Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 (should be) delayed  (Read 5091 times)

Offline sweetfeathery

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Bayonetta 2 (should be) delayed
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
I know the title alone is going to upset people but please hear me out. I want to see Bayonetta 2 sell well enough to lead to a third entry but I don't see this game alone being a system seller. Granted, more people are now buying Wii U for Mario Kart but I think we can all agree that we will see a surge of console sales this holiday season with the release of Smash on the console.
I applaud Nintendo for reviving the property and giving us the game bundled with the original and even including skins of Nintendo characters, but feel that there is one thing that they could do to help this game reach its full potential... including Bayonetta herself, as a unlockable fighter for Smash.
What if Nintendo delayed the release of Bayonetta 2 in order to get more people aware of the games existence by introducing her as a fighter in Smash and THEN released the game in spring of 2015?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Bayonetta 2 (should be) delayed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »
That's a rather big gamble to take, and I don't think it'd be worth it. Nintendo needs all the software it can have THIS year, as the list of games is rather small. The ones that will sell relatively well is even smaller. If we continually wait for a game that will greatly spur Wii U sales in order to release Bayonetta 2, I don't the game would ever be released for the system. Super Mario 3D World failed to move a lot of systems, Mario Kart 8 so far has failed to move a lot of systems, etc. I just think the Wii U brand is toxic, and no game is going to help it, and no inclusion of a character into Smash is going to help it either.

Also, I don't know why anyone would be upset from your post. I get upset over people using racial and homophobic slurs against myself and other people. I get upset when someone involved in starting the Iraq War has the gall to think he has the right to say anything about it now-- I don't get upset over video game opinions... though your post made me ALMOST get there! J/K!  :P
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:52:37 AM »
Smash should be delayed for ten years instead. That would make more sense.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 02:04:59 AM »
Have you seen Nintendo's fall lineup? Bayonetta isn't getting delayed.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:54 AM »
For the love of all things, 1000x no. If there was something else coming out this fall, Splatoon, XCX (are we doing that or is it still just X?) something else to tickle my fancy then I would say maybe. I do believe she's a lock for smash even if she's just a pallet swap for Zero Suit Samus.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »
Nintendo shouldn't release any games for Wii U until sales pick up and the install base is larger. That'll teach all those people who say that Wii U isn't worth owning yet - and I bet they'll run to stores and start buying once nobody is releasing games on the console.

Oh wait... that doesn't make any sense.

Bayonetta 2 should release as scheduled. Sorry to burst your bubble... but it's not going to sell well no matter what Nintendo does, so getting it out when there is demand for games and huge gaps on the release schedule is probably just as good as waiting and hoping that the market situation improves.

I don't believe that install base won't improve enough to make a huge difference, or that people waiting for Mario Kart and Smash Bros are really the same target audience as Bayonetta. The first game didn't sell well or get a sequel funded by Microsoft and/or Sony, despite being released on two consoles with huge install bases and audiences that are "supposed" to be better suited for Bayonetta. Expecting the sequel to improve on those numbers probably isn't reasonable.

Enjoy the game. Appreciate the fact that Nintendo decided to fund it despite the almost certain loss it will generate. But be realistic: this game is already a gift to fans and it would take a small miracle to see another sequel made.  (At least that's my opinion. Bring wrong on this point would be awesome for everyone.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:16:45 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
Sweetfeathery, I assure you, Bayonetta 2 isn't going to set the world on fire, regardless of how good it is, or what the install base for the system is.  It is a niche game that'll sell to its devoted fan base, and not much else. 

I'm only planning on getting it because it comes with the first one, and I liked another one of Platinum's games (Metal Gear Rising).  This is just one of those games that even if it's absolutely fantastic, it'll get a limited crowd due to the stylistic & thematic choices the game makes.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 08:11:46 PM »
I was going to ask why we needed another Bayonetta 2 thread, but thanks for not sullying my beautiful and glorious thread with this.

Bayonetta 2 isn't going to be a major seller and it isn't meant to be. It's a supplementary title being released right when these types of titles get released. It definitely should NOT be delayed. An October release is excellent timing. First, it's before the major holiday title which is Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Second, it's right after Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. I'm still betting on Bayonetta being a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. and I expect her getting a trailer late September/early October. The character and the new game would get even more exposure right before release. If Nintendo fans didn't know about her before, they sure as hell will. That's pretty brilliant if this comes to pass.

While hardly a sure thing, there's some evidence supporting Bayonetta showing up in Super Smash Bros. First, Sakurai was seen hanging around Platinum Games right around the beginning of development, even posting a photo of his visit on Twitter. Second, Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive (and I really wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo now partially owns the character). Third, there's a Wonder-Red trophy in Super Smash Bros. so Platinum Games has some kind of presence in the game (though Nintendo owning the rights to The Wonderful 101 could have more to do with it). Saving a Bayonetta reveal for right before Bayonetta 2's release is total hype get. Unless Nintendo colossally fails to capitalize on introducing fans to Bayonetta via Super Smash Bros., they really couldn't ask for better timing.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
Was thinking just the opposite.  Re!easing late Oct has it going up against something like 30 other games so it's likely to be overlooked by all but the hardcore gamer that make up 5% of total sales.  If anything Nintendo should move it to the end of August which would give it some breathing room.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
Re!easing late Oct has it going up against something like 30 other games so it's likely to be overlooked by all but the hardcore gamer that make up 5% of total sales.
Not on Wii U which is the audience Nintendo would be appealing to by having Bayonetta playable in Super Smash Bros.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
Doesn't matter, most in NA own multiple systems, weather it's old generation, pc, or handheld.  August is a slow month, which means a game like Bayonetta would be able to standout.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »
Doesn't matter, most in NA own multiple systems, weather it's old generation, pc, or handheld.  August is a slow month, which means a game like Bayonetta would be able to standout.

So every holiday Nintendo shouldn't release anything because Sony and Microsoft push hard to release during those times?  Maybe Nintendo should only release games in January, so they stand out of course. 

I'm sorry, Bayonetta is never going to stand out.  It's just not.  I'm excited about trying it, but it's not going to be a commercial success.  Timing of the Bayonetta release is probably the least of Nintendo's problems. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:13:29 AM »
I don't think it's going to do that well in terms of sales regardless; there's a reason Nintendo was the only company willing to publish the game. Still, it'd probably do better in August than it would in November.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
I didn't read most of thread.

Honestly, Bayonetta 2 releasing this year will mean that it will still be able to take advantage of the Smash bump anyway.  It may even be a slightly lower value add purchase at Christmas.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »