Author Topic: Super Destronaut DX (Switch) Review  (Read 742 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Super Destronaut DX (Switch) Review
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »

In space, nobody can hear you shoot, right?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/47782/super-destronaut-dx-switch-review

Admittedly, Ratalaika and Petite Games didn't have to do much to get me interested in Super Destronaut DX. When it comes to any sort of Space Invaders clone, I am the king in devouring them. It helps that Super Destronaut, the original game on Wii U, was actually quite an enjoyable game. Sure, there were bland parts to the experience, but the core gameplay was absolutely there. Now the game is back with a vengeance, and it is better than ever before.

This is a straight up homage to the classic game. You move your ship left and right, all the while trying to hit the aliens along the way. The feeling is instantly satisfying as there is a weight to it. While it does plenty of elements similarly, there are aspects that are unquestionably easier than in the Taito original. The enemy patterns aren't that hard to overcome. Every mistake comes down to misclicking and not being careful enough. The individual parts of the waves can be seen through by taking your time carefully.

The power of Super Destronaut DX comes from hammering down the core. By going through the wave's heart, you will shoot down the orange enemy present. This will grant you a special power that helps you build up combos and get yourself a high score. It ranges from bombs, to a spreader that makes the treat almost null. It is fun to blast through, but it all comes down to timing. You need to pay attention at every step, see what lies ahead and make careful observations. Once you get into that groove, you will climb that ladder step by step.

A big improvement over the original are the variety of modes. Classic Mode is to achieve blasting glory, Time Attack for additional pressure and Hardcore for the true challenge. Two player is back as well, though sadly this is only in the time mode. Back on the positives, Petite Games did see fit to add 30 challenges to the mix. They see you performing certain tasks and keeping your eyes glued to the screen. I ran through them real fast, but they were entertaining at least. The biggest improvement, however, are the addition of online leaderboards for most of the options present.

In comparison to the original on Wii U, Super Destronaut DX does look more interesting as a product. It is mostly restricted to one background, but there are more things going on. It is very neon, bright and quite pleasant to look at. The alien designs aren't too interesting, which is a growing point of annoyance. They feel less stylish than the other labour put into Petite's games. At the very least, the music gave me good vibes and kept me rocking for a while.

Super Destronaut DX is somewhat of an improvement. While the solid gameplay and music is still present, the variety of modes is much larger. The title isn't overly difficult, particularly for a veteran, but it is fun time waster that I have no problem turning on. Online leaderboards ensures that it has a bit more longevity, something that was incredibly lacking in the Wii U game. The presentation hasn't improved too much sadly, and it is more irritating than it should be. In any case, if you are in need of an arcade style game, you can do far worse than this one.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Super Destronaut DX (Switch) Review
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 04:29:08 AM »
I have played the previous two games in the series in 3DS and Wii U. I bought this one a few days ago. I think it is probably the best out of the three.