Author Topic: Fire Emblem Interview  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem Interview
« on: October 03, 2005, 05:45:33 PM »
Discuss our interview with the localization team here.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Fire Emblem Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:08:35 PM »
I don't mean to sound as though I'm mindlessly complimenting our site, but I think this was an excellent interview.  Tim, Rich and Alan (heck, the whole localization team) really are unsung heroes.  After reading many recent Nintendo interviews with the same exact Revolution content, it's nice to have a change of pace, where the interviewees may speak more freely.

I'm also impressed that Dragona didn't bite any heads after the question on the localized version's difficulty. (They're doing the right thing, Dragona!)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:13:51 PM »
Yeah, I really liked this interview too.  Which surprised me, because I'm not really "into" Fire Emblem, but there was other interesting stuff as well.  If they decided to localise Ouendan, I would totally buy it, just for the curiosity factor to see HOW they managed to localise such a game.  Most of the game's charm is that it's so unashamedly Japanese-y.

It's also cool to hear that they would like to see more text adventures come out!  Hooray for adventure gaming!  I'm hoping that Phoenix Wright and Trace Code/Another Memory/whatever sell nicely to encourage more of these type of games to come out.  I'd like to see the rest of the Phoenix games get localised, I've found the first one really fun from what I've played so far.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 09:20:52 PM »
"Alan: That and dating sims. There is a terrible lack of high school dating simulators over here!"

I concur.   With Peach getting her own platformer, I'd welcome a touch-tastic dating-adventure starring Daisy.  On Rev.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 09:23:59 PM »
I don't think Daisy is in high school.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 09:29:03 PM »
I hope Alan's dating sim comment was a joke.  But Ouendan is for real.  What a GREAT game!  I can see it working in the U.S. in a bizarre Katamari Damacy way, but there is the practical problem of rewriting the text so that it still fits in the manga speech bubbles, which are vertically oriented in the Japanese version.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 11:55:02 PM »
By the way, IGN has another Fire Emblem interview, with Alan Averill and Tim O'Leary, for anyone who wants to read more.

I hope Alan's dating sim comment was a joke.

I hope not. All we've ever gotten in America was a "dating sim element" in Thousand Arms for the PSone (which I enjoyed), Sprung for the DS, and a few dozen hentai games on the PC. All of which are widely considered to be VERY weak examples of the genre.

And Alan is a blue (Dragon Quest) Slime Plushie, so I don't think he was joking.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:Fire Emblem Interview
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 02:38:51 AM »
Great interview. [edit: I'm reffering to the PGC one, of course. Though the IGN interview was good too.]

And I too hope for Japanese dating sims...... why not port at least some of them over? Couldn't really hurt, could it?  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 07:44:10 AM »
Do difficult settings eat my space or something?  Would it be difficult to leave maniac mode in and add easy mode?  It's not a big deal I'm just curious.  Usually I don't like the idea of lowering difficulty but this is going from super insane hard to just regular insane hard so it's not exactly "never dying in Wind Waker" or anything like that.  This is Nintendo's big 2005 Cube release so it's important that the game be accessible.  Besides the only people who want the game to be harder are going to import anyway.  I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't import the Japanese Fire Emblems complain that the game is too easy.

It was a good interview.  I enjoyed reading it and there was an honesty in the responses that made it more enjoyable.  Most Nintendo interviews are full of non-answers and PR speak and it can be frustrating to read.  These guys seem more down to Earth, like they're just a couple of guys.  When they said "we don't know, that's not our expertise" it seemed like they genuinely don't know and aren't just trying to hide everything from us.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 09:06:08 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
And I too hope for Japanese dating sims...... why not port at least some of them over? Couldn't really hurt, could it?
Apparently you've never heard of Jack Thompson.  He'd rip the industry a new one if dating sims starting coming to the United States.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 10:16:24 AM »
Jackass Thompson is an idiot noone should care about. There are hentai games brought to the US, even the infamous Water Closet. Thompson didn't say anything.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 10:56:38 AM »
Of course you'd say that since you've been desensitized by violent and graphic video games.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Dragona Akehi

• Staff Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 02:34:08 PM »
A few things.

First of all, while I miss Maniac mode, evidently our Hard mode is harder than the Japanese one. I'm not positive though until I play it. But Maniac was insanely hard. I loved it, but I don't think most people over here would even finish a mission, let  alone the whole game as it. I'd have preferred as a "super secret unlockable", but you can't have everything! I'm just so happy that Fire Emblem is finally out in English and is getting the attention it deserves!

One of the more gnawing questions that I have wanted to ask (and thankfully got answered!) was about the names. It is very jarring to go from Tiamat to Titiana, or Noel to Knoll. While I may not 100% agree with that decision, their reasoning is sound. That and the fact that they have such close contact with Intelligent Systems is always a great thing in my books.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 02:56:41 PM »
Awesome, great interview.  I really love interviews with the Treehouse crew, cuz it's a little easier to relate to Americans.  Y'know, I'd like to see a Retro interview, now that I think about it.
Anyway, in addition to them being American this is actually the sort of job I might like to have.  Working for Nintendo, doing writing.  That'd be awesome.  So I relate to them, and it's nice to read what they've got to say.
Plus I'm looking forward to Path of Radiance more than ever now
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 05:02:09 PM »
First off, the [almost] mandatory sucking-up.

Great interview by PGC as always. Double thanks for taking our questions and putting them in. I'd humbly suggest doing this a little more often. I know some of the questions we had were a little tough or somewhat unrelated to their positions, but its nice to know that some of the questions are from the us, the fans who will ultimately buy this title. Not to mention try and co-opt others to do the same thing too...

Doing these interviews is already a good sign that Fire Emblem will be getting some definate coverage. They've already made their prescence known to the hardcore gamers, now if NOA's sales and marketing or   could slip in something as an incentive...  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa