Author Topic: PS3 HD Upgrade  (Read 4864 times)

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
PS3 HD Upgrade
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »
I decided to upgrade my HD to ensure that I had enough space to patch all my games and download new ones.  Plus I figured a 7200 RPM drive wouldn't hurt.  So I had an 80 GB hard drive that was pretty much completely full.  My backup said it was 63 GB.  Then on my new hard drive I show 116 GB used after restore.  Did something mess up in the transition?  Do I need to re-restore?  Everything seems to work fine.  Games play, they all look there.  I put in a big enough HD that the extra space isn't too detrimental.  I'm just confused how I would end up with more unless something was corrupted. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 HD Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
Don't spend the money on a 7200 RPM Drive.  Regardless of the drives actual speed the PS3 will read from it at the same rate as the factory harddrive.

It might be how the PS3 does the formatting of the drive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
I could be wrong but I think the backups are compressed and then decompressed when you restore it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
@bdog - My original drive was an 80 Gb. I've literally restored and now am using 116 Gb. I'm sure there was compression/decompression. I just don't know how I ended up with more than I started.

@ceric - I saw places posting 8-10% speed pickup. Not scientific but the O/S seems snappier to me. Either way, the price differential was negligible when I was looking at drives. I'm not going to lose sleep over potentially saving $3. I'm using the data the PS3 is giving me 339/455 available so I don't think formatting matters.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:08:01 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »
Honestly the OS would not be affected in any way by a new HDD. It's all in RAM after you boot the console. Formatting doesn't matter, maybe there's some kind of partition on that drive already...but I don't think the PS3 would report it as "used" unless it could see it.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
Don't spend the money on a 7200 RPM Drive.  Regardless of the drives actual speed the PS3 will read from it at the same rate as the factory harddrive.

False, this was proven to speed up load times and install times back in 2007, just a year after the consoles release. Plus, it's widely known that hybrid drives and SSDs also great increase those things. Plus, in games like GTA5, the draw distance and the speed that it loads the world is increased.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Honestly the OS would not be affected in any way by a new HDD. It's all in RAM after you boot the console. Formatting doesn't matter, maybe there's some kind of partition on that drive already...but I don't think the PS3 would report it as "used" unless it could see it.

By O/S I mean it loads faster and loads programs faster.  As Oblivion mentioned, there are youtube videos that I could link to but I don't think it's altogether that important.  Certainly there is an argument that it is altogether insignificant, but I bought the 7200 so I'm there already.  I was definitely wondering about showing as 116GB used when 80GB were initially used.  I couldn't find anything on a google search and it seems as if nobody here has experienced something similar.  I'll probably just go about using it as it stands and if I find an error, I'll update this thread..

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »

False, this was proven to speed up load times and install times back in 2007, just a year after the consoles release. Plus, it's widely known that hybrid drives and SSDs also great increase those things. Plus, in games like GTA5, the draw distance and the speed that it loads the world is increased.
I like a link to what you read.  I've done research on this every year and it always go back to just clocking it back to the original speed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »
Maybe the PS3 sets its cache as a percentage of the HDD space...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »

I like a link to what you read.  I've done research on this every year and it always go back to just clocking it back to the original speed.

*sigh*

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/7200rpm-vs-5400rpm-HDD-for-the-PS3/td-p/14888551

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrcde4hyRY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1o1I1zb8gU

http://kotaku.com/upgrade-your-playstation-4-or-3-with-a-solid-state-dr-1459838495

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJcRIeLtq8

The first and last links will be more pertinent to your interests. Even then, a hybrid drive is MUCH better for makes those things faster than a 7200rpm, mostly because the 7200 can overheat the PS3 and may cause a YLOD.

By the way, this took me about 2 minutes to Google, read, and paste the right links into my post. While I don't doubt you were researching this before, it makes me wonder what exactly you were looking for.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:01:25 AM by Oblivion »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
Yeah,
I've been on the Internet longer then most people.
Needless to say but, search changed quiet a bit from how I learned to do it and combined with my luck my Google-Fu sticks. Well I'm glad it now matters.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »
The first and last links will be more pertinent to your interests. Even then, a hybrid drive is MUCH better for makes those things faster than a 7200rpm, mostly because the 7200 can overheat the PS3 and may cause a YLOD.

That's a complete load of horse ****.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »
I'm just regurgitating what others have shown in tests. If you have an issue with that, take it up with them. Regardless, I said "may".

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
Regardless, it's a load of horse ****.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 06:31:45 PM »
I decided to upgrade my HD to ensure that I had enough space to patch all my games and download new ones.  Plus I figured a 7200 RPM drive wouldn't hurt.  So I had an 80 GB hard drive that was pretty much completely full.  My backup said it was 63 GB.  Then on my new hard drive I show 116 GB used after restore.  Did something mess up in the transition?  Do I need to re-restore?  Everything seems to work fine.  Games play, they all look there.  I put in a big enough HD that the extra space isn't too detrimental.  I'm just confused how I would end up with more unless something was corrupted. 
My guess is what Brandogg said that it was a cache thing the PS3 did depending on the size of the drive.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:03:13 PM by Louieturkey »