Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1588303 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4125 on: September 13, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
One might have trouble finding one near or around launch, especially since it's launching a week before Black Friday. I don't see a repeat of the Wii. I'm confident that, if I so choose, I will be able to walk into Best Buy early next year and buy one. I'm not saying that makes it a failure or anything. Rather, sales will be steady, not push an old lady to ground to get one like the Wii was.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: September 13, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »
tendoboy1984 if you think you will be getting anything near $250 for a Wii and 17 games you're in for a big, sad surprise. A Wii is probably with about $30 at the most at GameStop (based upon what they give for a 360 or PS3), you'll be lucky to get $7 per game on average.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
Great day as far as gaming goes. Have my preorder down at GameStop for the  deluxe version. Games in at  NewEgg and I'm good to go. There are also enough games announced that I should be fine going into the new year as well.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: September 13, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
I forgot who asked here how this will work with different TV services such as time warner, dish, and the like.  I think that will be an issue as a deal will have to be cut between all of them and TV providers always seem to like to be in control and a b*tch to work with (there are always disputes going on between them and individual channels such as the one going on right now between dish and AMC).  I think the only way around it at the moment is if you have a Tivo box.  Tivo seems to be supported based on the demonstration today.  Since Tivo works with almost all TV providers, I assume that would be your gateway to linking it all up on the WiiU.  For those that don't have a Tivo unit though, then this will be a problem as I'm sure many don't want to fork over money for a new dvr unit.  Hopefully something is worked out so that everyone can get in on the fun without depending on Tivo to be the middle man. 

I'm also wondering how exactly did they have all those college games on Nintendo TVii.  If a deal was cut for those, I sure hope one is set up for all the other leagues, specifically the NBA and NFL for me.  I'll even pay a subscription if they can provide me with service like that. 

Anyway, on to the WiiU in general.  I managed to spread the word today in my Networking class and showed a couple of videos off to 2 friends of mine and they were really interested.  They at first didn't even know it was a new system and assumed it was just an addon to the Wii which could be a problem at first for Nintendo. 

Also, I finally got my preorder down over at Gamestop and they currently are running some trade in offers which I might partake in.  If I remember correctly, I think you can get 50 dollars for a used Wii, 90 I think for a used 360, and 120 for a used PS3 slim.  Don't remember what a phat PS3 will net but its either 50 or 90 give or take.  I'm thinking of trading in my Wii and 360 as I have not used either in quite a while and I figure my PS3 (Madden 13) and PC (guild wars 2 popped my MMO cherry lol) will hold me up easily until the release date. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:02:25 PM by Mannypon »

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »
I gave best buy my preorder online. Went with the deluxe version with overnight shipping.   It's a long distance for me to go to any retail outlets to pick it up.  I think I can wait the extra day or so and get it Monday or Tuesday.   Funny thing, overnight shipping is cheaper than driving to town and back.   Still I enjoy living out in the country and wouldn't want it any other way.

I thought about waiting for Amazon, but their recent lack of handling Nintendo Hardware directly scared me off.  I don't have enough faith in them right now with Nintendo to give my preorder if they start taking them. 

Just glad to finally have the date and price announced and preorder done.    Now just gotta wait till it comes out. :)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
Best Buy is accepting preorders online? I wonder if I can walk into my local BB and preorder personally? Has anyone done that yet?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
Man I hope they do something about the VC. I skipped the wii and one of the main selling points for me was thinking that iwould be able to play vc games on the gamepad.

Also I thought journalist got to play games and try TVii out after the confrence. Is there some embargo on video and write ups.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
Also I thought journalist got to play games and try TVii out after the confrence. Is there some embargo on video and write ups.
According to this Kotaku article and video, Nintendo is being pretty strict about not letting journalists even touch the GamePad with the Nintendo TVii demo (00:15). It's a non-working demo (02:05) and they aren't allowed to touch it. Bizarro...

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: September 13, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
Preordered my Black Wii U at Best Buy online! Do yourself a favor and do the same!

White
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintendo...sole&cp=1&lp=1

Black

RomanceDawn

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: September 13, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
They don't want to show off non finshed hardware. Hmm the white gamepad looks nasty and doesn't make as good as a bezel as the black one.

Wonder if there will be any nintendo made eshop games ala pushmo that hasn't been annouced yet for launch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: September 13, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
Preordered my Black Wii U at Best Buy online! Do yourself a favor and do the same!

White

Black

Pre-ordered Thanks

I'm sure you can guess which one ;)

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: September 13, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »
Bit of interesting news. The black version is listed as "Sku 1" in GameStop's systems. On my receipt and from asking the employee when I pre-ordered I was able to see the sheet that had the system listed. The White is "Sku 2". Not sure if that is GameStops doing or if that is how they're being treated by Nintendo. For the price the black deluxe version is the better buy for $50. http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/whats-in-the-box/ Especially the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed #1 for Nintendo.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »
Including Nintendo Land immediately makes the Black SKU a good value proposition, but there's so much more than that there... Man, I was intending to get a white Wii U but now I'm getting a black one because of this.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: September 13, 2012, 11:34:48 PM »
So this HDMI cable, is that the best cable or will I be a sucker if I don't run out and get what ever is better?

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
So this HDMI cable, is that the best cable or will I be a sucker if I don't run out and get what ever is better?
The HDMI cable is the best.  It probably isn't the highest quality one out there but it should do the job fine.  Its actually surprising Nintendo is including one that isn't normal.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: September 13, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »
Is anyone here affected by the decision to not support other forms of Audio Out? I mean... I'm so not an audiophile, and practically the entire gaming industry was fooled by GH3's mono sound audio for MONTHS, but I've noticed some people out there complaining, wonder if anyone here share those concerns too?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4141 on: September 14, 2012, 12:33:21 AM »
The HDMI cable is the best.  It probably isn't the highest quality one out there but it should do the job fine.  Its actually surprising Nintendo is including one that isn't normal.

Don't be suckered into marketing. A $5 HDMI cable is the same quality as those over-priced $50 Monster one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: September 14, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »

White

Black

Pre-ordered Thanks

I'm sure you can guess which one ;)

The WhiteNSpicy model? ;)
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: September 14, 2012, 02:26:38 AM »

Don't be suckered into marketing. A $2 HDMI cable is the same quality as those over-priced $50 Monster one.

www.monoprice.com

you can thank me later ;)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: September 14, 2012, 03:32:37 AM »
I think the UK prices are insane. There is no way this should be available for pre-order for £300+.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: September 14, 2012, 07:52:34 AM »
I think the UK prices are insane. There is no way this should be available for pre-order for £300+.

That's what happens when a company isn't allowed to set a RRP and retailers get to decide. Competition is not always a good thing. Some think stores will soon drop the price though, apparently that's what happened around the 3DS launch, some places were offering it for 170 pounds.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: September 14, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »
Is anyone here affected by the decision to not support other forms of Audio Out? I mean... I'm so not an audiophile, and practically the entire gaming industry was fooled by GH3's mono sound audio for MONTHS, but I've noticed some people out there complaining, wonder if anyone here share those concerns too?

Yes.  It wont' work well for my setup.  I can't do HDMI to my audio system, so I'm stuck with generic stereo (maybe PL II) and no Dolby Digital / DTS whatever the system will output.  Having an optical or coaxial digital audio would be preferred.  PS3 does optical out to my system currently and sounds great.  I'm not surprised by this since Nintendo has never done much to put ports on their devices (save the NES with it's composite out!) but it is another drawback.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: September 14, 2012, 08:22:52 AM »
You can always buy an expensive HDMI-SPDIF converter.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
So what's everyone thinking of picking up with the console. I'm grabbing

Wii U deluxe
New Super Mario bros U
ZombiU
Darksiders II

And am I the only one annoyed on how inconsistent the Nintendo network logo on the box looks to be. Games with known online componets such as Assassians creed and just Dance don't have it.

Offline Drizzt

• View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: September 14, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »
I have an HD TV so this doesn't apply to me. But are composite cables also in the package? If not imagine the problems that will arise for SD TV users.