn't offend anyone since the only way to get the DLC characters involves owning a Wii U anyway.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 23, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
Here's a summary of the Nintendo Direct for those (Mop it up) who didn't want to watch the whole thing.

1. More starting characters in the Wii U version.

2. The Wii U version is in HD. Shocking, I know.

3. Up to eight-players, but only on certain stages. Not available online.

4. Bigger stages detailed. Hyrule Temple from Melee returns. There's a bigger version of Battlefield called "Big Battlefield." There are "special combat conditions" for this stage; he did not elaborate.

5. The Great Cave Offensive stage revealed. It has "Danger Zones" that will KO you automatically if you're above 100%.

6. Jungle Hijinx stage based on Donkey Kong Country Returns revealed. It has has two planes, a foreground and a background, to fight on which you move between with Barrel Cannons. Using a Barrel Cannon will surround a fighter in flames temporarily (visual cue, causes no damage), but using it again immediately while surrounded by flames will cause the fighter to blow up. This is probably to prevent Barrel Cannon spamming.

7. Wii U version has more stages than the 3DS version. There's a reel of stages from both versions. I'm not going to list them all. Wrecking Crew is new (I think). They showed the Mario Circuit stage from Brawl and a different Mario Kart stage based on Mario Circuit from Mario Kart 8. 75 M is back for some reason though it might actually be fun this time with 8-player battles. Also, it looks like the past stages have gotten an HD touch-up. No sign of stages from Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo 64.

8. Miiverse Stage revealed, same set-up as Battlefield. Miiverse posts will show up in the background. It will not be ready when the game releases.

9. Palutena, Viridi, and Pit have short conversations about the fighters in the Palutena's Temple stage if you pick Pit and use his down-taunt, like the codec conversations in the Shadow Moses stage in Brawl. There are some cameos (e.g. Chrom). You can also listen to Star Fox team's radio chatter in the Orbital Gate Assault and Lylat Cruise stages.

10. Gaur Plains is also available in the Wii U version, but Metal Face shows up at night and makes the stage annoying. He talks a lot and can be KO'd.

11. Ridley is a stage hazard in the Pyrosphere. Attack him enough and he fights with you. If he gets killed, that counts as a KO (sounded like only for the person who scored the KO, not against the player whose side Ridley was on) and you can KO him even if he's fighting with you. He can also transform into Meta-Ridley if he "consumes a certain type of energy." The segment ended with Sakurai drinking an entire bottle of Caterkiller's tears; he said it was the most delicious and refreshing beverage he's ever had. I may have made that last part up.

12. Coin Battle returns.

13. Stamina Battle returns.

14. Special Smash has a bunch of different options to create crazy matches. It doesn't affect your records.

15. Item frequency option returns. No mention of the 3DS version getting updated.

16. My Music allows you to change the frequency of songs that appear on the stage. This is the same as Brawl unless I'm mistaken.

17. Menu music can be changed.

18. **** ton of music. The Wii U version has more music than the 3DS version, but we already knew this.

19. There are more composers in the Wii U version.

20. Collecting CDs nets use more music. Some can be obtained by completing Challenges. Same as Brawl.

21. There are 140 Challenges, all on one page (3DS version has 105 split into three pages). Apparently, the Challenges are harder than ever.

22. Classic Mode in the Wii U version is different than Classic Mode in the 3DS version. You do not choose paths. It's skill-based and you advance based on performance. You can adjust the intensity like the 3DS version by using coins. Classic Mode can be played with two players! Looks like you get both trophies if you complete Classic Mode with two players using different characters.

23. Clearing Classic Mode shows you a short movie of the character you use, similar to Melee.

24. Unlike All-Star Mode in the 3DS version, you fight characters in All-Star Mode in the Wii U version in reverse-chronological order. It can also be played with two-players.

25. Event Mode returns. It's no longer a list of events. The event matches branch out on a map. There are different paths though he didn't specify if they unlock under certain circumstances. There are different difficulty levels for the events which yield rewards on Hard (possibly on Easy and Medium, but the example shown was on Hard). There are some two player Events as well which has a different map than the single-player one.

26. Smash Tour revealed, a board game mode for up to four players. Use your Mii to move around the board picking up fighters, items, and power-ups. If you land on the same space as another player, all players have to face off in a random battle and the winner can take another player's fighter. At the end, you play a stock battle with all the fighters you collected. This mode is a hard to explain. There are checkpoints that make you stronger and you can use items for strategy. If you're interested, it's probably better to watch this part to get a better idea of it.

27. Target Blast in the Wii U version is similar to Target Blast in the 3DS version. Notable differences include a larger bomb in round two (harder to hit off the platform) with a larger explosion. There are also three types of stages instead of just the one in the 3DS version.

28. Stadium Mode can be played multiplayer. Take turns in Target Blast. Play simultaneously in Multi-Man Smash. Take turns with up to four players or with two players cooperatively in Home Run Contest.

29. Special Orders Mode revealed. Not sure if I'm getting this right. In Master Orders, you buy a ticket (higher difficulty, higher price, better rewards) and you advance by completing the ticket's challenge (winning a special type of match). You get one chance to complete the challenge (lose, no reward) so you can't repeat the challenge to try to get that same reward. In Crazy Orders, it costs coins or a pass just to enter (not sure how you earn passes, but the same icon was on the Events map). Then, you complete as many challenges as you can within a set time limit to earn rewards. You have to beat Crazy Hand in a match to keep the rewards. If you lose, you get nothing.

30. Master Core has a new form: Master Fortress (only available in higher difficulty). It's reminiscent of the Zelda stage of Melee's Adventure Mode, just not Zelda themed. You have to find the Master Core and destroy it. This makes more sense than the 3DS version. After defeating the Master Shadow form in the 3DS version, the actual Master Core just sits there and you hit it until you can score a KO.

31. All the controller options shown. Changing the button layout seems to allow more freedom.

32. The GameCube controller adapter allows you to use GameCube controllers to play. Who knew?!

33. Using the 3DS as a controller requires Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.

34. Custom Characters with all the equipment can be transferred from 3DS to Wii U. This also includes Mii Fighters with their costumes and equipment.

35. **** ton of trophies, most are taken from console games. There are more trophies in the Wii U version.

36. Earn Final Smash Trophies by completing All-Star Mode with each character.

37. Trophy Box for showcasing earned trophies. Looks like a different way to organize them.

38. Photo Studio detailed. You can arrange your trophies and take pictures of them. It looks pretty robust. You can arrange them in a 3D plane and change the size of the trophies, for example.

39. Trophy Rush can be played with two players. You can team up or play competitively.

40. Masterpieces return. This is similar to Brawl, but they make a point of stating that start-up is quick (I presume because this was slow in Brawl). Demos of the games are timed and some are set up with pre-installed save data, probably to skip story/exposition and get right to gameplay. You can go right to the e-shop  of the demoed game from the Masterpieces menu to purchase it.

41. Amiibo detailed. Amiibo gives you a Figure Player that gains experience fighting. You can feed it extra equipment to gain experience. You can fight or team up against them or watch them fight for some reason. The Figure Player is tougher if you bring it to someone else's Wii U, and it can earn rewards.

42. Use the Wii LAN adapter if your wifi connection isn't stable (or you don't have one).

43. Notifications show up at the top of the main menu.

44. Two players can play online on the same Wii U.

45. You can host and join tournaments, as well as set up different rules and conditions for the tournament. The Tournaments feature will not be ready when the game releases. This seems to be a recurring theme.

46. Nintendo will host their own tournaments. Up to 64-players. You can watch replays, up to two minutes.

47. The GamePad can mirror the action on your TV, or you can set it up to also show the damage percentage, similar to the bottom screen of the 3DS version.

48. You can draw on photos taken in game then share them online. I'm sure this won't descend into crudely drawn penises everywhere.

49. Voice chat using the Wii U GamePad microphone... in between matches. This is done to keep the connection as strong as possible during matches.

50. Stage builder detailed. Use the stylus to draw platforms and set up pieces. There are five themes, but they're generic again. Boo/hiss

51. You can share photos, replays, Mii fighters, and custom stages, but... again and unfortunately, this feature will not be available when the game releases.

52. Bowser Jr. reveal trailer. All the "Joins the Battle" movies can be viewed from the game.

53. Register both Wii U and 3DS versions of Super Smash Bros. on Club Nintendo by January 13 to get a two-disc soundtrack, 36 tracks on each CD. Someone call Luigi Dude and tell him to post the Super Saiyin Coach.gif.

54. Mewtwo announced, no trailer. He will be available Spring 2015. Right now, it's for people who buy Super Smash Bros. on both Wii U and 3DS. I suspect he'll be paid DLC for those with only one version.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:50:32 AM by Adrock »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 23, 2014, 10:17:56 PM »
I just paused the ND to share this little comment:

I love the slight pause the announcer gives after he announces Master Beast, just to make sure it really sunk in.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1389 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »
Wow adrock!
I'm starting to gain some respect for you.
Made you look ****.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 24, 2014, 12:56:40 AM »
53. Register both Wii U and 3DS versions of Super Smash Bros. on Club Nintendo by January 13 to get a two-disc soundtrack, 36 tracks on each CD. Someone call Luigi Dude and tell him to post the Super Saiyin Coach.gif.

At this point somebody really needs to edit this to make it Super Saiyan Level 3 because that's my level after this Direct.  Especially after that part in the Direct showing just how much more music is in the Wii U version.  If that comparison bar is anywhere close to accurate, then the soundtrack in the Wii U version is looking to be over 500 songs.  Makes me almost want to go Level 4 but then I'd have to acknowledge GT which outside of the music, I don't want to go there.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 24, 2014, 06:12:25 AM »
3. Up to eight-players, but only on certain stages. Not available online.

5. The Great Cave Offensive stage revealed.

6. Jungle Hijinx stage based on Donkey Kong Country Returns revealed. It has has two planes, a foreground and a background, to fight on which you move between with Barrel Cannons. Using a Barrel Cannon will surround a fighter in flames temporarily (visual cue, causes no damage), but using it again immediately while surrounded by flames will cause the fighter to blow up. This is probably to prevent Barrel Cannon spamming.

22. Classic Mode in the Wii U version is different than Classic Mode in the 3DS version. You do not choose paths. It's skill-based and you advance based on performance. You can adjust the intensity like the 3DS version by using coins. Classic Mode can be played with two players! Looks like you get both trophies if you complete Classic Mode with two players using different characters.

24. Unlike All-Star Mode in the 3DS version, you fight characters in All-Star Mode in the Wii U version in reverse-chronological order. It can also be played with two-players.

45. You can host and join tournaments, as well as set up different rules and conditions for the tournament. The Tournaments feature will not be ready when the game releases. This seems to be a recurring theme.

46. Nintendo will host their own tournaments. Up to 64-players. You can watch replays, up to two minutes.

50. Stage builder detailed. Use the stylus to draw platforms and set up pieces. There are five themes, but they're generic again. Boo/hiss

These are all things I liked from the Direct.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
Here's a summary of the Nintendo Direct for those (Mop it up) who didn't want to watch the whole thing.
Just to clarify, it's because I was busy when it was aired.

Thanks for the roundup, but I already saw the one NWR posted. Though it looks like this one has some more details. I might as well go through what I think of the list.

1. Bummer, I wanted less starters. I wanna earn my characters, not have them handed to be on a platter!
2. Well it's specifically that it's in 1080p, making it the first retail game to be 1080p that isn't a port of an old game. I think that's something.
3. 8-players is nice but at this point, without online I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of it.
4. I like larger stages so yay, I just hope they are not limited to 5-8 players.
5. Sounds weird.
6. Sounds like a good Donkey Kong stage.
7. Since Smash 3DS has less stages than Brawl then there better be more than the 3DS game. And Brawl.
8. Sounds like a different version of the PictoChat stage, could be good.
9. Dumb.
10. Sounds stupid.
11. Shoulda been playable.
12. Never really liked Coin Battle.
13. Never really cared about Stamina, makes it too much like a boring ol' normal fighter.
14. Special Smash should have been expanded, such as allowing you to tweak individual players.
15. Needs more item frequency options.
16. Don't care.
17. Melee menu better be back.
18. Don't care.
19. Don't care.
20. Great, CD factory needs to be made again.
21. Meh.
22. Sounds same as always.
23 . I had no idea this was absent from Brawl, didn't remember that.
24. I prefer random order.
25. Sounds like Event Mode is better than ever.
26. Smash Tour, sounds simple but could be fun.
27. Doesn't sound as fun as Target Test or Board the Platforms.
28. Sounds same as always.
29. Still not entirely sure how Special Orders, works, but sounds interesting.
30. Could be a good boss.
31. Control options are always nice.
32. Might get an adapter.
33. Don't care.
34. Figured as much.
35. Don't care.
36. Don't care.
37. Don't care.
38. I expect to see lots of phallic imagery.
39. Don't know what this is.
40. Stupid.
41. Lame.
42. Not a bad idea.
43. Don't care.
44. Brawl could do this in friend matches, I assume this means it works in With Anyone now too?
45. Don't care.
46. Don't care.
47. Lame.
48. More phallic imagery.
49. Don't care.
50. Might be worthwhile now.
51. I'd be surprised if you couldn't since you could in Brawl.
52. Hate Bowser Jr, but the Koopalings make him acceptable.
53. Yup, plan to register.
54. Don't care about Mewtwo but nice to know there is a possibility of DLC.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 27, 2014, 12:08:37 AM »
HOLY ****

That's right, the final boss theme to The Wonderful 101 is a track on the Mario Galaxy stage.  For anyone that hasn't heard this masterpiece yet, here it is.

Well I think the Mario Galaxy stage will win the award for stage with best song selection.  Tracks from Galaxy 1+2 and the Final Boss theme to The Wonderful 101.  Going to be real hard to top that.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 09, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »
Well fellow music lovers, there isn't enough Saiyan coaches in the world to show my reaction anymore.  The default music lineup is already at 323 songs and has some pretty damn impressive choices.  And this is just the default lineup, we haven't even gotten to all the unlockables yet.

Yeah, at this point the game is basically going be an interactive music CD for me. :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:25:25 AM by Luigi Dude »

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1395 on: November 09, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
The Brawl soundtrack was one of the best things about the game. Many of those songs have a healthy life on my iPod.

Like Luigi Dude, pretty excited about this gigantic collection of music for the latest Smash Bros. :-)
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1396 on: November 10, 2014, 11:16:41 PM »
I hope Nintendo has the smarts to release this on itunes for a digital download.  I would love to buy it.  But I don't have a 3DS or Wii U.  Nor am I getting one any time soon.  Nor would I buy this game twice for a CD.  But I would buy the collection outright for $15-20.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 11, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
The upcoming version update will address balance issues. I didn't think Nintendo was going to bother. Unfortunately (though unsurprisingly), you can't play locally with anyone still running an older version (1.0.3 or lower) and anyone who doesn't have the latest patch will not be able to play online. Weirdly, you can't playback previously saved replays after the update. I never saved any replays, but that's still strange to me.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
I remember on some old PC games that after an update you could not play old saves. I'm wondering if Nintendo cut some corners in making the patch and the replays were a victim of their method.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1399 on: November 11, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »
It probably has to do with how replays are coded.  Maybe once the balance is changed the replays would accurately be represented?