Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663927 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Oh sure, the only comment anyone cares about in my post is how the Wii U is a complete failure- which it is. The "Games of the Year" on other consoles are in genres that the Wii U simply doesn't have. I'd be interested to hear what games you DO think are GOTY quality from the Wii U's lifespan, too- what did Wii U have in 2013? Pikmin 3? The Wonderful 101? 2014, maybe I can give you, with Bayonetta 2.

You're right about 2013 (although 3DWorld is solid and Lego City and Wonderful 101 is outstanding). The first year of a console is never the best year. PS4 is just starting to catch Wii U in terms of software and has yet to leave it in the dust .

Star Fox Zero, Zelda U and possibly Retro's game are all Hybrid NX/U games.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Star Fox and Zelda maybe, but Retro? I doubt it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Oh sure, the only comment anyone cares about in my post is how the Wii U is a complete failure- which it is. ...

Well, it's what you get when you aren't expressing enough happiness with your consumer purchase among those that do. :p

Anyway, all that Wall Street Journal stuff is soft confirmation on the ideas and hopes of what has been discussed previously in this thread. It sounds good.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
Evan, do you have a Wii U?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I do. I own... Hmm. Let's see. 13 full retail games for it, and that doesn't count the 5 I've returned because I found them to be dissatisfying. I also have a number of eShop titles too, and my Wii library is quite large.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
OK. The reason I ask is that I assume you are more than disappointed with the Wii U (forgive me if I'm mistaken). I've never seen someone who owns a Wii U be very dissatisfied with their purchase. I like it more than most but I take issue with the idea that the system is a failure, but thats an issue for another thread.

BOT:

Nintendo Magic allows them to get "an hour out of 15 minutes" graphically (Mario Kart 8, Kirby Rainbow Curse ) I am excited to see what they can do with top notch (relatively) hardware.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
In some ways, I am not dissatisfied. I think there's plenty of things to love about the Wii U. But I am dissatisfied with its untapped potential.

I am not sure Nintendo will get much more out of the upgraded hardware- they've just finished their first big leap into HD and it was quite nice, but obviously time consuming. I hope they don't work themselves to death just because there's the potential to do so...

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I find it hard to believe most of this information, as it is very un characteristic of Nintendo.

If the NX is to not share the same fate as the Wii U then it needs to be uncharacteristic of Nintendo.

I like what the article is stating.  It has important stuff like comparable hardware with the competition.  If they failed on that again the NX would be DOA.

While I never had any faith in the Wii U, I felt it was doomed once Sony revealed that they weren't going to be anti-consumer with the PS4 and then MS backpedaled and followed suit with the Xbox One.  There was this hope at the time that Sony and MS were going to have anti-consumer features that would force always-online authentication and lock out used games and stuff like that and that the Wii U would benefit from being consumer-friendly.  Once that was not the case, the Wii U was finished.  All Nintendo had was an outdated console with a weird controller, no third party support, and a price that was not THAT much cheaper than the other guys.  The one hope it had was that the market would reject the new generation Sony and MS were offering and that didn't happen.

well said
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:52:59 AM by alegoicoe »
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
In some ways, I am not dissatisfied. I think there's plenty of things to love about the Wii U. But I am dissatisfied with its untapped potential.
Now this I agree with
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Speculation: Maybe the NX is an Oculus rift type device. People have been speculating and rumoring all Nintendo consoles to be Virtual reality headsets. Now is actually the time where it would be most likely. Having seen Star Wars Battlefront and Silent Hills the possibility of actual really awesome console virtual reality is possible.

An Oculus rift costs $350. A Wii U controller strapped to your face costs $90. Maybe Nintendo is one of the few companies able to get the price down.

Also note, Nintendo has been experimenting with the Wii U remote in this regard. The 3d videos, Nintendo land in some ways. The wii U already has all the tech to be a VR headset. It just isn't uncomfortably tethered to your face.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
The words "uncomfortably tethered to your face" don't inspire much confidence.

Virtual reality is just ta TV for your eyes only. It doesn't bring other people into the experience with you and Nintendo is about social gaming. I believe last E3 Reggie commented that it wasn't the sort of experience they thought was necessary.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
Speculation: Maybe the NX is an Oculus rift type device. People have been speculating and rumoring all Nintendo consoles to be Virtual reality headsets. Now is actually the time where it would be most likely. Having seen Star Wars Battlefront and Silent Hills the possibility of actual really awesome console virtual reality is possible.

An Oculus rift costs $350. A Wii U controller strapped to your face costs $90. Maybe Nintendo is one of the few companies able to get the price down.

Also note, Nintendo has been experimenting with the Wii U remote in this regard. The 3d videos, Nintendo land in some ways. The wii U already has all the tech to be a VR headset. It just isn't uncomfortably tethered to your face.

Nintendo as been anti-VR and pro-AR in the recent years. They tend to feel that AR is more socially and family friendly, while VR promotes isolation. As a father of 5, as shudder at the thought of how expensive that could be.

4 years ago all I wanted was a Nintendo Console powerful as a PS3 with a Wii Motion plus. I got that in Wii U. But Evan_B  is absolutely right, it never reached its full potential and its a shame it didn't.  Wii U could be in my top 5 consoles all time IF Zelda U and Star Fox actually come out and are solid releases, although I don't expect both games to show up. IF NX is at least as powerful as a PS4 ( and by next year how could it not be?) with a Netflix style game streaming service and the Trojan Horse of the untapped hybrid console market, I'll be cool.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The one real ace in the hole that Nintendo has left is that they're still the kings of local multiplayer. Going VR would basically kill that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Here's hoping it's Star Fox that skips Wii U and not Zelda!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
you could still do local multiplayer with vr. One player gets the head set, the other gets a tablet controller and a tv. Another type of asymmetric gameplay.

I prefer AR over VR.

why not include the option to buy VR headsets for the console though? The more people have them, the cheaper the price will go down. I imagine a day in the future where these vr headsets cost $60.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a great example of local multiplayer with VR.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I imagine Nintendo'slast dance with VR didn't sit so well with them. You know, the Virtual Boy.

I think they'll include it when the tech is manageable and enjoyable. Right now, I hear too many whispers of motion sickness, high prices, and little addition to gameplay.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
At the moment, I believe in the enthusiastic impressions of those who have tried and are eagerly anticipating VR to be genuine. Even at the base level of a change in perspective and head tracking, I can imagine the sense of immersion to be revolutionary.

I just wonder if this sense of immersion is something a lot of people will want to do on a regular basis. Or if it as excessive and impractical as a super car or a separate home theater room with a super projector and a mega sound system. That is an unfair comparison given the speculated prices of the upcoming headsets. I can't help but wonder how a VR headset will fit in to any given person's life, if at all.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
i read some rumors over at wiiudaily that the NX could be more powerful than PS4 and Xbone, very unlikely giving Nintendo past three consoles but maybe who knows, at least the rumor is not the other way around and it was with the wii and wii u
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
i read some rumors over at wiiudaily that the NX could be more powerful than PS4 and Xbone, very unlikely giving Nintendo past three consoles but maybe who knows, at least the rumor is not the other way around and it was with the wii and wii u

Any console coming out a few years after the PS4 and XB1 should be more powerful than them.  That's how this stuff has worked for literally every single console ever made except the Wii and Wii U (and I guess the Atari 7800 but it was actually cancelled and resurrected two years after its intended release).  For something like the Gamecube I don't even think there was any intentional effort to be more powerful than the PS2.  It's just simply that it came out a year later and the tech was a little better and a little cheaper so they went with it.

Now I would not expect anything future proof nor do I think Nintendo should do so.  It just needs to be enough to last until the competition goes to their next consoles and last time the generation lasted seven years for Sony and eight for MS.  So release the NX in 2016 and aim to replace it in 2020 (and if the other guys don't upgrade by then, wait longer).  Nintendo ends up splitting the generation between two consoles and then is all caught up.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
The most current scuttlebutt I've seen is tied to the Wall Street Journal article about devkits, which says something along the lines of Nintendo being aware of the power disparity issue and taking care this time to use leading tech. Separately, awhile ago there was some investor call or whathaveyou at AMD that seemed to indicate that they had struck a deal for a large semi-custom chip order to go into production in 2016 with hints that it was videogame related. So now there's speculation that Nintendo has pulled off a deal with the ailing AMD for cutting-edge tech on the cheap, which would allow them to outperform the PS4/XBONE while maintaining a reasonable price point.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
With the law of diminishing returns, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 and XBONE are around even longer than the PS360 before getting a successor. Unless they decide to go the phone route instead, making a new one or more every year, though I don't know how well that would work for a game system.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
You have to realize that NX is going to be next gen compared to ps4 and xbox one. Wii U is weird in that in most ways it is next gen compared to ps3 and xbox360 except the processor speed. IT has more ram and a superior GPU, which would mean it should be way better than those tow, but according to developers its CPU is weird and not as fast in clockrate. Developers could take advantage of the CPU in different ways, but they would have to reprogram the games.

As a programmer I understand some of this. When I write my code I test it constantly. There are some types of code you could write that's inefficient and may not be noticed on a faster cpu. On a slower CPU you might be like WTF? IT costs too much money to have someone rewrite the code just to get it running on Wii U. There is a lot of slowdown on Watchdogs, this is because what code works on ps3 and xbox 360 does not work on Wii U's cpu. I can imagine that they might have to change some gameplay to get the game running smoothly on wii U, but they didn't.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
You have to realize that NX is going to be next gen compared to ps4 and xbox one. Wii U is weird in that in most ways it is next gen compared to ps3 and xbox360 except the processor speed. IT has more ram and a superior GPU, which would mean it should be way better than those tow, but according to developers its CPU is weird and not as fast in clockrate. Developers could take advantage of the CPU in different ways, but they would have to reprogram the games.

As a programmer I understand some of this. When I write my code I test it constantly. There are some types of code you could write that's inefficient and may not be noticed on a faster cpu. On a slower CPU you might be like WTF? IT costs too much money to have someone rewrite the code just to get it running on Wii U. There is a lot of slowdown on Watchdogs, this is because what code works on ps3 and xbox 360 does not work on Wii U's cpu. I can imagine that they might have to change some gameplay to get the game running smoothly on wii U, but they didn't.

Gee it's like no one is making games for Nintendo's console because it's an expensive and complicated pain in the ass to do so.  But isn't all just a personal vendetta against Nintendo?  It couldn't be a BUSINESS reason, could it?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I don't think anyone has said they have a personal vendetta against Nintendo. Although there were some nasty comments thrown around by Frostbite engine devs, if I recall?

I believe the age-old adage goes: "Nintendo makes consoles they can program for." But that's pretty much it.