Author Topic: I just ordered a DS Phat. Somebody please send help.  (Read 9827 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
I just ordered a DS Phat. Somebody please send help.
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:07:58 AM »
It's just such an interesting piece of kit, I mean it's a bit prototype-y but it's also the last Nintendo system released before the Gameboy Micro started Nintendo's current wave of more sleek and streamlined designs so it still has stuff like engraved buttons.

That and it can share a charger with my GBA SP and do Dual Slot stuff. That's always nice.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:13:26 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: I just ordered a DS Phat. Somebody please send help.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
There's something uniquely satisfying about how unwieldy the original DS is, I never upgraded from the original model because I enjoyed it's heft so much. Plus, if you can't really find a use for it, the thing makes for a surprisingly effective alarm clock.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
I prefer the original DS over the Lite... except for the screens.

I wonder if anyone has ever managed to transplant DS Lite screens into an Original DS
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:12:41 AM »
I got my DS Phat stolen at a burger King. I was having hinge problems, but that's also how I lost my copy of FF6 advance.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »
In theory a new 3DS and a GBA SP are capable of playing almost every game ever released on a Nintendo handheld.

(I used my original 3DS for this image because it's screen size is closer to the GBA which makes for a better comparison.)

In practice however the 3DS's backwards compatibility can leave a bit to be desired. Even if you are using a new 3DS XL (which has a pixel perfect mode that actually gives you a larger "screen" than the one on the DS lite) you still have to deal with annoying quirks like the slightly different D-pad placement, having to remember to hold start and select when starting a game, and the fact that it's kind of awkward to use a cropped touch screen makes the new 3DS XL serviceable at best if you care about pixel perfection in older games like I do.

The DS lite would in theory be a perfect complement to my dynamic duo here, however the Lite's buttons aren't very good, that D-pad is a hot mess, the one I have right now has a ghosting issue that has  become incredibly distracting now that I've noticed it and the system itself isn't very durable.

The Phat will likely take over as my go to system for if I need to take advantage of a dual slot functionality type deal (and it can use the GBA SP's charger). As I said before, playing DS games on the 3DS XL with pixel perfect mode is serviceable but I am interested in getting a DSi XL.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:55:17 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:50:23 AM »
Although I've played a couple DS games on my 3DS, I usually end up playing most of them on a DS system. The battery life is longer and the system is less heavy than the 3DS along with the fact that there are minimal benefits to playing a game on the 3DS are all reasons why backwards compatibility hasn't been as big a feature as I thought it might be.

Generally, I'm sticking with the DS Lite when playing DS games unless the game has a larger or heavier touchscreen focus like Feel the Magic, Pac-Pix or Kirby Canvas Curse. In cases of games like those, then I'll play them on my DS Phat to protect the touchscreen for my DS Lite a bit more. But, like UncleBob mentions, due to the better screens of the DS Lite, I'm always a little saddened to do this since I know the colors and look will be a bit more muted on the Phat. I remember after playing through Canvas Curse, I popped it in to the DS Lite just compare how it looked and it was so much brighter and colorful. Even the sound on the speakers was a bit better.

I do like my Phat but after that comparison it's hard to go back to it. I should double check but I think I found the contours of the DS Lite better for playing Mario Kart DS as well for all the L and R button pressing one needs to do in that game. I suppose I should look into screen protectors for the DS Lite touchscreen and then I'd really be able to retire the system.

The only other benefit I consider it having over the Lite is that GBA games and the Rumble Pak fit snuggly into the system while they stick out a bit on the Lite. Not that the Rumble Pak does much. A Muffled Alarm Indicating Rumble Is Occuring Pak is a better description for it but I've still tried to use it for games that allow the option. As for GBA games, having a bit of a bigger screen to play them is nice and it was on the Phat that I played Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission for the first time giving me better memories of the system but nowadays if I am playing a GBA game then the GBA Micro is my first choice. Haven't really done a screen comparison between the Micro, SP, Phat or Lite to see how games look like on all of them but my guess is that the Lite would probably be the best option or second best option on the off-chance the Micro is the best just like DS games. Maybe someone here can share their thoughts on that bit of info.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »
The Wal-Mart where I got my NES Classic still has a few original DSi in stock. $99. Want me to hook up up?

And transplanting the screens is probably possible, but you would have to desolder and replace the ribbon cables that attach them to the board. Also the original DS is an absolute bitch to put back together.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:53:00 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
I think it's sad that the DS Phat pretty much blatantly uses the same hinge as the GBA SP and it still feels sturdier than the one on the DS lite.

Edit: It actually isn't the exact same hinge as the one on the SP, although it seems to be derivative of the SP's hinge design.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:01:02 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:54 AM »
Although I've played a couple DS games on my 3DS, I usually end up playing most of them on a DS system. The battery life is longer and the system is less heavy than the 3DS along with the fact that there are minimal benefits to playing a game on the 3DS are all reasons why backwards compatibility hasn't been as big a feature as I thought it might be.

Generally, I'm sticking with the DS Lite when playing DS games unless the game has a larger or heavier touchscreen focus like Feel the Magic, Pac-Pix or Kirby Canvas Curse. In cases of games like those, then I'll play them on my DS Phat to protect the touchscreen for my DS Lite a bit more. But, like UncleBob mentions, due to the better screens of the DS Lite, I'm always a little saddened to do this since I know the colors and look will be a bit more muted on the Phat. I remember after playing through Canvas Curse, I popped it in to the DS Lite just compare how it looked and it was so much brighter and colorful. Even the sound on the speakers was a bit better.

I do like my Phat but after that comparison it's hard to go back to it. I should double check but I think I found the contours of the DS Lite better for playing Mario Kart DS as well for all the L and R button pressing one needs to do in that game. I suppose I should look into screen protectors for the DS Lite touchscreen and then I'd really be able to retire the system.

The only other benefit I consider it having over the Lite is that GBA games and the Rumble Pak fit snuggly into the system while they stick out a bit on the Lite. Not that the Rumble Pak does much. A Muffled Alarm Indicating Rumble Is Occuring Pak is a better description for it but I've still tried to use it for games that allow the option. As for GBA games, having a bit of a bigger screen to play them is nice and it was on the Phat that I played Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission for the first time giving me better memories of the system but nowadays if I am playing a GBA game then the GBA Micro is my first choice. Haven't really done a screen comparison between the Micro, SP, Phat or Lite to see how games look like on all of them but my guess is that the Lite would probably be the best option or second best option on the off-chance the Micro is the best just like DS games. Maybe someone here can share their thoughts on that bit of info.
I actually really like the DS Phat for platformers because of it's big beautiful D-pad. Oh I love that d-pad.

Offline Manly_Eyepatch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
Help is on the way, son
Damn those sonsabitches all to Hell!!!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
Do you know what Pokepal148 said when the Germans told him to surrender over his DS Phat?

Nuts!

Offline Manly_Eyepatch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »
Most o them Gerry's are allergic to nuts, I hear. It's all bratwurst and heavy beer for them. Give me a good ol' fashioned American Peanut any goddam day of the goddam week!
Damn those sonsabitches all to Hell!!!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »
I hear ya, sarge! I say we take all their peanuts and give 'em all our hot lead in return!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 04:28:51 AM »
I think it's sad that the DS Phat pretty much blatantly uses the same hinge as the GBA SP

Wow, I have never noticed that before. But I have never owned an SP, so I havent compared the two.

The screens might not be the best, but I do like the original DS. Its just a cool, chunky design. But I think the DSi is by far the best DS overall.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »
The original DS was made for cuddling.  The DS Lite was made for modeling.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »
I think it's sad that the DS Phat pretty much blatantly uses the same hinge as the GBA SP

Wow, I have never noticed that before. But I have never owned an SP, so I havent compared the two.

The screens might not be the best, but I do like the original DS. Its just a cool, chunky design. But I think the DSi XL is by far the best DS overall.
FTFY.