Author Topic: There are still 800 and something pokemon to catch: Now with more ribbons  (Read 60432 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I am likely going to re-buy the copy of Pearl I returned to Gamestop despite its high price, just because I feel a great amount of nostalgia for that game lately. It's my favorite region, by far.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Platinum is a way better version, try to pick that up.
Made you look ****.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Agreed, go for Platinum for the extra quests and monsters.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
It even fixes a bunch of minor technical issues Diamond and Pearl had (surfing speed.)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I now have 6 badges which means it's off to that long trek through mount coronet and the snow routes and... Holy **** I forgot how good this music was.

I seriously think D/P/Pt has some of the best route music right now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:11:53 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
But Platinum has the worst Legendary at the forefront.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
But you can get the other two as well so you have all 3.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Valid.

There's going to be more than 800 Pokemon this time next year. Playing through Red has me all nostalgic.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Going back and playing them again... Red and Blue suck *waits for the rocks to be thrown*
Hear me out, Maybe it's Nostalgia that i don't have ( i grew up with Ruby) but Red and Blue lack so many features. If you want a good trip to Kanto, play Soulsliver and Heartgold I honestly think that the Platinum arc is the best but they come in a close second.
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
If you didn't play the games when they released, it's hard to understand their appeal. To anyone that didn't, it might feel like they're missing something, but for those that played it on release, every game since has added things that make the original experience better.

HeartGold and SoulSilver possess abilities and the physical/special split, as well as the running shoes and Pokemon following mechanic (which is really lovely, despite having little use), and in that way, it's the closest to "modern" Pokemon you can get. But Gold and Silver before it were the definitive trek through Kanto, to me, despite the region being smaller.

In terms of regions having "character", I would agree that Sinnoh has the most personality. Mt. Coronet might be a massive obstacle that splits the world in two (or three, really), but it is this feature that you constantly return to and gain new ways of traversing, and finally reaching its peak feels like a very great accomplishment, in terms of the franchise. While the water of Hoenn felt more like a nuisance because of its size (and the ridiculousness of Dive), Coronet was just a big feature. Not to mention, the different areas around Coronet had tons of variety and personality in themselves. It didn't feel like these massive, inexplicable terrain differences- the Northern region was predictably snowy, the Western region was tame and flowery, and the Eastern region was a mix of marshland and shores.

Man, I want to go back and play those games.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Man, Cyrus was a pain in the neck to deal with. Thank goodness it's smooth sailing from here and i'll never have to deal with that agai- oh crap.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:53:02 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I wound up importing the Lapras I was using in my HG file along with the Snorlax you find in that game to try and help myself out here.

There's a reason I'm concerned about Cynthia and it's because of this:

Six pokemon with amazing offensive coverage and, to make matters worse a perfect set of I.V.s.

Just for the sake of comparison, none of the Pokemon I use in online battles in Omega Ruby have a perfect set of I.Vs because my only two I.V. bred pokemon, Charizard and Tyranitar, both focus entirely on physical attacks so it just isn't practical to give them perfect I.Vs in Special attack.

My point is, I know first hand the kind of difference having perfect I.V.s has on your pokemon and that frightens me.

Snorlax wound up learning thunder punch from a shard tutor to deal with Milotic but Lucario still presents a problem to me because my usual counter for it is the Charizard I'm using which will just get nuked to oblivion with stone edge.

I'll have to find the TM for Earthquake and teach it to my Scizor.

Lapras and Charizard should be able to handle Garchomp, that Togekiss can be clipped by both Snorlax and Lapras, and I still have Empoleon and my own Roserade to back me up if needed. Spiritomb I'll just have to try and power my way through. With proper leveling I should be able to handle this.

I also need to keep an eye on the Shinnoh regional dex because I need to get that filled in order to get the legendary birds to start roaming.

And yes, I did trade myself a charmander at the start of the game, deal with it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:44:52 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I'm surprised at the level of thought you've put into your Elite Four approach.

I pretty much steamrolled her lineup with Torterra.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
The AI in platinum got significant buffs from D/P from what I've heard and I've seen more then enough evidence to believe it (they will abuse any type advantage they can, average trainers will switch out on me quite frequently, etc.)

Basically I'm preparing for the worst.

The issue is the team I have has been repeatedly proven to have glaring issues in some of the game's tougher fights.

Although I'm having no such issues catching Azelf and Uxie. Roserade use stun spore, Scizor use false swipe, go dusk ball, done deal.

Anyways, with those two taken care of it's time to send some of my team to Heart Gold so they can earn ludicrous amounts of boosted experience taking on some Kanto Gyms for me. At this rate people might start thinking I'm not mostly just making it up as I go. :D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:02:38 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Since I don't really have as much expendable income, I'm probably going back to SoulSilver, myself.

Snorlax is annoying as hell in Red/Blue. Stupid Rest, healing fully and causing my status effects to go away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Groudon does the same thing in Omega Ruby.

Although the one I got has a sassy nature so I'm really enjoying that mental image.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Got time to waste? Spend it by narrowing down your favourite Pokémon!
https://t.co/xHBhPzlMEE

My top ten are Cyndaquil, Charmander, Celibi, Oddish, Psyduck, Infernape, Vileplume, Corphish, Typlosion, and in 10th place Flaaffy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:12:18 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Damn you TOP, I just did the dirty deed.

I was surprised to see what made it to the top 10. Mine were
1: Lugia
2: Charizard
3: Granbull
4: Zoroark
5: Typhlosion
6: Nidoking
7: Donphan
8: Scolipede
9: Rampardos
10: Azurill

I'm most surprised to see a Legendary at the top of my list, but my favorite movie was Pokemon 2000 so I guess it makes sense. However, my favorites like Raikou, Lucario, Lopunny, and Vespiquen were absent as well. I'm proud to say that my list has a variety from across generations, and that there's likely a reason there's no Gen 3 Pokemon there. Gen 6 made me fall in love with Pokemon like Granbull again because of their new typing, but I can't say I enjoyed any of the new Pokemon all that much.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
We all know the third movie is the only one that's good.

Also Platinum got cleared a while back so now that I have most of the legendaries I can just start playing for loose ends.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Unown as the villain? They don't even have an agenda, they're just enabling some stupid girl's dreams.

2000 is all about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pBcUjhaydQ

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
We can all agree that (for Pokemon wise) Gen 5 sucks.
Made you look ****.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Eh, the more original designs like Volcanora are actually pretty sweet imo.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I don't know about that. Heaviest bug (Scolipede), awesome fighting duo (well, really more Sawk than Throh), personal favorite Zoroark, zero-weakness Elektross, and awesome Galvantula!

But everything else sucked. Especially the legendaries. The alternate forms of the Djinni trio saved them somewhat, but the four musketeers were stupid looking. I would argue that Gen 5 or Gen 6 have the worst designs. Only a handful of both Gens' Pokemon have great usefulness, but Gen 6 just has a lot of stupid Fairy types that don't look so great. Likewise, Garbador and Vanilluxe are crimes against humanity.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:30:29 PM by Evan_B »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
I used to hate on Gen 3-5 more, but looking back there are a lot of good designs there if you look. Every gen has its Pidgeys, Rattatats, and Zubats that we love to hate.

A lot of designs I newly discovered and like are actually from Gen 4/5. Since I kind of lost interest in Pokemon during that time I can see how I glossed over the entire generation and missed some of the better monsters.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
As I said before, I came back into Pokemon at Gen 4 so there's a lot from that Generation I really like. Skipping Gen 3 and rediscovering those Pokemon didn't do the same thing for me, though. I genuinely dislike a vast majority of those Pokemon outside of Flygon and a few others.

Gen 2 and Gen 4 are just about even, for me.