Author Topic: Wii Virtual Console Titles Not Playable on GamePad  (Read 14931 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii Virtual Console Titles Not Playable on GamePad
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »
Fanboys don't understand logic.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 11:34:20 PM »
Well, there is the example of the 3DS Ambassador rollout, where non-frilled versions of classic games were quasi-beta released and later upgraded to the enhanced versions. So it might be possible that Nintendo will gradually re-release WiiU compatible Virtual Console titles to the eShop and allow owners of the previous version to overwrite.

Offline thedefalcos

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »
Now hang on a minute, guys.  Let's talk this out:

Wasn't it the case that the Gamepad had a sensor bar built into it? I thought that was feature showcased for Just Dance 4. Or am I imagining things... If it IS the case that there's a sensor bar, then it really is crazy that the gamepad wouldn't support Wiiware/VC transfers since it doesn't have to map anything. It would be just acting as an extra screen with a sensor bar.

However, if it doesn't have that censor bar feature, then that would be a shame for some of you who have dozens of digital games. I only have about a half dozen, all of which I have played to death so not a big loss for me to not be able to use the gamepad.

Here's where I hope the rep is absolutely wrong: you have to have BOTH SYSTEMS PRESENT? What?? I was planning on selling my Wii to pay for new games. But, I wanted to keep my SD card with my VC games on it. Now I have to wait until after I buy the WiiU to sell it? I want my launch day games dammit!

Whatever happens, the average customer is going to be confused as hell when it's explained to them that they have to have both systems present and they can't play their VC games on the gamepad unless they rebuy the SAME GAMES to get the WiiU version.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »
I actually assumed you would need to have the Wii present to transfer games, just like you do for DSi and 3DS transfers. It also helps make sure people don't give their Wii to someone with VC games, then copy them to their Wii U. And I don't think it will be confusing, people didn't get confused by having to have two Xbox 360's to transfer content from the old HDD's to the slim one (and in that case, Microsoft even charged you for a cable..
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »
I wanted nothing more from virtual console going forward than the ability to play them on that gamepad screen.  Here's hoping it's only a temporary situation or a misunderstanding of the question on the part of the Nintendo representative.  I never had an expectation of Wii games on the screen, but I would think an emulator wouldn't be too much trouble to mirror to the pad screen, but what do I know?

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 05:44:20 AM »
V disappointing.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »
So what are the odds that this functionality comes down in a system update?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 07:00:02 AM »
So what are the odds that this functionality comes down in a system update?

NFR 4.5 talk here, but if they don't even have an emulator written for the Wii U I wouldn't expect one.  Remember that the emulator is packed-in with every downloaded copy of the game, so even if they DID issue a firmware update to allow this functionality they'd have to force you to redownload all your VC and WiiWare titles.  But considering at that point they might as well just allow you to play Wii games on the thing, I doubt that would happen.  Sales would REALLY have to tank because of this to make Nintendo budge now that they're committed.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »
Laziness. Pure & simple.
Gouge away.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »
Maybe I'm giving them to much credit but whose to say that they haven't started the process of making new emulators a few months ago.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »
This is by far the most disappointing thing to me.  I loved the idea of my wife being able to watch tv while I used the gamepad to play wiiware/virtual console games.  As everyone here has already said, it seems crazy that they would neglect to offer something that seems so simple and obvious.

This hasn't changed my plans to purchase it, but it does make me reconsider if I should bother transferring my virtual console library to Wii U.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
"In an interview with Nintendo of America, they stated that the Virtual Console transfer process was not confirmed to be available at launch..."

Is that a typo? I thought it WAS confirmed for launch...

No it's not. We'll have the full interview up later, but from our interview, there was not a confirmation of it being at launch. It could very well be there (and I guess it will in Japan?), but the NoA rep we spoke to did not confirm it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Eyothrie

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »
So is every future Nintendo console after the Wii U going to have a "Wii mode"?  I assume not, so Nintendo will have to come up with a solution if they want the Virtual Console to exist beyond the Wii U
RTR!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
So is every future Nintendo console after the Wii U going to have a "Wii mode"?  I assume not, so Nintendo will have to come up with a solution if they want the Virtual Console to exist beyond the Wii U

I think Nintendo's crossing that bridge when they get to it, as history has shown that they really don't seem to know what to do with the service. They're not exactly a good company at planning ahead.

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
I'm also really disappointed by this.  Playing virtual console games on the gamepad anywhere in my house was one of the features I was looking forward to.  When they talked about being able to play a game on the Gamepad while other people watch something on TV - I did NOT assume they only meant WiiU software.  Bummertown.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
Really I thought Nintendo had figured this out.  I figured they'd be announcing GameCube joining the Virtual Console along with everything getting the enhancements seen in 3DS (proper save state support!).  Instead they can't confirm it's at available at launch.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
I'm also really disappointed by this.  Playing virtual console games on the gamepad anywhere in my house was one of the features I was looking forward to.  When they talked about being able to play a game on the Gamepad while other people watch something on TV - I did NOT assume they only meant WiiU software.  Bummertown.

"The Wii U GamePad: strong enough to play Assassin's Creed 3. Too weak to play Super Mario Bros. Pre-Order Today!"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:52:06 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »
Frankly BC is never very high on Nintendo list of features they want to focus on because for the most part it doesn't make them much money if any really.  Throwing into a Wii mode is the cheapest and least buggy way to do anything Wii related.  Once we get out of launch & down the way I would not be surprised to find out Nintendo enable VC to Gamepad & open a little more RAM to developers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
I'm still mad that Nintendo was too lazy to add new levels to my Wii Virtual Console Super Mario Bros NES download. LAZY NINTENDO. L-A-Z-Y.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
Frankly BC is never very high on Nintendo list of features they want to focus on because for the most part it doesn't make them much money if any really.  Throwing into a Wii mode is the cheapest and least buggy way to do anything Wii related.  Once we get out of launch & down the way I would not be surprised to find out Nintendo enable VC to Gamepad & open a little more RAM to developers.

This is the correct answer. Right now, Nintendo is focusing on things that can make them money, which updating those old games wouldn't really do that much. Once they've got the heavy lifting of the console launch out of the way and a few profitable quarters under their belts, I'm confident they'll go back and update at least some of the games for Wii U specific features.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
but if they are going to have the VC on WiiU, that means they are going to have to have Wiiu version of the Current catalog ANYWAY. So why not have us redownload those versions? That's what any modern... oh, right. my bad.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
I urge everyone to look at Sony and the PS1 Classics that took six months to come out.

I think we'd be way more pissed off if we couldn't play VC games at launch.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »
I don't know if "lazy" is the word I'd use. Maybe overwhelmed? Profit-focused? Because as some have said against the tide of ragers, it doesn't behoove Nintendo the Company to allow us to play old games on the new system. I thought VC would be playable on the GamePad too, and I'm bummed out. BUT after thinking about it for a minute, the decision makes some sense. The GamePad isn't magic -- games developed years before they even made the thing won't just magically appear on a separate video-streaming screen without some kind of coding in place. So it's crappy, sure. But I don't think Nintendo is being lazy in their lack of effort....    they're kind of busy, probably, building a new system and developing new games and creating online infrastructure and working on 4DS and Super Wii U prototypes, etc., etc. I hope this is wrong info and we get what we want. Buuuttt it's not as simple as many claim. Paint a big A for Apologist on my lapel if ya like.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »
I don't know if "lazy" is the word I'd use. Maybe overwhelmed? Profit-focused? Because as some have said against the tide of ragers, it doesn't behoove Nintendo the Company to allow us to play old games on the new system. I thought VC would be playable on the GamePad too, and I'm bummed out. BUT after thinking about it for a minute, the decision makes some sense. The GamePad isn't magic -- games developed years before they even made the thing won't just magically appear on a separate video-streaming screen without some kind of coding in place. So it's crappy, sure. But I don't think Nintendo is being lazy in their lack of effort....    they're kind of busy, probably, building a new system and developing new games and creating online infrastructure and working on 4DS and Super Wii U prototypes, etc., etc. I hope this is wrong info and we get what we want. Buuuttt it's not as simple as many claim. Paint a big A for Apologist on my lapel if ya like.

but they don't have to do anything special. lets say I run a dosbox game on my pc. It doesn't care which of my two displays it is on. the video driver handles all of that. They have the emulators written for the wiiu, if they want to to sell vc games to wiiu owners without wiis anyway. So all I'm left with.. two things. there are no unified accounts, and they are lazy.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »
I don't know if "lazy" is the word I'd use.  .... it's not as simple as many claim. Paint a big A for Apologist on my lapel if ya like.

Fine - but so what.  The title of this thread is about the GamePad support, but frankly the concept that VC is now a legacy Wii Only feature supported only through some odd backwards compatibility mode is the worst part of this.  I expected the VC to continue and thrive in new ways on Wii U.  To be upgraded to match the 3DS (i.e. proper save states) and to start including even more games from systems.  Perhaps even add GameCube titles.   It's disappointing to see that Wii may have been it. 

It also reopens the constant wounds that Nintendo does not treat your downloads the way every other modern company does.  You never worry about losing your digital downloads from Steam, or Apple, or the rest of these online markets.  (Hopefully that will all be fixed in Wii U, but they certainly haven't wanted to talk about it yet)