Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3151870 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Official Sales Thread
« Reply #9775 on: October 09, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
I definitely would prefer to play things on handhelds if given the option. Vita Remote Play is the biggest reason I own a PS4. But the one thing the console experience brings to the table that handhelds can't really match for me is local multiplayer, which will be a huge part of the reason the Wii U Smash will sell.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: October 10, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
Maybe they just release the game when its ready? WiiU is a system that needs a staggered release, not the 3DS. Also, I'm pretty sure that even though Smash4 on 3DS is a great title, WiiU will have the "Definitive Smash Experience" and may have required additional time to complete.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: October 10, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »
Except its been repeated time and again that there will be parity in the main portions of Smash.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
There's parity in the NFL and somebody still wins the chip every year.  The rumored 8 player Smash and HD gives it the edge over the 3ds version(in my book anyway).  If there wasn't more to making the Wii U version then I think it would have been out already, also the fact that as of yesterday (Oct, 9) Sakuria said he was still working on the Wii U ver for a few more weeks.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »
8 Player Smash be hectically awesome.
I know for me HD is a big draw.  3D HD would be an even bigger draw for me.

Personally if they add a lot of interesting Single Player options I'll probably prefer that version.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9780 on: October 10, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Being able to play on my giant TV, and more importantly with a regular controller are the biggest draws for me. I was murdering my poor Circle Pad last night during Home Run Contest.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: October 10, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
I've wanted 8-player Smash Bros since 2006 when I saw the Wii could have 8 controllers connected with 4 Wiimotes and 4 GCN. That would be a great new mode to add.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: October 10, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
Maybe that is a surprise reason they are including the Gamecube controller hook-up with the game? It was a great feature in the WiiWare Bomberman when you had a party.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #9783 on: October 10, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
Honestly nothing about it makes sense, all this does is promotes the idea that the Pro controller isn't good enough. That sends a terrible image to the consumer they should have just left it alone unless there ulterior motive is to eventually release Game Cube VC games but still that doesn't mean they need to use authentic GC controllers, they released N64 games on Wii using the Classic and Classic Pro and they never released an adapter that let you use real N64 controllers, 3rd party companies did that which is why this move seems odd because Nintendo doesn't typically follow 3rd party companies and they really have gotten crazy with all their controllers since Wii came on the scene.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: October 11, 2014, 12:34:45 AM »
It makes total sense. It gives Nintendo an opportunity to sell people a largely useless peripheral at what I'm sure is a very healthy profit, which is something they've done to great effect in the past.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #9785 on: October 11, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
what would be wrong with jut promoting the existing controller they have in production though? This will cost them money by having to manufacture it they don't just press a button and these things magically appear in stores. The Pro controllers is perfectly good enough this sends a mixed signal and could cost them more money in the long run, if they don't sell enough to justify the manufacturing of this device. It would be different if we were talking putting a game on iPhone where there is little investment this requires a major investment to move things around in the production line at the very least. This isn't even them re-issuing Game Cube controllers its just an adapter that lets you use a Game Cube controller, there already exist 3rd party solutions for that. You make it sound like just putting it out there it will automatically produce profits, they are spending a great deal of money just advertising this thing that will appeal to a very niche market of a niche console, how does that translate to massive profits? It doesn't it translates to a huge costly fan service, not something that makes business sense other than keeping the cheerleaders, like you, happily defending every stupid move they make so they can keep ultra loyalists supporting even their bad decisions.

IF it was as suggested and was a fully useful controller that could be used outside ONE game it would appeal to a larger base but this has ultra limited appeal, even if Smash sells a million copies this will NOT sell to more than 10% of those customers, many of whom already use the 3rd party solutions already in the market.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
This isn't even them re-issuing Game Cube controllers its just an adapter that lets you use a Game Cube controller
Nintendo is reissuing the controller.

That's probably the only reason it's even bothering with the adapter. Nintendo will be selling a $30 Smash Bros. logo GameCube controller that costs like $5 to manufacture. And people are going to buy the controllers because they can't let it go. Or they're buying the bundle just to have it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
Just picked up a GameCube controller at a garage sale this morning for $5 (and an N64 for $15)!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: October 11, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
It seems the GameCube adapter and controller is aimed at the Smash tourney nuts who don't like to use wireless controllers because of the miniscule amount of input lag they have. These people will probably be playing the game on a CRT instead of a modern television as well. They don't appear to be widely available so I don't think it's something that's going to cause confusion.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: October 11, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »
I keep going back and forth on getting the bundle. I could use another Gamecube controller and I prefer first party controllers since I have been burned by others. If Smash 4 U confirms 8 player support I will get it for that reason.

I'm surprised there is not an Amiibo bundle for the game that includes some special figure or something.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #9790 on: October 11, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »
I didn't realize they were re-issuing the controllers. I thought it was just a dongle that plugs into the USB or Wii remote like all the 3rd party ones floating around out there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: October 11, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »
I think the reissue is the entire point. Nintendo scores some goodwill points with hardcore Super Smash Bros. fans who just can't let go of a 13 year old controller, and it gets to make a killing doing so. Originally, PDP announced it was releasing an officially licensed Gamecube-style controller that plugs into the Wii Remote which people got excited about. Then, like a week later, Nintendo announced the Gamecube adapter and the controller reissue to which people predictably forgot about the PDP announcement.

The adapter essentially ensures that a certain subset of Super Smash Bros. players never have to give up the Gamecube controller. I plan on using the Wii U Pro Controller because I'm ready to move on and this is as good a time as any to do so. I really like the Pro Controller, and I think the transition from the 3DS version will be easier with the similar button layout.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: October 11, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
I like the Pro Controller as well, however options are never inherently bad. I also refuse to believe this bullshit about how this will only work with Smash4. Nintendo has a plethora of GC games they could put out on VC and while admirable that they would go the extra mile for the "Tourney / Pro" scene, it's complete overkill.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: October 11, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Nintendo's hardware infrastructure is sophisticated enough now that it'd likely be possible to patch in support for the GC adapter in other things.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: October 11, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »
The Pro controller is serviceable, but it's basically a somewhat altered copy of the Xbox 360 controller which I don't particularly like. I don't find it to be as comfortable as the Wii Classic Pro, and that isn't as comfortable as the GCN controller which was just nearly perfect. For a regular controller that is, the Wiimote and Nunchuk surpass everything else in terms of comfort.

« Reply #9795 on: October 11, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »
Nintendo's hardware infrastructure is complicated enough now that it'd likely be possible to continue to confuse the the hell out of customers

I think that is what you meant to say right?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: October 11, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »
Nintendo's hardware infrastructure is complicated enough now that it'd likely be possible to continue to confuse the the hell out of customers

I think that is what you meant to say right?

There was a heavy dose of backhand in that compliment, but I meant what I said. They could patch it in later if they wanted to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: October 11, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
I also refuse to believe this bullshit about how this will only work with Smash4. Nintendo has a plethora of GC games they could put out on VC and while admirable that they would go the extra mile for the "Tourney / Pro" scene, it's complete overkill.
I believe it. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is currently the only game with code written specifically to use the adapter, but that doesn't mean other games can't use it if a developer wanted to use it. Rather, no other games use it right now as no other software recognizes the adapter. Like insanolord said, it's something that can likely be patched later. Will other Wii U games will use it? Will developers go back and patch their games? Doubtful on both counts. I'd bet on just Super Smash Bros. since the controller itself has a following for the series. The Wii U has its own controllers. If Gamecube games eventually come to Virtual Console (and it's a shame this is not a reality yet), sure, I can see developers writing code specifically to access the adapter since it's already there.
The Pro controller is serviceable, but it's basically a somewhat altered copy of the Xbox 360 controller which I don't particularly like. I don't find it to be as comfortable as the Wii Classic Pro, and that isn't as comfortable as the GCN controller which was just nearly perfect. For a regular controller that is, the Wiimote and Nunchuk surpass everything else in terms of comfort.
The Pro Controller is my all-around favorite controller, but I wish I could pick and choose bits from the Gamecube controller which had better triggers as well as the most comfortable prongs of any controller ever. I was never fond of the D-pad, C-stick, and Z button on the Gamecube controller. I could give or take the button layout. It was perfect for some games and absolutely awful for others. The diamond layout that Nintendo invented has always worked well so I generally prefer it; I just wish it would go back to making X/Y concave like on the SNES controller.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: October 11, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »
The Pro Controller is OK. I just don't like using it so much because it, like the GamePad, has the sticks and buttons in the wrong places. I'll take the GCN controller for Smash just to have the buttons where all 4 are actually usable.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: October 11, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
I'm just mad that Nintendo acknowledges the greatness that is the GameCube Controller but seems to abandon the idea of GC VC.

I feel like I'm back in high school. A really pretty girl would smile at me every time I see her in the hall way but never allow me the chance to talk to her.