Poll

Which game should the RFN crew and listeners play and discuss together?

Wario Land 3 (GBC)
15 (27.3%)
Mario Tennis: Power Tour (GBA)
1 (1.8%)
Perfect Dark (N64)
10 (18.2%)
Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
20 (36.4%)
Hotel Dusk (DS)
9 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: January 19, 2011, 06:33:14 PM

Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #16 Poll - Second Chance Edition!  (Read 16982 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RFN RetroActive #16 Poll - Second Chance Edition!
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
*IMPORTANT: Voting is only open for one week this time. Please submit your vote by Thursday, January 20.

All five of these games came in second-place in a previous RetroActive poll (there was a tie for second in the N64 round).

Feel free to use this thread to lobby for your favorite game. Users are free to change their votes at any time, but results will not be visible until the poll ends.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #16 Poll - Second Chance Edition!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
From that list, definitely Ogre Battle 64.  It's the most accessible game in the series, is actually on the Virtual Console, and it's a real overlooked gem on the N64 due to its genre and the low production number.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
I wouldn't mind that. Not only is it the easiest to obtain, it was overlooked when it came out and I would like to try it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
It seems like a lot of these games are the ones I voted for the first time around.  So which to vote for?  Wario Land 3 - I could be the only dissenter and talk about all the problems I have with the game.  Perfect Dark - one of the few FPSs I really enjoy.  Mario Tennis and Hotel Dusk - haven't played either, wouldn't mind trying them.  But I'm going to vote for Ogre Battle for the same reason as I did before.  I need to get this game off my Lindy List.  I bought the game years ago and I've technically played it, but only maybe an hour or so.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »
You do realize that by getting it off of your Lindy list, you're putting it on mine, right?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:37:15 AM »
I'll go with Ogre Battle here. Might be nice to finally play it and then hear the boys talk about it for an hour or so.  :D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »
Am I allowed Wario Land to use subliminal messaging to persuade other readers Wario Land to vote for the game I want?

It should be quite self-explanatory. Perhaps Wario Land the third platformer of the plumber's doppelganger.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:10:50 AM »
This looks like a poll where OB64 stands a pretty good chance of winning. I never finished the game when I picked up the n64 copy a year or so ago so I definitely want to go back and finish it.

I could see a new version working out pretty well on Wii. IP pointer controls would be a lot better than the control stick.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
I'm obligated to vote for my favorite Game Boy / Game Boy Color game, Wario Land 3. Puzzle-platforming with a dash of Metroid. You gonna love it!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »
With Ogre Battle 2 (Tactics Ogre) just remade for PSP, there may yet be hope for a new Ogre Battle game or at least an update to the third one (64).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
Meh, out of those choices none look appealing to me.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
Meh, out of those choices none look appealing to me.

Same here--quite strange in fact.  I guess all my choices either won their polls or lost by a lot.

Out of curiosity, which of these games have previously been played by RFNers?  I know James has played OB64 and I'm pretty sure everyone's familiar with Perfect Dark.  I'd rather pick a game that no one has previously played.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
I haven't played Ogre Battle 64, I've LIVED Ogre Battle 64.

I still know exactly how to replicate the infinite item glitch.

QUICK! USE HERO STATUES TO MAKE EVERYONE MAX-LEVEL!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 06:10:33 PM »
I'm not quite sure if I'll participate or not. I never got around to the last one even though it was a game I own and like, so I don't know if I'll be motivated for this one either. So I might vote for Orge Battle 64 since it seems to be the popular choice so far, but if I were to play along then I'd pick Wario Land 3. Though I can probably predict all of the problems that Gojira would mention, since it's a strange game and I can see why someone wouldn't like it.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
If Ogre Battle 64 wins, will that be the first time Retroactive lasts 3 episodes?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 08:04:29 PM »
With Ogre Battle 2 (Tactics Ogre) just remade for PSP, there may yet be hope for a new Ogre Battle game or at least an update to the third one (64).

I am hoping that the PSP game gets ported to the 3DS. Also, I prefer the isometric Final Fantasy Tactics style games of the series. Why have they not put the original Tactics Ogre from the SNES on virtual console?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »
They have, in Japan. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together came out out in Japan in February 2009 on VC. Considering that the original game never was released outside of Japan (until the game was released on PSP), there is very little chance of other regions getting it on VC.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
Voted for Hotel Dusk out of curiosity because the art style intrigues me, and the gameplay looks like it might be a more fleshed out version of Ace Attorney's non-courtroom sections.  From the comments so far, it looks like it'll be beat either by WarioLand or Ogre Battle.

I'd be OK with either of those options as well, because they're both critically acclaimed games that I haven't played yet.

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
I'm going to repost a post I made back in the thread for the N64 Retroactive poll as it addresses both Ogre Battle and Perfect Dark and I think it's still relevant:

Honestly, voting for Ogre Battle 64 immediately after we just did Mother 3 is a terrible idea. The game is great and I'd recommend it to any fan of SRPGs, but I'm over 25 hours in and the story certainly does not look to be wrapping itself up anytime soon. As with most SRPGs it is one hell of a lengthy game, and compared to others I've played like Fire Emblem and Shining Force, I would say Ogre Battle 64 is significantly more complex, at least when it comes to preparing for a battle. Because there's so much to prepare and doing so can take a significant amount of time, the game feels very slow, slower than your average SRPG, and since story scenes do not necessarily occur at the end of every battle, attempting to play this game with a deadline, even over several weeks, would be a total slog.

My vote goes to Perfect Dark, and one of the things I appreciate most about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark is the way they are designed to be both instantly accessible for quick, arcadey multiplayer sessions, whilst the single player is actually a fair length and with the difficulty levels can be played in depth with a lot of replay value. It seems to me like there'd be a great deal to discuss in an interesting way as there are so many ways of experiencing the game, within both multiplayer and singleplayer modes. In contrast a discussion of Ogre Battle could very easily become bogged down in discussions concerning classes, unit formations etc., which wouldn't make compelling listening for me at any rate.

The tl;dr version is basically that I don't think all those voting for Ogre Battle have actually considered the resulting conversation we'll get out of the game. Perfect Dark pretty much guarantees an interesting conversation because there's so much to discuss. Ogre Battle is so inaccessible, long and repetitive that the resulting discussion could easily end up devolving into discussing technical strategies and tactics etc, which I personally wouldn't want. The story is decent from the 35 hours I've played but even now it feels like its a long way away from getting interesting like the story in the Fire Emblem games, and there's not much to say about it except that the choices it gives sometimes are pretty cool.

The other factor, for me anyway, is that as a PAL gamer I don't have access to Ogre Battle on my N64. Perfect Dark on the other hand is sitting on my shelf and I could do with an excuse to pick it back up and finally finish the single player.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
I don't think all those voting for Ogre Battle have actually considered the resulting conversation we'll get out of the game. Perfect Dark pretty much guarantees an interesting conversation because there's so much to discuss. Ogre Battle is so inaccessible, long and repetitive that the resulting discussion could easily end up devolving into discussing technical strategies and tactics etc, which I personally wouldn't want.

The other factor, for me anyway, is that as a PAL gamer I don't have access to Ogre Battle on my N64.
These are some good points. I'd vote for Perfect Dark if I thought it had a chance, because I think there's a lot of interesting topics, not just within the game itself, but also in comparison to modern shooters. Right now though, I'm leaning toward Wario Land 3, but I'll give it a few more days and see what happens.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »

Is there any way I can change my vote? I didn't consider that voting for OB 64 meant I would have to listen to James talk about OB 64.

;)
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 11:24:32 PM »

Is there any way I can change my vote? I didn't consider that voting for OB 64 meant I would have to listen to James talk about OB 64.

;)
This.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
Everyone is able to change a vote right up until the poll ends.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 01:00:12 AM »
I hope that Perfet Dark wins the nomination beause it is easier to get into than OB 64 and everyone knows how I feel about Rare games. ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »
I hope that Perfet Dark wins the nomination beause it is easier to get into than OB 64 and everyone knows how I feel about Rare games. ;)

On the flipside, I hope that Perfect Dark does not.  If OB64 talk would come down largely to discussion of tactics and whatnot, then Perfect Dark talk would pretty much come down to the relative lame-ness of the singleplayer and how much everyone played the multiplayer.  That game gets more than enough love and conversation, even if it is somewhat overshadowed by Goldeneye.  Ogre Battle 64, unlike Perfect Dark, is a game most people probably haven't actually played, and it's pretty much the only game on this list easily obtainable.  You can't even play Perfect Dark on a Nintendo system anymore unless you have an N64 lying around.  Plus, OB64 looks gorgeous on the Wii's component connection.   :P: : :
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:04:42 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.