Author Topic: Everything about Windows sucks  (Read 15742 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Everything about Windows sucks
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
HOY RAB,

I'm going to name my NintenCat, "Dominator".  Do you approve?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
My ATi card has been great (HD 5670), and I let Steam handle all the updating since it automatically detected my card and automatically found and installed all the correct drivers.

But your problem was definitely NOT Windows. That seemed to be almost 100% user error on your part.
I assume it was your first PC build and things can be a little confusing at times, especially when things go wrong, but you learn from your mistakes and move forward.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
.. Steam did your drivers? Well that sounds good cos I hated their website with three separate driver installation downloads and me all lost. That resolve two o my initial questions at the start of this thread before everything went totally fucked. I still stand by my comments on IE and unified menus. Looking further into the defaults issue, while I had set Opera as default for everything, it would seem there were a handful of obscure runtimes for opening urls that only IE could handle. Like a special retarded command string that Opera didn't want to concern itself with. It wasn't really a big deal, jsut pissed me off.

Also Pro, I dunno if dominator works too well for a cat name in general since they're more like silent assassins but in the case of Nintencats, who will be fluffy and adorable and never grow out of being kittins, Dominator would be a fantastic ironic name. Watch him dominate that yarn!

And finally, ATi drivers really do suck. I can't find anywhere to force my monitor to adopt a 4:3 resolution for order games that only support it. I could do with when I was running windows through my macbook with it's Nvidia drivers. It was cool, I even had edgescrolling for larger than my screen vertical resolutions. I can probably do this through the controls on the front of my monitor but **** that too. When I say I can't anywhere I mean I went to the ATi help thing and it told me what box to tick under what tab, except that I went there and the box ddn't exist.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:44:33 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 03:28:33 PM »
whats your video card?

and steam handled my drivers beautifully.
I've had 2 games that didn't look right after installing, so I had steam update my drivers and everything is all good now. no need to wonder if I'm doing it right or chose the right driver nor the right version of the driver or anything.

Also my ATi card came with a program called Catalyst that also handles the drivers itself just like Steam, but Steam was more straight forward, so I just use that instead.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »
You should try XP Pro Black edition. It's a pirated version that is completely streamlined and "light" but built in with the programs you actually need (such as codecs) and several links to free programs you may want.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »
The bad thing about building your own PC is that you are forced to either buy OS upgrades, or if you pirate them, play the cat and mouse game every so often. With a retail PC (Dell, Gateway, ASUS, etc), it's pretty simple to get the latest version of Windows for free, and not have to use a blacklisted key or anything, since it's technically legit.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
It's all happening again! I was playing mass effect adn then went up to get juice from teh fridge, I return to find my computer struggling, already crashed. I tinker with the monitor it powers up again, restarting itself. Opt to start windows normally, some **** comes up during the welcome screen. Try again, explorer crashes right on loading.

It's not checking the file system.

"Windows must now restart because the DCOM service has stopped working" It hinkt hat's what teh screen just said.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:01:20 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
Is your video card nice and tightly installed? Do you use a DVI cable, and if so, is it also nice and secure and free of any shorts? I know on some video cards at least, if there's a short or something in the video cable that can crash the computer, but it wouldn't cause any of your other problems. Is you power supply good enough for everything you have hooked up? Remember that just going by wattage doesn't mean much, you need to check the current on the 12v and 5v rails and make sure they are good enough for your video card, HDDs, DVD-ROMs, etc. It could potentially be defective RAM too. I would bet money that the issue is not simply Windows, but it's an easy scapegoat because it's the operating system.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
also turn off all power saving features
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
I just bought a refurbished laptop with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 installed.

I went to Windows Update and found 91 high-priority updates.  Ninety one.

After those installed there was one new high-priority update.  After that one there were 12 more high-priority updates.

Then there were 9 optional updates available--one of which needed to be downloaded and installed by itself.

Then there were 12 brand new high-priority updates available.  Finally, there was one more high-priority update that I needed to install after all that.

I was amazed by the sheer insanity of it all.  Took damn near 2 hours to download and install all of them.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
.NET is a bitch with the updates.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
After installing a few basic programs I decided to check Windows update again.  There was another frigging high-priority update available.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »
i hate windows so much so so much, that being said windows 7 is pretty alright( my super nerdy hacktastic friends swear by it), still though ubuntu 10.10 for the win for me,

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
I guess they should have just made a Service Pack 4. That's 127 updates, how many could you actually need?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
That is a lot. I think there are like 12 updates a month, so it's weird they had several years worth of updates basically.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
hmm i need to check out new ubuntu
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
Whoa, Windows is *BAD*, but with the gut retching amount of errors it has to be hardware. How long did you take to assemble it? because it sounds like you threw the parts into the box and shook it like a bag of kittens. About your RAM, doesn't that come in pairs therefore slotted in pairs, usually in color matching slots... also home versions suck horse lengths.

I love the streamlined versions of windows. I run an XP64 pro version and only play games on it, so I don't run anti anything on it and don't browse with it either. It's sacrificial, contains no critical info, basically an Xbox without the X.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 10:55:23 AM »
Two things from this thread that make me laugh:

(1) The OP thinking that everything about Windows sucks, when his posts make it pretty clear that Windows isn't the root of his problems. As someone who has helped with basic tech stuff at work over the years, I've experienced nothing worse than a Mac guy who thinks he knows computers trying to setup and run anything on a PC.  Always ends in disaster, with the guy causing problems adamant that it's not his fault despite the fact that nobody else has issues.  (Sorry man... calling it the way I see it.)

(2) Regarding numerous Windows updates, totally made me think of playing PS3.  Frankly, this is why I don't want home consoles to be more like PCs - it's a pain in the ass to keep everything up to date.
NNID: ejamer

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »
Don't knock a Mac guy too much. He usually comes from a world where things just work and hassle is down to a minimum. the price you pay for the lack of adversity is a higher price tag and more things become black boxes to the user. So when one of them decides to open one of those black boxes, this thread happened.

Me being a hybrid Mac/PC background, makes me far more flexible, it's like learning a second language and your better for it. Rabicle will eventually get a handle on things assuming no magic smoke is produced and will become a better, more powerful user.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
I finally got around to installing Office on my "new" laptop.  2 high-priority updates.  Then another 19 more.  Then 21 more after that.  Then finally 6 optional updates.  WTF

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
I was thinking about making the switch to Windows 7 from XP because they came out with the ever impressive "Black" version (i.e. the stripped of its bullshit and preloaded with programs you actually need version).

Anybody think 7 isn't worth the switch?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
Upgrade. I loved Windows XP, but Windows 7 is so much better.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
Upgrade. I loved Windows XP, but Windows 7 is so much better.
^ this man speaks the truth.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »
Windows 7 realizes the dream that MS tried to sell with Vista.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
Anybody think 7 isn't worth the switch?

Windows 7 is easily the best product Microsoft has ever put out. Even with XP, it really wasn't worth using until after Service Pack 1. That isn't the case with Win7. Hell, it was rock solid even as a release candidate. Then again, Vista did provide a pretty large amount of feedback and ultimately forced improvement.

To be clear, there is absolutely no reason to still be using XP. Windows 7 blows it away.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality