Author Topic: Bravely Second: End Layer - Because I have no idea what any of that means  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central

I still need to play Bravely Default, despite knowing of an infamous portion of the game that is a bit repetitive and obnoxious. However, I'm sure I'd still enjoy the game, so I'm also interested in the sequel, releasing this Friday in North America. I think it's already out on the other side of the pond.

Is anyone picking this up any time soon?Is anyone picking this up any time soon?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
One of my most anticipated games this year, so needless to say I'm really looking forward to getting it on Friday. As flawed as the first game is in certain respects, I still love it.

Offline NotMario

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
I have a lot of problems with Bravely Default to do with its boring dungeons, the infamous middle section, and two of the four party members (Agnès and Tiz specifically) being very boring cardboard characters. With all that said, this series probably has my favourite variation on turn based JRPG combat next to the Grandia style so I forgive it of all those problems. It helps that BD had a phenomenal soundtrack. Basically, I'm all in for Bravely Second just by virtue of the battle and job system being so great. Anything else that comes as an improvement will be a pleasant surprise.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I gotta go back and finish the first game.  I haven't gotten to the part everyone says they don't like and it has kind of turned me off to know that something like that is still to come.  But at the same time I feel like I need to finish the first game to fully understand the storyline in the sequel so Bravely Second's purchase will remain in limbo until then.  I did really enjoy my time with the first game but I just ended up playing other stuff and haven't gotten back to it (this is a common problem I have with RPGs).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I'm pretty conflicted on Bravely Default because a bag can't be any more mixed than that one. The best and worst parts of the game have an extremely wide gap between them, and it's tough to decide if the worst parts, which can be excruciating, are worth it for the good parts. From what I have read, Bravely Second still commits pretty much all the same sins as the first game. As much as I enjoyed the battle system and trying out various combinations of jobs, I just don't know if I want to go through it all again.

I also have a guess what the title will mean this time, but I won't say it. If it's right, it's a spoiler.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Bravely Default is a series that streamlines its gameplay mechanics in an attempt to make the experience "easier" on players- to relieve the tedium of it all. However, I would argue that an RPG truly succeeds when its mechanics are engaging- enough that they don't grow tedious, or when the player constantly feels engaged. I often cite SMT titles where the player cannot mash "a" to win, or Paper Mario, in which the more a player performs inputs, the more they are rewarded, as examples of this. this is largely why, despite my ownership of the original collector's edition, I am extremely hesitant about Bravely Second.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:53:06 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
egh!

(Lucario Contributing to the NWR forums since 2012 (I think (maybe might be 2011(not sure)))
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
egh!

(Lucario Contributing to the NWR forums since 2012 (I think (maybe might be 2011(not sure)))

If you look at your profile, it tells you the date you've joined. For you, it is "June 20, 2013, 08:38:08 PM". What's all this 2012 and 2011 talk? Trying to make yourself out to be a long time forum member and hornswoggle innocent forum users? It hasn't even been 3 full years yet. You're still in the intermediate forum user stage.

Khushrenada Contributing to the NWR forums since 1974 (I think (maybe might be 1908(not sure)))
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
It only feels like you've been doing the same thing here for 40 years.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Who loves ya, baby? I feel like Hammerin' Hank Aaron. I've just been connecting on this forum with hit after hit. And now it's time to knock my post record out of the park with this doozy. An oldie but a goodie. What vehicle does Nixon love to give people? A used Ford. Dy-no-mite!

Can you believe I've been able to get away with posting this same stuff over and over for years? I am one wild and crazy guy! And the audience still eats it up like it's new! I'll sock it to ya!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
I was here 2012 late 2011 just never signed up.
Made you look ****.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
I'm nearing what I assume is the end of the prologue (which, like Bravely Default's first chapter, is really long) and so far it builds on everything that was good about the first game. The visuals are amazing again, (the cities and building interiors are the best looking in-game visuals on the 3DS imo), the music is great, and they've given you even more options to make the combat as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

Also pleasantly surprised by the story so far. I really liked the first game's story so I expected to enjoy it with Bravely Second as well, but they've introduced more new characters than I thought they would.