1 (10%)
Overwatch
3 (30%)
Battlewatch
3 (30%)
Overborn
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Battleboverwatch FPS Thread of Doom  (Read 20626 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Battleboverwatch FPS Thread of Doom
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
Which is the best for a shooter novice? Mind you, I'm not a newbie. I just know enough to be slightly competent at shooters.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:17:22 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Battleborn or Overwatch?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »
Isn't Overwatch more of a MOBA?

Offline chesron4

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Gratis Roulette
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:47:14 AM »
Overwatch all the way.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
Isn't Overwatch more of a MOBA?
It's a team based shooter with respawns.  It's nothing like typical MOBA's like DOTA 2 and LoL.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
Maybe Battleborn was the more Moba-ish one. They all blend together.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
Both of these games are closer to TF2 than MOBA

Haven't played Battleborn, but have played a bit in Overwatch beta.  Agree that it feels like TF2 taken more seriously and more playable characters, haven't played any MOBAs, so can't make a comparison there.

Offline elvshaunt2

• View Profile
    • Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
Few things you need to remember about MOBAs are:

1 - its top down isometric or anything similar to that
2 - the communities are toxic

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:14:28 AM »
What really pisses me off is people saying overwatch will replace TF2.
NO, just NO!
TF2 is free, and overwatch is what $50 buck of uninspired unmemorable chracters? no thanks. Battleborn looks promising. Borderlands characters all the way...
Made you look ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:49:18 AM »
First Person MOBA! hot new genre!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 04:44:09 AM »
I played two rounds of the Overwatch demo. It seemed nice, but Im not interested in buying it.

I found out that Battleborn has a singleplayer 'story' mode of some sort. I will have to look into that some more, because if its good I might buy it.

Im the sort of person who only plays Halo for the campaign, which I really enjoy.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 03:09:25 AM »
Update. I went with Overwatch because duh. I really really like it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
Update. I went with Overwatch because duh. I really really like it.

I'm interested in Overwatch, but I went with Battleborn.  Definitely not a bad game, my friends liken it to Moba meets Borderlands.  I appreciate the variety & number of characters that are playable, and despite the small user base, haven't had to wait more than a minute or two to get matched up.  So far so good.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
I'll admit that I was very curious about Battleborn, specially now that it's being sold at a heavy discount. Ultimately though, Overwatch's character design really appealed to me and I was very concerned about how big the player base was going to be 5-6 months down the line. This summer looks to be slim with games so Overwatch will play the same role as Splatoon did last year.

And yes, I realize Splatoon has always had a small user base but it wasn't really competing with any other game in its genre.

I am interested in knowing more about how Battleborn plays though, so do tell when you get the chance.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:40:10 PM by Soren »

Offline King Dedede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 10:57:18 PM »
Try both and see what you like more. Both are good...and both are TF2 ripoffs.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 01:14:22 AM »
So I bought Battleborn because it has local multiplayer and Multiplayer PVE campaigns.  I really don't enjoy online PvP multiplayer, because if you are not good at the game it is just frustrating.  Everything I have heard though is that Battleborn is pretty dead right now with its online community.  Is anyone still playing this game?  I can see some of the faults in the game, but overall I really like the game's design. 

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »

I approve of the mod who made that poll. Or wait, did I do it? Uhhhh

I've had a blast with Overwatch so far. I am terrible at shooters so the fact that I can play support and still feel like an active contributor and someone who can swing the battle one way or another is great. I love defending with Torbjorn's turrets and handing out armor to everyone. I love Lucio because I can heal people while I do my usual spray and pray technique. Or I can just play as Mercy and just be a pure healer. And even if I do go with an offensive character I can pick one with a low difficulty curve and still feel like I'm doing well.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »
So I bought Battleborn because it has local multiplayer and Multiplayer PVE campaigns.  I really don't enjoy online PvP multiplayer, because if you are not good at the game it is just frustrating.  Everything I have heard though is that Battleborn is pretty dead right now with its online community.  Is anyone still playing this game?  I can see some of the faults in the game, but overall I really like the game's design.

I picked the game up on the recent PSN flash sale, and overall I like it but it has a LOT of just fundamental issues. The way the game handles matchmaking is just terrible (the game first searches for 5 people to form a team, and then it searches for other filled 5 person teams, and if anyone drops out during this process it starts all over). Matches tend to be completely one-sided, with whatever team that levels-up first completely steamrolling the other. Single player is cool, but is really best played Co-Op (whereas I feel like Borderlands plays just fine SP). The game REALLY needs a level-less Team Death match mode, though, because all the Versus modes except Capture suck).

Overall, it's idiotic that this game is even being compared to Overwatch. Both games have COMPLETELY different design philosophies and gameplay styles. However, while there are aspects to Battleborn I like more than Overwatch (like the SP content), I feel like the sum of Battleborn's parts is not as strong as Overwatch's laser-focused whole.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:22:18 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 12:49:22 AM »
I gave up on Battleborn.  The game has many flaws.  I liked the online campaign mode, but the multiplayer was flawed, and the characters are not interesting. 

I wish Overwatch would have had splitscreen Co-Op missions, because I would have bought it then, and been very happy.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 02:16:19 AM »
Lucioball...sucks. Man, it's just not good. It's slow and janky and the physics are just terrible. I appreciate the change of pace but I'd rather have a new mode where I can shoot people instead of a crappy Rocket League clone.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
Re: Battleboverwatch FPS Thread of Doom
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
So, I abandoned Battleborn about a month in.  There were things I liked about the game, such as the sheer number and variety of characters to play as.  But the pvp matches veered to an absurd length of 30+ minutes unless one team steamrolled another, and the wait to find a match was garbage.  Worse than that though, you never felt like you were powerful or your weapons had any weight to them when firing.

I hopped on Overwatch (PC) about 2 weeks ago with a group of friends, and are having a much better time with that.  For anyone who is interested, the Origins Edition of Overwatch you see in retail just includes some skins and stuff on top of the base game, you can buy a base version from Blizzard for $40 regular, which made it low enough to justify a purchase to me. 

Very much like TF2, except this game is sticking with me a lot better than TF2 did.  Anyone here still playing?  I'm about to hit level 21, interested in finding groups to play with, or at least finding others I could include in my group for competitive once we get to 25.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 12:07:18 AM »
Battleborn is a terrible game.  I wanted to like it.  I tried hard to like it.  i went back to it with each new character released...but the game just didn't like with me.  The controls were difficult, the characters although there was variety didn't feel that different.  The only thing it has going for it is there is a single player campaign/story campaign that you can play with a team.  Overwatch could learn something from that.

Unfortunately, the Battleborn single player missions were designed well.  it was literally run to a new location and kill a horde of enemies run to another place are repeat.  No puzzles, no strategy in shooting, nothing. 

What is worse is the Player vs. Player games have the worst community.  Teams that could win the game, will purposely hold the game longer to kill and hunt the weaker team for experience...and all the game modes encourage this type of playing. 

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
Battleborn just had a "revival event" that went ok but only lasted as long as the event happened. The game went back to being dead as it was before. Part of why it failed was because it didn't really do anything to lure in new players. No discounts on the game, not even a free weekend? Meanwhile Overwatch will let you play the game for free this weekend for the second time.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 06:46:48 PM »
Soren that isn't true.  At least on the PS4 they have had multiple sales for the game.  I picked up the game when it was like 30% off, and then a few months later it was 40% off. 

The game is a bunch of good ideas that fall very, very flat.  The game just isn't fun.  And each time the have a revival event and new game modes created, people play and are reminded that they don't like the game.  I tried to log on to play online and nobody is playing it. 

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »
True, the game has had multiple price-drops and sales. And even then it failed to grab an audience. If you're doing your last ditch event to bring in more players, you might as well go all out an either offer an even bigger sale or just let people enjoy it for free for the weekend.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »
I'm definitely all-in on Overwatch.  The game is just a fun team fortress-esque game with a lot of variety in the different characters. 

Even better, their recent update added several different variant game modes that add much needed variety to the game.  Hopefully they keep adding incremental updates over time like this.