Author Topic: Don't mind me, I'm just THE LEGEND OF LEGACY FOR NORTH AMERICA!  (Read 12552 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
http://nintendoeverything.com/atlus-confirms-the-legend-of-legacy-for-north-american-release-this-fall/#disqus_thread
Sorry about the link, but WHOOO!

This was one of the final games I was really looking forward to having localized for NA. The concept is really neat (choose your party, they have flexible roles, their stories are told, replay with different characters for different story paths), the art style is cute, the graphics are unique, the music is fantastic, and the pedigree is wonderful. I trust Atlus to play it close to the original script too and not get too hokey like they do with their own games.

Also interested to see the "balance" mentioned. I don't remember what was said about the game upon release but it scored well and I didn't hear too much negative stuff.

If this gets a collectors edition (which, knowing Atlus, is a lock) I will be a happy man.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Don't mind me, I'm just THE LEGEND OF LEGACY FOR NORTH AMERICA!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
The Legend of Legacy and Popolocrois x Story of Seasons on 3DS by the end of the year... gaming is good!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:46:41 PM »
And it doesn't have the Atlus tax! It's "only" $40, which is better than the usual $50! :)

Now, I just want a Dragon Quest game and that Dragon Ball Z 2D fighter to get localized!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »
I don't really know anything about it, but it could be interesting. I'll look into it when it releases. The title is kind of awful though.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »
Title is kind of awful.  The pop-up book art style sounded cool, but looked really bad in video clips. I don't know... I want to be excited about another cool RPG but am not feeling it yet. Hopefully we'll get more information soon?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
Hate on the name, the soundtrack is incredible, and the art style is bizarrely charming.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
Is this the game Masashi Hamauzu of Final Fantasy XIII and, I think, Saga Frontier (correct me if I'm wrong) composed music for?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:26:17 AM »
Yes, that's the one.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
Coming to EU courtesy of Nippon Ichi Software America. Since Atlus haven't discovered Europe yet of course.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »
I'm paranoid this game is going to turn out like another Bravely Default. Otherwise, it looks beautiful and I am interested
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
The team that made this has a good track record, though.

And the game's premise and mechanics are pretty neat.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »
I'm paranoid this game is going to turn out like another Bravely Default. Otherwise, it looks beautiful and I am interested
As long as it's the first half of Bravely Default, then I'm good.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 12:07:21 AM »
hey hey, hey now no hatin on default bro!
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 09:07:12 AM »
What's that? You want me to hate on Bravely Default?

It was an overrated attempt to recreate the mood of a traditional RPG with mechanics that allowed easy breakage of the combat system and virtually all difficulty with awful voice acting, a terrible story they used to justify the worst gameplay decisions, and no appreciation for world building.

If the entirety of Bravely Default had been more like the demo, it would have been a far better game.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
What's that? You want me to hate on Bravely Default?

It was an overrated attempt to recreate the mood of a traditional RPG with mechanics that allowed easy breakage of the combat system and virtually all difficulty with awful voice acting, a terrible story they used to justify the worst gameplay decisions, and no appreciation for world building.
I was going to rant about it, but you summed it up effectively. Add to it that it is the worst dungeon design I've seen in a while and it feels really lazy.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
Title makes me chuckle but I am otherwise intrigued. Do you think it's more Final Fantasy or Dragone Quest? I hope DQ.
Man, I just really want the 3DS DQ games to be localized.

If this gets a collectors edition (which, knowing Atlus, is a lock) I will be a happy man.
your wish is granted, it seems
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 01:17:05 AM »
I think it's more along the lines of a SaGa game, actually.

And yes, I'm a happy man.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
BD had a certain charm that I liked, but other then that the things you said are true.
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »
I mean, you'll find a lot of what made BD charming in LoL, but without the voice acting and the broken job system.

I've put about five hours into the LoL Demo, which does have save transfers, and I'm a bit surprised to see how abruptly the game begins (the demo starts off right at the top of the experience), and how quickly you obtain other adventurers. By the end of the demo you can have five of the original seven characters in your party, though it is important to mention the dialogue of who is present has a large impact on cutscenes. However, I thought my starting character was going to have more personality and he ended up being pretty one-note, while my two partners (Filmia and Garnet) were much more likeable and engaging. The game encourages replays, so while I feel comfortable with my current team, I will definitely go back and replay the story as those two.

The level up system is really lovely, with points being awarded not only to specific stats but also how moves function within certain stances- the formation system is really cool but can lead to some lengthy menu times trying to reorganize your group. You can have up to 6 custom formations and they really help you boost certain skills in certain areas. It's important to have a good amount of options while playing because trying to boost a specific stance or spell might not work when the enemy can stun or contract the elementals and negate your effort.

Magic system is neat but a bit strange.

Happy about the copious first run extras.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
Will wait for the EU release of this. Demo convinced me that it'll be better than first looks said, but Stella Glow is the only fully priced import game I can afford for the rest of the year.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 12:54:12 AM »
*Urk* Only found out this game existed just now! To pre-order or not to pre-order? Hmmm
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 03:48:27 AM »
Try out the demo! It's different and cool enough to give a shot, and it's got some visual similarities to Bravely Default. The music, dungeon design, and leveling system are all better though.

The first run comes with some nice stuff, I have to admit.

Offline AnGer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
I agree with you on the dungeon design (would be kind of embarassing if a game built around exploring didn't offer decent dungeon design), the leveling system is intriguing (though I am missing a proper stat screen), but the music is a tad bit bland and upon listening to it, it feels like Hamauzu rehashed some themes from Final Fantasy XIII (in particular the victory fanfare) which comes across as lazy and with some instrument choices as jarring. It's - to put in netspeak - meh, but a different kind of meh than Revo's overcomposed music for BDFF (or really anything he touches).

EDIT: Finally managed to beat the boss in the Forest Ruins, went well with strong attacks, two healing spells and Water Shield for defence.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:44:04 PM by AnGer »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
What party were you running? I was able to do the deed with a very role-based Defender(with decent attack), Attacker(Wielding a broadsword) and a Defender with a Medicine Box. I actually hadn't found the Water Shield before the battle, but I just kept nabbing the Water Contract from her so that her spells were useless.

As for the music, it's definitely better than BD just because it's more restrained, and you don't have to make turn-based music a bombastic display all moments. The dungeon themes just feel a bit more in-line with the atmosphere and visual style, and are a bit more memorable than BD's, but that might also be the case because BD's dungeons were terrible.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:08:04 PM by Evan_B »

Offline AnGer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 06:36:26 PM »
I was running Meurs, Bianca and Garnet with three formations. Garnet was always used for Guard, Meurs and Bianca were on Attack in one (the one you get to use right off the bat), both on Support in another and Bianca on Attack and Meurs on Support in the third one. First round I used the "Dual Support" formation to get the Water Contract and use Water Shield. Then I used the formation with two attackers until either one of the characters (most likely Garnet) ran short of HP or Water Shield ceased. The spell was a huge help since it reduced most of the enemies' attacks by roughly 1/2.

Yes, the music is definitely more restrained, but some parts of it feel like Hamauzu took them directly from some of his other works. Still, I agree that it's more appropriate than Revo's overblown, almost theatralically pseudo-epic style.

EDIT: Evan_B, have you encountered a darkened area after beating the Golem in the temple and restoring the orb with its core? I'm currently on the hunt for the large shadow monster but cannot find one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:24:16 AM by AnGer »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »
I have encountered such a map, and interestingly enough it appeared in a section I had already filled before- but what happens is the map becomes blank again. Unless you already knew that- anyway, I didn't take my chances since I heard the monster that lurks there is three times as strong and I didn't want to mess with it under-equipped, as they also advise you to pick up some more hefty equipment. I did that, but now I've been on the hunt for another encounter and I haven't been able to find success. That sucks.

However, I did note the appearance of a new mini boss in the first map (blanking on the name right now, but not Forest Ruins), which triggers new dialogue and might unlock some new skills upon engaging.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 07:41:25 PM »
I'm about eleven hours into The Legend of Legacy, and I'm really digging the game. The combat system continues to impress me, and I cannot tell you how much I enjoy playing a game where weapon, stat, and ability growth requires you to willingly throw yourself into insane situations. I just got off of a massive stat boost playing against one of the roaming Griffons in Roaring Valley and man, did that feel good.

Also, I found some information on certain character attributes, as in, what stats and weapons are most likely to boost as well as the few characters who have double healing added to any support ability they possess. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to post the list. I can see myself replaying this game with many different characters and party builds.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »
I tried out a bit of the demo, and this game seems interesting, but particularly obtuse as the game doesn't really explain most things. I might still buy it at some point, but it seems I'll have to reference an FAQ to figure out how things work, which might be a pain.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
The manual that comes with the demo and the full game is actually quite helpful, trust me.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
After much consideration (and hearing how James Jones is stumbling through the opening of the game), I've decided to post a Legend of Legacy self-help guide. Enjoy.

Affinities:
-Obviously, gaining skills is a major part of the game, but certain characters actually have innate affinities, as well. Subtle clues like their character profile might help glean what their innate affinities are, and of course, the weapons they begin with are innate. But this extends beyond weapon skills and also includes the three base stats and magic.

-Character affinities are-
>Muers - HP, SP, S-Sword, Spear, Staff, Bow, Shield, Water, Air, Fire
>Bianca - Fist, S-Short, L-Sword, Axe, Spear, Staff, Bow, Shield, Water, Air, Fire
>Liber - Fist, S-Sword, Axe, Bow, Water, 2x Healing + Medicine Box/Health Pack/Emergency Kit/Healing Charms
>Garnet - HP, Fist, S-Sword, L-Sword, Spear, Bow, Shield, Water
>Owen - HP, S-Sword, L-Sword, Axe, Spear, Staff, Shield, Air, 2x Healing + Medicine Box/Health Pack/Emergency Kit/Healing Charms
>Eloise - SP, Fist, Staff, Air, Fire, 2x Healing + Medicine Box/Health Pack/Emergency Kit/Healing Charms
>Filmia - HP, S-Sword, L-Sword, Axe, Spear, Staff, Bow, Water

Growth:
-Of course, affinities are just what a character has the highest potential to grow. But weapon skills and magic can also grow within the base stats. This is determined by what stance a character takes in battle as well as the types of battles you fight. Making sure your stances are in proper order is very important, as is utilizing the right skills within those stances. Boosting an art skill (a weapon attack) or charm skill (magic attacks) in an improper stance won't be much help at all.

>Art Skills that are based around attacking and guarding excel in their respective stances.
>Charm Skills are based around attacking and support. Offensive skills are best suited to attacking, while healing, buffs, and debuffs are suited for support stance.

-Now, you can use these skills with other stances, but they are less likely to grow when not in a stance that suits them. It is important to balance them depending on your most frequently used formations. Keep in mind that the overall base stat has a factor in the power or proficiency of the move as well as the base stat of the move. The move's power also plays a role, which is possibly most important. A move with the power of 3 might never really become viable without extensive growth in a base stat.

-The most important question of all is "how to encourage growth?" This is something that contributes greatly to character and map progression, so thankfully, the answer is quite simple.

>Art and Charm Skills have the highest chance of growth or awakening in "gimmick" battles and boss battles. Gimmick battles are those that are the specialty of the map. For example, a rare mob or a mob that appears in a special fashion. For example, that shadow panthers hiding in the trees in the first map.
>Base Stats have the highest chance of growth when the party members use their respective stance and the skills that fit into them. In the case of HP and SP, neither stat has a specific trigger for growth- they do so based on the affinity the character in question has for them.

-Charm skills also have a decent chance at awakening in normal battles as well, especially when used in high frequency. It is important to remember that battles in which the odds are stacked against the player are more likely to encourage growth. This is also why ambushes are good opportunities for growth. The key to remember is this- you can force growth of art and charm skills without defeating an enemy, as they will remain even if you run from a battle. Many people do not realize this since many ambushes, gimmicks, and bosses cannot be escaped.

>ART SKILLS AWAKEN RANDOMLY AND VARY GREATLY IN SP COST. CHARM SKILLS AWAKEN VIA TIERS, THOUGH ALL CAN BE FOUND AND AWAKENED THROUGH WHISPERING STONES.

Elementals:
-One of the trickiest mechanics of the game is the use of Elemental Contracts in utilizing magic. There are a few important rules of Elemental Contracts to remember-

>Contracts weaken over time, and their benefits will do so, as well. It is possible and viable to strengthen contracts depending on the element you need in battle.

>Charm Skills can be utilized with a Singing Stone once Awakened. Charm Skills CANNOT be utilized WITHOUT a character possessing a Singing or Whispering Stone of their element.

>Dominance depends on the strength of all elements on the field and contributes to the strength, accuracy, and duration of all Charm Skills. DOMINANCE EFFECTS THE FIELD ON BOTH SIDES: Fire doubles Physical damage, Air Halves Physical Damage, Water Halves Elemental Damage, and Shadow Doubles Elemental Damage.

>Enemies have elemental affinities, and usually have a visual cue which gives these away. The encyclopedia does not detail these.

>Devices present on the map can gift the party with an automatic Contract if both a battle begins in close proximity and they have been activated, beneficial for grinding.

>Weapons can have elemental affinity, which can drastically boost or diminish in strength depending on field dominance, NOT contract.

-Keep all of these in mind, especially when tackling particular maps. Again, the affinity of a map also contributes to field dominance and it may be wise to equip party members depending on this.

Economy:
-Materials are few and far between, and defeating Shadow Titans may require exploitation of the economy. A few things to remember:

>Selling Maps upgrades the goods in the shop.

>Hiring Ships is benefited by Streetpass interaction, but can also contribute greatly to your economy in lieu of duplicate drops, and often pays for itself.

>EVERYTHING THE SHOP HAS USUALLY SUCKS save for Star Herbs.

With all that in mind, have fun with Legend of Legacy! It can be exploited despite its randomized nature. It can be frustrating, but highly rewarding when you catch the game within its own trappings.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:56:37 PM by Evan_B »

Offline AnGer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »
have fun with Legend of Legacy!
I'd love to, but my copy still hasn't arrived.  :-\

NVM, look what just got dropped off.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:50:24 AM by AnGer »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
For some reason I didn't think a demo would have a manual. Oh well, I'll remember to check that out when I get the full game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
Thanks for turning me off of Bravely Default. I was on the fence about it and you just solidly placed me in the "no" camp.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
After playing the first BD game, I'm tentatively curious about the second. However, that's only because they have already made the first game and there's no way it could be as painfully mediocre as that. It is a direct continuation of the first story though, which again makes me hesitant.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
So the game is $20 on amazon.com right now... price has been fluctuating up and down by a few dollars, but it's consistently been under $25.  Good value?  For those of us who haven't tried the game yet, does it come recommended?

(Shame it's still $50 in Canada. Our currency is almost worthless, but sadly that only affects how much I can afford to buy and not how much I get paid.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 10:46:46 PM »
For 20 bucks, you get an RPG with a playtime of around 35-40 hours on the first run that is replayable at least twice because of the large variation in weapon affinity and team builds, and upon replaying probably falls to around a 20-25 hour playthrough.

I think the game is immensely charming despite its open-ended structure and plot. If you want something that is turn-based but definitely quite unlike traditional turn-based, I'd say go for it. If that doesn't really gel with your tastes, go for it when it drops under 15.