Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1590769 times)

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4150 on: September 14, 2012, 11:29:28 AM »
I have an HD TV so this doesn't apply to me. But are composite cables also in the package? If not imagine the problems that will arise for SD TV users.

I think they're including RF Converters with a switch for choosing "Game" and "TV" :)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: September 14, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
So what's everyone thinking of picking up with the console. I'm grabbing

Wii U deluxe
New Super Mario bros U
ZombiU
Darksiders II

And am I the only one annoyed on how inconsistent the Nintendo network logo on the box looks to be. Games with known online componets such as Assassians creed and just Dance don't have it.

MariU
Tekken
ZombiU

And a big ol new tv!

Once I pay off that tv I will be back for:
Darksiders
Rayman
The Wonderful 101

I really want Ninja Gaiden, but only if scores like 7s or 8s show up.

Batman eventually to.

God I barely play what I have now. I will be no more than 3 games and launch, beat them then get more. Still despite no user base I need a competitive online 3d fighter.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4152 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
I think the UK prices are insane. There is no way this should be available for pre-order for £300+.

That's what happens when a company isn't allowed to set a RRP and retailers get to decide. Competition is not always a good thing. Some think stores will soon drop the price though, apparently that's what happened around the 3DS launch, some places were offering it for 170 pounds.

Yikes, £300 is about $487. Nintendo does set a RRP, but stores are not forced to use that price (sometimes that is good as New Super Mario Bros. 2 is being sold at stores for like £10 less than the RRP). What is odd is that Nintendo doesn't seem to be setting a RRP for it in the UK, maybe they figure there is no point since UK law lets retailers do whatever price they want.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: September 14, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »

Wii U deluxe
New Super Mario bros U
ZombiU
Darksiders II

And am I the only one annoyed on how inconsistent the Nintendo network logo on the box looks to be. Games with known online componets such as Assassians creed and just Dance don't have it.

I think i'll be doing the following:

Wii U Deluxe
New Super Mario Bros U (Digital, if they offer)

Nintendoland and NSMB U will cover me for a bit while I try renting a few other games to feel out whether they are ones that I want to shell out another $60 for.  With the deluxe package costing $350 alone, i'm surprised everyone here has enough disposable income to drop change on several new games.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
Wii U Deluxe
NSMBU

Everything else I'll wait on price drops. Which I expect to happen quickly for stuff like Toki Tori 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Sonic, Batman, Mass Effect 3, NBA 2k13, Transformers, Epic Mickey, and Darksiders II. I seriously expect a lot of these third party games (especially the rushed ports) to be half price by the time April comes around. Even the ones that come out in March.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: September 14, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »
Right now besides the pack in Nintendo Land, I'm thinking of preordering either a copy of New Super Mario Bro U, or ZombiU.    Although I might change my mind.  I have a birthday coming up little under a month after launch.  Might just hope for a game then.   Who knows I might go with one of the other 3rd party titles other than ZombiU.  Right now Mario Bro's U is the only title I know for sure I will get one way or another.

Ah.. I know something else I will look into getting a Wii U Gamepad Screen Protector!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: September 14, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »
Hmm forgot about the tecmo koei stuff. Might switch out darksiders for the warriors 3 or some eshop cash. Going to wait for rveiews on ninja gaiden.

Wonder how long it will take to get an rpg for wii u. I guess monster hunter.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: September 14, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »

Dragon Quest X?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: September 14, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Meant more tradtional though I an hoping for a conformation of DQX being localized next week.

Really would like a conformation already of nintendoland having online play or not.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: September 14, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
Is anyone here affected by the decision to not support other forms of Audio Out?
I didn't even think about this before, but I am. My new TV doesn't have an audio out jack like my old TV does, so I can no longer plug everything into my TV and then run the audio through that to the stereo. Unless I can find some other solution, I may have to use my Wii component cable instead of the HDMI just so I can plug its audio cables into my stereo.

How different is the picture quality of HDMI over component? Is is really that noticeable for most people?

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: September 14, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »

That's a good bet, seeing as how it's coming out in...March? April? 2013. But I'm hoping Monolith's new game will be out sooner rather than later. And that it's an RPG, of course.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: September 14, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
How different is the picture quality of HDMI over component? Is is really that noticeable for most people?

Nope.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: September 14, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3326864/nintendo-tvii-i-tv-partnership-video-hands-on

Theverge had an interview with itv the company behind TVii. As it turns out this is going to be on other devices (sans the tvii branding) and could be used as a back end for simlar services on the ps4 and xbox 720.

I listened too Weekend confrimed and i'n listening to Polygon: The Besties and I'm suprised how negative and uninformed a lot of these guys who covered the event or were at the fucking event. I'm fucking face palming at the fact that the polygon crew couldn't understand what TVii was. They're a spin off of a tech website that had a write up and video interview on it that I posted above.

I was also baffled by the fact on both podcasts the guys seemed to think that a Disc being able to hold 25GB of data means that games will automaticlly be that big and take up the memory space. And then these people seem to harp on the fact it has no blu ray drive. To be honest when this was annouced EARILER THIS YEAR I was disapointed, but I quickly realized the market has been moving towards streaming. Yet the even thought of that wasn't brought up and I'm pretty sure one of the hosts was even doubting that.

And finally people are somewhat doubting the online system and rightfully so. They even complained about the Wii eshop not having any exculsive games and devs when nintendo announced and has had since the wii and 3ds quite. A few good devs that only develop for nintendo platforms for the most part like Wayforward, Renegade kid, Shi'ien, broken rules, and Gajin Games (nintendo would be stupid not to get these guys exclusive games again)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Reggie Interview and CoD Wii U superior
« Reply #4163 on: September 14, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/14/reggie-fils-aime-answers-burning-wii-u-launch-questions

IGN Reggie interview. Price, Bundles, Online.

http://www.gamingexaminer.com/hands-on-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-on-the-wii-u/18064/#.UFPMR1FwyUn

It’s pure Call of Duty, only amplified and streamlined.  It’s a clear advantage over other consoles no matter what your preference are, or where your loyalty lies.

I like the sound of that! Let's just hope in the end, being a port to the new system wont mess with the visuals in a negative way and the online is just as good.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:36:41 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: September 14, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »

Nope.
Possibly right, but most likely wrong.  My guess is that the component cables will be only able to output 480p at most.  HDMI will go up to 1080p on the Wii.  If you want to split out the audio from the hdmi cable, here is a product I found.  It's a little expensive, but it'll do the job and you can hook up another three hdmi cables from other sources with it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: September 14, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »
I'll get a Wii U when I next go to Oregon to visit friends.  One works at a Walmart there and he gets a 10% discount and with no tax, it works out to about $315 for the deluxe version.  That'll be worth it, especially because I get to see friends. :)

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: September 14, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
Just got back from Gamestop and the employee there told me he just got an email from corporate saying to stop accepting Wii U deluxe Preorders. He offered me the Basic, but I just reserved the Deluxe at ToysRUS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »
I'm now very glad I went and preordered mine this afternoon, apparently just before the deadline.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: September 14, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »

Nope.
Possibly right, but most likely wrong.  My guess is that the component cables will be only able to output 480p at most.  HDMI will go up to 1080p on the Wii.

Component cables can carry a 1080p signal.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: September 14, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
I'm not sure what the main screen looks like on the Wii U, but I wouldn't mind if it looked like this:

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: September 14, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
Meant more tradtional though I an hoping for a conformation of DQX being localized next week.

Really would like a conformation already of Nintendo Land having online play or not.

According to GoNintendo, Nintendo Land has no online play.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: September 14, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
Just got back from Gamestop and the employee there told me he just got an email from corporate saying to stop accepting Wii U deluxe Preorders. He offered me the Basic, but I just reserved the Deluxe at ToysRUS.

So there won't be any more preorders from now until launch?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: September 14, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »
Nice reminds me of the onlive start screen. Though in an interview with reggie he said the start screen would be very basic

http://kotaku.com/5943417/the-wii-u-powers-up-to-nintendos-version-of-a-facebook-feed

Nintendo talked a lot about the Wii U yesterday, but there was one big topic they didn't cover: the Miiverse, the console's version of a social network.

Turns out you'll see it as soon as you boot up the Wii U. In fact, according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, who sat down with us at Kotaku'soffices this afternoon, the machine's login screen is one big social network.

"When you turn on your Wii U, let's assume that you're connected," he said, "so when you turn on your Wii U what you're gonna see is that home screen with all of the Miis and the Miiverse community, and what's trending, kind of the key comments that have bubbled up through the system. So as long as you're in a connected environment, that's the first screen you see."

Sounds like a Facebook newsfeed, doesn't it? Fils-Aime says the community of people will be curatedby both you and Nintendo, not unlike your Facebook or Twitter. Seems to mesh well with Stephen's theory that Nintendo is trying to create its own social networking giant.

So who are the Miis invading your homepage? "These are your friends, these are people who have high reputation within the site, and so we've curated for you to see those messages," Fils-Aime said.

"So like Reggie Fils-Aime?" I asked. Could he be making appearances on our systems?

Sure. "We could also do some messages directly from Nintendo to that point," he said.

In addition to the Miis, Fils-Aime says there will be "what we're calling 'tiles.'"

"These'll be the key games that the community are playing, buzzing about," he said. "Because of the deep linkage through Nintendo TVii with video services, these could also be movies. They could be TV shows, could be a range of different content, but it's bubbling up through the community, with the exception of— I think the maximum of three tiles that we might be sending in terms of Nintendo thinking that something's interesting."

So that's the start-up screen. To get to the rest of your content—like the game in your drive, the newly announced Nintendo TVii and the digital eShop—you'll have to hit the home button. There are no channels on Wii U like there were on the Wii; instead you'll have "optionsforwhereyou wanna go from there," Fils-Aime said. You could jump straight to Netflix, for example, or go into the separate Miiverse application for more social options.

This Miiverse application won't resemble Nintendo TVii in terms of interface or options, but it will let you send messages, see what your friends are doing, and recommend games to the people you know.

As we've seen, New Super Mario Bros. U uses the Miiverse in an interesting way: as you walk through the world map, you'll see messages from other people offering tips, complaining about how hard a given level is, or even bragging about how awesome they are. Fils-Aime says other games can integrate the Miiverse in similar fashion, "but it'll be driven by the individual developer."

They'll be showing other examples of how games can integrate the Miiverse in the near future.

As for online networks? Reggie says the same thing: Stay tuned.

"And by that I mean, it's gonna be best for us to show the specific mechanics, how it works, for me to sit here and try to explain it to you without some nice visuals is gonna take our entire interview time," he said. "ThekeymessageI would communicate to your readers would be this: We have spent a lot of time and invested a lot of money to get our connected experiences right. And so when we highlight how the eShop will work, how the Nintendo Network is going to work, I think people are going to be very pleased."

And what about the much-reviled friend codes? Fils-Aime told us during E3 that they will indeed be back, albeit in a more convenient form. But he wouldn't share anything else today.

"We've heard the community feedback on friend codes and we're making it dramatically easier for you to connect with your friends," he said.

I'm still confused if miiverse is optional or not for developers to use. Been hearing quite a few things about it. I've heard on a very base level miiverse will be on all games and its up to developers to add more extra stuff like the graffti in Zombiu.

As a whole I'm very intrested in what miiverse will entail as a social network for my games. I really love the idea of it and the ability to join a ton of seperate communites like facebook groups can be cool.

On the pre-order cut off date, I'm guessing that's to help manufactre another wii like sellout. By limiting the amount of models pre-ordered (mostly deluxe) will be "sold out" by launch and most other people trying to get the small number of deluxe left in non specialty markets as well as the basic model in fear of a wii style shortage.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
Is anyone here affected by the decision to not support other forms of Audio Out?

Not really. If I was running my system out to a stereo it might annoy me but I'm not. I haven't had an issue with HDMI and my TV. I have considered getting a sound bar in the future but not anytime soon and not sure if this would still affect me.

Wii U deluxe
New Super Mario bros U
ZombiU
Darksiders II

Getting the following.

Wii U Deluxe Edition
Zombi U
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Assassin's Creed 3

I'm really hoping one or two of these games isn't there on the 18th as this is to much money to be spending at once for me. Up first to be cut is AC3. I got a good deal at NewEgg for all of them ($15 off each) from one of their promos they ran during the summer. So I wouldn't want to cut them as I'll be paying more later but I might have to. Next up is Black Ops 2. I want to play this but I'm willing to wait to be honest, especially once a few patches have been brought out. So in the end I could just get Zombi U with the system.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:39:04 AM by NeoStar9X »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: September 15, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »
I already pre order the deluxe edition, and for sure getting nsmbwu and either mass effect 3 or cod black ops 2 for multiplayer, and the classic controller.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308