Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755160 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1975 on: December 29, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »
1080p does specify a vertical resolution as does 720p. 4K specify a small range of resolutions. Things get less specific pass WUXGA.

https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolution-confusion-1080p-2k-uhd-4k-and-what-they-all-mean/
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: December 29, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
Holiday Haul

- Shantae Half-Genie Hero Risky Beats Edition Physical Copy
- Firewatch Limited Run Physical Copy.
- Firewatch OST Vinyl
- Oxenfree OST Vinyl
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: December 29, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »
I bought BoxBoxBoy for 3DS because I'm finally on the verge of finishing the first one, and I bought Mario Party 2 and will be buying Mario Kart 64 for Wii U Virtual Console because New Year's is one of the few times I have the opportunity for local multiplayer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: December 29, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Never quote CNET (even though the article you linked to defines UHD or 4K - not cinema, as in a theater - as 3840x2160). If you agree that 1080p implies 1920x1080, then you have to agree that 2160p implies 3840x2160 - even though there a few examples of games on PS3 and Xbox 360 that have a 1080 vertical resolution and some odd vertical resolution like 1440 or even 800.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:17:37 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 29, 2016, 06:52:20 PM »
Fine this link then. http://4k.com/resolution/ Same thing, different site.

No one can make up their mind what 4K really is. 3840x2160 Is the minimum resolution to be considered 4K but horizontal pixels can go above 3840 and still be called 4k unlike 1080/720 where it is in the specification what the horizontal resolution is. 4K is a basket of resolutions, 1080/720 is not.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: December 29, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »
Yes, everyone can make up their mind. Whenever someone says "4K" - at least as far as video games or a television, they are talking about 3840x2160p. It is used interchangeably with UHD. Also that site is incorrect, it calls 3840x2160 QHD, but QHD is 2560x1440 (4x the resolution of 720p). I honestly can't believe this discussion is still going on. I give up.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: December 29, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »

My local pawn America was having a 40% off sale on used games. That was fun. I got a legit copy of Yoshi's Topsy Turvy for like $6.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:36:00 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: December 29, 2016, 09:17:46 PM »
FIFA 17 runs at native 4K (3840x2160p) @ 60FPS on PS4 Pro, so, suck it. OK, now I quit.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1983 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:24 PM »
Tempted to split that conversation off into a separate thread.

Anyway, purchases. My haul-iday consisted of buying:

- 1 yr PS+ at the old price (given that the alternative is #70BucksAYear, SUCK IT DOWN SONY)
- Bravely Second + Hyrule Warriors Legends for $30 ea on a Amazon Canada deal
- Got a PS4 for Christmas, so I snagged Doom for $30
- A 2TB "Firecuda" hybrid drive from Seagate for about $135 after tax for the PS4.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 29, 2016, 09:45:11 PM »
I bought the Daisy Amiibo because Daisy. I have Wind Walker Link and Zelda as well as Callie and Marie "Saved for Later" on Amazon. I got Daisy for $7 so I'm waiting for the others to hopefully drop under $20.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: December 29, 2016, 10:25:53 PM »

Heh. I did the same thing. But they had no stock on the games so I'm not sure how long the wait will be until they finally ship.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: December 30, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »

Nice! When did that happen?  My wallet is happy that I didn't know...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 30, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
Monday. One of the few Boxing Day sales that occurred.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: January 01, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »
I've had River City: Tokyo Rumble on my mind for a while.

Technナ行 Japan were a power house in 80s arcade culture. Not only did they provide early innovation in PvP (Karate Champ) and cooperative (Double Dragon) play; their games evoked the same milieu that the Wu Tang Clan has so brilliantly experimented with over the years.

East and Southeast Asian communities were a growing demographic force in the US during the Golden Age of arcade games. The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 had eliminated discriminatory racial and ethnic quotas in the US immigration system, paving the way for new groups to integrate into American life.

In addition to having the typical economic and culinary impacts, new artistic trends began to emerge that amalgamated preexisting Asian and American forms. In the eastern Mid Atlantic, many of the developments in fashion, cinema, and other forms of pop art reflected the larger urbanity they emerged in.

Kung fu shoes and Cheongsam dresses were integrated with local styles. Logograms and other Asian iconography became more prominent parts of the public landscape. Hong Kong Cinema was increasingly influential, first as a staple of independent theaters and film festivals, and then as core programming for Saturday afternoon and late night television.

Asian and western filmmakers were brewing pulpy combinations of martial arts action, crime genres, and westerns:

1971       The Big Boss (Fists of Fury)
1972       Fists of Fury (The Chinese Connection)/Five Fingers of Death
1973       Way of the Dragon (Enter the Dragon)
1974       The Street Fighter
1976       Master of the Flying Guillotine
1977       Executioners from Shaolin
1978       Game of Death/Five Deadly Venoms/The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
1979       Mystery of Chess Boxing
1979       The Warriors /The Wanderers*
1980       Clan of the White Lotus
1981       Escape from New York*
1982       Legendary Weapons of China
1983       The 8 Diagram Pool Fighter/Shaolin and Wu Tang
1984       Karate Champ Player vs Player (Arcade)
1985       Police Story
1985       The Last Dragon*/Year of the Dragon*/Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins*
1986       Big Trouble in Little China* (this is obviously set in San Francisco, but I think it could have just as easily been set in NYC  - unlike The Karate Kid's very West Coast/suburban vibe.)
1986       A Better Tomorrow
1986       Renegade (Arcade)/Tag Team Wrestling (NES)
1987       City on Fire
1987       Double Dragon (Arcade)/Super Dodge Ball (Arcade)/Renegade (NES)
1988       City War
1988       Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arcade)/Double Dragon (NES)/Super Dodge Ball (NES)
1989       The Killer
1989       River City Ransom (NES)/ Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES)
1990       Bullet in the Head
1990       Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone (Arcade)

Technナ行 Japan seemed to overtly draw on these sources:

The Warriors

The Wanderers

Renegade (Arcade)

Renegade (NES)

Whatever the degree of actual influence, Renegade and the Double Dragon series complemented these films, and Technナ行 Japan was able to add depth to their own worlds by drawing from the public consciousness.

But Technナ行 Japan's arcade cabinets themselves were already integrated into the neighborhoods. Karate Champ Player vs Player was wildly popular, and well suited to the range of bars, bodegas, and laundromats that random cabinets could be found in. Double Dragon added cooperative play, and rewarded longer and better coordinated sessions, making it a perfect game for the corner pizza shop.

It was Technナ行 Japan's continuous presence in the neighborhoods, and their knack for tapping into both preexisting cultural vibes and changing demographic trends, that made them such an integral part of the moment. The streets and subways of the eastern Mid Atlantic already promised excitement. Technナ行 Japan added to the sense of adventure:

Faber's, Coney Island, Brooklyn (around-the-corner from where The Warriors concludes).

Playland, Times Square, New York

Chinatown Fair, Chinatown, New York

Video games are frequently compared with music for good reason. Both mediums share a powerful ability to evoke nostalgia, which itself is a reflection of how they provide cultural context to our daily lives. River City: Tokyo Rumble looks to be an interesting enough experience in its own right. But its more obvious promise is to add some freshness to a walk down memory lane.

My Kunio-Kun/Double Dragon 3DS Digital Collection:
Renegade, Super Dodge Ball, River City Ransom, Crash n the Boys: Street Challenge, River City: Tokyo Rumble; Double Dragon, Double Dragon II

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:02:50 AM by rygar »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 01, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
Grabbed Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Wii) for the kids. We have more than enough figures that are backwards compatible, and for $5 it gave them another "new to us" game to enjoy over the holidays.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 01, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
Technナ行 Japan were a power house in 80s arcade culture. ...
Cool article, rygar!
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 01, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
Thanks!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 03, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
I just bought Football Manager 2017. Despite my rabid soccer fandom and complete addiction to EA's FIFA games, this series has never really grabbed me the way I expected it to, but I had the itch for it recently so I picked it up.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: January 03, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
I'm glad more people are going to be playing Bravely Second. It's not without its flaws, but I think it's a great game that does a good job addressing a lot of the issues in Bravely Default.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 18, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Two purchases this week:

(1) La-Mulana EX (Vita) - Digital sale making it convenient to play again was too good to ignore. There's been a few people talk about this game in these forums, most of whom are better at the game than I. La-Mulana is ridiculous in some of the puzzles presented, but also feels really good in a wildly unforgiving old-school way.

(2) The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (Vita) - Couldn't turn down a relatively cheap, used physical copy of this game. Like the series well enough and Vita games are becoming harder to track down. There are still a few on my "really want" list... but this purchase makes that list one game shorter.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: February 24, 2017, 12:48:37 AM »
I just got Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice from the sale on the eshop.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: February 25, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
Traded some of my old Wii games for a copy of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS) plus some cash.

Felt kind of bad getting rid of Dokapon Kingdom, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Shiren the Wanderer, and Castle of Shikigami III... but slimming down my Wii collection a little bit won't hurt and the pricing was fair (I think) for both sides.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: February 25, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
Please tell me you didn't trade in Radiant Dawn for less that $100. That is a super rare game that you could probably sell on eBay for a lot of cash. If you did this at Gamestop I guarantee you got ripped off and should run back and reverse the trade, last I checked you could do that a short bit after doing the trade.

Also heard Dokapon Kingdom is also rather hard to come by.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:44:01 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: February 25, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »
Please tell me you didn't trade in Radiant Dawn for less that $100. That is a super rare game that you could probably sell on eBay for a lot of cash. If you did this at Gamestop I guarantee you got ripped off and should run back and reverse the trade, last I checked you could do that a short bit after doing the trade.

Also heard Dokapon Kingdom is also rather hard to come by.

Deal was $200 CAD+Pokemon for the four Wii games. Definitely not max value for me, but I have my reasons - only paid $50 CAD for all games combined back in the day, was happy to hang out with a friendly local gamer and give him a bit of a deal, and prefer cash in my pocket to the hassle of online sales.

Dokapon Kingdom is probably the only game I feel bad about selling. It's kind of awesome. Wii has lots of party games, but nothing else quite the same.

Fire Emblem is fantastic, but with so many games from the series now coming out I'm never going back to replay it. If there weren't so many 3DS games getting released I would have had a harder time letting go.

Shiren and Castle are both fine games... but my backlog is stuffed to the brim with fine games. Still considering getting the Vita Shiren as replacement (it's cheaper than what I sold the Wii game for) but will probably pass.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: February 25, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
I just sank $600 into buying the rest of what I need for my PC after getting a $400 GPU for christmas, so... after I finish building this beast, I have quite a bit of gaming to do of games I got but my PC couldn't handle before it died.