Author Topic: Super NES Classic Edition Announced, Includes Unreleased Star Fox 2  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

Among other Super FX games.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/44911/super-nes-classic-edition-announced-includes-unreleased-star-fox-2

This fall, we'll be playing with Super power again.

Nintendo of America has announced a Super NES Classic Mini for release on September 29. The box will retail for US$79.99/C$99.99, and will come with two Super Nintendo classic controllers, a USB AC adapter and an HDMI cord. In addition, 21 games will be in the box:

• First Party: Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, F-Zero, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Course, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Star Fox, Star Fox 2*, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out!!, Yoshi's Island
  • Third Party: Contra III: The Alien Wars (Konami), Final Fantasy III (SquareEnix), Mega Man X (Capcom), Secret of Mana (SquareEnix), Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Capcom), Super Castlevania IV (Konami), Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Capcom)
  • * never before released, must beat the first level of Star Fox to unlock

The model will release in Europe as well the same day, with the same lineup but a PAL-inspired SNES design. All of the games on the European model will be 60hz US versions.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super NES Classic Edition Announced: Includes Unreleased Star Fox 2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »
Sweet Jebus...

Pre-orders haven't gone up yet and this is probably somehow already sold out everywhere forever.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Damn Star Fox 2! Just the fact they've got Star Fox and Yoshi's Island is cool but Star Fox 2 is crazy.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
Lol "retailer info coming soon". Sure NOA, sure.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
That is a great collection of games!  They did a good job working with third parties.  The price is a little out of my range, unfortunately.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »
I was really enjoying finally not having to hear people constantly bitch about the NES classic and now this.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
Unlike NES Classic that looked "neat", I actually really want this one.
*sigh*
Of course wanting it and actually having an opportunity to buy isn't the same when it comes to Nintendo.
Knowing I probably won't be able to buy one is depressing.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
It doesn't even have as many games as the NES classic. It's like Nintendo wants me to just give them the middle finger and get a Retrofreak.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
It doesn't even have as many games as the NES classic. It's like Nintendo wants me to just give them the middle finger and get a Retrofreak.

The quality of games is very high though - much higher than NES Classic, I'd argue.
While not exactly the games I would choose, it's a fantastic selection overall.

And comparison to RetroFreak isn't really valid unless you discount the cost of having to find/buy all those old carts.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »

The quality of games is very high though - much higher than NES Classic, I'd argue.
While not exactly the games I would choose, it's a fantastic selection overall.

And comparison to RetroFreak isn't really valid unless you discount the cost of having to find/buy all those old carts.
it does ROMS as well

I could also just homebrew my Wii U which has inherited a wide variety of emulation options from the Wii AND can natively play Gamecune games.

I was willing to support a digital service like the Virtual Console Back when Nintendo seemed to be willing to support it but since that no longer seems to be the case I'm probably going to go for the less legal option for my Retro Gaming fix. It's better than clogging all of my HDMI ports with plug and play consoles that I had to pay $800 each for.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:46:39 PM by Donkepal148 Kong »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »
UPDATE: NoA has confirmed to Kotaku that they only plan to ship SNES Classics until the end of the calendar year. http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-snes-classic-1796418700
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts is the only one of these titles aside from the obvious one that I don't own a cart of and I actually did own one for a bit but it was gliching on me so I returned it.

Okay, so the NES Classic was cool but every game was available in some legal format.  It was really the novelty and convenience of owning it all in one package that made it a desirable but unessential product.  But now we've got Star Fox 2 here so there's incentive for gamers to buy this JUST for that.  Unless they've got a VC release waiting in the wings that is the only way to get this game without pirating it.  So the demand should be even higher than it was for the NES Classic because as cool as that product was a hardcore gamer wasn't missing out by not being able to get one.  This is essentially releasing a limited edition GAME that we can probably safely guess will not be made anywhere close to suitable quantities.

Normally this product with Star Fox 2 would have me raving about it for being such a cool product.  Instead, because of how much they bungled the NES Classic, I'm really pissed off.  It goes from being an awesome bonus to a taunting "**** you".

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
So, no Wii Remote connectors for the controllers this time?  :( Unless they actually include decent length cords this time, people who bought extensions for the NES Classic controller will have to buy new ones. Well, at least it includes both controllers out of the box this time.

Unlike the NES Classic, I'm actually interested in this one as I don't still have my SNES... not to mention that StarFox 2 inclusion. But at $80 it'll likely be out of my budget come the holidays... that is it's even stocked in stores this time. Though I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it were, since not only is the SNES less iconic, Nintendo no doubt upped production in response to last years debacle. Neither outcome would surprise me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
UPDATE: NoA has confirmed to Kotaku that they only plan to ship SNES Classics until the end of the calendar year. http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-snes-classic-1796418700
Dear Nintendo,

Sincerely,
Everyone

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
But now we've got Star Fox 2 here so there's incentive for gamers to buy this JUST for that.  Unless they've got a VC release waiting in the wings that is the only way to get this game without pirating it.  So the demand should be even higher than it was for the NES Classic because as cool as that product was a hardcore gamer wasn't missing out by not being able to get one.  This is essentially releasing a limited edition GAME that we can probably safely guess will not be made anywhere close to suitable quantities.

Yes, I was thinking about this news the same way a bit. The NES Classic was a neat little idea but I didn't have much interest in it and still don't. I always figured if there was an SNES Classic then I might be more tempted and I definitely am especially with the news of Star Fox 2.

That said, I'm probably going to pass on this like I did the NES Classic. Ultimately, I already own most of what I'd want to play either originally or through Virtual Console with a couple exceptions. Truthfully, there are some games listed I really have no interest in playing or have become out-dated and hard to get into anymore and there are some I've played too much and am burnt out on. There are about 6 - 7 titles that I'd really want to play or replay again but I can live without paying and fighting to get a copy of the SNES Classic to access them.

But what about Star Fox 2? Going back to games that are out-dated, Star Fox SNES falls in that category a bit. I've tried it a couple times with the SNES copy I own but the bare polygon look makes it hard to get into nor did I find the game that engaging. Star Fox 2 has always looked like more of the same so I don't think it will be some huge loss to my well-being or gaming abilities if I don't ever play it. Moreover, I highly suspect it will become available through other means now that Nintendo is releasing it on the Classic. Sin & Punishment 64 made it to the Wii and then the Wii U VC. Earthbound took forever to re-release but it came out on the Wii U, 3DS and is now being put on this SNES Classic. Xenoblade Chronicles was released with a NEW 3DS version and a Wii U VC for those unable to find copies. Metroid Prime Trilogy was put on the Wii U VC. Nintendo seems to be getting better and better at re-releasing hard to acquire games somehow through virtual services. Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings got a surprise release that no one expected or had asked for. Maybe there is a wait before Star Fox 2 gets released to the Switch or 3DS, which isn't unusual, but, again, I'm not in a hurry to play the game right away anyways.

The ironic thing is that after being resistant to the VC through the Wii and most of the Wii U years, the last year or two I've been thinking of just going all-in on the VC service and rebuying as much of my game library as possible on it in order to reduce the amount of systems I need to hook up and play to access different games. Ultimately, I may still need to keep them around for some 3rd party games that are stuck in legal limbo or just aren't being offered on the VC but, as the systems get older and batteries in the cartridges wear out, it might be best to just put as much as I can on one system for ease of access and sell off the physical copies while they are still worth it. I say it is ironic since Nintendo now seems to be moving away from the VC system or at least has been frustratingly mum on it leaving me wondering whether I should bother following through on that plan or not. Instead, it seems to want to go this classic route with re-releasing their games at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:31:53 PM by Donkenada Kong »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
Limited run product gonna be limited.

I would love to buy one; I doubt I will have the chance.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Super NES Classic Edition Announced, Includes Unreleased Star Fox 2
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »
Well, i'd love to get one, we'll see what happens.

Smartest move they made was bundling the 2nd controller.  With them including a game that would mostly excite enthusiasts (Starfox 2), you'd hope they'd know who is going to be angling for these.  Fingers crossed for pre-orders, but I have sincere doubts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 07:15:02 PM »
Is this thing coming September 29th? I thought for sure this was going to be the November/Black Friday Nintendo product.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »
Well, Nintendo has an actually console to sell this holiday, so it makes sense to push up the novelty item.

Nintendo better have a healthy stock of these things.  The outcry from the NES Classic and the reaction to this should tell them to make more than last time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »
What if the Switch production has been constrained because the factories are all making SNES classics?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:40:15 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline ForgottenPearl

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »
Scalpers are going to have a field day with this.  The sheer stupidity of how Nintendo handled the NES Classic has me totally apathetic to this.  The lack of DKC2 and 3 is also a bit disappointing.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 09:41:08 PM »
Scalpers are going to have a field day with this.  The sheer stupidity of how Nintendo handled the NES Classic has me totally apathetic to this.  The lack of DKC2 and 3 is also a bit disappointing.

Is there a scalper forum or Facebook group or something? I'm curious how much they are rubbing their greedy little paws together.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 02:20:08 AM »
I really wish it had all three DKC games, but Im very happy with the game list. Very surprised to see Star Fox 2 on there.

I preordered one as soon as it went up on EB's website this morning.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 08:28:01 AM »
Pretty good list on here yeah, although I'm not sure why they didn't just put all DKC games on it, especially since the sequels are the best ones? Would also have been cool if they just did all the Final Fantasies and especially Chrono Trigger, maybe a Ninja Turtles game too. Axelay could've filled the shmup shaped hole.

May sound entitled to just demand a lot more games, but many of these are available on various eShops. It's kinda strange that an RPG machine like the SNES just has representation here with only 3 titles, and other genres like fighting, sports, and shoot-em-up are barely represented.

Oh well, cool that Star Fox 2 is getting a release though. Hopefully it'll come to eShop too. I imagine this will be a hard to find product because of Star Fox 2 and the precedent set by NES classic mini.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 09:54:27 AM »
What if the Switch production has been constrained because the factories are all making SNES classics?

Not generally how production works.  It's more likely they shut the valve on the NES classic and used that production bandwidth to focus on the SNES Classic than them lowering their Switch production in order to give this product daylight.

Not only that, but the articles I've read stated the Switch's commonality with components in Apple products are creating a shortage of the components they need, not necessarily production bandwidth.