Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1157424 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)
« Reply #2975 on: December 08, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »
I generally agree with your opinion that profanity liberally tossed around is not humor, and can sometimes soil humor.  But given that Wade was pretty crass prior to becoming Deadpool and then basically becomes an unhinged lunatic, I don't see how it isn't a natural fit in this instance.
I don’t know if I’m just not explaining myself well enough. I don’t have any inherent issues with something, particularly Deadpool, being crass and vulgar. He shoots a guy and says, “Cumshot!” which I think works for the character. There comes a point where there’s so much of it that it feels forced as if the writers or Ryan Reynolds heaped on more profanity because they could, and it became distracting to me. I didn’t think it played well on screen, and I really don’t mean to argue or try to convince anyone otherwise. I mean, I laughed at first, but then it kept going and I didn’t think it was funny anymore. It took away from the moments when profanity and crassness does work. Weasel describing how ugly Wade Wilson looks was a great and legitimately funny exchange albeit mostly improv. Other times, I rolled my eyes and thought, “Cool, you got an R rating. I get it.”

Please don't get the impression i'm trying to be argumentative, i'm just trying to have a friendly conversation :D .

I don't remember it being that bad, but it's also been over a year since I saw the movie. 

I felt that way about Logan.  It seemed like they just threw around the f-word for no fucking reason.

I felt it was more glaring in something like Logan where I hadn't seen any stand-alone Wolverine movies before and only had the Xmen movies as a guidepost of what to expect.

In Deadpool, the first movie was them world building.  They built a world where they're vulgar, crass, and curse like a kid first learning the F word.  It worked for me, but I understand why someone else might take issue.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: December 08, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »
More info on this Disney buyout (it's happening... it's almost here)
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-fox-goldman-sachs-centerview-jp-morgan-guggenheim-partners-1202634210/

and Comcast owned CNBC seems to agree that Disney should be the purchaser of Fox... not Comcast. O_o
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/08/for-fox-and-the-murdochs-they-may-be-better-off-selling-to-disney-than-comcast.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:41:03 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:41 AM »
For right now, the X-men are not as important to the MCU as the next villain. They need to set up the post Infinity Gauntlet idea in either Captain Marvel or Avengers 4. Doom is the only villain I can think of that can follow Thanos and it not be a let down or contrived.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: December 09, 2017, 03:20:00 AM »
Galactus?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: December 11, 2017, 05:01:19 PM »
New international Black Panther Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=hjm9TvyPzxo

can't wait till January when the BP HYPE trail leaves the station.
(it's currently being occupied by Star Wars fans)

Disney gonna need more trains soon.

p.s. X-men coming home soon
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fox-m-a-comcast-exclusive/exclusive-comcast-drops-bid-for-fox-assets-leaving-disney-in-pole-position-idUSKBN1E52OM
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:37:53 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: December 12, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »
The Punisher renewed for S2
https://twitter.com/ThePunisher/status/940687788072058881

hopefully they get it out in 2018. 1st season was good.
Best Netflix show from start to finish since DD S1

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: December 15, 2017, 01:56:35 AM »
Someone updated the Marvel movie rights chart

I'm expecting some IP rights shuffling at some point to lessen the number of circles on the board to closer to 1.

The question is, what are they willing to trade for, and what is Disney willing to give up?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2983 on: December 15, 2017, 06:28:40 AM »
Aliens and predators franchise would be good to give up. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2984 on: December 16, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »
The overlaps are pretty interesting.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: December 16, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
I don't care what people say, this is a good thing. I don't care about impact to the industry, because I don't think it will doom everything. Though really, I suspect a number of properties will move away from Disney as they work to finish bringing their children home.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
My Baby Reviews MCU - My MCU Infinity Rewatch
« Reply #2986 on: December 18, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
I've started an MCU rewatch with my daughter as she is only 5, LOVES the Avengers but the movies have been coming out for far longer than she's been alive, so it's not likely she's seen all the movies, nor remembers most of the ones she has (I've taken her to the theater for each one since she's been born :) ) I want her to be all caught up before Black Panther, and especially before Infinity War.

Tonite was Ironman -
Her favorite parts where:
-When the terrorist tried to shoot the original IM suit point blank in the head, but it bounced back and killed himself
-Then when IM tried to do first flight, but crashed into the wall in the background.
-Also when he perfected the suit, went to fight the terrorist at their encampment, and punched that guy in the stomach so hard, he flew up and hit a wall in the background.
-Finally, when the tank shot him out the sky, fired another large round at IM that he dodged, only to have IM return fire w/ a mini missile that blew up the tank.

(all her words... j/k)
but she loved all the humorous parts.
I told her next up is The Incredible HULK, and I don't remember too many humorous parts, so we'll see what she thinks of that one when we watch it.

edit:
here's some BP promo art
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/black_panther/black-panther-the-king-of-wakanda-killmonger-the-dora-milaje-leap-into-action-in-new-promo-art-a156393
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:57:00 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: December 30, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
Ant-Man and the Wasp photo

the promo art shows the Wasp wearing yellow where the grey is, so I'm assuming the grey just filmed better, and the yellow will be added later?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: December 30, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »
Maybe its an evolution of the suit that happens during the movie? After all, the suit wasn't even done at the end of Ant-Man.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: January 02, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
Watched TIH with my daughter last night.

We had a pretty long weekend of late nights and all day play sessions, so I started this one early in the night, and she almost fell asleep just before the final battle. I had too much stuff to read to her that I don't think she quite following until I just gave her the summary explanation afterwards. Mostly the conversations between Mr. Green and Mr. Blue.

She didn't have too much to say about the movie itself, but she couldn't believe how Betsy Ross was talking to Bruce in the movie "Did she just say that to the Hulk!!!? Doesn't she know who she's talking too!!!!"

Now that I think about it, she mostly only commented on the Betsy scenes... like at the end when she was staring at a pic of Bruce... "She's missing her Bruce isn't she?"

There wasn't much in the way of humor in this film, and since this is my first rewatch of these movies since The Avengers happened PHASES AGO!!!!, it's quite noticeable how much the Hulk's look has changed, how much better the CGI is nowadays, and how the tone, feel, and look of these movies in general are much different from TIH.
It's understandable why Betsy will never be seen again.
But will we ever find out what happened to Mr. Blue? We last seen him with his head swelling and a large cartoonish grin on his face. (He was supposed to become The Leader, right?)
I believe it was the same General Ross that appeared in Civil War, right?

I think she will be much more into Ironman 2 this upcoming weekend.
a little Black Widow in the mix with more Ironman action with Tony Stark humor.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2990 on: January 02, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
Watched TIH with my daughter last night.

Took me forever to realize that meant The Incredible Hulk, lol.

But will we ever find out what happened to Mr. Blue? We last seen him with his head swelling and a large cartoonish grin on his face. (He was supposed to become The Leader, right?)

Probz not at this point.  Unless they really want the callback for AoS or Disney gets the Hulk rights.

I believe it was the same General Ross that appeared in Civil War, right?

Yes. William Hurt both times.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: January 05, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
Monica Rambeau aka Spectrum cast for Captain Marvel!?
http://deadline.com/2018/01/shes-gotta-have-it-dewanda-wise-captain-marvel-brie-larson-1202235891/

I don't know the characters that well, or anything about Monica's origin, but considering this movie supposedly takes place in the past, before somehow being time displaced into the future, things could certainly get interesting in A4.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2993 on: January 05, 2018, 11:40:52 AM »
She is famous for being the second Captain Marvel, IIRC, and a former leader of the Avengers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: January 05, 2018, 12:34:03 PM »
She is famous for being the second Captain Marvel, IIRC, and a former leader of the Avengers.

I heard she was the 1st Captain Marvel. Seems to be point of controversy about Carol Danvers being the MCU version over Monica Rambeau.
But Feige also said Carol will be the most powerful MCU character yet (or did he say Avenger?), but I heard Spectrum is actually more powerful since she is the spectrum of light?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2996 on: January 05, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »

I heard she was the 1st Captain Marvel. Seems to be point of controversy about Carol Danvers being the MCU version over Monica Rambeau.
But Feige also said Carol will be the most powerful MCU character yet (or did he say Avenger?), but I heard Spectrum is actually more powerful since she is the spectrum of light?

There was a dude Captain Marvel named Mar Vell who both characters took after.  Monica was Captain Marvel before Carol, however.

Carol would be the most powerful character if added to the universe as-is, but Monica is not confirmed, so I wouldn't be surprised at Feige saying that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: January 08, 2018, 02:11:41 AM »
Watched Iron Man 2 with my daughter.

She was way more into this than the Hulk movie.
She know Tony, and Happy, and Black Widow and Nick Fury on sight. I was trying to get her to remember Agent Coulson so that it has some impact later when we get to The Avengers, even showed her the 2 One Shots that kinda tie in with where we are so far.

She was totally excited once Black Widow started kicking ass, talking about how BW was her favorite next to BP, SM and Thor.
She also started immediately reminiscing about the 1st Ironman movie when War Machine whet to his Whiplash with the "Ex-Wife" and it was a total nerf gun did. She started recalling "when Iron Man did the same thing to a tank, only it exploded everywhere!!!" she then went on to talk about "the time Tony made a suit in the cave and the guy tried to shoot in in the head, but it bounced off and killed himself"

Whats funny is she kept anticipating a kissing scene was coming up, and I completely forgot about the rooftop makeout between Tony and Pepper, but my daughter was ready (and no, she's never seen this movie before). She turned her head as soon as it was about to happen and let me know I got it wrong for telling her there was nothing to worry about in this movie. LOL oops my bad.

Then came the end credits scene. She was so excited to see Thor's hammer, that she was already planning when we were supposed to watch the next movie. Now I'm excited to watch it with her knowing that she's super into all these movies too. :)

so next movie up: Thor

edit: at this pace of 1 movie a week, we'll be watching Thor 2 the opening week of Black Panther, and would have to rewatch BP the week before the opening of Infinity War. We'll be all caught up JUST IN TIME!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:15:26 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: January 08, 2018, 02:42:57 AM »
Finally watched The Punisher over the weekend.

Gosh dang, this series was amazing.

I know very little about the Punisher, but knew enough to get excited when he started really fudging up Billy's face.  Don't know enough about Jigsaw to get excited about that, but pretty much excited to know they've planned for a Season 2.  I mean, you *know* they did... but that hook was enough to make me okay with the season being over.

Oh, I don't have Hulu... what's the deal with Runaways?  I googled to see when it started and come to find out, it's nearly over... but I've not really heard much of a peep out of people about it.  Any good?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:44:38 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: January 08, 2018, 03:01:12 AM »
I'm enjoying The Runaways. I don't know anything about the comics at all, so I have no opinion on how they are handling the characters or who they should be focusing on, but so far it's been entertaining.

I would love if they did the Netflix binge approach, but I very much get the long standing appeal of a weekly release format to keep that suspense and water cooler convo happening every week. It gives people to time to spread WOM and then others a chance to get caught up and join in the weekly discussions.

I think there are just a few episodes left... (2-3?) and we've brought it up here before, but I think there were only 2 of us watching it and I don't think either of us are familiar w/ any of the characters or the story, so just kinda waiting to see how it all plays out in the end.