Author Topic: Futurama to pull a Family Guy?  (Read 40466 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Futurama to pull a Family Guy?
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
I can forgive the whole awkward Fry/Leela relationship because they wrote themselves into that whole thing when they weren't sure if they would ever make any more episodes.  Things like the fucking singing boyle are just plain awful, however.

Out of curiosity, you do know who Susan Boyle is though right?
I do know who she is and it doesn't really make the joke any less horrible :P Futurama has always had pop culture references in it but usually they don't slap you across the face with them.  Not only that but it was completely...I don't know...inappropriate I guess would be the right word.  The episode about the Eye Phone was also a little too blatant for me but at least it made sense in that it was futuristic technology.  The whole Susan Boyle thing was stupid enough when it was happening in real life; it really didn't need to be forced into the show.  Susan Boyle seems more like the type of person South Park should target, not Futurama.
Oh, I agree, but I was just wondering if you knew the reference or if your hatred from the joke was just cause it was bad.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2010, 07:13:52 PM »
If you don't find Futurama's writing clever, what do you find clever?
Hm, nothing much comes to mind. The earlier seasons of The Simpsons. That's about all I can think of offhand. I don't like Family Guy, for the most part I just find it to be loud and obnoxious.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a telly watcher. So I certainly wouldn't claim to be any sort of critic for shows. I just watch a few "casual" programs, where the episodes are self-contained and you don't need to watch every week/episode.

I think you would like episode 408 "Godfellas". For some reason, I think it would appeal to you over any other.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2010, 07:54:32 PM »
Just saw the episode where Bender floats endlessly through space and raises a civilization on his body.  One of my favorites.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »
Just saw the episode where the gang witnesses robots evolve on another planet.  You know, the most recent one.  It was terrible, and made worse by the fact that it was an interesting concept that could have worked back when the writers were actually good.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2010, 08:51:43 PM »
I fell asleep during the midnight replay (I was tired), I watch TNA Impact! and that's why I didn't see the first airing. Guess I will have to watch the replay on Sunday night. From what I did see, I thought it was a good episode. I loved how they slammed the ridiculous claims that creationists try to make when they try to deny evolution.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2010, 12:06:28 AM »
Yeah the robot evolution episode just seems like a rush job.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2010, 02:43:54 AM »
I thought the last one was one of the stronger ones this season.  I lost it when the robo-dinosaurs attacked Fry.  And it stayed solid all the way to the end, unlike some other episodes.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2010, 04:26:29 AM »
I know this is a stupid thing to bitch about, but I'm gonna do it anyway.  Gotta live up to that PGC slogan!  Could they REALLY not keep the Earth's flipped rotation through to the very next episode?

I did really enjoy the robo-dinosaurs though.  In fact I think I wanted the whole episode to be robo-dinosaurs battling each other.  It's true, I never developed mentally after 12.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
Did the rotation even come up in that episode?

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2010, 08:31:01 PM »
No it did not.  I think what really bothers me is that I always had this perception of Futrama as one of the few shows that didn't just "reset" at the end.  Things changed, people and their relationships changed throughout the series, and although most episodes are standalone adventures, if you saw past episodes you could see how some things led to current situations and maybe "get" the universe a little better.

It just seems to me that they don't really care about that stuff anymore and are just gonna do whatever they want to the characters and ignore it the very next week.  Maybe it's my fault for having that perception of the show in the first place, and it was always like this, but I certainly don't remember it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:33:31 PM by Maverick »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
after the long ass break they've had between new episodes, I can see why they don't bother.
most of the general audience wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
But the whole point was that the planet spinning the other way was good enough for everything to go back to normal.  Don't get me wrong, the entire plot of that episode would make a real physicist cry, but continuity-wise it was fine.  I wouldn't expect anything to come of it other than an occasional reference, like how "ax a question" has been used since the first season, including this new one, incidentally.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
It would have been nice if they explained it (like the Professor just making a comment that someone had fixed it), it's not like something they wouldn't the have to show (like how the Earth now had a extra week per year due to the robots farting and pushing the Earth's orbit a little).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2010, 06:08:06 AM »
Body switching ep was pretty good overall.  All Fry and Leela pseudo-dating aside.  Mop Bucket and Scruffy was the best part.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »
I do not need to ever see "Zoidberg" and the "Professor" making out again. I wonder how they would be happy with sex they had in those bodies, especially for Fry since Leela was in the professors body.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/comedy-central-renews-futurama-with-26-episode-order/
That's pretty good for a second lease on life: Comedy Central is finalizing a deal for a 26-episode seventh-season pickup of Futurama. Comedy Central resurrected Matt Groening and David X. Cohen's animated sci-fi comedy in 2009, six years after it was cancelled by Fox, with a 26-episode sixth-season order. The first batch of 13 episodes from Season 6 averaged 2.5 million viewers, with the remaining 13 airing this summer. The 26 newly ordered episodes will follow the same pattern, airing in two installments of 13 episodes in 2012 and 2013. Futurama has been a big hit online, growing from 1 million Facebook fans at its launch on Comedy Central to 11 million.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
I was wondering why the season was so short... I thought they got cancelled again.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »
Great news!

While I really enjoyed the new episodes quite a few of them felt like they were cramming too much into a half-hour time slot.  I feel like they needed time to get used to no longer doing movies.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2011, 02:30:12 AM »
Why didn't anyway tell me Futurama had a christmas special last year?!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
So I just found something that is sure to blow the mind of every Futurama fan.

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/tag/countdown-to-futurama/

Just click the link.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
Haven't they already done that in an episode?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
No, I don't think so. The episode you maybe thinking of is the Titanic one where Fry is both Leela's and Amy's fake boyfriend.

Here's a preview of an upcoming episode. Looks hilarious.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=383471&title=preview---scratchy-beards-and-strip-clubs