Author Topic: When do you decide to upgrade?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
When do you decide to upgrade?
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »

Short story (asking what others do): 

How do you decide it's time for new hardware?  New 3DS isn't a major upgrade, but has some nice features. I think I'm just about ready to buy in...

Long story (that explains why I'm ready):

So I've been tempted to grab a New 3DS for a while. What really sells me on it isn't the huge list of exclusive games (one that I'd rather play on Wii U, one that is wildly buggy) but the little touches: so-called "super stable 3D", built-in support for Circle Pad Pro games, able to transfer files to PC without removing SD card...

I'm not super keen on going XL, but not dead set against it and that's the only model available here anyway.

There has been one thing holding me back though: price! Why pay a premium for a new handheld system that offers incremental upgrades but very little meaningful incentive to buy in? Well I think the recent Monster Hunter sale finally sealed the deal.

See, it's not that you can't play Monster Hunter with a basic 3DS - it plays just fine!  But there is something wrong with my system. When pressure gets applied just a certain way in the bottom right corner (no, not on the power button but just when holding the system) the power cuts out. Three times it's happened while playing Monster Hunter... and three times it's been on a hunt about 45+ minutes in, just finishing off the third big monster of a set, when things go black.  Rage!  I think it has something to do with the tension, and my grip slowly getting tighter and or twistier as the final few blows are getting ready to land.

It's a shame really. Nintendo promised to fix  my current 3DS XL last Christmas, but when it arrived at the repair center they just shipped it back "as is" with a note that it wasn't under warranty and couldn't be repaired (despite being under warranty, and them promising to repair or replace it after extensive discussions and descriptions of what was wrong with the console) and then charged me full cost for a replacement anyway. Nintendo offered to try a second time to "fix it" for me... but between losing my handheld for a month or so for no good reason and then having them hold my money for another month or so afterwards, I wasn't keen on trusting them to get things right.  Still, I only paid $100 for this console new and always intended to replace it eventually.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: When do you decide to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
When the shoulder buttons stop working.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:54:37 PM »
I had a launch day Taco.

Nuf said.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
When the next system comes out, and I can get the previous version at a much reduced price.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 01:02:07 AM »
I am not keen on buying a New 3DS because that means there will be about two years before a new piece of hardware hits shelves, and I've also already purchased a Taco and a Taco Supreme (although the Taco Supreme has sticky shoulders and the 3D slider is broken). I'm not sure if I want to pay full price for a New 3DSXL, unless I hady Taco Supreme repaired and got a discount. That would still be 100 dollars at the least and I survived the DS era with only the Silver Brick. I think I can outlast the 3DS era with my mangled Taco Supreme.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
I can report that the super-stable 3D is indeed super-stable and I think it is awesome. It is the chief selling point for me. I know that sounds dumb but it's one of those things that, when you try it, you realize how excellent it is. It has made me re-visit games and fall in love with gaming on my 3DS all over again.
Another selling point for me was the ability to insert a huger SD card. I buy a lot of games digitally. I know you don't, ejamer.
The C-stick works but I barely use it. The new set of shoulder buttons I don't use at all. Screen is great and I think slightly better than older 3DS models.
The OS does run much faster but it seems to me like you only get the speed advantage for games that are optimized to use it. For example, Smash Bros. boots way, way faster and returns to the home menu faster too. Other games don't boot nearly as fast but the return to the home menu seems good for most games.
The only downside is the placement of the game card slot. It is on the front of the system on the left side. Twice I have inadvertently ejected the game card with the palm of my left hand during heated play. Others may not have this issue and now that I am aware of my tendencies, I have adjusted.

On balance, I'd say go for it. It's only money. They print more of it every day.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:54:36 PM »
But there is something wrong with my system. When pressure gets applied just a certain way in the bottom right corner (no, not on the power button but just when holding the system) the power cuts out. Three times it's happened while playing Monster Hunter...
Actually, this problem might just be nothing other than dirt, dust, and/or grime on the battery contacts. What you could try, if you have not already, is to remove the battery cover, and then clean out any dust or dirt you see under there, as well as removing the battery and cleaning its contacts and the ones on the system. I had this same issue a few months back, and after opening it and cleaning it, it has worked fine since.

Note that removing the battery will reset the clock, so remember to go into the settings to correct that.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever upgraded. the New 3DSXL was my first 3DS. Before that I had the DS Phat,  after the Gameboy Advance SP.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:49:49 PM »
I presume we aren't talking generational upgrades (e.g. GBA to DS). I typically upgrade based on necessity. Gameboy Advance SP was probably the only time I upgraded solely based on hardware changes. It had a light which made playing games infinitely easier. I gave my brother my original DS Lite and upgraded to DSi so we could play Contra 4 together. I upgraded to 3DS XL partially because I wanted the larger model but also because there were multiplayer games we could play though he's pretty busy with college these days. I'm planning a New 3DS XL upgrade because the R button on my brother's 3DS crapped out. I'm a little disappointed that New 3DS XL isn't compatible with the Circle Pad Pro XL I have. Then again, I still struggled with Kid Icarus Uprising so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Two things: I'm waiting for Metallic Blue and I'm waiting for a sale. Ultimately, I don't upgrade strictly because something is new. Now that I know Nintendo is committed to offering XL models, I'd have to find a hell of a deal to buy the original.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:04:28 PM by Adrock »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 11:24:47 PM »
But there is something wrong with my system. When pressure gets applied just a certain way in the bottom right corner (no, not on the power button but just when holding the system) the power cuts out. Three times it's happened while playing Monster Hunter...
Actually, this problem might just be nothing other than dirt, dust, and/or grime on the battery contacts. What you could try, if you have not already, is to remove the battery cover, and then clean out any dust or dirt you see under there, as well as removing the battery and cleaning its contacts and the ones on the system. I had this same issue a few months back, and after opening it and cleaning it, it has worked fine since.

Note that removing the battery will reset the clock, so remember to go into the settings to correct that.

Ooh - good suggestion!  If not for the random resets, I could put off an upgrade for a long time (although the super stable 3D remains a compelling selling point for me).
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 12:13:01 AM »
I'm done buying 3DS systems really. When the next handheld gets a Fire Emblem or Rhythm Heaven game, I guess I'll upgrade.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »
I upgraded from a regular 3DS to the XL once there was a XL edition that I liked and my 3DS wasn't working as perfectly any more. The shoulder buttons of my regular 3DS were starting to die, so I was planning to upgrade, but wasn’t in a big hurry. The bigger screen was also appealing. Once the shoulder buttons went kaput and there was an edition I liked, I finally upgraded! It was so nice having a new, fully functional console, and love that bigger screen.

It does look like North America will be getting the regular n3DS in September, so you could always wait another month and see how you feel then! Maybe the models will shift in price following the price drop of the 2DS (we can hope). And if not, and it is just dirty battery contacts, you can hold off until there is a sale but know you will have an option between regular and XL.

https://twitter.com/NintendoCanada/status/638473017006256128

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »
I upgraded mostly for the super stable 3D and think it was totally worth it.  At the time, I also wasn't keen on the XL, but have grown to really like it.  Being "worth it" is, of course, entirely subjective.  Some think buying a new smartphone every year or two is "worth it"...others do not.  I don't spend money often (I don't even buy many games), so I have no problem buying new hardware when it comes out.  I was going to sell the old 3DS to make up some of the cost, but decided to keep it so my wife and I can play local multiplayer.  It also might be nice to have an extra for my kid when he gets a little older.