Author Topic: Link's Awakening - Remake, Re-release or Direct Sequel campaign?  (Read 28617 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Link's Awakening - Remake, Re-release or Direct Sequel campaign?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2007, 01:20:06 AM »
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9626/0914071948ag3.jpg

Most people probably won't find it too exciting, but I like it.

Okay, what about Link's Awakening, simply redone with FSA-style graphics, on a DS Cart with the original Four Swords (from the GBA LttP cart) with Wireless Multiplayer?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2007, 04:15:08 AM »
I'd definitely want a new four swords portion.  I love those things.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2007, 12:04:49 AM »
A graphically redone Link's Awakening with a WiFi Four Swords = Insatant Buy
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Link's Awakening - Remake, Re-release or Direct Sequel campaign?
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2007, 05:43:17 AM »
A friend of mine is a big Zelda fan, but never owned a handheld.  She also  got into the series late, so she's missing a few games.  This thread made send her my extra GBC (how I git 2?) and a used copy of Links Awakening (once again: how I git 2?).  Shoulda checked the battery... stupid dead battery crap.  

I have to say I love the game, but the story was pretty final, and it was already colorized.  Even Nintendo may have an issue with a second rema...no they wouldn't nevermind me.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Link's Awakening - Remake, Re-release or Direct Sequel campaign?
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »
Well Unclebob got his wish. 

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread but I wanted to see if there was an existing one before creating a new one, and this one is as good as any I suppose.

_____

I'll preface this by saying that I've never played classic Link's Awakening.  The remake is my first experience with the game. 

Given how much praise I've seen for it here and elsewhere I assumed it was going to be a great time.  I'm a few hours in and I am thus far very disappointed.  I suppose the biggest issue I have is summed up in a single word...."Why?"

I don't know if I've missed something huge, but I have no idea why I'm doing what I'm doing. Why didn't I just roll back over in bed when I woke up? Why have I decided to embark on this epic quest? Why am I mercilessly striking down castle guards who are just doing their jobs, and stealing golden leaves for some person I've never met and doesn't explain why he should have them over their current owners?

The gameplay itself seems fine, but my questions just pull me out of it every time.  Especially the above mentioned example of the castle.  Given that I haven't been told who's in this castle and if they are deserving of some punishment I assumed that portion of the game was going to be a stealth section, (similar to getting to Zelda in OoT).   Then one of them sees me and just starts attacking me.  I initially didn't want to fight back because this is just some guy doing his 9-5 job, and I am the one who is trespassing.   Yeah I know I'm overthinking this but that's just how I tick.  I need a reason to do something, especially if that something involves killing people and stealing their stuff.

I'm very much hoping that there'll be some huge story dump at some time to give me a reason to care.  But as things are currently I'm finding it very hard to keep playing it because I'm just not invested.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
I haven't played any of the remake yet, but if it's anything like the original you shouldn't expect much in the way of story. It was pretty advanced for a Game Boy game, but it was still a Game Boy game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2019, 12:25:31 AM »
I'm nearing the end of the game, myself. I put the game up tonight in the 8th dungeon.

So far, I'm quite enjoying the game, but I can't exactly say that I love it. I never made it further than the 2nd or so dungeon in the DX incarnation of Link's Awakening because I found the item-switching gameplay extremely tedious and the environments irritatingly labyrinthine.

Playing the Switch remake now, this is easily the most playable the game's ever been now that we have dedicated buttons for the sword, Pegasus Boots, and shield. I'm still finding the overworld annoyingly convoluted, but the dungeons extremely simplistic. I'm glad I finally played it properly, but I'm not really seeing where all the love for this game is coming from. Outside of the bizarre enemy cameos, the game's just not doing anything we haven't seen done better in both earlier (LTTP) and later Zelda titles.

I still have to do a sweep of the world for the seashells and heart pieces before I finish off the game, as I only have around 35 seashells right now and 17 full heart containers (soon to be 18 when I beat the 8th dungeon).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:32:42 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2019, 01:51:59 AM »
I'm glad I finally played it properly, but I'm not really seeing where all the love for this game is coming from. Outside of the bizarre enemy cameos, the game's just not doing anything we haven't seen done better in both earlier (LTTP) and later Zelda titles.
You mentioned not getting further than the second dungeon or so, but did you play it in the 90s? I think that’s largely where that it comes from. As a big Link to the Past mark, I was thoroughly impressed by how much of that game Nintendo managed to squeeze into a Gameboy cartridge. It isn’t that close but still really good for a black and white handheld. Completely remaking Link’s Awakening takes some of that away. The first few dungeons are pretty simplistic; the last three are some of my favorites in the entire series, especially Eagle Tower. Also, Turtle Rock in Link’s Awakening > Turtle Rock in A Link to the Past. It isn’t even close. Turtle Rock in A Link to the Past sucks. So much.

Anyway, I completed the Switch version this weekend. 100% item collection (I cheated by googling the last six or seven Secret Seashells because the reward wasn’t worth randomly digging around Koholint Island). The only thing I didn’t do was the last set of Dampe’s chamber dungeons, and I doubt I’ll go back to it (see below). Fishing was infuriating at times. After a while, I did get good at it. Probably was not worth the two to three hours it took to get all the rewards. I got stuck trying to catch the Cheep Cheep. According to my 3DS, the last time I played Link’s Awakening was in September 2014. I was surprised by how much I didn’t remember considering this is probably my fifth or sixth play through. I know Grezzo added heart pieces and Secret Seashells. I’m specifically referring to parts of dungeons. I definitely wandered at times.

Link’s Awakening is still fun though it weirdly lost some of its luster by getting a new coat of paint. I love the graphics, just not of this game. I’m tired; I’ll regroup in the morning.

Besides the high definition graphics, the Chamber Dungeons are the biggest addition. I didn’t put hours upon hours into dungeon creation because I really just wanted in-game items. I created the requisite 12 dungeons. At best, it’s an okay starting point for a Zelda Maker. At worst, the limitations are so glaring, I’ll probably never spend time creating dungeons. Has anyone used Microsoft Visio? I use it at work to make flowcharts. Sometimes, I’ll try to move a box or maybe a few boxes then Visio has a stroke and fucks up all the arrows/connectors. Unless I’m having a stroke, that’s what adding rooms with a staircase in the Chamber Dungeons feels like. For one arrangement, Dampe wants you to make a dungeon with staircases and isolates a couple rooms so you’re forced to use staircases to reach those sections. The game automatically chooses which two staircases connect, and just kept choosing the wrong ones. On top of that, the last chest is always the Boss Key. It got to the point where I just cheesed my way through. I used as few rooms as possible and created intentional dead ends without chests just so I wouldn’t have to go there when I adventure through the dungeon for the Secret Seashell or whatever.

Ultimately, the Chamber Dungeon mode feels like a free trial version. It wasn’t very enjoyable to me. Sure, I’ll make some dungeons for the items, but without a bunch of wild customization options, I won’t go back to it now that I finished the main quest. I have no doubt Nintendo can absolutely make an fun and initiative dungeon creator. I got the sense the team was merely testing out the waters.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:17:54 AM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2019, 02:03:25 AM »
I'm glad I finally played it properly, but I'm not really seeing where all the love for this game is coming from. Outside of the bizarre enemy cameos, the game's just not doing anything we haven't seen done better in both earlier (LTTP) and later Zelda titles.
You mentioned not getting further than the second dungeon or so, but did you play it in the 90s? I think that’s largely where that it comes from.

I did play Link's Awakening DX on my GBA back in the early 2000s, but I never got very far in it. I think I got stuck trying to find the 3rd dungeon, running around in circles in the overworld trying to find the damn castle with the 5 golden leaves. I eventually just gave up and went on to other games. This is the 1st time I'm playing the game all the way through. I'm not sure why Link's Awakening gave me so much trouble on the GBA. I got through the Oracle games just fine, and they're much better and more complex than Link's Awakening is.

It just feels like, for a full-priced remake, they could have done a lot more to flesh this game out and justify that price. I mentioned on Twitter that the storytelling is really barebones and not particularly engaging, and people come back at me with "well, it was a GameBoy Game. What did you expect?" To which I have to reply "This is a remake on a modern console. That excuse no longer applies." Grezzo could have done whatever they wanted to beef up aspects of the original game that were lacking. Time and advances in technology have wiped away what made Link's Awakening unique, so Grezzo could have done more (in the vein of the Resident Evil GameCube remake) to expand upon the original material to reinforce its uniqueness.

It's weird, but this feels like a $40 barebones remake sold for $60 because Nintendo.

And yes, the lazy coding with the staircase pairing in the Chamber Dungeons pissed me off, too. It just makes absolutely no sense how it will arbitrarily pair them to ruin a dungeon layout. I don't know why they didn't just let you manually pair them, except that would actually involve effort on the dev's part.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:18:08 AM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2019, 04:19:19 AM »

Outside of the bizarre enemy cameos, the game's just not doing anything we haven't seen done better in both earlier (LTTP) and later Zelda titles.

Link's Awakening is actually secretly the most influential game in the series. The whole Zelda formula for dungeon design that went on until Skyward Sword was something that Link's Awakening started.

here's a link.

I mentioned on Twitter that the storytelling is really barebones and not particularly engaging, and people come back at me with "well, it was a GameBoy Game. What did you expect?" To which I have to reply "This is a remake on a modern console. That excuse no longer applies." Grezzo could have done whatever they wanted to beef up aspects of the original game that were lacking. Time and advances in technology have wiped away what made Link's Awakening unique, so Grezzo could have done more (in the vein of the Resident Evil GameCube remake) to expand upon the original material to reinforce its uniqueness.

Actually, what really make's Link's Awakening unique is it's story. It's this kind of weird, morally ambiguous thing that you wouldn't expect from the Zelda series which generally goes for more classic good vs evil tropes.

If the Oracle Games get remastered than I will expect something more drastic in terms of storytelling. The Oracle games are just much more like traditional Zelda games in terms of story so they could benefit greatly from being on more modern hardware, but I feel that Link's Awakening's story works largely because it's presented in such a minimalist way. It's abstract, strange, and not for everybody but to call the way it's told lacking or outdated demonstrates a massive misunderstanding of what makes that game's story appealing to so many people.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:21:44 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2019, 11:17:29 AM »
It just feels like, for a full-priced remake, they could have done a lot more to flesh this game out and justify that price.

It's weird, but this feels like a $40 barebones remake sold for $60 because Nintendo.
Nintendo can justify the price because we bought the game at $60, and it knew we were all going to. In hindsight, I wish I paid $40 for Link’s Awakening. This is the same company that sold an almost straight port of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for $10 more than the Wii U original. I couldn’t throw my money at Nintendo fast enough. That’s on me.
I feel that Link's Awakening's story works largely because it's presented in such a minimalist way. It's abstract, strange, and not for everybody
(Unmarked spoilers. This is a 26 year old game.)

Definitely the best thing about the story in Link’s Awakening. A lot of the details don’t matter, and they’re handled in a way that I not only don’t mind but also prefer not knowing the answer. What is the Wind Fish? Where did the Nightmares originate from? How did the Nightmares enter the dream and trap the Wind Fish there? How did Link enter the dream? Did the events of the game even happen? Or did some ocean deity save Link after lightning destroyed his ship and Link imagined the whole thing (as said deity just fucking leaves him in the middle of the ocean)? So on and so forth.

Nintendo did an excellent job giving most of the NPCs unique personalities, and if anything, I think that’s why I cared about what happens to Koholint Island and the choice to destroy it. Link is a prisoner, and completing the game means choosing to end the lives of everyone and everything on the island. If they’re in a dream, are they alive? You just don’t expect moral philosophy in your Zelda game. In the end, all except except Link, the Wind Fish, and Marin cease to exist. Marin becomes a seagull (if you complete a no death run), but she loses her father and her friends (and possibly her memories as a person, if she even was a person... oh my goodness, this game is deep). That was dark, unsettling, and unexpected in a black and white 8-bit handheld game.

That’s also why I don’t think the updated visuals are appropriate for the game. The cameos and meta-dialog work to lighten the narrative, but Link’s Awakening is low-key dark. The new graphics really contrast that. Maybe that’s the point? Grezzo basically made polygonal models of Gameboy graphics. Yeah, that like makes sense. However, the original visuals were what Gameboy could do in 1993. No one questioned it when the hardware couldn’t support better. Now, the hardware can do anything, and that’s kind of why I don’t agree with the art direction.

The interactions with Marin are some of the best in the series. There’s a certain sadness behind her words. Seeing her dialog come out of a Mega Bloks figure took something away. Maybe it’s the palette and the textures. I should note, after playing the remake, I wouldn’t have used the intro/ending cutscene art either. So, yeah, I’m conflicted. The graphics are excellent from a technical standpoint, I don’t think they work for the remake, but I also don’t really know what I’d change it to. I’ve seen some maritime art that could have been a good place to take inspiration from. Drastically changing the art direction (and maybe the proportions) may have required completely redoing everything including the world map and dungeon design. At that point, why remake anything?

Semi-related: I just realized Marin is short for and/or a name-pun of marine/mariner. This is almost as embarrassing as when I learned that Navi was short for and/or a name-pun of navigator. I need to lie down and count to 10.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2019, 12:25:53 PM »
The beauty of Links Awakening and why it's usually regarded as one of the best if not the best Game Boy game is because it was designed around the Game Boys limitations.  Because of the lack of enemies the GB could show on screen, they couldn't replicate the action of LttP or even the NES original, so they focused more on puzzles.  Same thing with the map, since the game couldn't be as big as LttP, they made sure every screen was important and added more unique and interesting locations.  So despite the smaller size, the locations were more memorable.  And on the story, pokepal148 and Adrock already explained why that worked so well despite it being so minimal.

Basically Link's Awakening is the perfect example of how limitations can breed creativity.  Unlike a game like Metroid II which was held back by the Game Boys limitation, the Zelda team knew what they could and couldn't do, and was able to make a masterpiece around what they could do.  Even though the Switch is more powerful then the Game Boy, suddenly adding more story, making the dungeons more complex, these things start to mess with the flow and pacing of the original.  At that point they might as well turn it into a sequel like Link Between Worlds did, since that game originally started as a remake of LttP, before the developers realized some of the idea's they wanted to do would be better off just making a new game out of.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »
Well, I finished the Link's Awakening Remake, getting all the heart pieces & seashells. I even went back after the game & got the last Nintendo statue from the crane game.

Well, that was a shitty final boss, even by Zelda's low standards. The 1st half of the fight is exceptionally cryptic as to what, exactly, can even hurt the boss, and then the last part of the fight is easier than most of the dungeon bosses. Meh.

"Meh" kind of sums up my feelings about this game as a whole, and probably the back of the box best sums up why: Nintendo makes a big deal about combining items on the back cover, something that you will probably only ever do with the Pegasus Boots & Roc Feather. I probably used the bomb arrows exactly twice, and that was to get to a secret. The game is a lot of unfulfilled potential. It's like how the game wants to tug on your heart strings with Marin, a character you've talked to probably 3 times over the course of the game and who ceases to matter the moment you "save" her on your way to Turtle Rock. I think I agree with Adrock that the game looks quite nice, but the "toy" art style conflicts badly with the somber, reflective tone the game WANTS to have and never really reaches.

As I said before, I find the overworld annoying to navigate and the dungeons stupidly simple until you reach Dungeons 7 & 8.

I'm glad I finally got through it, but I wish that the devs had added more content here and not just mechanical improvements. It FEELS like a GameBoy game that got a graphical facelift and nothing more. For a game that's achieved something of a legendary status over the years, that's just disappointing. Hell, some extra bonus museum content commemorating the game's history would have been nice.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
I also just finished it.  I actually have a favourite part.  Specifically: the "The End" screen.

I just hated it and will never be playing it again.  I am genuinely amazed, and confused that this game has received so much praise.

The only redeeming facets of the game are the interesting art style and the well designed dungeons but they weren't nearly enough.  I loathed everything else. 

The lesson this remake has taught me is to completely ignore any forthcoming 2D remakes.  They are evidently not made for me.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »
One thing that really helps Link's Awakening's reputation is the context of its release.  When it came out it was only the fourth Zelda game ever made and when the DX version came out Ocarina of Time was the only other Zelda that had come out in that time.  There were no skippable Zeldas in those days.

A Link to the Past's reputation is, I think, pretty self explanatory.  Link's Awakening is essentially a sequel to LttP.  Like not just some scaled down Game Boy Zelda, it actually feels like a sequel with incremental improvements and new ideas that would become part of the Zelda formula (ie: the trade quest debuted in this game).  That was very impressive in 1993.  Remember that the Game Boy is an 8 bit system like the NES but the complexity of LA is nuts compared the original Zelda.  Here you had a Game Boy game that made the NES games look dated and archaic.

And when you have a game that is as well received as LttP, people naturally want more of it and LA was the ideal choice for that for years.  I kind of see it like Mega Man 2 & 3 or Super Mario Bros. 3 and World in that you have two games in a series released back-to-back that have similar gameplay and both of them are so exceptional that it's hard to praise one without comparing it to the other.

At the end of the day is there really ANY Game Boy game that would knock someone dead if they didn't play it at the time?  I feel the system has lots of great games but I play them wanting bite-sized 8 bit 2D titles and being impressed by what devs could achieve with such limited hardware.  Redressing them as a modern title isn't going to fool anyone.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2019, 04:43:18 AM »
One thing that really helps Link's Awakening's reputation is the context of its release.

A Link to the Past's reputation is, I think, pretty self explanatory.  Link's Awakening is essentially a sequel to LttP.

Interesting.  I never knew any of that.  It certainly sheds some light as to why it was lauded so.  Obviously, the circumstances now are very different to when it was released so the appeal that came from all the context is absent.  It seems to be relying heavily on nostalgia and the subsequent rose coloured glasses.  But these things don't make the game objectively better.   To me it seems a questionable decision to spend money to make it at all.

So then, why remake it?  I have a theory.

I actually think this game was made primarily as a mule to carry the new dungeon builder feature.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if Nintendo are very carefully monitoring the response to it and if it's well received I fully expect to see a full Mario Maker style Legend of Zelda: Dungeons game release.

They seem to be quite into the whole 'let the people do it' approach with the two Mario Maker games.  It makes sense, why should Nintendo pay people to design levels/dungeons if they can get the community to pay them to do it instead?  It's easy money.  Then they can take ideas from the higher rated levels to use in their own dungeons they make for future full titles. 

Anyway, It seems ever since Twilight Princess (my favourite game of all time) my experience with the Zelda franchise has been very disappointing.  Based on the teaser, the BotW sequel appears to be drawing elements from TP so hopefully I'll enjoy that.  But if they ruin it I'll be mad as hell lol.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »
Link's Awakening is one of my favorites, but I would put it behind Majora's Mask (and possibly BotW now). But this one was special. It was one of those games I went back to habitually every couple years. It was like a Spring Break from games and a bit of a palate cleanser after playing some heavier games.

I'm a bit conflicted here because I want to play it, but not for $60, especially with how little was added to the base game. The things they added are nice, but in a $40-3DS-remake fashion akin to the OoT and MM remakes. This makes sense since it is coming from Greezo, and I suspect if not for the Switch this would have been a 3DS or 3DS-successor release.

Makes me wonder what will come next. Either the Oracle games or perhaps a LttP remake (kinda hope not)? Maybe we could get that cancelled third game in the Oracle series with better synergy between all three games? Would also be nice to bring back the Four Swords games in a bigger fashion.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2019, 09:56:15 PM »
I also just finished it.  I actually have a favourite part.  Specifically: the "The End" screen.

I just hated it and will never be playing it again.  I am genuinely amazed, and confused that this game has received so much praise.

I've found your reaction pretty fascinating and wonder how many other first time LA players might feel the same way. Heck, when Nintendo unveiled this Switch version, I had my doubts as to whether it was the price tag they were putting on it. It seemed like they were keeping the game pretty much the same as the original but just upgrading the presentation of it by its graphics, music and inventory control.

Personally, I played LA the first time when it was released on the 3DS. I think that perhaps if you had played the game that way or on a Game Boy system of some kind then you'd probably have a greater appreciation for the game and what it was able to accomplish based on the hardware it came from. Plus, the price point would be a lot better. Although a lot of the special moments of the game had been spoiled a bit by others talking about it over the years before I played it myself, I still walked away having enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't think it was the greatest Zelda game I'd played compared to others who will list it as their top Zelda game. I've never understood that. So, I do think it can be overpraised at times. However, I think it does hold up pretty well when compared to the new entries in the series.

I also think the Switch version is giving off the wrong vibe. It's the first Zelda game to be greatly overhauled graphically for a modern system. It gives the appearance of a remake but really it is just a remaster. Much like how OoT and MM were remastered a bit for the 3DS and WW and TP were remastered for Wii U. LA for Switch has always come across as more of a remaster than remake. When I think of a remake then I'm thinking of Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid 2: Samus Returns. Those are games that added a lot of new content beyond just updating the presentation. To just remaster LA and have it follow BotW is a very odd choice to me. I'm curious as to what the majority opinion of this game will end up being in a couple years time from now. You'd think Nintendo may have wanted to put more content in to the game via story or new areas to explore in order to make the game fare a bit better to possible BotW comparisons. Yet, maybe they figured it wasn't worth it for a 20-something year old game that a lot of people had already played and beaten. Compared to remaking a Metroid game on a handheld with 2D levels, revamping LA on Switch with HD graphics may have seemed a more costly endeavor. However, it is more from the fact that they probably didn't want to deal with much backlash from fans who really do consider this the best Zelda game and might be angry at revamping this particular adventure. Metroid 1 and Metroid 2 aren't as highly regarded as Super Metroid or the Prime series so there was more freedom to remake those titles as they were sort of becoming obsolete based on new entries and better gaming technology anyways.

Just some thoughts in my head I've had since seeing your reaction.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2019, 12:03:25 AM »
I don't think there was as much that needed changing about Link's Awakening compared to the first two Metroid games. The one real drawback of the original (or at least of the DX version) is the lack of buttons that let to constant item switching, and the Switch version improved on that a lot. Other than that the game held up pretty well, and trying to add things could have easily backfired. Charging $60 for a few tweaks and a graphical overhaul was a bit much, but hell, I still paid it, and so did a lot of people, so they were probably smart to do so.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2019, 12:50:19 AM »
Well Nintendo could have easily given us the original game and then a New game Plus.  Or like the DX version given a new dungeon or 2.  That shouldn't of backfired at all.  They also could have fleshed out that dungeon making mini game, like having ways of finding new original hidden tiles in the game to add to the game.  Or even a 2 player mode or something to add to the package.  I know Nintendo spent money making this game as good as they could make it, but still this seems overly priced.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2019, 01:56:08 AM »
Regarding the price for this game, it kind of reveals a bit of an issue with the Switch's hybrid design.  Last gen a game like this would have probably been a 3DS game and thus not cost $60 like a Wii U game would have.  There is the perception that handheld games are not as complex as console titles and thus have a lower price point.  Nintendo needs to acknowledge that they probably need two price points based on the complexity of the game.  I love the 3DS and don't want the kinds of games that would appear on it to disappear but it doesn't seem right for them to cost the same as something like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 03:53:34 AM »
Well Nintendo could have easily given us the original game and then a New game Plus.  Or like the DX version given a new dungeon or 2.  That shouldn't of backfired at all.  They also could have fleshed out that dungeon making mini game, like having ways of finding new original hidden tiles in the game to add to the game.  Or even a 2 player mode or something to add to the package.  I know Nintendo spent money making this game as good as they could make it, but still this seems overly priced.

Yeah, I suppose a Master Quest-style second quest would have been a nice way to add to it without messing with the original too much.

Regarding the price for this game, it kind of reveals a bit of an issue with the Switch's hybrid design.  Last gen a game like this would have probably been a 3DS game and thus not cost $60 like a Wii U game would have.  There is the perception that handheld games are not as complex as console titles and thus have a lower price point.  Nintendo needs to acknowledge that they probably need two price points based on the complexity of the game.  I love the 3DS and don't want the kinds of games that would appear on it to disappear but it doesn't seem right for them to cost the same as something like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey.

This isn't really a new phenomenon, New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold for $50 when it probably could have been done on the DS where it would have sold for $15 less. I'd love to see more price variance, but it seems like this sold pretty well, so they're probably going to take that as a sign that they can get away with charging full price for things like this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »

Man, all good suggestions here.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
Random question for the technologically inclined: do we know if Link's Awakening Remake utilises the same engine as the upcoming Animal Crossing game?
Perspective-wise they share some similarities, although the Animal Crossing camera is more zoomed-in, and the world of Link's Awakening doesn't have that spherical scrolling going on.

Wouldn't surprise me if they have different engines, both evolved from their 3DS predecessors (New Leaf & Link Between Worlds), but it would've been efficient if both are built on a similar foundation. Things like camera viewpoints are pretty easy to change, you'd think.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
Random question for the technologically inclined: do we know if Link's Awakening Remake utilises the same engine as the upcoming Animal Crossing game?
This Link's Awakening remake was developed by Grezzo so I think any similarities you mention are purely coincidental. They also made Tri Force Heroes which seemed to be spun off of the Link Between Worlds engine, so Link's Awakening may have also used that for its foundation.