Author Topic: Griptonite Chief: Treat the 3DS Like a Console  (Read 3309 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Griptonite Chief: Treat the 3DS Like a Console
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »

Griptonite's studio head gives his thoughts on the type of software we'll see on the 3DS.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23643

In an interview with Gamasutra, Griptonite Games studio head JC Connors stated that developers should treat development on Nintendo 3DS just as they would on a home console, as opposed to the type of development often seen on previous Nintendo handhelds.

Connors explained, "You almost have to treat it like a console, because many of the things it can do are things that consoles can do. So, you know, why not bring a more 'gamer' experience to that platform, if it can do really well with it?"

He stated that the emergence of the iPhone as a casual gaming platform means that a gaming handheld like the 3DS can focus more on traditional games, adding that the inclusion of an analog stick on the 3DS means that more traditional control schemes will allow for more traditional gaming experiences.

The full interview with JC Connors is available at Gamasutra.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Griptonite Chief: Treat the 3DS Like a Console
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
And of course, you know, the hardware is powerful enough now, unlike the original DS, which was sort of like the Nintendo 64, where you were always limited. The gloves are off with this piece of hardware. You can actually really push it and do things that some of the next-gen consoles are doing. So, for art, it was absolutely a big reset.

Yay, 3DS is doing things that the PS4, Xbox720, Wii2 are doing!!!

seriously though, how far into this current gen do we need to get before we start calling the current the current gen and not next-gen? we are 4-5 years in now depending on which console you are referring to, I think we've passed the point of calling PS3/Xbox360 next-gen.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »
I've always considered the term "next-gen" to be rather meaningless for that reason, BNM. I also disagree that the 3DS will be "treated like a console". I'm sure we'll see console-like games on the system (and we did for the DS, too). But treating a handheld like a console is sort of what got the PSP in trouble. Portable games need to be convenient for on-the-go gaming, and we will most certainly see games of all sizes and shapes on 3DS. Nintendo has already made that clear by showing Nintendogs + Cats.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
I think he meant publishers should put the effort and quality into 3DS games that they would for console games. A lot of times publishers will not put their top development teams on portable games.

As for the PSP, I sorta agree. A lot of PSP games seemed like PS2 games, just not as good looking. Stuff like long loading times and cutscenes 5+ minutes long (Metal Gear, for example) are not acceptable on a portable system.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Tennindo

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
The 3DS is still yet to be really seen tbh. Yes we see cutscenes n screenshots of games on 3DS but right now Id say we cnt treat it like a home console. yes I understand its a powerful lil gizmo but I think it should still be treated as a handheld.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »
I've always considered the term "next-gen" to be rather meaningless for that reason, BNM. I also disagree that the 3DS will be "treated like a console". I'm sure we'll see console-like games on the system (and we did for the DS, too). But treating a handheld like a console is sort of what got the PSP in trouble. Portable games need to be convenient for on-the-go gaming, and we will most certainly see games of all sizes and shapes on 3DS. Nintendo has already made that clear by showing Nintendogs + Cats.

yeah, i stop using the term next gen as soon as it comes out. In the n64 days i had a website called NextGenWars, when Gamecube came out it sort of put a damper on the whole next-gen wars concept.

although, maybe he did a slip and he is aware of future consoles
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:48:58 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »
I'm sure we'll see console-like games on the system (and we did for the DS, too). But treating a handheld like a console is sort of what got the PSP in trouble. Portable games need to be convenient for on-the-go gaming.....

Nail on the head brutha, look at The latest outing of the game franchise TJ is refering to, MGS Peace Walker, tight game tat would have sold gang busters on PS3, but it's not fit for"on-the-go" gaming.

I think he meant publishers should put the effort and quality into 3DS games that they would for console games. A lot of times publishers will not put their top development teams on portable games.

Great point but you might be able to find that argument with all the platforms we have out there. Games developed for 360 then ported to PS3 so they "look" the same, the 3DS having the power it has but were getting N64 games for launch, 360's software integration not being taken advantage of, the look and feel of SMG2, Metroid Prime 3, and Epic Yarn is achievable but 3rd parties BLAH BLAH BLAH.

If publishers/developers have games like Okami-den(worthy of console release) but can give me a save any time feature and a story that's good but simple enough that a week later I'm not dumbfounded(that's easier tan you think for me), then I'm all aboard.
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
I hope Nintendo introduces auto-save states for all 3DS games, that would be nice.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
I also disagree that the 3DS will be "treated like a console". I'm sure we'll see console-like games on the system (and we did for the DS, too). But treating a handheld like a console is sort of what got the PSP in trouble. Portable games need to be convenient for on-the-go gaming, and we will most certainly see games of all sizes and shapes on 3DS.

Couldn't agree more. [applauds]

The amount of time it takes from starting a game to playing it needs to be much smaller in a handheld title, and the satisfaction has to be achieved quicker as well.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
I also disagree that the 3DS will be "treated like a console". I'm sure we'll see console-like games on the system (and we did for the DS, too). But treating a handheld like a console is sort of what got the PSP in trouble. Portable games need to be convenient for on-the-go gaming, and we will most certainly see games of all sizes and shapes on 3DS.

Couldn't agree more. [applauds]

The amount of time it takes from starting a game to playing it needs to be much smaller in a handheld title, and the satisfaction has to be achieved quicker as well.

Are you making a case for achievements on a handheld?
I think it would be a good idea.

Jump in and jump out gaming on the go.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
If they want me to treat the 3DS like a console, they should make it one.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »
"The amount of time it takes from starting a game to playing it needs to be much smaller in a handheld title, and the satisfaction has to be achieved quicker as well."

Explain that to the top sellers like DQ9 :0.  While it's true for some gamers that can only squeeze off a few minutes here and there but there's plenty of handheld gamers more than willing to sit down for the long haul.  With the current generation (DS/PSP) both have a sleeper mode which enables you to pause the game at any time so I don't see the need to market the handhelds to simple mini-games. 

And while Nintendo does have Catz and Dogs coming out, it's also publishing Zelda OOT remake and PaperMario neither of them in in the category of "quick fix".

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 10:35:53 PM »
"The amount of time it takes from starting a game to playing it needs to be much smaller in a handheld title, and the satisfaction has to be achieved quicker as well."

Explain that to the top sellers like DQ9 :0.  While it's true for some gamers that can only squeeze off a few minutes here and there but there's plenty of handheld gamers more than willing to sit down for the long haul.  With the current generation (DS/PSP) both have a sleeper mode which enables you to pause the game at any time so I don't see the need to market the handhelds to simple mini-games. 

And while Nintendo does have Catz and Dogs coming out, it's also publishing Zelda OOT remake and PaperMario neither of them in in the category of "quick fix".

Right right, they don't need to be quick games but quick for us to get in and get out. I have 80+ hours in Pokemon HG/SS, nothing quick about that, but I can stop real quick save my game and jump back in to it for another 3hour "long haul".......
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 11:40:59 PM »
Right right, they don't need to be quick games but quick for us to get in and get out. I have 80+ hours in Pokemon HG/SS, nothing quick about that, but I can stop real quick save my game and jump back in to it for another 3hour "long haul".......

This. I'm not familiar with Dragon Quest in terms of playing it, but I have spent a lot of time with Pokémon. That game is a huge time sink, but it benefits from being able to jump into the game real quick (after the initial set up) to grind or whatever the current task is at hand.

My comment was not that handhelds need to be small games, but that they benefit from being the type that can be started and played quickly if needed (not finished, but enjoyable from when you start to play). For example, when I was in college, my DS got a lot of use from the ten minute breaks I would sometimes have, and I would typically play Pokémon and Advance Wars. Those games are long, but they were ones that allowed for the player to start and stop when needed and were fun to play in even small spurts even if it was working toward a longer drawn goal.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk