Author Topic: Water Repair  (Read 1085 times)

Offline pandaradox

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Water Repair
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:14:01 AM »
Hey all:

So I recently tried to install a screen protector that needs to be wet to handle and install.  Some of it managed to get into the speakers and cameras.  The system started powering off and the outer cameras started giving an error and it wouldn't stay on in sleep mode when it did turn on.  I'm posting this in case something similar happens to someone else.  Pool season is coming up and we wouldn't want to interrupt 3D photography of bikini season :)

Need:

-Hot air source:  I used a space heater and hairdryer
-Straw
-Electrical tape
-Privacy (just better to not have to explain this to people passing by)

Slide the 3D slider to full on and tape one end of the straw to the space below the slider (should be preventing the slider from sliding down).  Use enough tape to seal off the straw.  Next use your hot air to heat the system from the bottom (technically top of the closed system where the outer cameras are) to force the majority of moisture to the screen side.  If you let it cool, you should see condensation on the inside of that screen.  Next, and this is where the privacy comes handy, use the straw to suck out the moist air.  Reapply heat to get the moisture to evaporate easier, allowing easier removal. 

I know this sounds weird, but it possibly just saved me a 3DS as water damage can easily be ruled as negligence and voids warranty.  Moreover, letting the system sit to dry can take forever given the small spaces and in the odd chance that you can send it in for repairs, that can take a while and be a hassle.  I don't have an error when accessing the camera and the system is back to charging and staying on in sleep mode. One camera is showing static, but it still has a small drop that may be interfering with it.  I'll update if that doesn't go away as it dries more. 

If this at least helps one person, it was worth it. 

Update:  The cameras are giving the error again.  Everything else is working fine.  Time to send in for repairs... *foghorn*

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:01:50 PM by pandaradox »