Author Topic: Pokémon Sun and Moon  (Read 30199 times)

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon Sun and Moon
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »
My favorite battle themes are probably the ones belonging to Aether Foundation member battle and Red and Blue's battle themes in the battle tree.

I've been loving the Ten Carat Hill theme since the demo had it, and I was caught off guard by how effective at setting the mood the themes for Thrifty Supermarket and Po Town are.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »
I've been playing more of this trying to complete my Pokedex.  Clex, do you still have the same complaint about egg hatching?  Because you can have up to 18 eggs going at a time in the Poke Pelago "incubating".  It turns the hatching thing from having to walk to just waiting and not even having to have the game on.  You also can reduce the time a bit with the beans that you get.  Seems like it'd be the easiest thing (in that you have to do nothing) even if it might not be faster.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »
I've been playing more of this trying to complete my Pokedex.  Clex, do you still have the same complaint about egg hatching?  Because you can have up to 18 eggs going at a time in the Poke Pelago "incubating".  It turns the hatching thing from having to walk to just waiting and not even having to have the game on.  You also can reduce the time a bit with the beans that you get.  Seems like it'd be the easiest thing (in that you have to do nothing) even if it might not be faster.

Passive hatching is fine and dandy if you're looking to just casually hatch a half-a-box worth of stuff. a lot of the time though, when I have my mind on breeding, I want to go through as many poekmon as rapidly as possible. That being said, there is something I have to report on on the breeding front!

http://puu.sh/sWIWz.jpg

This is a little complicated, but the general gyst of it is that provided the gender ratio is identical between pokemon and you decide if you are/are not going to use the destiny knot/Power items for the purpose of IV transfer that the game effectively determines your pokemon's personality value (a 64 bit value that determines... basically everything about your pokemon besides it's species and gender) FAR in advance. it's already calculated in the code! so, say... you hatched a Jolly Abra with it's secondary ability, Inner Focus from an egg, and it inherited it's mother's HP and defence while it inherited your ditto's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. you then reset the game and instead put a Mudsdale in the nursery. Your new mudbray would be Jolly and have Stamina, with the same IVs inherited from ditto, the IVs corresponding to Mudsdale, and the original IV it generated in Special Defense would be the same.

Why is this useful?

Well, let's just say it takes a whole hell of a lot less steps to hatch a box full of magikarp then to say... hatch even a single batch of Dratini eggs.

I've also gotten used to the tauros rodeo in the fun pen anyhow.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »
So, you can basically run a test to see how the egg you really want is going to come out before hatching a more time consuming egg?  That's pretty cool, but might be too complex for my blood.

Passive hatching is fine and dandy if you're looking to just casually hatch a half-a-box worth of stuff. a lot of the time though, when I have my mind on breeding, I want to go through as many poekmon as rapidly as possible.

That's fair.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
By the way, Nick, what are you still missing? I may be able to assist you in some way or another.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »
Most of what I'm missing I can catch in-game or on the GTS pretty reliably.  The main ones I'd need help with are Pokemon that evolve from trading + item held and the Moon-exclusive UBs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »
Hey, quick update here! if you enter the code INTIMIDATE on the Mystery Gift > Recieve a gift > Recieve by code, you can get the Mawilite, Beedrillite, Audinite, and Medichamite that was locked to battle competition competitors before! it looks like this code will not expire, and hopefully the rest of the mega stones get a similar distribution that isn't timed

I'm certainly willing to wait a little longer for the remaining mega stones if i don't have to remember to sign up for battle competitions.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
I'll put this here (partly for my own memory) but there's also a code for the Mewtwonites (X/Y): M2DESCENT
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »
Thank you, Donald. Also, stay tuned to this thread, since now the teases for Marshadow distribution is starting to happen.

For those who haven't looked into the details of this pokemon, I shall provide spoiler brackets for my thoughts on the matter.

While Magearna has a solid typing and a neat couple of gimmick sets with use of it's exclusive Fleur Cannon, it generally suffers from the general lack of speed Alolan pokemon in general seem to have, as well as an all over the place sort of movepool.

Marshadow on the other hand is an outright busted pokemon. maybe not to the degree of something like Mega Rayquaza, Primal Kyogre, or Primal Groudon, but we are looking at something that's Arceus/Pre-nerf Darkrai/Mega Mewtwo Y/Black Kyurem/Skymin levels of powerful.

Sporting the fabled Ghost/Fighting STAB combination, there isn't a type combination that currently exists in pokemon that doesn't take a neutral hit from Marshadow. Normal/Ghost would be the real only true type combination that would force Marshadow to have more coverage than things it would learn during level up. This also happens to allot Marshadow a semi-decent defensive suite as well, but Marshadow is not by design a tanky pokemon.

Marshadow's exclusive move, Spectral Thief, not only gets distinction of being the strongest physical ghost move (Giratina's Phantom Force is base 120, but takes a turn of charge-up) at base 90, but it has the disgusting and exclusive effect of stripping the foe of stat boosts FIRST, and THEN delivering the attack. this is a devastating attack. Only normal types effectively get to set up when Marshadow is present on the opponent's team. Physical sweeping stuff like Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, etc. are the obvious thing that make Marshadow devastating and run away with a game, but this also strips away something that sets up with stockpile, Cosmic Power, or other such increases. it hoses Moody pokemon even worse if they don't hit their evade bonuses right away. it hoses over Xerneas, or folks using setups like Z-Splash or Z-happy hour or just... all sorts of things. Spectral Thief is powerful, man.

Spectral Thief's power level goes up even FURTHER (and reinforces Smogon's Swagger ban with the whole Klefki nonsense) when you consider that yes, Marshadow has access to SWAGGER! how's about forcing a switch out of your foe, confusing whatever comes in, and then taking the attack boost with Phantom Thief? This is better than it getting Swords dance. and even if you DID feel the need to maybe set up yourself, it does have bulk-up access, but... really, c'mon, Spectral Thief is just... amazing.

Also, it has a Z-move variant.

Other than that, Marshadow is sporting a respectable Base 125 attack (Think heavy hitters like Gyrados, Heracross, Bisharp, Golisopod, Bewear, etc.) and 125 speed (there's about 24 pokemon if we're counting Megas and alt formes that outspeed Marshadow. it's faster than speedsters like Greninja, Noivern, Ribbombe, Mega Rayquaza, and really just... a lot of Pokemon one would think of as being quick!) and the technician ability, which it gets Pursuit, Shadow Sneak, and a couple of other neat things in it's TM Pool like Smack-down to take advantage of it, in case you thought maybe Skarmory was sounding like a half-decent counter to this thing.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »
I don't know why they didn't make Marshadow available with the initial launch of the game, but either way, it's an absurd Pokémon that will be viable if only so that the ridiculous momentum shift in the current metagame can go die in a fire.

I honestly believe Ultra Beasts are the worst thing to happen to competitive battling.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »
I do suppose Marshadow can answer Pheramosa pretty nicely.

I know that VGC is mostly overrun by  terrain wars with Tapu Lele leading the charge on that, but I haven't been keeping up with Smogon since all the channels on youtube I happen to follow have pretty much switched over to almost exclusively doing VGC content, which is frustrating.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2017, 12:25:04 AM »
See, I like the idea of terrains, and I think it's a logical sort of step, but I don't think they should have been relegated to the Tapus for the sake of them having a unique gimmick, because now every damn team runs them. Gen VII will hopefully be remembered as a generation that introduced a bunch of interesting gimmicks (Beast Boosts, Terrain, and Z-Moves I guess, even though I'm still not fond of them) that eventually trickled down to non-legendaries, because the over-centralized meta revolving around the Gen VII legendaries has been the main reason I feel no desire to develop a competitive team.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
the over-centralized meta revolving around the Gen VII legendaries has been the main reason I feel no desire to develop a competitive team.

see, that's funny, because that's exactly how I felt about Mega Evolution... except in the case of Mega Evolution, they decided to split the generation in half, and to immediatley give up on the very rules they had established for the mechanic a year later.

The Ultra beasts are just what happens if you take a pokemon's base stats and stretch them to logical extremes. the only one that is REALLY overly opressive is Pheromosa and MAYBE Celesteela? I mean...

Xurkitree and Kartana have big, scary offensive presences, but you can sneeze on Kartana and it dies, and Xurkitree is so ho-hum otherwise that it's revenge kill bait.

Nihilego is actually pretty fast and I love it's typing, but rock and poison get walled out by steel types and it just shatters into a billion tiny pieces the moment something tosses EQ it's way.

Buzzwole is all right but slow, and Guzzlord is such a lopsided pokemon that it's just outright unwieldly.

Tapus on the other hand, may not have the raw numbers, but the boosts their auto-terrain gives to their STAB makes them hit like a truck. Yeah, psychic might not be the best offensive type out there, but Tapu Lele's got enough offensive presence to where you can throw specs on it and even pokemon that resist it aren't feeling great about taking the Psychic or the Psyshock. I suppose the big difference between this and say... Kartana, is that Kartana's STAB choices aren't quite as good.

I mean, Mega Mawile and Mega Beedrill are in this meta, and they're basically the same thing.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
I was hoping that Mega Evolution would be expanded upon, seeing as there are a ton of Pokemon that could really use them. I suppose Z-Moves are a step in that direction, and their use among all different types allows for some flexible distribution. But even those two extremely oppressive Ultra Beasts (and I'd lump Buzzswole in there as well, with great typing) have over-centralized the meta game and forced players to consider counters. The problem, essentially, is that Z-Moves aren't interesting enough to avoid the real threat of the generation, which are Tapus and Ultra Beasts. Atop Tapus being the worst-designed Pokemon in a long time, they also possess low-risk, high reward abilities that make them essential.

Of course, this is a discussion of a relatively green metagame, which I'm sure will even out, or at least, have some interesting new strategies develop in the future. That Drifblim build that has become quite popular lately is a great example. But the intense focus on a bunch of new Pokemon that have unappealing aesthetics, unhealthy stat distributions, and exclusive abilities has turned me off of competitive battling completely. Unlike the series, I am not one to evolve with the times. Or maybe that's very much like the series.

Offline rvbykyle

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2017, 02:43:55 AM »
I'm happy about Pokemon Sun and Moon because it gave me a new list of favorite Pokemon but in terms of gameplay it felt lackluster. Now that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are now available, it felt like the new ones are the complete version instead of the alternate story they are saying.