Author Topic: How's your E3 so far?  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: How's your E3 so far?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:52 PM »
My main issue with Bethesda is that it announced two games that not only definitely won’t be out this year but may not even be out this generation.

Yes, Nintendo’s was very good. Also, Sakurai looks like he noticeably aged. He now looks 23 years old.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
Smash Bros alone won E3, nothing else can even compete.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
Smash Bros alone won E3, nothing else can even compete.
Yeah, I just can't agree with that. It's a greatest hits Smash Bros., which is cool & I'm definitely going to get it, but I didn't see anything particularly interesting or exciting about it. It's just more Smash Bros. with characters we already know + Ridley.

I found Nintendo's Direct to be pretty lackluster. It was pretty much the opposite of Sony's conference: a very strong start followed by a poor, slow as **** ending.

The new Fire Emblem looks great. Assuming they're not going to gouge us with 3 releases again, I'll check that out. Aside from that, the only other game that interested me was Smash, and they spent WAAAAAAAAY too much time going into every minute, boring detail of it. By the end, I just didn't care anymore.

Overall, I though Sony had the best content, but among the worst execution. It also had some of the worst variety of any of the conferences. Nintendo had among the best execution, but some of the weakest content (though not as bad as Square Enix). I have to split the difference and give the nod to Microsoft's 3rd party showcase + Gears for the best pacing on average with a good array of games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
That’s fair. I was all about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and even I thought too much time was devoted to it. The game took up over half the Direct. Nintendo/Sakurai spent a lot of time on things I thought could have been addressed on the website or during Treehouse Live (because that’s like the entire point of Treehouse Live) such as Ryu doesn’t turn around during one-on-one matches. The main points were all characters return, newcomer Ridley, old stages are updated, and it launches on December 7. That should have been like five minutes.

The games during the sizzle reel could have used more time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
I still think Sony showed the best 1st party games. Super weird show though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 11:36:05 PM »
Judging by the presentation and not the games, almost everyone had an off show in some way, except maybe Microsoft. EA was dry and soulless, Bethesda was self indulgent, Square was short and awkward, Ubisoft was self indulgent as well, Sony was weird and clunky, and Nintendo spent a little too long on Smash.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
Smash was the game of the show for me, with TLoU2 and Spider-Man being next.  But only one of those games had a release date to it.  It was like Sony is allergic to calendars or something.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 04:38:37 PM »
I would have ranked EA second if it announced a new NBA Jam releasing by the end of the year. Even if the game used the same engine with a roster update, I wouldn’t have cared as long EA celebrated NBA Jam’s 25th anniversary. Otherwise, I didn’t give a **** about anything EA showed or announced.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »
I would have ranked EA second if it announced a new NBA Jam releasing by the end of the year. Even if the game used the same engine with a roster update, I wouldn’t have cared as long EA celebrated NBA Jam’s 25th anniversary. Otherwise, I didn’t give a **** about anything EA showed or announced.

Unravel 2 is very good, though, and SoS looks promising.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 12:09:35 AM »
I'm not paying attention next year. I can't handle the dissapointment again.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
Didn't watch all of the pressers due to work, but overall it was a decent E3 for me! Not amazing, but not awful. Crucially though, nothing sold me on a Switch yet. Admittedly I have a lot of its games (BOTW, MK8, DKC:TF, Captain Toad) on Wii U already so it would only be new releases that interest me.

Earliest jump-on date for me would be Smash Ultimate which looks promising, but will need to see more. Mario Tennis and Odyssey are also tempting, but I'm not quite there yet when it comes to 'critical mass' before buying a new console. With Daemon X Machina in 2019 that moment will come closer.

Secondly, this is the first time I also watched the Xbox and Playstation conferences, since I anticipate wanting one of those consoles once Beyond Good & Evil 2 comes out (which might be 2020 earliest). Of those the Xbox presser impressed me more. Sony's games look very polished and interesting (Control, Ghost of Tsushima) but also very moody and violent. Xbox also had some colourful stuff with Tunic, Forza Horizon, Sable, Session, Ori Will 'o Wisp.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 12:43:04 AM »
I still need to watch e3 stuff. I made the e3 2018 thread, but then I was out in vacation and only caught the highlights.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
There was a gas shortage and a flock of seagulls, that's it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA