Author Topic: There are still 800 and something pokemon to catch: Now with more ribbons  (Read 60276 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Yeah, with most of the legendaries down I can basically focus on hatching eggs and a bit of evolution to get what I need. Kanto and Johto are now completely clear.

It's interesting because all this time I've still been accepting battle challenges and, long story short my main competitive team is basically setup to basically try to cripple an opposing team enough that my Charizard can come in late in the game and preform a lategame sweep because I already destroyed anything that my opponent has to try and counter it.

However apparently random bottlers have realized how threatening the move Stealth Rock can be because it's a move that I've seen alot of people try to use against me, and for those who don't know, Stealth Rock is a move that when you use it, causes any pokemon your opponent switches in to lose a certain percentage of it's health based on how much of a resistance that pokemon has to rock type attacks.

Charizard's Fire/Flying typing has a 4x weakness to rock type attacks which means it loses up to 50% of it's health upon entry. That's a bit of a problem.

It's definitely a problem but it isn't one that I wasn't aware of. The move Defog can be used to counter Stealth Rock and is also an HM in platinum so I made sure to have a Scyther learn it and then had it transferred up along with the Shinnoh Legendaries (well technically it was transferred up with Lugia because it wouldn't let me transfer that Scyther from platinum because Defog is an HM move there) because for whatever reason Scyther can pass on Defog as an egg move which is really handy because I happen to have it's evolved form, Scizor on my main team.

Also I should mention that the Scyther I transferred up happened to have a Perfect I.V. in Attack.

Long story short I know what I'll be doing when I'm done here.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I admire your tenacity. And the fact that you have a nice competitive team. I try to break expectations rather than embrace them, myself. I skipped on ORAS so I don't have some of the new Megas that I'd like to try, but in X and Y, my team was structured as such:
Granbull with Def/HP EVs, used primarily for walling and thunder waving, with chip damage here and there.
Flygon for scouting and Earthquakes. Can he learn Dragon Tail? I feel like that would drastically increase his viability. So would a Mega, of course...
Entry Hazard Scolipede with Swarm for an extra salty Megahorn before passing out.
Mega Abomasnow for maximum pain. Destroying folks with Ice Shard and Blizzard never felt so good.
The fifth slot would swing between a very solid Electivire with good type coverage and a Lucario for breaking Fairy walls.
The Sixth slot, however, was always a Zoroark. The mind games, they are my favorite. Zoroark is one of my favorite Pokemon because of that neat ability.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
And yeah, Flygon can Dragon Tail.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Dragon tail automatically goes last, though, correct?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I do run a Lapras on my team alot. It's really good at catching people off guard.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Do you follow tiered play at all, Pokepal?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Somewhat, but the main source for that (at least for singles, which I prefer) is from smogon which, while I respect what they do, I kinda have this let peeve over them that, you know what, let me just show it to you.

Here is Blissy's analysis thing. Notice the number of times the move Wish is used in their moveset because there is something special about that.

You see there is only one way to legitimately get a Blissy with Wish and that is to go to the Pokemon Center Store in New York between the dates December 16, 2004, and January 2, 2005 with a copy of Fire Red and Leaf Green and receive a special egg that contains a Chansey that knows Wish... if that egg doesn't hatch into one of the other 5 pokemon that were in that distribution.

Or here's one, about The Best Defoggers in The 6th Generation Metagame, only two of which you can actually have learn Defog in a 6th Gen Game, and one of those two (My main man Scizor, woot woot) requires you to transfer a Pokémon from a previous generation as I did that can pass on Defog as an Egg Move. It's not that they don't know this, heck, they outright admit that Mandibuzz is the only pokemon there that could learn Defog before the Bank released, it's just that for whatever reason they choose to ignore it.

In Gen 6 gamefreak requires that pokemon used in any ranked modes/tournaments have originated from a Gen 6 game and it's a move I agree with. A Pokémon should be viable in the current metagame because of the moves it can learn in the game's associated with said metagame, not because of a move it can leare from some one-use tutor in FR/LG.

It's just something that kinda bugs me.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Wow. That's very interesting. I've only gone on to Smogon a few times for advice on movesets, but I've never encountered those sorts of entries (mostly because who uses Blissey and Defog is dumb, no, I jest). But I do think your claim is valid, but with the inclusion of the RBY Pokebank shenanigans, we'll be seeing the emergence of some strange Pokemon in competitive play for Sun and Moon. I mean, especially because of the transfer up from Gen 1 to Gen 6 mechanics- what sort of abilities will these Pokemon have, and whatnot? But while transferring up used to be a nice way of keeping your steady collection, I think it should really only serve that purpose, and shouldn't factor into competitive play. I liken it to fighting games- patches, or new versions come out and make the old builds obsolete for a reason.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
So let's try to clear this off for good.

I have a legit shiny dugtrio for their first person to trade me an xerneas.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
From May 11-17 you can download a Shiny Xerneas, and from May 20-26 you can get Shiny Yveltel!

Nevermind then. I guess Game Freak decided to bail me out on this one. Thanks guys.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Tornadus is a bit of a pain to get. you get him by having both Thundurus and Landorus
in your party and going to certain locations in B/W or ORAS. The problem is in ORAS the Thundurus and Landorus you use to get Tornadus have to come from ORAS so even though I have both Thundurus and Landorus the game won't recognize them as valid because they both came from Black and White and I can't send them back to Black and White to trigger the event either.

You can get all three by using Pokemon Dream Radar but that requires me to play a reskin of Face Raiders.

So the original plan was to use Pokemon Dream Radar to get a Thundurus and use it along with the Landorus I could get in Pokemon Black to trigger the event but the Thundurus I got from Dream Radar can't be traded over unless I find out where they I need to go to revert it to its original form because the ones from Dream Radar came in a special form that isn't in B/W1.

Well... I suppose I could at least get a Dream Ball Togepi from the Dream Radar. That's nice I guess.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
You can do it!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
You can get all three by using Pokemon Dream Radar but that requires me to play a reskin of Face Raiders.

So the original plan was to use Pokemon Dream Radar to get a Thundurus and use it along with the Landorus I could get in Pokemon Black to trigger the event but the Thundurus I got from Dream Radar can't be traded over unless I find out where they I need to go to revert it to its original form because the ones from Dream Radar came in a special form that isn't in B/W1.

Abundant Shrine, requires the Landorus from Dream Radar (#Serebii confirmed):
http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/formchange.shtml
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
So when are you going to change the title too, 800 and something Pokemon TO HOARD!
Made you look ****.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
New trailer + a heap of footage from the Japanese Pokemon YouTube.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Ooh! Thanks for posting all that, TOPHATANT123!
I've been playing Pokemon Rumble World, and it's been introducing me to a bunch of the newer Pokemon I've missed out on.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Meanwhile back to the topic at hand I literally have four pokemon left before I have this thing finally wrapped up outside of the event only stuff so...

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
So when are you going to change the title too, 800 and something Pokemon TO HOARD!
Actually it's interesting you bring that up. Basically we can expect every pokemon who is introduced in Sun and Moon to show up in Sun and Moon so thus maintaining a Living Dex should be simple enough. Remember the entire living part of this adventure was run from my Omega Ruby save file which is the main reason that Gen 3 went down so easily.

Honestly a lot of the more annoying stuff is from the fact that if you aren't good at the more advanced super training minigames you're somewhat low on options to get the more rare evolutionary stones.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Actually it's interesting you bring that up. Basically we can expect every pokemon who is introduced in Sun and Moon to show up in Sun and Moon so thus maintaining a Living Dex should be simple enough. Remember the entire living part of this adventure was run from my Omega Ruby save file which is the main reason that Gen 3 went down so easily.

Honestly a lot of the more annoying stuff is from the fact that if you aren't good at the more advanced super training minigames you're somewhat low on options to get the more rare evolutionary stones.

He can't hear you anymore.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
And it's all your fault!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Who needs help catching Pokemon?

I have at least 2 of every Pokemon outside of certain mythical Pokemon that are only giveaways. I keep one set of the 720 Pokemon in Pokemon bank and one set on my Pokemon Y. If something should happen to one or the other at least I have them all elsewhere.

I have Sturdy Tyrant with Dragon Dance and Marvel Scale Dratini with Extreme Speed. Both of these Pokemon are fairly difficult to get because you can't just get them in game. If I give you one, then you have a great tool to constantly trade for almost anything you need in the future. Got 2 Heartens, a Zekrom, Reshiram, Crecelia and all kinds of great stuff from these two Pokemon.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I think I may try to fill out my 'dex towards the end of the summer.  Gonna convert my Y team to a capture team.  I'll post here if I need anything.  I think I'll try to do it by getting one region at a time.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
So it's been a bit so I might as well go back to this. I caught all the Ultra Beasts except the ones that are exclusive to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and I only have two of the Tapus Wonder Trading my gen 6 breeding rejects has filled a lot of spots in my Dex (and it got me a jolly magikarp with perfect IVs) and other than that I'm good to go. Compared to the massive undertaking that was doing a living dex from the start just capping off the newguys is more like minor housekeeping than anything.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
That's awesome!

I think I'll have less going on IRL this upcoming summer, so I think I'll try and do a living 'dex.  With Gens 1 and 2 on the 3DS, I think I should be good through the first 3 gens.  Plus, I want an excuse to play through Gold and Silver a time or two.